gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:29:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Beach Boys: 25 Years Together - A Celebration In Waikiki
5 - 1 (4.2%)
4 - 7 (29.2%)
3 - 1 (4.2%)
2 - 6 (25%)
1 - 5 (20.8%)
0 - 4 (16.7%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys: 25 Years Together - A Celebration In Waikiki  (Read 55448 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 16, 2006, 07:59:06 PM »

Discuss, review and rate The Beach Boys: 25 Years Together - A Celebration In Waikiki, released?

« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 08:02:14 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 05:59:17 AM »

I recently acquired the BB 25 years together DVD off Play.com for £6.99. I had no idea this was even officially released because I have never seen it anywhere. The packaging is very poor, and the correct track sequencing isn't even on the back. When you skip to the next song while watching, it sometimes contains 2 or more songs within one track, but as far as i can ascetain, it is the whole show. The show itself is hilarious and is probably a definitive example of why some people have a low opinion of the Beach Boys, it is beyond cheese. Its good to see Brian on stage, though much of the time he is just shouting and doesn't sing that much apart from the excruciating but amusing version of 'Spirit of rock'n'roll' at the finale. I'd like to hear anyone elses opinions on this.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 06:17:23 AM »

Ray Charles on "God Vibrations" and especially "SOS" is ass-kicking great !  Everly's do a good job. The only poor performance imo is "Rock'n'Roll music", though it's done okay, it sounds incomplete.  I also don't like that some of the BBs vocals were done in studio. The gags in between the songs are.....not funny, to say the least

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 08:20:19 AM »

I recently acquired the BB 25 years together DVD off Play.com for £6.99. I had no idea this was even officially released because I have never seen it anywhere. The packaging is very poor, and the correct track sequencing isn't even on the back. When you skip to the next song while watching, it sometimes contains 2 or more songs within one track, but as far as i can ascetain, it is the whole show. The show itself is hilarious and is probably a definitive example of why some people have a low opinion of the Beach Boys, it is beyond cheese. Its good to see Brian on stage, though much of the time he is just shouting and doesn't sing that much apart from the excruciating but amusing version of 'Spirit of rock'n'roll' at the finale. I'd like to hear anyone elses opinions on this.

There's really not much I can add to this. I don't really like this DVD cause it doesn't represent the Beach Boys that I like. This is clearly a DVD for people that know the Beach Boys from Full House and Kokomo. It's embarrassing.
Jason
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 08:21:22 AM »

This isn't an official DVD, it's a Japanese "import". I use the term import VERY loosely. It's recorded from the TV broadcast.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 08:22:21 AM »

Ray Charles on "God Vibrations" and especially "SOS" is ass-kicking great !  Everly's do a good job. The only poor performance imo is "Rock'n'Roll music", though it's done okay, it sounds incomplete.  I also don't like that some of the BBs vocals were done in studio. The gags in between the songs are.....not funny, to say the least

Every single word that's spoken in between songs was obviously rehearsed. Most of what you hear isn't even live, once you even see the drummer walking away from his drumkit after a song while you still hear him playing!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 09:18:10 AM »

Every single word that's spoken in between songs was obviously rehearsed. Most of what you hear isn't even live, once you even see the drummer walking away from his drumkit after a song while you still hear him playing!

I seem to remember that Lauri Klobas, former president of the Brian Wilson fan club, said that she (and possibly her husband) worked on the cue cards for that show. IIRC, she said that every single word -- including song lyrics -- was on cue cards and basically they just read everything, as if we couldn't tell. What's really amusing is that at one point Brian is standing behind Mike and he's actually squinting and reading the cue card, mouthing Mike's words with him! You'd probably think "Brian's got a line coming up or something..." well, he didn't!

Ever notice how far away Brian is positioned from the rest of the group? And how many freakin' keyboards there are among the Beach Boys and the backing musicians?

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Jardine Power!
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep it clean with Al Jardine.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 09:28:13 AM »

That DVD made me cringe. I had a hard time watching it.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 11:33:24 AM »

My favorite part is the scripted and insincere "tribute" to Dennis.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 12:21:19 PM »

whatd they do for the tribute?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 12:25:10 PM »

Carl sang Heaven. Every time they sing it they think about it. Dont know why it wasnt a standard song after Dennis died ?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 12:28:30 PM »

Some cuecarded remarks and a nice Carl performance of Heaven.
Gloria Loring singing I Can Hear Music will make you want to rip your eyes and ears off.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 04:02:55 PM »

There's really not much I can add to this. I don't really like this DVD cause it doesn't represent the Beach Boys that I like. This is clearly a DVD for people that know the Beach Boys from Full House and Kokomo. It's embarrassing.

Except that this special predates both Full House and Kokomo...it was taped in late '86 and aired in early '87.  I taped it as it aired, and still have the VHS tape.  Surprisingly, the picture quality hasn't deteriorated much.

I never realized how funny this special is until I watched it with several fellow Brianistas.  In company like that, you tend to notice things...like how Glen Campbell has to keep reaching around to pull out the wedgie caused by his snug, snug Ocean Pacific corduroy short-shorts (the height of beachwear in those days...). 
Or how during one of the times when Mike is reading off the cue cards, Brian is directly behind him mouthing the words as well.
Or during another intro, when a shirtless, glazed-eyed Brian wanders past in the background.

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2006, 08:25:36 AM »

Or how during one of the times when Mike is reading off the cue cards, Brian is directly behind him mouthing the words as well.

At which point is that?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 01:28:58 PM »

Except that this special predates both Full House and Kokomo...it was taped in late '86 and aired in early '87. 

I know, I was just trying to describe the type of public that the special was aimed at. People that aren't aware that the Beach Boys did anything between Good Vibrations and Kokomo. You know 'em, they're all around you.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2006, 04:39:11 AM »

whatd they do for the tribute?

The insincere tribute to Dennis that Ian mentioned??

Well, I'm too frightened to dig out our VHS copy, so this is going by memory...

Carl gave a brief spiel about Dennis, and said something like "This next song is about where he is right now." And Carl sang "Heaven," and even though the song itself isn't a song about loss, Carl obviously had a hard time getting through it, but he did. And afterwards Brian said this: "We love you, man, and we want you to know...you'll always be with us wherever you go." Kind of embarrassing, really.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2006, 08:34:09 AM »

A lot of you might have seen this already, but just found a video of Brian and the Boys performing "The Spirit Of Rock and Roll":

The Spirt Of Rock and Roll

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2006, 09:14:32 AM »

They look so young.  And thin.

Is that Danny Hutton and Glen Campbell on the stage with them?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 09:18:51 AM by Charles LePage » Logged

Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2006, 09:54:55 AM »

Cool. I don't actually know that song, so that's good to hear. Brian sings pretty well and he looks comfortable onstage!

Watch out for snakes!
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2006, 09:57:32 AM »

Which does lead me to sadly wonder, it's a shame the drugs Dr. Landy had Brian on that made him so coherent and apparently clear headed also caused other damage. 

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2006, 10:34:02 AM »

Yep. It's from the 25th Anniversayr. Also on stage with the Boys were Ray Charles, The Everly Brothers and other co-stars...

- Jack Rieley
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2006, 10:36:41 AM »

Yep. It's from the 25th Anniversayr. Also on stage with the Boys were Ray Charles, The Everly Brothers and other co-stars...

And even all that star power couldn't save it from being an absolutely revolting performance.  The absolute nadir of the Beach Boys (with Brian and Carl), with one   brief moment of redemption-- a full band version of Carl's "Heaven", dedicated to Dennis.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2006, 10:48:16 AM »

And even all that star power couldn't save it from being an absolutely revolting performance.  The absolute nadir of the Beach Boys (with Brian and Carl), with one   brief moment of redemption-- a full band version of Carl's "Heaven", dedicated to Dennis.

I remember seeing the BBs perform Heaven in Jacksonville in the 80's, after Dennis died.  Great stuff.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2006, 11:52:44 AM »

Have to respectfully disagree here -- I think Brian looks terrible. He sounds good, yes, but just look at that man's face. It's tortured. Or so it seems to me. The difference between that kind of performance and Brian's recent appearances is night and day. To me, at least, it seems all about being comfortable.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2006, 11:58:09 AM »

'Course he sounds good - he's lip-synching to a studio track. That or it was post-dubbed. Live it ain't, unless he's mastered the art of singing with himself.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx