gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680818 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 12:36:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Kokomo" is a great song  (Read 18374 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2009, 06:58:16 PM »

Brian had no lack of venom for Carl in the mid-90s, even going so far as calling Carl an butthole.

Didn't he call VDP a butthole too?  I'm glad Brian broke out and designated the buttholes.  Good for the soul.  I always say.

My take: Brian never meant to call anyone a butthole, much less VDP and Carl. But he did it. He used SSRI medication back then, and does so nowadays. I dare place a safe bet on him having used alcohol on the side. It's well known that SSRIs and alcohol lead to disinhibition. You tend to vent anything that crops up in your mind, and don't have much grasp of what you actually are saying, and what impact it might have on others.

BTW: I dare place another bet: SSRIs are sometimes in the spotlight for their adverse side effects. I'd think that in many cases observed, secret co-use of alcohol was the damaging factor.

I was a fucking monster when I was on those things - I did and said some pretty bad things, luckily most people were forgiving.

I also gained 60 pounds (which I've had a hell of a time trying to get off), picked up some really bad/odd habits for me (which I've managed to drop, thankfully) and my usually sharp memory was extremely dulled. I have very few real memories of the year 2007, I basically lost a year - it's awesome.

Would not surprise me if Brian was on some bad stuff back then, so it would not surprise me if they didn't make things worse.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2009, 02:11:47 PM »

buttfucked
It's funny what the censors don't pick up.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Wilsonista
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2009, 02:35:17 PM »

Brian seems to attract the buttholes...he just never seemed to turn his fine-tuned sense of butthole-sniffing on himself. Smiley

Shall I bend over now or later before I get buttfucked by the Brianistas for saying that? Smiley

Don't worry, I'll tell my brethren to go easy. They might even use jelly!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2009, 03:45:20 PM »

Brian is still on an SSRI -- luvox. He probably is kept away from alcohol, though.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2009, 06:09:41 AM »

Brian is still on an SSRI -- luvox. He probably is kept away from alcohol, though.

I'd guess he is. I read a few interviews in which he opens a can of Heineken, and refuses to drink more than one ('just the one', he said). So he might be strong enough himself to impose a limit and respect it.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2009, 06:15:04 AM »

The borderline diabetes is probably a contributary factor as well.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2009, 12:02:44 AM »

All this makes me think of Carl when he was sick, and how he must have felt once he knew that he didn't have much time left. In addition to his concerns about his wife, the band, etc., he must have been very concerned about Brian's future, knowing that Brian had already lost one brother and had so many emotional issues.
This post might have hit a little to close to home. Do you think Carl felt guilty for having to die? I mean, in the last month or so of his life. He knew Brian was a very fragile person, and he knew that Brian would be the last one left.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2009, 04:43:39 AM »

All this makes me think of Carl when he was sick, and how he must have felt once he knew that he didn't have much time left. In addition to his concerns about his wife, the band, etc., he must have been very concerned about Brian's future, knowing that Brian had already lost one brother and had so many emotional issues.
This post might have hit a little to close to home. Do you think Carl felt guilty for having to die? I mean, in the last month or so of his life. He knew Brian was a very fragile person, and he knew that Brian would be the last one left.

I didn't mean to offend anyone with my post. I can in no way know Carl's thoughts and feelings for sure, but I just couldn't help but empathize a bit with the situation, because I think anyone who was terminally ill and leaving behind a fragile loved one would have those concerns. And no one would have predicted that Brian would be the brother who lived the longest by far.
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2009, 08:59:21 PM »

My take is that a lot of the malice directed at "Kokomo" stemmed (and still does) from the fact that they, and not Brian, had the hit.

That's my take too.  And to go even further, I'd say that if Brian had been included on the song, even in a vocals-only capacity, the song would be regarded far more highly by BB fans.

Glenn
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2009, 09:08:04 PM »

I think that a lot of the "hate" for Kokomo is due to the simple fact that a song like that actually became a hit.

MBE
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2009, 09:24:26 PM »

I think that a lot of the "hate" for Kokomo is due to the simple fact that a song like that actually became a hit.
Exactly. It annoys me that people think that represents the talent of the group. I also wouldn't hate it as much if I hadn't had to hear 10,000 times. I still don't like it regardless though. Brian being on it wouldn't matter to me, I dislike a lot of Beach Boys 1985 just as much and he's on there. I mean if you were talking pre 1975 Brian singing on it maybe I would feel different.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2009, 09:38:59 PM »

Exactly. It annoys me that people think that represents the talent of the group. I also wouldn't hate it as much if I hadn't had to hear 10,000 times. I still don't like it regardless though. Brian being on it wouldn't matter to me, I dislike a lot of Beach Boys 1985 just as much and he's on there. I mean if you were talking pre 1975 Brian singing on it maybe I would feel different.
That's not exactly what I meant. I meant to say that I think it's the "hard core" fans that hate it, just because it became a hit. Forever, Slip On Through, Surf's Up....those are all obvious hits in the eyes of TRUE fans. But Kokomo of all things became the hit. I think the fans of AGD's stature(just as an example, no offense) resent Kokomo, because it's a "typical 80's song", and for the fact that a hit for The Beach Boys came so late in the game, so to speak.

absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2009, 01:14:48 AM »

I'd guess he is. I read a few interviews in which he opens a can of Heineken, and refuses to drink more than one ('just the one', he said). So he might be strong enough himself to impose a limit and respect it.

Speakng as the husband of someone who has been on various SSRIs, I know sometimes they can have pretty drastic effects which most certainly are made worse by significant alcohol consumption. Fortunatley for myself and my wife things are very stable with her current medication.

As for Brian, somebody asked him during the first SMiLE tour if he still takes drugs. I remember the answer was...

'Yeah! I take my medicine and sometimes after a concert I have a beer'

I expect that's about right. Brian takes whatever pills he's on these days, by and large they do him good. And sometimes he enjoys a small beer. Probably for the best.
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2009, 07:42:36 AM »

As for Brian, somebody asked him during the first SMiLE tour if he still takes drugs. I remember the answer was...

'Yeah! I take my medicine and sometimes after a concert I have a beer'

I expect that's about right. Brian takes whatever pills he's on these days, by and large they do him good. And sometimes he enjoys a small beer. Probably for the best.

Agreed.

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2009, 08:22:27 AM »

If Dennis had been alive and sung lead people woulda been creamin' themselves.  He wasn't; he didn't; it's an okay song from a once great band who lost their way over ten years earlier.

Honk! Honk!
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2009, 08:28:24 AM »

Let the man have his one beer. But, Brian, why Heineken? For a guy with his kind of money, that's so...meh.

The Brianistas should pool their spare change together and buy him a case of the real stuff.  Grin
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2009, 01:07:32 PM »

Let the man have his one beer. But, Brian, why Heineken? For a guy with his kind of money, that's so...meh.

The Brianistas should pool their spare change together and buy him a case of the real stuff.  Grin

I agree.  It's a matter of drinkability! Grin  On a related note, "Kokomo" is all about listenability (or rather lack thereof) for me rather than who does or doesn't appear on it.  Smiley
Reggie Dunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2009, 01:12:41 PM »

Yes, there's Carlsberg, Giraf, Grolsch, Orangeboom, Brand.......... ad infinitum. Smokin

Brian has good taste and doesn't have to impress anyone. Nothing wrong with a nice cold one from the Low Countries.

No Wilson's = No Beach Boys.

Beware of Imitators. Est. 2006
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2009, 01:26:16 PM »

Yes, there's Carlsberg, Giraf, Grolsch, Orangeboom, Brand.......... ad infinitum. Smokin

Brian has good taste and doesn't have to impress anyone. Nothing wrong with a nice cold one from the Low Countries.

I think Carlsberg would be very appropriate for him - or maybe Bruce County Wild.  As a tribute to Denny, he could drink some San Miguel.  And let's not forget Mike's Hard Lemonade.
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2009, 02:11:22 PM »

I can't remember if they had a bar or served drinks at the Beach Boys Cafe in Hermosa Beach! But if they did, they just HAD to have a "Kokomo" cocktail!

Perhaps some Mike's Hard Lemonaid w some gin and grenadine.... or something!

They also should've served a "Brian Wilson special" .... Huge steak with a side of cigarettes and an urn of coffee!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2009, 02:24:46 PM »

They also should've served a "Brian Wilson special" .... Huge steak with a side of cigarettes and an urn of coffee!

And an entire birthday cake for dessert, naturally.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2009, 02:28:17 PM »

And an entire birthday cake for dessert, naturally.

Don't forget the can of whipped cream ........ hhhmmmmm ....... gotta love those flourocarbons, straight from the can to the back of the throat!
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 23, 2009, 05:25:25 PM »

But not before an entire loaf of bread for breakfast!
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: December 23, 2009, 05:39:47 PM »

and in honor of Dennis they could have a "crash a rental car" ride out back!!!!
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 23, 2009, 05:55:49 PM »

Orangeboom beer, dreadful.  Newcastle Brown Ale, now you're talking.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx