gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 10:35:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Kokomo" is a great song  (Read 18379 times)
Island Fever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2009, 12:19:47 PM »

I wish everyone would get off Brian's sack long enough to admit that "Kokomo" is a classic pop song. You can pretend to hate on it all you want, but I have no shame in declaring my love for a worldwide smash, #1 hit.

Even Brian himself admitted it was a great song in Endless Harmony. He seemed to wish he could have been a part of it.
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 12:41:46 PM »

I like Kokomo too! It is the song that brought me into the Beach Boys World!

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
rogerlancelot
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 12:42:39 PM »

I really just don't get much of anything by the BB after (and possibly including) KTSA in 1980. I don't like the 85 album at all and can only handle Summer In Paradise if it's on in the background. "Kokomo" is an okay record and went to #1 for one week but it still sounds like 80's cheesy pop to me. And believe me, I am not a Brianista but I'll take his '88 album (at least certain songs like "Rio Grande", "Melt Away", "Baby Let Your Hair Grow Long" and "Let It Shine") over anything the BB's did as a creative unit after 1980. Except maybe "Chasin' The Sky" which is horribly overlooked.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 01:07:45 PM »

For all its faults, it brought the band back to the attention of the public and showed them that a group of 40 somethings can still have a hit.

Without it would Mike and Bruce have the attendance they have? Who knows.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 01:46:36 PM »

Not great. Good.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 01:48:44 PM »

There's just something so appaulingly cheesy about it. The production is the biggest offender, obviously, but just the same - even the songwriting is incredibly cheesy, lyrics are incredibly cheesy, and Mike's vocal is somewhat offensive. Carl's part saves it from being a total loss.

That said, I don't hate it, although that could just be for nostalgia's sake.

But sorry, I'd never call it a "great song" or say I love it.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 02:04:00 PM »

Carl's part saves it from being a total loss.

I agree.

"Jeff, you care." --BW
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 03:17:16 PM »

Carl's part saves it from being a total loss.
I agree.
Me too... trouble is that it was a good pop song, not a work of genius that we were still hoping and praying would come out of Camp BBs. And when they score with 'good', sans Brian, it reduces the chances of them every putting the effort into scoring with something 'great', with Brian. Take the point made in another thread that Brian being the be-all-and-end-all of the Beach Boys is part-Leaftopian thinking. But he's still -  even estranged all these years - the thing that made them tick.

“We live in divisive times.”
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 04:46:14 PM »

I loved hearing Brian play it on piano in that one CBS doc. from the late 90s

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 08:27:38 PM »

Kokomo soared while Brian's solo album tanked.
XY
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 10:14:05 PM »

Enjoy it everytime I hear it on the radio. Great song.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 11:14:09 PM »

Kokomo soared while Brian's solo album tanked.

I know this. It troubles me but keep in mind that "Kokomo" was also featured in a hit Tom Cruise movie at the time whereas Brian's album wasn't promoted with a tour or even a single music video.

I don't hate "Kokomo". It is a "swell" tune. It's just not a "Rio Grande" slam.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 11:29:27 PM »

Not good, but okay - and successful.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 11:59:54 PM »

It is a great hit. It deserved the hit status. Everytime I hear it in a supermarket, I feel good.

It is not Cabinessence, nor Good Vibrations or God Only Knows.

But there are many, many sh*t hits. This is a good hit.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 12:18:33 AM »

A good song and a deserved hit. Not a masterpiece but Carl's vocals are excellent, the lyrics are better than a lot of songs the band recorded and it is very catchy. Obviously being the soundtrack to Cocktail helped a lot in getting it to number one but the song's own merits played a big part too.

Brian's album wasn't that much of a flop was it? 400,000 copies I recall reading. And despite the fact that it DID get a lot of promotion, I don't think it's a big surprise that it didn't sell any better. The production isn't very good and there isn't anything on the album that could have been a hit imo. Not a massive hit anyway. I do think it's a pretty good album but, like most of the stuff that Brian did after pulling back, not that commercial.
MBE
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 02:16:28 AM »

I really just don't get much of anything by the BB after (and possibly including) KTSA in 1980. I don't like the 85 album at all and can only handle Summer In Paradise if it's on in the background. "Kokomo" is an okay record and went to #1 for one week but it still sounds like 80's cheesy pop to me. And believe me, I am not a Brianista but I'll take his '88 album (at least certain songs like "Rio Grande", "Melt Away", "Baby Let Your Hair Grow Long" and "Let It Shine") over anything the BB's did as a creative unit after 1980.

Look I love all the Beach Boys, I think 90 percent of Sweet Insanity is worse then it but I agree strongly with the above. It's not the Beach Boys worst song but they have between 150-200 songs that I like better. They are just so poorly represented here.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 03:12:34 AM »

It is a great hit. It deserved the hit status. Everytime I hear it in a supermarket, I feel good.

But there are many, many merda hits. This is a good hit.

Pretty much sums it up for me.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 03:50:09 AM »

But there are many, many merda hits. This is a good hit.

It was helped by the fact that it was used in a very successful movie.

But it really isn't bad, as pop songs go. It sounds and feels quite  a bit like the Beach Boys...you feel good and think about sunny places when you hear it.

Sure, examine it and it's no Good Vibrations....its a few steps back...but it really isn't bad.

Mike should be proud of it....but I wish he didn't always have to shout "Hey Kokomo proves I can do it without Brian".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 05:07:53 AM »

Mike's contribution to the song was limited - he came up with the "Aruba, Jamaica" riff. The rest of the song was written summer 1984 by Papa John & Scott Mackenzie

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 05:47:31 AM »

Mike's contribution to the song was limited - he came up with the "Aruba, Jamaica" riff. The rest of the song was written summer 1984 by Papa John & Scott Mackenzie

Given that, Mike's contribution would be slightly less than "Good Vibrations"? It's not that the Beach Boys were having a hit without Brian as much as they had a hit performing a John Phillips' song produced by Terry Melcher.
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 05:51:38 AM »

I was born in the mid-80's, and when I was growing up I knew Kokomo, but didn't know it was by the Beach Boys.

I had heard of the name The Beach Boys, but didn't connect the two until I decided to give the Beach Boys music a shot. It was kind of like, "Oh hey, I know that song."

At least for me, the "Aruba, Jamaica" riff AGD mentioned was by far the most memorable part of the song; until recently, I probably wouldn't have recognized the rest of the song! haha

For people my age, I think you could argue that it is the most well known (I didn't say best!) Beach Boys song. (I'm in the US).
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 06:00:57 AM »

It's a guilty pleasure. There, I've said it.  Grin

My take is that a lot of the malice directed at "Kokomo" stemmed (and still does) from the fact that they, and not Brian, had the hit.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Synth Wash
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 08:08:07 AM »

I haven't seen that clip of Brian playing piano Kokomo, but I would bet that a new version with a production that's lighter on the cheese would cause the song to be taken more seriously. The sax solo especially screams 80's cheese. I like that melody though, and I can't think of another instrument that might replace it.

"Holds and tickles and hugs out the night"
oldsurferdude
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 09:54:26 AM »

I haven't seen that clip of Brian playing piano Kokomo, but I would bet that a new version with a production that's lighter on the cheese would cause the song to be taken more seriously. The sax solo especially screams 80's cheese. I like that melody though, and I can't think of another instrument that might replace it.
try a kazoo Razz
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2009, 10:01:30 AM »

It's a guilty pleasure. There, I've said it.  Grin

My take is that a lot of the malice directed at "Kokomo" stemmed (and still does) from the fact that they, and not Brian, had the hit.

I agree all around, pal-o-mine.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx