gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680880 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 03:37:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Song Demo: Another Something Else  (Read 3445 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2009, 10:19:38 AM »

This morning a friend of mine sent me his new song, Something Else. I like the name. I wrote this (entirely different, not remotely similar in any way) song, Another Something Else. This is just a live, one-take demo of guitar and voice straight through together, then a single piano over that to sketch out some arrangement ideas. Obviously nowhere near a real recording, but I liked the tune enough to see what anyone else thinks. (No, I don't plan to hold that "later" vocal so long on any real recording ... the mood just struck.) Enjoy. http://www.sendspace.com/file/b7gk6i

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 03:31:55 PM »

This is nice, it reminded me vibe wise of Neil Young, but a lot more melodic than he can manage these days...and your high vocal on the 'later' is also a bit Neil-ish I thought. I like the voice and the guitar together it gave it a real urgency and ambience which gave the song and the subject matter a bit more weight - like you really mean it (even if you don't!), not sure if that makes any sense whatsoever....

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 04:44:11 PM »

Congratulations! You've kept your streak of naming people I dislike as comparisons. Your prize is... Thanks for the kind words, though. As for meaning it, I think you guessed correctly: nope. Fiction. But it was easy to mean while playing and singing, to be honest, especially the lower register verses. Not sure why that is.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 09:00:04 PM »

A good Al Jardine approximation with a little Brian Wilson.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 12:03:54 AM »

There is something perversely amusing at being compared to people you don't like, I get (wrongly in my opinion) accused of sounding like ELO - and I hate ELO!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 06:24:24 AM »

A good Al Jardine approximation with a little Brian Wilson.
OK, I like those guys, but can't say I hear them in the tune. (For the record, I think the verses sound like Mountain Goats; not sure what I think about the other bits.) OK, the chords are really simple, so maybe that's Jardine.  Wink  Thanks for listening.

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 07:15:06 AM »

Well, in addition to the chords, the first line of the verses reminds me of the beginning of the verses on the demo of "Santa Ana Winds", a little vocal riff you can still hear on the finished version. The acoustic guitar gives it a folksy touch. A couple of unexpected twists and turns in the song structure are the Wilson elements. It's really that brief vocal melody that made all of these connotations, I think.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 10:08:39 AM »

If there is one holy vow I could swear to, it's that Santa Ana Winds has never and will never be a conscious influence on me! (Sorry, Al ... you cheesy, persnickety midget.)

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 03:35:49 PM »

I like it. It has a nice simple feeling. Won't mention any comparisons.  Wink

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 03:57:59 PM »

I do plan to get around to doing a fleshed out version, which will hopefully make it more interesting while keeping some of that simplicity. Of course there are another couple dozen sitting in that same holding pattern, so we'll see when that actually happens.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx