gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:22:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys: Music and Sexuality  (Read 11122 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2009, 03:38:46 AM »

Isn't being a 'serious fan' a male thing in itself? I know no woman who is a collector, a hoarder, a completist in pop music.

How many Boyzone/Take That/Daniel O'Donnell fans tend to be men? The tea making gender can certainly hoard and collect as much as anyone...

LOL, you certainly got me there... although these complete collections won't last for very long, a little voice says to me.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2009, 09:02:36 AM »

I suspect they don't collect Boyzone outtakes!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2009, 12:01:43 PM »

Steve Levine?

This is silly and probably not important.  My wife has no time for the BB.  I don't really know any women who do (except for one who's gay!); most of my male friends like their music, though some aren't what you'd call fans.  None of them, however, have much time for 22 minute c*ck rock guitar solos (not that there's anything wrong with that) , though that's not to say they don't like the odd solo per se... I think the image of BW struggling with his masculinity could be refined, perhaps, to one of him struggling with the stereotypical conception of masculinity.

I've often wondered about the (stereotypical) 'rock' fan's distaste for BW's music and wondered if it's because the majority isn't guitar-derived.  At best, BW and DW were striving for 'something else' outside of the genre but with many recognisable generic elements.

You may be on to something.  Perhaps the hard rocker fan is compensating for his own uncertainties regarding sexual identity.
Or as you say, struggling with stereotypical concepts of masculinity.  Freudian psychologists refers to this sort of thing as a Reaction Formation..an ego defense mechanism employed unconciously .  The holier than thou type who secretly harbours sinful thoughts, the guy who behaves in an overtly masculine manner to hide his sensitive side.....etc.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2009, 12:08:28 PM »

Isn't being a 'serious fan' a male thing in itself? I know no woman who is a collector, a hoarder, a completist in pop music. Women tend to:

1. not being positive about a big hi-fi set in the living room;

2. asking frequently: 'don't you have enough CD's by now?'.

As for point (1), hi-fi buffs have coined the acronym: WAF (wife acceptance factor). A mini-all-in-one set will do fine, esp. if it's in pink. All other sets will inevitably lead to divorce.

HA HA! Love your posts, Don! The truth is here in my household, my wife loves to have the best hi-fi stuff (in our living room, our bedroom and her car) and she has a huge music collection. She also likes the Beach Boys and she has had me make BB compilations for her. But her choice of material ("Tears In The Morning" for instance) might be different to most of the male members here. Most of her collection is the typical "classic" rock with a few "newer" bands as well. No rap thank you!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2009, 12:32:54 PM »

I've often wondered about the (stereotypical) 'rock' fan's distaste for BW's music and wondered if it's because the majority isn't guitar-derived. 

Sometimes I wonder if age and maturity are also factors (along with insecurity about masculinity) in people's taste for macho guitar-based hard rock vs. more "effeminate" sounding music and/or music based around any other instrument than the guitar.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Jason
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2009, 03:49:27 PM »

"Perhaps the hard rocker fan is compensating for his own uncertainties regarding sexual identity."

As a hard rock/punk/heavy metal/industrial fan myself, I must say that the aforementioned description is not only ludicrous, but a goshdarn fucking ridiculous thing to say. It's nothing to do with anyone's uncertainties regarding their sexual identity. It's called "you like it or you don't".

Maybe it DOES matter if you're black or white...
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2009, 04:57:51 PM »

I've always thought Carl was a little gay.

I mean, come on.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2009, 05:41:42 PM »

RBB -- something to that, especially considering the whole gay punk scene (knew quite a few of them in college). Not a lot of confusion about identity there.

And the Carl Wilson album is kind of a cheap shot -- he's just trying his best to look smoldering. Sadly only one Wilson male could pull that off.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2009, 07:20:42 PM »

I've often wondered about the (stereotypical) 'rock' fan's distaste for BW's music and wondered if it's because the majority isn't guitar-derived. 

Sometimes I wonder if age and maturity are also factors (along with insecurity about masculinity) in people's taste for macho guitar-based hard rock vs. more "effeminate" sounding music and/or music based around any other instrument than the guitar.
Nah, it's you that just don't like "crap like Led Zeppelin". Of, now I begin to wonder how much you HATE that kind of music.  Smiley

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2009, 08:03:08 PM »

When I was playing some Beach Boys songs, some other people said they sounded gay, probably refering to Brian's falsetto. Although, I am sure that is not what you are talking about. I have always thought one of the gayest sounding groups is Queen. Of course I know the singer was.

On another note, imagine Mike Love singing 'Too Sexy for My Shirt'!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2009, 09:08:25 PM »

I mean, come on.

time to compare them...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2009, 01:28:25 AM »

I mean, come on.

time to compare them...

Hahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa  LOL LOL LOL

I take the liberty to quote in full. This comparison is sheer genius. I never was a BBs photo collector, but I might become one...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2009, 01:58:12 AM »

Isn't being a 'serious fan' a male thing in itself? I know no woman who is a collector, a hoarder, a completist in pop music. Women tend to:

1. not being positive about a big hi-fi set in the living room;

2. asking frequently: 'don't you have enough CD's by now?'.

As for point (1), hi-fi buffs have coined the acronym: WAF (wife acceptance factor). A mini-all-in-one set will do fine, esp. if it's in pink. All other sets will inevitably lead to divorce.

My wife's an exception. She's just as much of a collector as I am, and has "heard" various "outtakes" of artists that may (or may not) include Stone Temple Pilots, Daniel Johnston, Pink Floyd, 2Pac,and others.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2009, 09:09:42 AM »

I think it depends on whether you are a diehard fan....male or female.  Men tend to get more into the technical and such....like recording techniques and recording dates and stats.  Its like guys and cars or technical stuff.  Its how many cubic inches, carbon fiber, gigabytes or what ever.  Women, as with many things, and there are exceptions to stereotypes certainly, tend to lean toward the esthetics and social.  My wife likes cars becasue of the look, style I like them ofroboth style and performance attributes.  My wife likes music usyually because she can relate to the performer and what the singer or song is saying.  Me too but also interested in guitar styles, reverb, nuances such as that.

It is the difference between men and women generally.  Men's brains are dosed with testosterone at 10 weeks gestation and they are forever on unequal footing with women.
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2009, 04:37:24 PM »

I mean, come on.

The only thing missing from this picture is a bottle of cheap cider and a park bench, Carl looks like a homeless dude in this. Not one of his best...

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2009, 05:32:50 PM »

I mean, come on.

The only thing missing from this picture is a bottle of cheap cider and a park bench, Carl looks like a homeless dude in this. Not one of his best...
He looks like every hipster dude in Portland.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2009, 05:39:56 PM »

Maine or Oregon?

A discipline daddy.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2009, 05:54:47 PM »

Posed. Circa 1980
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2009, 10:13:02 AM »

Nah, it's you that just don't like "crap like Led Zeppelin". Of, now I begin to wonder how much you HATE that kind of music.  Smiley
I guess you're right. And yeah, I do hate Zeppelin (and most other c*ck rock) with a passion.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2009, 10:49:44 AM »

Perhaps this is one of the profound shortcomings of this music. It doesn't relate to an entire sensual side of human experience that so much other music does. But perhaps that's also what makes it special -- and relates it to an earlier era of sexless vocal harmony groups and Lawrence Walk arrangements -- an idealization of music as something in and of itself, more beautiful that any human passion or individual orientation.

In an age of endless Lady Gagas, Adam Lamberts, Shakiras, etc etc etc, I love and appreciate where Brian's head is/was at concerning the topic of love relationships as expressed in music.  I think you put it very well here.               

"Jeff, you care." --BW
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2009, 07:47:49 AM »

Totally agree: surely Brian Wilson has a more "classical" sensibility than many would give credit for. I'm thinking of a tune such as "Sweet Mountain" which isn't totally sexless, but which is certainly more "nuanced"
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2009, 10:54:18 AM »

Maine or Oregon?
Are there hipsters in maine?!!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2009, 06:52:51 PM »

Good point. GO DUCKS!

A discipline daddy.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile