gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:59:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 and 43 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 278 279 280 [281] 282 283 284 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399191 times)
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7000 on: April 29, 2021, 04:05:56 PM »

Thanks Craig for both of those. I should really start considering whether or not session tapes have been heard...

I have one question relating to the percussion overdubs on Time To Get Alone. Were they different from what was used in the final version (which has Vibraphone & Glockenspiel)? I heard somewhere on one of the threads that there were percussion overdubs on Oct. ‘67, which were then replaced by the vibes and glockenspiel the following year. Is that correct, or am I just tired?
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7001 on: April 30, 2021, 07:02:14 PM »

Maybe not the best question I asked...

Moving on...

Finally a non personnel question.

Why do you think that Ed Carter wasn’t used on KTSA?

And now for the question relating to personnel:

Who played on Surfer Suzie? Is there anything (afm, session tapes, etc) for the song?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7002 on: May 02, 2021, 07:02:23 AM »

Well, Bobby Figueroa wasn't used on the KTSA sessions, either (meaning, Mike Meros was the only guy from the then-current road band who was). As for Smilin' Ed...he DID make an  appearance at the session for THIS song, obviously invited to play on it because he wrote it. However, they recut the track a week later without him. Can't say for sure which version the vocals were added to, but presumably it was the second.

SURFER SUZIE (version 1) 
Track - United Western, 10/17/79 (Eng.: Chuck Britz)
Keyboards: Brian, Bruce, Mike Meros
Guitars: Ed Carter, Bill House
Bass: Jerry Scheff
Drums: Gary Mallaber

SURFER SUZIE (version 2)
Track - Kendun Recorders, 10/23/79 (Eng.: Steve Desper)
Keyboards: Bruce, Mike Meros
Guitars: Steve Ross, Bill House
Bass: Bryan Garofalo
Drums: Ricky Fataar
Overdubs - Rumbo, 10/29/79
Guitar: Bill House

Vocals - Jardine's Barn, Big Sur, 11/7/79
Vocals - Rumbo, 11/13/79
Vocals - Rumbo, 11/28/79
Vocals - Rumbo, 11/30/79
Vocals - Rumbo, 12/5//79
Vocals - Rumbo, 12/6//79
Lead: Al
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7003 on: May 02, 2021, 10:54:25 AM »

Thanks Craig for both of those. I should really start considering whether or not session tapes have been heard...

I have one question relating to the percussion overdubs on Time To Get Alone. Were they different from what was used in the final version (which has Vibraphone & Glockenspiel)? I heard somewhere on one of the threads that there were percussion overdubs on Oct. ‘67, which were then replaced by the vibes and glockenspiel the following year. Is that correct, or am I just tired?

The only new instrumentation added to Time to Get Alone for 20/20 was the glockenspiel and an unused 12-string guitar. Everything else, including vibes, came from '67.
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7004 on: May 02, 2021, 12:21:49 PM »

The only new instrumentation added to Time to Get Alone for 20/20 was the glockenspiel and an unused 12-string guitar. Everything else, including vibes, came from '67.

Alright so the Vibraphone is absolutely Gene Pello. Who played the glockenspiel?
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7005 on: May 02, 2021, 12:22:57 PM »

Well, Bobby Figueroa wasn't used on the KTSA sessions, either (meaning, Mike Meros was the only guy from the then-current road band who was). As for Smilin' Ed...he DID make an  appearance at the session for THIS song, obviously invited to play on it because he wrote it. However, they recut the track a week later without him. Can't say for sure which version the vocals were added to, but presumably it was the second.

SURFER SUZIE (version 1) 
Track - United Western, 10/17/79 (Eng.: Chuck Britz)
Keyboards: Brian, Bruce, Mike Meros
Guitars: Ed Carter, Bill House
Bass: Jerry Scheff
Drums: Gary Mallaber

SURFER SUZIE (version 2)
Track - Kendun Recorders, 10/23/79 (Eng.: Steve Desper)
Keyboards: Bruce, Mike Meros
Guitars: Steve Ross, Bill House
Bass: Bryan Garofalo
Drums: Ricky Fataar
Overdubs - Rumbo, 10/29/79
Guitar: Bill House

Vocals - Jardine's Barn, Big Sur, 11/7/79
Vocals - Rumbo, 11/13/79
Vocals - Rumbo, 11/28/79
Vocals - Rumbo, 11/30/79
Vocals - Rumbo, 12/5//79
Vocals - Rumbo, 12/6//79
Lead: Al

Thanks Craig! Never knew that about there being 2 versions!
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7006 on: May 02, 2021, 12:31:20 PM »

Alright so the Vibraphone is absolutely Gene Pello. Who played the glockenspiel?

Not necessarily, Pello doesn't have any recognized mallet credits through his career. Strictly a drummer type. On that basis it's likely to be Brian.

As for the glockenspiel, that's a question that can't really be answered. At a guess, Brian again, or Dennis.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 12:40:48 PM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7007 on: May 03, 2021, 05:31:22 AM »

Not necessarily, Pello doesn't have any recognized mallet credits through his career. Strictly a drummer type. On that basis it's likely to be Brian.

As for the glockenspiel, that's a question that can't really be answered. At a guess, Brian again, or Dennis.

Looking at the information we have, no one else could have played the vibes except Brian. I should've guessed then.

Glockenspiel I would say was also Brian. Brian was the most dedicated to the song, so of course he would try to make sure it's perfect for release. I could be wrong but that's the impression I get.
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7008 on: May 03, 2021, 06:00:01 AM »

I've got one question relating to We'll Run Away.

This is the link for reference: https://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-beach-boys-1964-keep-eye-on-summer.html

26. Untitled Jam/Let’s Live Before We Die (Session Highlights and Instrumental) (3:24)
(Brian Wilson)

A short impromptu jam precedes the track for an unfinished and unreleased song called “Let’s Live Before We Die.” This very pretty track, boasting some very lush jazz styled chords, was recorded at the same session as “We’ll Run Away.”

UNTITLED JAM / LET’S LIVE BEFORE WE DIE
Arranged: Brian Wilson
Upright or Grand piano: Brian Wilson
Electric rhythm guitar: Carl Wilson
Electric bass guitar: Ray Pohlman
Drums: Hal Blaine
Track recorded at Western Recorders Studio 3, Hollywood, Wednesday April 29 or Thursday April 30, 1964, 10:30pm-1:30am ? (master is Take 15 ?)
Engineer: Chuck Britz
Recorded on 1/2″ 3-track tape

You thinking what I thinking?  Wink
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7009 on: May 10, 2021, 05:32:06 AM »

Eh? No one? Alright then I'll move on.  Razz

I've always wondered about the use of a Chamberlin (and in the case of I Wanna Pick You Up, the Mellotron) on BBs records. They didn't really use it as much as other acts. Were they more interested in other things during this time ('67-'72 was the instruments prime iirc)?
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7010 on: May 10, 2021, 06:13:44 AM »

If you're asking who played on We'll Run Away, the legwork's already there in what you've posted to guess! That session circulates. It's the same, with a 12-string acoustic guitar and Dennis on a bell tree.
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7011 on: May 11, 2021, 08:21:50 PM »

Was Al Jardine a participant in Mike's group, Celebration?
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7012 on: May 12, 2021, 01:46:25 PM »

To my knowledge, no, aside from co-writing the group’s only hit. That was more of a Mike kinda thing to keep himself busy with some friends of his tbh.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7013 on: May 12, 2021, 07:00:38 PM »

Al sometimes guested with Celebration, as did Brian and Carl.
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7014 on: May 13, 2021, 10:19:08 AM »

Al sometimes guested with Celebration, as did Brian and Carl.

I have failed once again. LOL

Four questions (3 are BBs related):

What is that buzzing noise on Passing By? I remember hearing on the EH that it’s a Bass Harmonica, but it doesn’t to me, based on other records that use it.

What information related to Loop De Loop (of any) has personnel credits? I’ve asked a similar question on EH.

If the strings for Lady were recorded on the same day as the strings for Tears In The Morning & Our Sweet Love, does that mean it’s the same players, despite the different arrangers?

And the non BB one:

Did Hal Blaine really drum on Kicks by Paul Revere & The Raiders? Bassist Phil Volk makes it pretty clear that it wasn’t. Idk

http://stereoembersmagazine.com/american-stones-american-beatles-interview-paul-revere-raiders-mark-lindsay/ This is my source. It’s a lengthy read and has interviews from both Mark Lindsay & Phil Volk.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 12:01:43 PM by nts and the drum » Logged
Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7015 on: May 13, 2021, 03:32:33 PM »

Based from my ears I think the buzzing on passing by may be a fuzz pedal for a bass or guitar but I could be wrong  Undecided
DiskTracy
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #7016 on: May 17, 2021, 11:54:14 AM »

Does anyone know if Bruce still lives in Pacific Palisades? The last update I saw, the fire there was up to 835 acres and 0% contained.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7017 on: May 17, 2021, 06:57:30 PM »

Bruce lives in Montecito, near the beach.
Doobidoo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7018 on: June 03, 2021, 08:34:46 AM »

Now when the "new"/old Big Sur finally being officially released - I thought a bit about the Holland version of that song

I've always been wondering why there is this kind of in-and-out-varying sound quality on this song.
Listen around 0:52. Something happens with the sound-quality there, where is sound more muddled. The muddle-ness disappears, making the sound more "crisp" and "clean" again, and reappears throughout he song on and on.

I've heard there were some difficulties with the electricity when they moved all their american stuff to Europe, so I've always thought it might have to do something with that. However, this loss of quality isn't there (or atleast as obvious) on the rest of the songs on this album (as far as I know...)

Does somebody have any clues, stories or facts about why this happens in this song? Would be really happy to have some kind of sound (pun unintended) explanation to this.

The mysterious 'uplifting version' of 'Til I Die: Finally revealed by Custom Machine!! www.smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26114.msg640828.html#msg640828

www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7019 on: June 10, 2021, 02:28:21 AM »

Is there any reason why we haven’t seen sessions from Summer Days and Today released officially?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 03:20:06 AM by debonbon » Logged

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
as1972
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7020 on: June 13, 2021, 08:10:24 AM »

Is there any reason why we haven’t seen sessions from Summer Days and Today released officially?

I assume nothing recorded at that time needs to be released for copyright reasons. The only outtake that comes to mind is Sandy/Sherry which was a hybrid release on Made in California.

According to Mark Linett some years back, they proposed the idea of a 1965 set to Capitol, but clearly the powers that be didn't feel it was worth doing.

Trying to figure out which of my organs I could sell for outtakes and live.
DingDangIsTheGreatestSong
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7021 on: June 24, 2021, 09:13:13 PM »

Hello! I was wondering if anyone knows where most/all of the BB bootlegs come from or how they got "leaked"? Also is there any chance for a release of the tracks in the vaults from before the current copyright-like "On Top of Ol Smoky" "How Deep is The Ocean" and things like that?"

Thanks!
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7022 on: June 28, 2021, 01:31:14 PM »

Who plays the bass on Aren’t You Glad? From my understanding it was Carl because of how the bass sounded, but for whatever reason on Wikipedia it was switched to Brian, which just doesn’t sound right. Was it Carl? As soon as I saw that happen on Wikipedia I began questioning anyone and everyone that could have possibly made that change.

My guess would be it's Brian. I think there was a feeling until a few years ago that Brian didn't do much in those sessions, but around the time of Sunshine Tomorrow that seemed to change a bit, with recognition of Brian's more extensive involvement. I don't remember any specific piece of info coming out to change that particular reference though. C-man might jump in at this point. . .

I know this is really late, but I want to jump into this conversation. C-man’s work in 2017 for ESQ credited Bass to Carl. As the obsessive nerd I am, I’ve been transferring this info to Wikipedia as well, but someone changed my edit (C-man’s work) on Wiki at some point. Unfortunately I misplaced my copy of that issue and can’t correct/add to what I have so far. Hopefully it turns up soon, along with my misplaced Holland LP.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7023 on: June 28, 2021, 02:20:25 PM »

Who plays the bass on Aren’t You Glad? From my understanding it was Carl because of how the bass sounded, but for whatever reason on Wikipedia it was switched to Brian, which just doesn’t sound right. Was it Carl? As soon as I saw that happen on Wikipedia I began questioning anyone and everyone that could have possibly made that change.

My guess would be it's Brian. I think there was a feeling until a few years ago that Brian didn't do much in those sessions, but around the time of Sunshine Tomorrow that seemed to change a bit, with recognition of Brian's more extensive involvement. I don't remember any specific piece of info coming out to change that particular reference though. C-man might jump in at this point. . .

I know this is really late, but I want to jump into this conversation. C-man’s work in 2017 for ESQ credited Bass to Carl. As the obsessive nerd I am, I’ve been transferring this info to Wikipedia as well, but someone changed my edit (C-man’s work) on Wiki at some point. Unfortunately I misplaced my copy of that issue and can’t correct/add to what I have so far. Hopefully it turns up soon, along with my misplaced Holland LP.

An excerpt from the session's been out there for 4 years, with Carl audibly playing bass live to Brian's piano. Wiki editors can be odd. Keep trying!

(Having a look at the old credits... The organ and guitar are Brian and Carl respectively. There isn't a Chamberlin, and it's likely that the drums on this one aren't Dennis - he wasn't present for the basic tracking, they're overdubbed, and incredibly simple. Brian or Carl, probably. Reminiscent of Brian's drumming across most of the Lei'd in Hawaii album.)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 02:38:17 PM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7024 on: June 28, 2021, 02:31:04 PM »

Also is there any chance for a release of the tracks in the vaults from before the current copyright-like "On Top of Ol Smoky" "How Deep is The Ocean" and things like that?"

Thanks!

Ol' Smokey doesn't exist - never existed in the first place. It was jammed on at John Phillips' house. Didn't go within several miles of a recording studio.

How Deep is the Ocean - if there's ever an opportunity to circle back around to a 1965 archival release, I'd assume.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 278 279 280 [281] 282 283 284 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx