gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:16:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray (+ 1 Hidden) and 55 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 276 277 278 [279] 280 281 282 283 284 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399519 times)
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6950 on: April 22, 2021, 05:36:53 PM »

Alright so it’s Brian on piano and Carl on bass. That makes me feel better. I wonder where on earth they would’ve thought that Brian played bass instead that they literally changed it on Wikipedia. That’s a ridiculous and pointless situation. Imagine how many people the person who changed it might have been fooled.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #6951 on: April 22, 2021, 05:42:23 PM »

Alright so it’s Brian on piano and Carl on bass. That makes me feel better. I wonder where on earth they would’ve thought that Brian played bass instead that they literally changed it on Wikipedia. That’s a ridiculous and pointless situation. Imagine how many people the person who changed it might have been fooled.

Well, it'd be those people's own fault for using Wikipedia...
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6952 on: April 22, 2021, 05:54:55 PM »

Also, and I just realized this. In the first two minutes, half of that is literally a 4/4 version of Let The Wind Blow. Quite the coincidence if you ask me.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #6953 on: April 22, 2021, 07:08:58 PM »

Also, and I just realized this. In the first two minutes, half of that is literally a 4/4 version of Let The Wind Blow. Quite the coincidence if you ask me.

I don't follow.
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6954 on: April 22, 2021, 07:11:04 PM »

Oops I need to explain these things more. The link you provided has the same chord sequence in the first two minutes, except that it’s in 4/4 and or course a completely different song.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #6955 on: April 22, 2021, 07:26:00 PM »

Explain what you mean by the same chord sequence.  One could argue that both songs do a little back and forth on the minor v and minor ii chords, but that hardly qualifies as "literally the same song".  Brian reuses these patterns a lot.
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6956 on: April 22, 2021, 08:08:02 PM »

Explain what you mean by the same chord sequence.  One could argue that both songs do a little back and forth on the minor v and minor ii chords, but that hardly qualifies as "literally the same song".  Brian reuses these patterns a lot.

Yeah I messed that up. Indeed one song could use the same chord changes and yet be completely different songs.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #6957 on: April 22, 2021, 08:14:30 PM »

Yeah I messed that up. Indeed one song could use the same chord changes and yet be completely different songs.

Well, you've hit on a very interesting phenomenon.  I actually did a video about one of Brian's pet right-hand chord patterns, which hardly scratched the surface of all the times he used it.  I think it's great that he manages to find so much creative use out of the same thing, over and over again.

Here's that video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oFOC0VPN7w
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6958 on: April 22, 2021, 08:22:47 PM »

Well, you've hit on a very interesting phenomenon.  I actually did a video about one of Brian's pet right-hand chord patterns, which hardly scratched the surface of all the times he used it.  I think it's great that he manages to find so much creative use out of the same thing, over and over again.

Thank you! That was a really good video! Even with the simplest chords, Brian could always turn it into something phenomenal! Smiley
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6959 on: April 22, 2021, 08:23:31 PM »

Before I get too off topic I wanna add another question to the mix:

Who played on Sea Cruise? I’ve heard the drums were Dennis on the “Dennis as a studio drummer” thread on here, and the keyboards (piano and organ) sound very quirky and Brian-like. I also hear saxophones (probably regulars Steve & Jay), a guitar part very similar to that on Palisades Park in terms of style, a bass guitar, a tambourine and a whip sound similar to that used by Ricky Fataar on Just Once In My Life.

And that leaves me to my 2nd question: what is making that whip sound in both songs?
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6960 on: April 23, 2021, 03:20:03 AM »

I promise you, the answers to these things will come, eventually, in some form. People are working through it. It just isn't feasible at this pace to try and rattle off the instrumental credits to the Beach Boys' entire recorded output song by song on a forum (or forum-s). I don't want to discourage your enthusiasm - it's really great, and those of us who study these things are happy to help out when we can, and more than receptive to discussion about anything that's yet unsolved - just... breathe!

I don't know anything about Sea Cruise, but I'll get back to you on We're Together Again.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 05:11:09 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6961 on: April 23, 2021, 05:23:20 AM »

From the AFM contract for SEA CRUISE: 

Dennis on drums, Brian on piano & organ, Ray Pohlman on bass, Ben Benay and Larry Rolando on guitars, Julius Wechter on percussion, Steve Douglas, Jay Migliori, Dennis Dreith, and Mike Altschol on saxophones.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6962 on: April 23, 2021, 05:51:53 AM »

We're Together Again v1 - Basic track was Brian on piano, Bruce on almost inaudible Rock-Si-Chord, Carl on bass, and Dennis on drums, with an overdub of a more dominant Rock-Si-Chord (probably Brian, could be Bruce) and Carl playing a subdued electric guitar. There was a punch-in to that overdub track in the bridge consisting of a much more upfront guitar (guitars?) and the Roxi traded for a double of the bass part - again, could be either Brian or Bruce. Strings: John DeVoogt, Jack Gootkin, Leonard Malarsky, Darrel Terwilliger, Norman Botnick, Louis Kievman (some played both violin and viola in their careers, hard to say exactly who's doing what).

We're Together Again v2 - Mike Rubini and Jim Ackley on piano and Rock-Si-Chord, Al Vescovo on electric guitar, probably Carl on bass, Alan Estes on marimba, John Guerin on drums. James Burton was there and paid for guitar and Dobro but left before the end of the session, probably meaning he wasn't on the final take, or else his hypothetical parts weren't kept anyway. John Guerin might have overdubbed tambourine and some sort of 'blocks' that were then erased. A few days later, James Burton overdubbed extra electric guitar, and he and Red Rhodes added Dobro and pedal steel. Strings: John DeVoogt, Bonnie Douglas, Ronald Folsom, Paul Shure, Norman Botnick, Darrel Terwilliger.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 10:23:21 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6963 on: April 23, 2021, 05:53:08 AM »

Brian refers to these as "feels". In an interview with David Leaf promoting POB, Dennis described how he loved one of the old feels that Brian would play (essentially, the piano shuffle rhythm in such songs as "Little Deuce Coupe") and incorporated it into his own song "What's Wrong".
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6964 on: April 23, 2021, 05:56:27 AM »

Thank you both for the information and thanks for the “feels” explanation, that’s really interesting to know. Yeah, I’m pretty much good for today at least. I’m gonna be pretty busy today so I won’t ask too many questions. I’ll be available again at around 4PM Maryland time.
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6965 on: April 23, 2021, 12:31:37 PM »

Do we know who played on Transcendental Mediation (the song)? I hear saxophones, and a saxophone solo in there. Drums are pretty jazzy so maybe a drummer with a jazz background (like Earl Palmer maybe  Wink). Other than bass I don’t really hear anything else, is that it? I like this instrumental track but the song itself... kinda blows.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6966 on: April 23, 2021, 01:43:26 PM »

First of all, the song absolutely rules

Second, it's Lyle on bass and Jim Gordon on drums, plus a whopping 10 sax players. Somewhere in the vicinity of 4 baritones, 4 tenors, 2 altos. They are: Bill Perkins, Don Englert, Tom Scott, David Sherr, Jay Migliori, Bill Green, Jim Horn, Meyer Hirsch, Ken Jensen, Bob Jung.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 01:44:44 PM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6967 on: April 23, 2021, 01:48:33 PM »

Thanks! I just don’t like the way the vocals are sung. I don’t actually mind the lyrics that much. Maybe I’ll have another listen.
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6968 on: April 23, 2021, 01:54:46 PM »

Alright I’ve changed my mind. I really dig this tune!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #6969 on: April 23, 2021, 02:17:57 PM »

First of all, the song absolutely rules

Second, it's Lyle on bass and Jim Gordon on drums, plus a whopping 10 sax players. Somewhere in the vicinity of 4 baritones, 4 tenors, 2 altos. They are: Bill Perkins, Don Englert, Tom Scott, David Sherr, Jay Migliori, Bill Green, Jim Horn, Meyer Hirsch, Ken Jensen, Bob Jung.

Thank God I didn't buy that Alto sax for no reason.
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6970 on: April 23, 2021, 03:34:20 PM »

Final question from me today? Who played on (Wouldn’t It Be Nice To) Live Again? It sounds like Dennis on piano. I hear a moog, a Celeste (both simple), flutes (I think that’s Charles Lloyd), and some pretty complex bass and drums.

And before my curiosity gets the better of me, what about 4th of July? BTW the version on the box set sounds really bad it’s not even funny. Worse than San Miguel & I Just Got My Pay. I love all three songs though.
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6971 on: April 24, 2021, 09:39:39 AM »

Final question from me today? Who played on (Wouldn’t It Be Nice To) Live Again? It sounds like Dennis on piano. I hear a moog, a Celeste (both simple), flutes (I think that’s Charles Lloyd), and some pretty complex bass and drums.

And before my curiosity gets the better of me, what about 4th of July? BTW the version on the box set sounds really bad it’s not even funny. Worse than San Miguel & I Just Got My Pay. I love all three songs though.

Hmmm... so I reckon there isn’t any information? Sad I haven’t really seen or heard of anything yet.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6972 on: April 24, 2021, 10:03:35 AM »

For both of those, and lots of others from the era, keep an eye out for the next issue of ESQ which should be coming in the not too distant future.

Off the top of my head, Live Again was Dennis on piano, Carl on guitars, Daryl Dragon on bass, and Dennis Dragon on drums. Flutes were probably Kathy Dragon, and any other instrument you hear on there is a Moog.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 10:06:12 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #6973 on: April 24, 2021, 10:20:05 AM »

For both of those, and lots of others from the era, keep an eye out for the next issue of ESQ which should be coming in the not too distant future.

Off the top of my head, Live Again was Dennis on piano, Carl on guitars, Daryl Dragon on bass, and Dennis Dragon on drums. Flutes were probably Kathy Dragon, and any other instrument you hear on there is a Moog.

For that matter, a lot of your questions are covered in various ESQ sessionographies over the years.  You'd do well to treat yourself to some back issues.
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6974 on: April 24, 2021, 10:22:38 AM »

For that matter, a lot of your questions are covered in various ESQ sessionographies over the years.  You'd do well to treat yourself to some back issues.

I really should get a subscription. You can buy previous issues online correct?

EDIT: Now that was a stupid question. Forget I ever said that.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 10:34:38 AM by nts and the drum » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 276 277 278 [279] 280 281 282 283 284 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx