gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:34:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 (+ 1 Hidden) and 55 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 266 267 268 [269] 270 271 272 273 274 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399483 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6700 on: June 24, 2018, 01:14:34 PM »

What was the type of organ Brian used on the early albums? Does anyone know any keyboards that can replicate this sound well?

I once asked Darian about this, and his belief is that it's a standard-issue Hammond B-3.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6701 on: June 24, 2018, 05:35:55 PM »

What was the type of organ Brian used on the early albums? Does anyone know any keyboards that can replicate this sound well?

I once asked Darian about this, and his belief is that it's a standard-issue Hammond B-3.

c-man, you're the best. Thanks.
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6702 on: July 01, 2018, 02:18:01 PM »

Watching the NASCAR race from Michigan and they run a promo for the next race at Daytona. "I Get Around" is used as the background music.

Only fitting because it's accompanied by footage of cars wrecking and crashing (getting around).
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #6703 on: July 02, 2018, 01:19:36 PM »

I happened to catch the show "The Talk" today. Watched because Carnie W was a guest host.
One of the topics discussed was post partum depression. Carnie said that she had "post partum psychosis" after the birth of one of her daughters. She experienced auditory hallucinations, the voices telling her things such as "your child is going to die." After treatment she eventually got over it but I find it chilling considering what her father has been through.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 06:09:34 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6704 on: July 02, 2018, 05:05:29 PM »

According to Wikipedia, using Mike Love's book as a source, the band's tour of Europe in May 1967 was supposed to have four backing musicians. Does anyone know if this has ever been brought up before? Going off the tour later in 1967, the London performances in 1968, and the session musicians they used, I'm assuming they could've toured with a saxophone player, a bassist, a keyboardist, and a percussionist.

EDIT: Just found an old post by a former moderator(?) named Jason, which stated this. Does anyone know the truth/details behind this: "Carl augmented the touring group with a horn/string/keyboard section consisting of Igor Horoshevsky, Frank St. Peters, Richard Thompson, and Jim Carther for a mid-1967 European tour."
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 09:35:18 AM by All Summer Long » Logged
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #6705 on: July 03, 2018, 06:47:53 PM »

According to Ian's and Jon's book "The Beach Boys in Concert" the mini orchestra which included cellist Igor Horoshevsky debuted with the band live on April 13, 1967 in Mississippi. The British Musicians Union prevented the group from using four additional musicians in concert during their May 1967 European tour.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6706 on: July 03, 2018, 09:32:21 PM »

Their names and respective instruments appear in a '67 article reprinted in Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #6707 on: July 04, 2018, 02:52:52 AM »

Their names and respective instruments appear in a '67 article reprinted in Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE!

Yes indeed, a Derek Taylor report from Hollywood. It's the bottom half of page 193 of LLVS:

"Frank [St. Peters] plays saxophone, flute and clarinet; Chick [Jim Carther, one assumes] plays flute and sax; Richard [Thompson] dabbles in flugelhorn, harpsichord, flute, organ, saxophone and clarinet. And who's this [Igor] Horoshevsky cat? He plays cello." 

Apparently the BB's plane had "The Beach Boys and Igor" emblazoned in huge letters on the side. Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6708 on: July 20, 2018, 05:50:09 AM »

What was the reason/s that Rick Fataar and Blondie Chaplin left the group?
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6709 on: July 20, 2018, 09:30:37 AM »

What was the reason/s that Rick Fataar and Blondie Chaplin left the group?

From what I've read,

Blondie left because of an issue with one of Mike Love's brothers (I think Steve) supposedly used a racial slur when referring to him/talking to him and I think there was one other issue.

Ricky supposedly left to join Joe Walsh's band Barnstorm. Can't remember whether Endless Summer was a factor, but I thought the lack of proper recording was something that angered him. I've never understood the Barnstork thing because I've never found any evidence that Ricky joined Barnstorm because I believe Barnstorm break up either later that year.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6710 on: July 21, 2018, 11:30:49 AM »

The overall reason for both of them was supposedly boredom, in the sense of not making much new music - I think it was in David Leaf's book where I read this:  they were comfortable with the music and getting paid well, but didn't feel by late '73 (in Blondie's case) and late '74 (in Ricky's) that there was much hope for a real creative outlet. Blondie's frustration reportedly led to drinking too much, and the flareup with Steve Love (backstage at Madison Square Garden) was the tipping point, so he resigned then and there. In Ricky's case, the band imposed fines for drug use, and that reportedly led to his quitting and joining up with Joe Walsh (however briefly - though I don't think they were actually calling themselves Barnstorm by that point, despite what's been reported in various Beach Boys biographies - see this article: http://justbackdated.blogspot.com/2014/09/joe-walsh-april-1975.html)

As a side note: interestingly, Fataar and Walsh, along with the Walsh band bassist mentioned in the above article - Bryan Garafalo - all made contributions to the Boys' 1980 Bruce Johnston-produced album Keepin' The Summer Alive - Fataar did a number of sessions for that album, while Garafalo is the bassist on most of the songs, and Walsh played the very Walsh-like slide solo on the title track.
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6711 on: August 04, 2018, 04:03:55 PM »

On this weeks "The Dennis Miller Option" podcast, the first topic is he has changed his favorite Beach Boys song! His partner asked if he changed it to "Kokomo"Dennis said if he ever changes his favorite Beach Boys song to "Kokomo" he wants to be committed!! By the way, he changed it from "WIBN" to "Sail on Sailor"!

Cook pork throughly
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6712 on: August 10, 2018, 10:15:17 AM »

Not worth creating a separate thread for this, so I will spin this fact into a question: Pet Sounds re-entered the UK charts at #100 this week. Any particular reasons why?

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6713 on: August 10, 2018, 03:17:50 PM »

No 3 in the vinyl chart might have pushed it up.

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/vinyl-albums-chart/
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6714 on: August 13, 2018, 07:30:59 PM »

Just when you thought you've seen it all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdRf5N5_i3k
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6715 on: August 30, 2018, 10:07:55 AM »

I was listening to "Judge GTO Breakaway" by Paul Revere and the Raiders, the vocals sound like Bruce and Terry, not at all like Mark Lindsay! I know they did all the bkgds, but this is the lead vocal!

Cook pork throughly
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #6716 on: October 06, 2018, 10:55:59 AM »

No question. Just an announcement.
If anyone finds themselves channel surfing on Wednesday October 10 at 8a.m. Or 8 pm Eastern Time, and has access to the Decades network (available on some cable networks or over the air - in New Orleans it's channel 4.3), there will be a segment about Good Vibrations being released .

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6717 on: October 22, 2018, 12:54:21 PM »

Do any recordings exist of The Beach Boys doing "Sister Golden Hair"? It seems on Setlist.fm they played it when Gerry Beckley replaced Mike in 1990...

I guess while I'm here, why was Beckley filling in for Mike?

SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6718 on: October 22, 2018, 03:16:53 PM »

There's a Toyota TV commercial that uses "You Are So Beautiful." Not Dennis' version or anything, but at least it's Dennis' song.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6719 on: October 22, 2018, 05:34:35 PM »

I was at one of those shows (Atlanta) where they did "Sister Golden Hair" with Gerry Beckley. Mike wasn't there because he was hosting a music competition in Japan.

Gerry didn't exactly stand in for Mike -- Jeff and Al sang Mike's leads, and Gerry did Al's bg parts.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6720 on: October 22, 2018, 08:05:04 PM »

Do any recordings exist of The Beach Boys doing "Sister Golden Hair"? It seems on Setlist.fm they played it when Gerry Beckley replaced Mike in 1990...

Yes, there was a concert recording from Molson Park in Ontario on 6/2/90 circulating awhile back. "Sister Golden Hair" included.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6721 on: October 22, 2018, 09:18:37 PM »

There's a Toyota TV commercial that uses "You Are So Beautiful." Not Dennis' version or anything, but at least it's Dennis' song.

I cannot imagine how much $$ Denny's estate is rightfully due for stuff like this.
leoleoleoleo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6722 on: October 23, 2018, 02:21:42 AM »

Is that the boys playing on Graduation Day, or did they get session musicians in?
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6723 on: October 23, 2018, 07:09:23 AM »

Why wouldn't it be? It's Carl on Acoustic Guitar and that's it. Here is more information, Thanks to Mr. Slowinski. http://www.tiptopwebsite.com/files/craigslowinskicom.pdf?734#page=45   Scroll down to page 70.
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6724 on: October 23, 2018, 07:10:27 AM »

Is that the boys playing on Graduation Day, or did they get session musicians in?
Why wouldn't it be? It's Carl on Acoustic Guitar and that's it. Here is more information, Thanks to Mr. Slowinski. http://www.tiptopwebsite.com/files/craigslowinskicom.pdf?734#page=45   Scroll down to page 70.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 266 267 268 [269] 270 271 272 273 274 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx