gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:19:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 and 45 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 262 263 264 [265] 266 267 268 269 270 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399151 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6600 on: February 21, 2018, 06:59:16 AM »

I was reading a post on Facebook, something about Mike’s reputation beginning to get better in 2018. But in it it mentioned Mike having to hire extra security for him and his family after the 2012 C50 ending because of death threats he was receiving. I’m assuming that was in his book (that I haven’t read), just wondered if someone could confirm that. What a shame if that’s true. I get he has a bad reputation, but why on earth would anyone stoop that low?

Mike does briefly touch on this in his book.

But that Facebook post is really odd. It's like someone hired a grade schooler to write a book report that doubles as a shill "fan" post to help out with ongoing bad PR issues.

No, Mike's reputation isn't taking a turn for the better in 2018 unfortunately. His most recent Mojo interview seems to indicate it's getting worse, not better.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6601 on: February 21, 2018, 07:38:24 AM »

I was reading a post on Facebook, something about Mike’s reputation beginning to get better in 2018. But in it it mentioned Mike having to hire extra security for him and his family after the 2012 C50 ending because of death threats he was receiving. I’m assuming that was in his book (that I haven’t read), just wondered if someone could confirm that. What a shame if that’s true. I get he has a bad reputation, but why on earth would anyone stoop that low?

Mike does briefly touch on this in his book.

But that Facebook post is really odd. It's like someone hired a grade schooler to write a book report that doubles as a shill "fan" post to help out with ongoing bad PR issues.

No, Mike's reputation isn't taking a turn for the better in 2018 unfortunately. His most recent Mojo interview seems to indicate it's getting worse, not better.

Agreed. The person even writes that Mike is “proving now a great person to interview” with the “arrogance of the past gone” - this person really does need to read the latest Mojo and the digs made at Al, Carl, and Brian that are in it.

Tbh a month ago I would’ve started to agree with this person about Mike’s interviews...prior to that Mojo article Mike had about a year there where he was a stand-up guy in his interviews. I started to get the impression he had changed his mindset about things, or hired a PR person. But it looks like that bitterness isn’t going away. Too bad.

Also, thanks for the confirmation.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 07:39:28 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
KDS
« Reply #6602 on: February 21, 2018, 07:38:35 AM »

I've little doubt that it's true.  "Fan" is short for fanatic after all.   The deranged fan who killed Darrell Abbott in 2004 apparently did so because he was disappointed that Pantera didn't get back together.  

Truly scary.  
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6603 on: February 21, 2018, 07:48:44 AM »

I've little doubt that it's true.  "Fan" is short for fanatic after all.   The deranged fan who killed Darrell Abbott in 2004 apparently did so because he was disappointed that Pantera didn't get back together.  

Truly scary.  

Wow. It’s just crazy that some fans of The Beach Boys would stoop that low. I mean talk about completely ignoring the idea that Brian wrote much of his music to bring goodness to the world. I get that a lot of us have negative commentary about some interviews Mike gives and other things, but threatening a man’s family?

Did Mike press charges? In this day and age it’s not difficult for law enforcement to track down people who make threats like these.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
KDS
« Reply #6604 on: February 21, 2018, 08:09:53 AM »

Truly scary.  

Wow. It’s just crazy that some fans of The Beach Boys would stoop that low. I mean talk about completely ignoring the idea that Brian wrote much of his music to bring goodness to the world. I get that a lot of us have negative commentary about some interviews Mike gives and other things, but threatening a man’s family?

Did Mike press charges? In this day and age it’s not difficult for law enforcement to track down people who make threats like these.

I don't know if Mike pressed charges or not.   I don't think he said he did in his book.  If he didn't, he should have. 

I think any band with a large fanbase has a section of fans who I wouldn't put anything past.   Mark David Chapman had no problem taking down the man who wrote All You Need is Love and Imagine. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6605 on: February 21, 2018, 08:37:30 AM »

Good point. Specifically that is why I hope Mike would’ve pressed charges. Currently, kids are being arrested left and right for making stupid threats in the wake of what just happened in Florida. Shouldn’t be any different for celebrities.

KDS
« Reply #6606 on: February 21, 2018, 08:38:37 AM »

Good point. Specifically that is why I hope Mike would’ve pressed charges. Currently, kids are being arrested left and right for making stupid threats in the wake of what just happened in Florida. Shouldn’t be any different for celebrities.

Right, and in the light of what happened in Florida, I don't think it would be a bad thing for social media to be monitored for that kind of thing. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6607 on: February 21, 2018, 08:46:13 AM »

Right, and in the light of what happened in Florida, I don't think it would be a bad thing for social media to be monitored for that kind of thing. 

True that. The CDC monitors social media for outbreaks (they found that they could get more accurate predictions of sickness by pinpointing swarms of posts in specific areas about people not feeling well). I would hope the FBI would do something similar - within the confines of the law, but whatever you post on the internet publicly I think has every right to be analyzed by those whose job it is to stop crime.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6608 on: February 21, 2018, 09:11:38 AM »

Any threats of any kind are heinous and ridiculous (and a million other descriptors).

When it comes to Mike and his brief mention of the post-C50 fallout in his book, I'm not willing to assume much or delve much into it, because he really doesn't elaborate. I'm *not* saying he did so, but it would be very easy when putting together one's book to take a few angry fan comments and kind of blow it up into a bigger deal than it was.

Mike nor anybody would ever deserve any threats of any kind. He did deserve and still deserves plenty of scorn, and he did receive quite a bit of that. In the immediate aftermath of the reunion's demise, Mike did not go out of his way to really try to make nice.

Anyone remember this post?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #6609 on: February 21, 2018, 09:25:25 AM »

True that. The CDC monitors social media for outbreaks (they found that they could get more accurate predictions of sickness by pinpointing swarms of posts in specific areas about people not feeling well). I would hope the FBI would do something similar - within the confines of the law, but whatever you post on the internet publicly I think has every right to be analyzed by those whose job it is to stop crime.

I agree 110%. 
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6610 on: February 21, 2018, 10:41:13 AM »

Why is David Marks no longer considered a member, while Brian and Al are?
KDS
« Reply #6611 on: February 21, 2018, 10:46:51 AM »

I'm not sure I understand the question as David Mark has played onstage with The Beach Boys as recently as 2015, but not Brian or Al
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6612 on: February 21, 2018, 11:40:04 AM »

I think trying to peg down David's membership status in the last couple decades hasn't been easy due to the strange nature of what constitutes an "official" member.

By the time David rejoined in 1997-1999, he was essentially joining Mike's licensed tour. The "band" as an ongoing creative unit, recording albums, etc. had ceased to exist.

With the exception of 2012, where all five core living members including David were full-fledged members of a seemingly fully-formed *band* that recorded and toured.

So the band essentially ceased to exist in 1997/98, with the exception of 2012. Any other use of the "Beach Boys" name has been Mike's own solo tour using the BB name under license.

The only other definition we can use is the legal/corporate definition. By this definition, Mike, Brian, and Al are and have always been "Beach Boys" by virtue of being shareholders in their BRI corporation. In contrast, Bruce (and David when he has been with the band) has always been more or less "salaried."

This is why I've always had trouble with articles that have stated that Brian "left" the Beach Boys at some point. He never really did in the legal or logistical sense. Through 1998 when the "studio" band did essentially dissolve, he had always weaved in and out of activity with the band in the studio. There was never any announcement that he had left.  
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 11:41:51 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6613 on: February 21, 2018, 02:57:06 PM »

The only other definition we can use is the legal/corporate definition. By this definition, Mike, Brian, and Al are and have always been "Beach Boys" by virtue of being shareholders in their BRI corporation. In contrast, Bruce (and David when he has been with the band) has always been more or less "salaried."

So Bruce is still a member of "The Beach Boys" because he is a salaried member of the touring band, and David is not because he does not tour with the group (aside from the seldom special occasion)?
On Wiki Brian, Mike, Al, and Bruce are listed as the current members of the band, David having apparently left in 2012. This all seems very arbitrary to me. As you said, The Beach Boys (really) are no longer together.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 03:11:03 PM by Gabo » Logged
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6614 on: February 21, 2018, 04:01:11 PM »

So Bruce is still a member of "The Beach Boys" because he is a salaried member of the touring band, and David is not because he does not tour with the group (aside from the seldom special occasion)?
On Wiki Brian, Mike, Al, and Bruce are listed as the current members of the band, David having apparently left in 2012. This all seems very arbitrary to me. As you said, The Beach Boys (really) are no longer together.

Gabo, I agree with you. On Wikipedia, David was listed as a current member until a couple months ago. I tried to argue (not in a fight-type way) that he be listed as current because he had been in C50 and there wasn't any band work going on anyway, not to mention the occasional dates/appearances he did with Mike and Bruce in 2014 and 2015. I think the other editor mentioned the corporate status as a reason; I'll have to come back and then update you. But he said that he thinks the article should be updated as mentioning the group broke up in 1998 (with the 2011-2012 reunion).

Hey Jude, do you think David could technically argue for his right for a share in BRI because (correct me if I'm wrong) Murry Wilson eliminated his share (I think)?
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6615 on: February 22, 2018, 10:41:26 PM »

Is there a thread for songs inspired by the Beach Boys. Such as Little Cobra, I live for the sun, New Yorks A lonely Town, to California Callin Ya by The Explorers.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6616 on: February 22, 2018, 11:42:45 PM »

I don’t think so but if there isn’t, that’s a good idea. If it turns out there is I can always merge them

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6617 on: February 23, 2018, 09:30:47 AM »

I don't think it's wholly arbitrary. The band really doesn't exist. There is no present tense "is a member of the band" anymore.

Prior to the band essentially dissolving in 1997/1998, David Marks hadn't been a member since 1963.

David Marks in both cases leaving the band (studio or "touring" band) in 1963 and 1999 chose to quit. I think that, coupled with being gone from the band for 34 years during most of its career (not to downplay his key role in the early albums), leads to the distinction being made as far as his membership is concerned.

In contrast, as of the time the band dissolved, Al had never "left" the band, nor had Brian.

I think David, whether one agrees with such an attitude or not, was seen *initially* as sort of an ancillary member of the band even during C50. He *wasn't* on that initial "reunion" session in May 2011. Now, I absolutely consider him a big part of the reunion and as much a member as anyone else.

David occupies a pretty unique position within the band's hierarchy and history. Guys like Chaplin and Fataar have a pretty clear short-term membership. Dave's "status" past or present isn't exactly easy to define, because he rejoined the band in late 1997 in the middle of perhaps its most tumultuous period (as far as machinations rather than music), and his membership when he rejoined, even in its brevity (less than two years) began before the band had "officially" dissolved (but at a point where it had ceased being an active studio band), and then ended after the band had dissolved.

So David was kind of just joining the touring band, the same way Al is in Brian's band currently. I never viewed Dave in 1997-1999 as having "rejoined" the true "Beach Boys", not because of anyting to do with David's talent or status, but simply because the band didn't really exist anymore.

So if Mike hired Ricky Fataar for his current "Beach Boys" tour, I wouldn't really view it was "Ricky Fataar rejoining the Beach Boys" in the same way that, say, Bruce rejoined in 1978, etc.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6618 on: February 23, 2018, 09:42:25 AM »

Hey Jude, do you think David could technically argue for his right for a share in BRI because (correct me if I'm wrong) Murry Wilson eliminated his share (I think)?

In short, naw, I don't think so.

I think just logistically/realistically, it just isn't something that would work. I doubt Dave can or wants to pay lawyers to pursue such a thing, and BRI has many, many lawyers always at the ready.

I'm also not even sure a case could be made for Dave to be made a shareholder of BRI. Whatever business entity existed in 1963 wasn't even BRI. So even if Dave could make some sort of legal case for a piece of some sort of profit or royalties or ownership stake in something, I don't it would mean all of a sudden owning a piece of BRI.

As I recall, even *Al* wasn't initially a member of BRI at its inception.

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6619 on: February 23, 2018, 11:04:40 AM »

I think just logistically/realistically, it just isn't something that would work. I doubt Dave can or wants to pay lawyers to pursue such a thing, and BRI has many, many lawyers always at the ready.

Do you think Mike would help David out to that end?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6620 on: February 23, 2018, 11:33:36 AM »

There's no way Mike (nor likely any BRI member) would just decide to hand over 20% of their corporation to a new member. Nor would I expect them to. Part of the reason they're shareholders is that the put all those years in.

How much they'd help Dave (if Dave needed help) pursuing other BB business-related issues, or how much they already have in the past, I don't know.

KDS
« Reply #6621 on: February 23, 2018, 11:36:33 AM »

I think if you let David Marks have a share, then you potentially open up Pandora's Box for Blondie and Ricky, and of course, Bruce.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6622 on: February 23, 2018, 11:39:44 AM »

Well, the theory above about Dave would be different from other members in that Dave had some sort of stake in the business when he was in the band in 1962-1963. To be clear, I don't think he would have any wiggle room to assert any claims to BRI right now as far as I can tell.

KDS
« Reply #6623 on: February 23, 2018, 11:41:15 AM »

Well, the theory above about Dave would be different from other members in that Dave had some sort of stake in the business when he was in the band in 1962-1963. To be clear, I don't think he would have any wiggle room to assert any claims to BRI right now as far as I can tell.

His lack of songwriting credits would make it a tough sell. 
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6624 on: February 25, 2018, 08:34:14 AM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=9187.0

That thread (^^^), made well before I joined the forum, is about Brian's shows with the band after Dennis' death and before C50. What isn't mentioned is how many shows where Brian actually plays the full shows (other than the times he serves a sub for Al). Do we have any of these confirmed?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 262 263 264 [265] 266 267 268 269 270 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx