gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:55:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 and 48 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 261 262 263 [264] 265 266 267 268 269 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399308 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #6575 on: January 11, 2018, 04:48:45 PM »

True, but they made amends before Carl died.

Carl was the best man at Brian's wedding in 1995.

Yep, time to bust the myth about Brian & Carl being in bad terms.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6576 on: January 12, 2018, 09:14:33 AM »

I don't know about "bad terms", but Carl and Brian seemed to have a strained/awkward relationship throughout the 90s (and late 80s for that matter).

I think it's a myth to say they were fully estranged. "Bad terms" is a tougher term to parse one way or the other.

But "often strained" seems like a good term to used based on the extant information. I think Landy was a big part of what messed up their relationship. Not the only cause, but a major cause.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #6577 on: January 12, 2018, 12:05:43 PM »

So we pretty much have confirmed that David isn't on the Nascar CD at all, and Bruce only contributed to one song- Don't Worry Baby, playing keyboard. Do you guys think Dean Torrence is on there? Perhaps actually providing the falsetto on Little Old Lady From Pasadena. To my ears, it actually sounds more like Dean Torrence than Adrian Baker
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6578 on: January 12, 2018, 04:08:13 PM »

So we pretty much have confirmed that David isn't on the Nascar CD at all, and Bruce only contributed to one song- Don't Worry Baby, playing keyboard. Do you guys think Dean Torrence is on there? Perhaps actually providing the falsetto on Little Old Lady From Pasadena. To my ears, it actually sounds more like Dean Torrence than Adrian Baker

Just found this scan of the liner notes on Discogs.  It is Dean Torrence.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6579 on: January 12, 2018, 04:55:40 PM »

Somewhere I do own a copy of the NASCAR cd, but not sure where it is. I don't even remember that photo featuring 4 members... is that a posed shot with Mike, Bruce, Dave, and Dean? If so, I wonder if it was ever floated that Dean would join the "BBs" band in this odd transitional time. Seems odd to do a photoshoot otherwise.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6580 on: January 12, 2018, 05:22:23 PM »

Somewhere I do own a copy of the NASCAR cd, but not sure where it is. I don't even remember that photo featuring 4 members... is that a posed shot with Mike, Bruce, Dave, and Dean? If so, I wonder if it was ever floated that Dean would join the "BBs" band in this odd transitional time. Seems odd to do a photoshoot otherwise.

He did also appear with them at that “America’s Band” Super Bowl gig that Al wasn’t invited to so it’s possible.

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6581 on: January 12, 2018, 05:41:43 PM »

I don't know about "bad terms", but Carl and Brian seemed to have a strained/awkward relationship throughout the 90s (and late 80s for that matter).

I think it's a myth to say they were fully estranged. "Bad terms" is a tougher term to parse one way or the other.

But "often strained" seems like a good term to used based on the extant information. I think Landy was a big part of what messed up their relationship. Not the only cause, but a major cause.

Yes, that's my take on it too. Carl (in the late '80s) was very frustrated about Landy keeping him from communicating with Brian.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #6582 on: January 13, 2018, 04:42:09 AM »

Yes, I read threads about it.

I think it's a myth to say they were fully estranged.
I meant exactly that. Some fans dramatize Brian's & Carl relationship, smb. even said they didn't reconcile till Carl's death. Which I don't believe is true.

"Bad terms" is a tougher term to parse one way or the other.

Well I figured "bad terms" is in the same vein as "strained". Thanks to clarify.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6583 on: January 13, 2018, 01:29:53 PM »

How did Blondie "get back into the fold" and start touring with Brian?

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6584 on: January 13, 2018, 03:28:32 PM »

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ex-beach-boy-blondie-chaplin-reunites-with-brian-wilson-after-40-years-20131014

How did you wind up on this Brian Wilson tour?
It's a funny thing. All of a sudden, I get a call from Jeff Foskett. He's Brian's musical director. He said that Brian wanted to know if I wanted to come down and do some singing parts on his new album. This was totally out of the blue. Out of the blue! I hadn't been in a studio with Brian for 40 years. I said, "Sure!"

I went down to Ocean Way and was there for about an hour, layering on parts and stuff like that. When I was leaving, Jeff said, "Hey Brian, don't you want to ask something to Blondie?" Brian goes, "Oh yeah! Do you want to come sing 'Sail On Sailor' at the Greek Theater in Los Angeles?" I said, "Oh, sure. Just give me a buzz and we'll figure it out a little later." And then it turned into two shows and another three, and now I'm being brought in on eight gigs. It's nice to be a part of it. I wasn't expecting this when I was going to the studio. It's very nice that he asked me. He's a good guy.

The one funny thing that struck me after not seeing him for a while is that I was so used to seeing him with his two brothers. When I walked into the studio and shook his hand, I was looking at him and seeing the other two, one on each side. It was a little unnerving. It tripped me out.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6585 on: January 16, 2018, 06:59:32 PM »

Not an insignificant question, but is it known when Pet Sounds was written? I mean, was Brian working on it in the summer of '65? When the BBs were approached about the follow up to Summer Days, had Brian even begun writing their next album? I know there were a few sessions in the fall, so by Oct/Nov he had a few songs in the works. I also read that I'm Waiting For The Day was copyrighted in early '64. Tony Asher didn't get involved until sometime in Dec/Jan. So, is it known if Brian was methodically writing the album over the course of, say, 6-8 months or if he wrote the majority of it relatively quickly and/or concurrently with the recording of the album?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 07:03:30 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6586 on: January 28, 2018, 10:21:43 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:09:34 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6587 on: January 28, 2018, 10:25:32 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:09:29 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
Forrest Gump
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6588 on: January 28, 2018, 10:50:37 AM »

In the 1974 BBC radio special Jack commented that they recorded a new backing track  for the song Surf’s Up but scrapped it because the original track was superior to the new recording.
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6589 on: January 28, 2018, 11:42:35 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:09:20 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6590 on: January 28, 2018, 12:01:34 PM »

For what it's worth - info from the "Surf's Up" 1971 AFM contract:

Piano: Mike Rubini
Guitar or bass: Bill Pitman
Bass: Lyle Ritz
Drums: Frank Capp
Percussion: Gene Estes
Woodwinds: Plas Johnson, Jay Migliori, Allan Beutler
Trumpet: Roy Caton
Tuben horn and/or French horn: David Duke
French horns: Alan Robinson and Gale Robinson

Recorded at Sunset Sound Recorders, Hollywood, Friday June 18, 1971, 10:00am-5:00pm
Artist is listed as "The Beach Boys", employer name has "Brother Records" crossed off & "Marilyn Wilson" written in.
Dianne Rovell is the contractor...she and "leader" Mike Rubini stayed til 5:00pm, the others only until 1:30.
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6591 on: January 28, 2018, 12:11:59 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:09:14 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #6592 on: January 28, 2018, 12:39:06 PM »

Tuben horn and/or French horn: David Duke

Had to look that one up! It's a so-called Wagner Tuba, as used by that composer as well as by the symphonist Anton Bruckner. There's a fascinating video at this link that admirably demonstrates the difference in sound between it and the more prevalent French Horn:

https://bandestration.com/category/horns-and-wagner-tuben/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagner_tuba

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6593 on: January 28, 2018, 01:05:30 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:09:09 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6594 on: February 06, 2018, 10:42:45 AM »

Can anyone point me to a site where I can hear or see Randy Bachman (or the band he was in, Union) doing Keepin the Summer Alive? 
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6595 on: February 12, 2018, 12:59:15 AM »

Can you watch this video and note the comments, and not be totally convinced that our society is already on an irreconciliable path towards civil war and destruction and we are totally unable to prevent it?

https://youtu.be/HBAgm-kfBmo
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #6596 on: February 12, 2018, 02:20:43 AM »

Can anyone point me to a site where I can hear or see Randy Bachman (or the band he was in, Union) doing Keepin the Summer Alive? 

It's here (as "Keep the Summer Alive") but you have to join AllMusic to hear it:

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/union-mn0001524136/songs

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #6597 on: February 12, 2018, 07:21:02 AM »

Do any pictures exist from when Dean Torrence filled in for Bruce Johnston in the early 2000's?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6598 on: February 20, 2018, 08:09:59 PM »

I was reading a post on Facebook, something about Mike’s reputation beginning to get better in 2018. But in it it mentioned Mike having to hire extra security for him and his family after the 2012 C50 ending because of death threats he was receiving. I’m assuming that was in his book (that I haven’t read), just wondered if someone could confirm that. What a shame if that’s true. I get he has a bad reputation, but why on earth would anyone stoop that low?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6599 on: February 20, 2018, 11:57:58 PM »

That’s sickening if true. I may be extremely critical of many of the choices he’s made over the years , but that’s crossing the line. Nobody should have that level of hatred,and I will never understand that

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 261 262 263 [264] 265 266 267 268 269 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx