gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:41:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 and 47 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 260 261 262 [263] 264 265 266 267 268 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399303 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6550 on: December 11, 2017, 07:29:28 AM »

Are there any high quality audio recordings of a Mike & Bruce show?

There are several soundboard audio recordings and some pro-shot videos (with usually good sound) as well.

The first is a circa May 1998 "Corporate" gig for Toyota. David Marks is with them, and Matt Jardine is still in the band. No Al.

YouTube has some other Baker/Bardowell 1999-early 2000s era stuff that's pro-shot. I know they aired their show in Texas on July 4, 2001, or whatever the date was, on local TV; it was Mike Meros's last show.

The only recent full-show pro-shot video of Mike's band is that thing from a few weeks ago that was up on that website for a day or two. Mike's band sounded pretty tired and ragged, but I wish it had been captured by someone, as it's the only pro-shot full show from the last few years in the Foskett era of Mike's band as far as I know.

There's a soundboard recording from around 2004 in the UK that a lot of people made a big deal about back then. I never really went out of my way to hunt stuff down from Mike's band. His various TV appearances and YouTube have usually been good enough for me. But full pro-shot shows on video are good documents from a historical perspective.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #6551 on: December 11, 2017, 11:26:27 AM »

This was originally on today but I missed it.
But Mike and Co will perform in a replay on the Hallmark Channel's Home and Family Show, tomorrow (Dec 12) 12 noon Eastern US time.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 02:01:19 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #6552 on: December 11, 2017, 01:34:19 PM »

What does Blondie Chaplin do for fun?

According to my observations earlier this year, smoking pot and chatting up the ladies seems to make him happy Cool Guy LOL
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 01:46:07 PM by Mike Garneau » Logged
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6553 on: December 12, 2017, 09:51:12 PM »

Has anyone ever figured out what instrument (or "instrument") was used to create the clip clop sound in God Only Knows?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6554 on: December 12, 2017, 10:05:01 PM »

Go to 5.40 on this clip.

https://youtu.be/DVUBpzlELOg

Jim Gordon on Bongo apparently.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 10:05:37 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6555 on: December 13, 2017, 04:25:07 AM »

When did the incident with Stan Love/Rocky Pamplin and Dennis happen?
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6556 on: December 13, 2017, 05:17:46 AM »

Super Bowl Sunday, 1981. Which I believe was 1/25.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
13thBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6557 on: December 15, 2017, 08:10:37 AM »

Does anyone know the actor's name who played the protagonist of the Getcha Back and It's Getting Late video? He looks so familiar that it is driving me crazy.

Thank you!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6558 on: December 15, 2017, 11:26:32 AM »

Super Bowl Sunday, 1981. Which I believe was 1/25.

I just realized this was only a little over a month after the infamous Good Morning America appearance.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #6559 on: December 15, 2017, 12:17:44 PM »

Was Brian Wilson on Laughing Gravy (Dean Torrence) version of Vegetables? I think  I recall reading that he wasn't on the original release, but was overdubbed for the late 70's release. Can't quite remember though.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #6560 on: December 15, 2017, 02:23:04 PM »

Was Brian Wilson on Laughing Gravy (Dean Torrence) version of Vegetables? I think  I recall reading that he wasn't on the original release, but was overdubbed for the late 70's release. Can't quite remember though.

Does this help?

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=10123.0

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
sensiblechuckle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6561 on: December 22, 2017, 01:04:51 PM »

Which Beach Boys songs has the most full time members (past and present) on one song?

My gut is telling me that the only song is California Saga: California which has Brian, Carl, Dennis, Mike, Al, Blondie, and Ricky, as well as Bruce as a backup vocal, leaving David Marks the only full time member out; are there any other songs that have 8 members on one song?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6562 on: December 23, 2017, 03:09:08 AM »

Which Beach Boys songs has the most full time members (past and present) on one song?

My gut is telling me that the only song is California Saga: California which has Brian, Carl, Dennis, Mike, Al, Blondie, and Ricky, as well as Bruce as a backup vocal, leaving David Marks the only full time member out; are there any other songs that have 8 members on one song?

Hi, sc, and welcome!

My meagre knowledge of Beach Boys history tells me there were never all eight members on any song.

Always willing to be proved wrong, of course....

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
swinkhouse
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6563 on: December 27, 2017, 07:50:15 PM »

What horn-like instrument is being played on every 2nd and 4th beat in the pre-chorus for "IJWMFTT"? I didn't notice it till recently when I was listening to the instrumental backing track. I can't hear it as well with headphones but for some reason I've noticed it more on speakers  Huh
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6564 on: December 28, 2017, 04:28:36 AM »

What horn-like instrument is being played on every 2nd and 4th beat in the pre-chorus for "IJWMFTT"? I didn't notice it till recently when I was listening to the instrumental backing track. I can't hear it as well with headphones but for some reason I've noticed it more on speakers  Huh

You can find the rundown of instruments on "IJWMFFT" at c-man's indispensable site:

http://www.beachboysarchives.com/page10

Maybe that will help. I have cloth ears but it might just be a bass harmonica you're hearing...

swinkhouse
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6565 on: December 28, 2017, 08:20:40 AM »

You can find the rundown of instruments on "IJWMFFT" at c-man's indispensable site:

http://www.beachboysarchives.com/page10

Maybe that will help. I have cloth ears but it might just be a bass harmonica you're hearing...

I was thinking it was a bass harmonica too at first but it has a completely different timbre, almost sounds like an old car horn or a chair scooting on wooden flooring hahaha. It may be a bass clarinet
hapman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6566 on: January 07, 2018, 07:26:53 AM »

Probably the most insignificant question of the year, but why are some of the back covers of the 60s Beach Boys albums reprinted in such an awful quality in the booklet of virtually every CD reissue? For an example, this is what the original back cover of Shut Down Vol. 2 looks like, and this is how it looks like in the booklet of the 2001 two-fer. I checked some other reissues and almost all of them have these ugly, darkened pictures, even Japanese ones, though Japanese usually pay meticulous attention to the artwork of their CD releases.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6567 on: January 07, 2018, 10:33:19 AM »

It looks like they used a photo or a scan of the back cover of the LP for the CD booklet, making it at least a second generation of the cover. Reusing images that were dot-screened for printing makes it harder to reprint with more dot-screening, resulting in a lower-quality image.

There are tricks to alleviate some of the dot-screen images in Photoshop nowadays, but they weren't necessarily availble for older reissues.
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6568 on: January 07, 2018, 02:34:02 PM »

The booklet for the Good Vibrations boxset suggests that "a number of songs for motion picture soundtracks (e.g. "Americathon", "Problem Child") that weren't hits" would be included on a "forthcoming Beach Boys Rarities collection".

So whatever happened to that?

Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6569 on: January 08, 2018, 03:33:45 AM »

Is it true Carl and Brian's relationship deteriorated after the whole Landy Episode in the 80s/early90s?
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6570 on: January 08, 2018, 12:03:40 PM »

True, but they made amends before Carl died.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 12:04:19 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6571 on: January 08, 2018, 04:50:06 PM »

True, but they made amends before Carl died.

Carl was the best man at Brian's wedding in 1995.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6572 on: January 09, 2018, 06:59:47 AM »

There was certainly some level of estrangement and ill feelings between Carl and Brian during and after Landy and the fake autobiography.

But they were never really fully estranged. Carl even helped Brian with some solo sessions during the mid 90s, joining Brian for a "Proud Mary" session at one point.

Carl appeared with Brian in the IJWMFTT doc. He attended the 1995 "Paley" group sessions, did the 1996 "Stars and Stripes" TV and live shows and other promotions with Brian, as well as the (awful) Status Quo single.

I think some level of animosity or tension or ill feelings remained from the damage Landy had done to their relationship. But I don't think they were ever fully estranged to the point of needing a full reconciliation or anything.

A lot of people talk about the Mike-Brian relationship, or Mike-Dennis.

But I think the Carl-Brian and Al-Mike relationships are potentially the most complex (for very different reasons).
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 07:00:57 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6573 on: January 09, 2018, 08:06:04 AM »

There was certainly some level of estrangement and ill feelings between Carl and Brian during and after Landy and the fake autobiography.

But they were never really fully estranged. Carl even helped Brian with some solo sessions during the mid 90s, joining Brian for a "Proud Mary" session at one point.

Carl appeared with Brian in the IJWMFTT doc. He attended the 1995 "Paley" group sessions, did the 1996 "Stars and Stripes" TV and live shows and other promotions with Brian, as well as the (awful) Status Quo single.

I think some level of animosity or tension or ill feelings remained from the damage Landy had done to their relationship. But I don't think they were ever fully estranged to the point of needing a full reconciliation or anything.

But I think the Carl-Brian and Al-Mike relationships are potentially the most complex (for very different reasons).

Thanks for your replies guys.  It's to hear that they managed to remain close.  Why and when did the animosity start with Al and Mike? Sort of came out of nowhere.

I appreciate all of your replies!!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6574 on: January 09, 2018, 09:32:54 AM »

Thanks for your replies guys.  It's to hear that they managed to remain close.  Why and when did the animosity start with Al and Mike? Sort of came out of nowhere.

I appreciate all of your replies!!

I don't think the precise nature of the Al-Mike souring is known. But I think the available info tells some of the story.

To begin with, it has often been partially-incorrectly said that Mike and Al were tight in the 70s and 80s. I don't think this was ever the case. Other than TM, they had little in common and had very different personalities. I think they stuck together by default as the relative "teetotaler" element of the group in the late 70s.

Eventually, Al's "attitude" was apparently one issue, as described by Mike's 1992 Goldmine interview.

Peter Ames Carlin cites an attempt to oust Al from the band in *1990*, but offers no further information.

Al sat out most of the SIP sessions in 1991/1992. They all evidently patched things up to some degree.

It has been indicated that a big factor in the falling out, perhaps the final straw, was Al objecting in the mid-late 90s to Mike's company taking on producing BB tours. Al disagreed, nobody backed him, and he was on the outs from that point on.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 260 261 262 [263] 264 265 266 267 268 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx