gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:45:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 and 42 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 258 259 260 [261] 262 263 264 265 266 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399246 times)
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6500 on: August 12, 2017, 10:17:10 PM »

Do we know what Boys played on Why?

Also, who is doing the low duh duh duhduh vocals on I'm waiting for the day? It's either mike or Dennis... sounds like Dennis to me but I can't tell.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6501 on: August 15, 2017, 06:58:44 AM »

Does anyone have a high quality version of this image? Not looking to commit any copyright infringement, just something personal.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #6502 on: August 15, 2017, 08:18:01 AM »

who is doing the low duh duh duhduh vocals on I'm waiting for the day? It's either mike or Dennis... sounds like Dennis to me but I can't tell.

According to Mike Johnston at the Hoffman Boards, "Mike is on 'I'm Waiting For The Day' for sure...he does the bass vocal during the chorus/fade, and he also pops up at the end singing 'No!', and 'Uh uh' during the fade between Brian's parts."
Source: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/mid-voice-in-god-only-knows-bridge.291572/

I've always assumed it to be Mike. But c-man is the one you want for this information...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6503 on: August 15, 2017, 09:39:59 AM »

Gosh, I'd never guess those low parts on "I'm Waiting for the Day" are anybody but Mike.

The only person who I've heard on those early era records who apparently occasionally did those types of low parts was Brian. I'd buy more that it's Brian than Dennis if it's not Mike. But I'm guessing it's Mike.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6504 on: August 15, 2017, 09:50:59 AM »

I've never thought the 'I'm Waiting For The Day' bass vocals were Dennis, but I've gone back and forth on if I thought it was Mike or Brian (or both). It's rather annoying, because I can't completely convince myself either way.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 10:17:15 AM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6505 on: August 16, 2017, 05:42:55 PM »

I have a question!...that maybe doesn't 'have' a real answer, but looking for opinions anyway.

In 1995's "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" album, Brian Wilson does a version of "Melt Away". In the original from 1988, he sings:

"I feel just like an island
Until I see you smiling
And my blues just melt away"

But in the new version during that parts, he sings

"And my dreams just melt away"

Why did he change 'blues' to 'dreams'? Blues makes it sound like the girl makes his sadness go away. Dreams make it sound like his happiness is melting away or something. Maybe he means bad dreams, like nightmares? But "and my nightmares just melt away" didn't really fit? I just thought it was weird because for me it kinda changes the feel and even meaning of the song. I like the 1995 version a lot, though, but this has always bugged me a little.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6506 on: August 16, 2017, 09:08:32 PM »

Brian changed a few lyrics on that IJWMFTT soundtrack. He also changed some at the end of "Wonderful" ("she'll smile and thank God"). As with the other lyric change, smiling is certainly different from sighing, potentially anyway.

Unlike cases of just biffing the lyrics, these inexplicable yet certainly deliberate changes are certainly interesting.

Obviously, in the case of Wonderful he's probably just doing the SS lyrics instead of the Smile lyrics, but it's interesting nonetheless, especially since the IJWMFTT version uses a more Smile-esque musical arrangement.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 09:14:25 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6507 on: August 17, 2017, 03:01:22 AM »

My question. Where is the OP?

Runners,  everytime this thread comes to the top I see your name and think of you. Please come back, I miss you.......
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6508 on: August 17, 2017, 01:10:29 PM »

I have a question!...that maybe doesn't 'have' a real answer, but looking for opinions anyway.

In 1995's "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" album, Brian Wilson does a version of "Melt Away". In the original from 1988, he sings:

"I feel just like an island
Until I see you smiling
And my blues just melt away"

But in the new version during that parts, he sings

"And my dreams just melt away"

Why did he change 'blues' to 'dreams'? Blues makes it sound like the girl makes his sadness go away. Dreams make it sound like his happiness is melting away or something. Maybe he means bad dreams, like nightmares? But "and my nightmares just melt away" didn't really fit? I just thought it was weird because for me it kinda changes the feel and even meaning of the song. I like the 1995 version a lot, though, but this has always bugged me a little.

Not sure what the answer is, but I agree with you. The lyric change doesn't work for me either.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #6509 on: September 02, 2017, 09:58:58 AM »

For those on FB, Blondie Chaplin's site invited people to post questions, and he's been answering them today.
One asked if the other Flame record would be released, the answer was "if we can get Brother Records to get off the dime".
Another post was the good vibes he had doing Sail on Sailor at Brian's house, with Carl and Ricky.
Great of him to take the time to answer questions
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 10:01:35 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6510 on: September 02, 2017, 12:15:10 PM »

For those on FB, Blondie Chaplin's site invited people to post questions, and he's been answering them today.
One asked if the other Flame record would be released, the answer was "if we can get Brother Records to get off the dime".
Another post was the good vibes he had doing Sail on Sailor at Brian's house, with Carl and Ricky.
Great of him to take the time to answer questions

Thanks, E. Blondie sounds like a first-rate guy. I have this hope of bumping into him some time when he's in the Netherlands...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6511 on: September 02, 2017, 02:21:20 PM »

Answered more questions. Asked if he kept in touch with the BBs after leaving, Blondie said not until convinced later on to see Carl. Said there were "a lot of skeletons."

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6512 on: September 05, 2017, 05:41:43 AM »

I've never thought the 'I'm Waiting For The Day' bass vocals were Dennis, but I've gone back and forth on if I thought it was Mike or Brian (or both). It's rather annoying, because I can't completely convince myself either way.
Funny, I've ALWAYS assumed it was Dennis! I say split the difference between Mike and Brian and the remainder IS Dennis.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6513 on: October 13, 2017, 04:45:43 PM »

As we all know, Blondie Chaplin played guitar and bass for The Beach Boys, and Ricky Fataar played drums, guitar, and flute. So how were the arrangements structured (i.e, what did Blondie play lead guitar on; when did Ricky switch from drums to guitar or flute; did Blondie play bass live or only on Holland; did Dennis play drums live when Ricky played guitar or did a percussionist play it because of Dennis' injury)? What was Carl's role in terms of lead guitar with Blondie in the band?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6514 on: October 25, 2017, 12:47:31 PM »

As we all know, Blondie Chaplin played guitar and bass for The Beach Boys, and Ricky Fataar played drums, guitar, and flute. So how were the arrangements structured (i.e, what did Blondie play lead guitar on; when did Ricky switch from drums to guitar or flute; did Blondie play bass live or only on Holland; did Dennis play drums live when Ricky played guitar or did a percussionist play it because of Dennis' injury)? What was Carl's role in terms of lead guitar with Blondie in the band?

Pity there's been no response as yet, ASL. Too many other pressing issues, I suppose.

I'll, um, ask around. Grin

All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6515 on: October 25, 2017, 01:13:29 PM »

Pity there's been no response as yet, ASL. Too many other pressing issues, I suppose.

Thanks, JK.  I realized it might be enough for its own topic so I made one and found out some info.  Still hoping for more though if you can help.

The new topic name is "Touring Lineup 1971/1972-1974"

But I have a new question,
What was the role of live percussionists?

« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 01:49:37 PM by All Summer Long » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6516 on: October 25, 2017, 02:27:02 PM »

Thanks, JK.  I realized it might be enough for its own topic so I made one and found out some info.  Still hoping for more though if you can help.

The new topic name is "Touring Lineup 1971/1972-1974"

But I have a new question,
What was the role of live percussionists?

Eek! I noticed that new topic out of the corner of my eye but failed to put two and two together (story of my life).

Maybe you'd be better off posting the new question in that topic as well. That's where the action (or rather erudition) is. It's possible the three percussionists in your list weren't all there simultaneously (as you suggest)----otherwise what would they all have been doing?!     

All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6517 on: October 25, 2017, 04:59:32 PM »

Good idea, thanks. 
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6518 on: October 26, 2017, 06:06:44 PM »

Just an announcement to those in the New Orleans area -
The 1980 Knebworth concert is being broadcast on Channel 32 right now (8:00 pm). It will play again at 5:00 am tomorrow.
As this station has sort of a PBS connection this might be shown on other stations in the US
They're doing Sloop John B now

Also this Sunday at 12:30 pm and early Monday at 12:30 am
Al's singing now. Great stuff
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 06:13:30 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6519 on: November 10, 2017, 12:48:38 AM »

Did the Wilson brothers ever have plans to leave the beach boys and tour as a trio?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6520 on: November 10, 2017, 05:53:25 AM »

Did the Wilson brothers ever have plans to leave the beach boys and tour as a trio?

Not to my knowledge. Its strikes me as being highly unlikely and illogical to boot.

Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6521 on: November 10, 2017, 06:42:55 AM »

Not to my knowledge. Its strikes me as being highly unlikely and illogical to boot.

It randomly came into my head when I was listening to 20/20! no idea why!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6522 on: November 13, 2017, 04:18:57 AM »

This question deleted (I know the answer now). :=)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 03:35:49 AM by JK » Logged

Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #6523 on: November 15, 2017, 12:20:46 PM »

Can anybody tell me what those girls are yelling to Brian on the live version of Gettin' Hungry on disc 2 of Sunshine Tomorrow? My ears have been failing me lately. Sounds like "hey Brian how's your dad?" or "hey Brian how's your dog?". Silly question, I know...
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6524 on: November 15, 2017, 12:32:49 PM »

Can anybody tell me what those girls are yelling to Brian on the live version of Gettin' Hungry on disc 2 of Sunshine Tomorrow? My ears have been failing me lately. Sounds like "hey Brian how's your dad?" or "hey Brian how's your dog?". Silly question, I know...

According to Ebb and Flow, Brian "had been photographed a lot with Louie and Banana for teen magazines in '66".

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,25135.msg613590.html#msg613590
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 12:34:55 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 258 259 260 [261] 262 263 264 265 266 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx