gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
614411 Posts in 24791 Topics by 3521 Members - Latest Member: MaestroDavros August 18, 2017, 08:44:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 258 259 260 [261] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 513272 times)
Rebel
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #6500 on: August 12, 2017, 10:17:10 PM »

Do we know what Boys played on Why?

Also, who is doing the low duh duh duhduh vocals on I'm waiting for the day? It's either mike or Dennis... sounds like Dennis to me but I can't tell.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6501 on: August 15, 2017, 06:58:44 AM »

Does anyone have a high quality version of this image? Not looking to commit any copyright infringement, just something personal.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Perhaps I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #6502 on: August 15, 2017, 08:18:01 AM »

who is doing the low duh duh duhduh vocals on I'm waiting for the day? It's either mike or Dennis... sounds like Dennis to me but I can't tell.

According to Mike Johnston at the Hoffman Boards, "Mike is on 'I'm Waiting For The Day' for sure...he does the bass vocal during the chorus/fade, and he also pops up at the end singing 'No!', and 'Uh uh' during the fade between Brian's parts."
Source: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/mid-voice-in-god-only-knows-bridge.291572/

I've always assumed it to be Mike. But c-man is the one you want for this information...

"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6503 on: August 15, 2017, 09:39:59 AM »

Gosh, I'd never guess those low parts on "I'm Waiting for the Day" are anybody but Mike.

The only person who I've heard on those early era records who apparently occasionally did those types of low parts was Brian. I'd buy more that it's Brian than Dennis if it's not Mike. But I'm guessing it's Mike.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6504 on: August 15, 2017, 09:50:59 AM »

I've never thought the 'I'm Waiting For The Day' bass vocals were Dennis, but I've gone back and forth on if I thought it was Mike or Brian (or both). It's rather annoying, because I can't completely convince myself either way.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 10:17:15 AM by B.E. » Logged
JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6505 on: August 16, 2017, 05:42:55 PM »

I have a question!...that maybe doesn't 'have' a real answer, but looking for opinions anyway.

In 1995's "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" album, Brian Wilson does a version of "Melt Away". In the original from 1988, he sings:

"I feel just like an island
Until I see you smiling
And my blues just melt away"

But in the new version during that parts, he sings

"And my dreams just melt away"

Why did he change 'blues' to 'dreams'? Blues makes it sound like the girl makes his sadness go away. Dreams make it sound like his happiness is melting away or something. Maybe he means bad dreams, like nightmares? But "and my nightmares just melt away" didn't really fit? I just thought it was weird because for me it kinda changes the feel and even meaning of the song. I like the 1995 version a lot, though, but this has always bugged me a little.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6506 on: August 16, 2017, 09:08:32 PM »

Brian changed a few lyrics on that IJWMFTT soundtrack. He also changed some at the end of "Wonderful" ("she'll smile and thank God"). As with the other lyric change, smiling is certainly different from sighing, potentially anyway.

Unlike cases of just biffing the lyrics, these inexplicable yet certainly deliberate changes are certainly interesting.

Obviously, in the case of Wonderful he's probably just doing the SS lyrics instead of the Smile lyrics, but it's interesting nonetheless, especially since the IJWMFTT version uses a more Smile-esque musical arrangement.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 09:14:25 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6507 on: August 17, 2017, 03:01:22 AM »

My question. Where is the OP?

Runners,  everytime this thread comes to the top I see your name and think of you. Please come back, I miss you.......
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6508 on: August 17, 2017, 01:10:29 PM »

I have a question!...that maybe doesn't 'have' a real answer, but looking for opinions anyway.

In 1995's "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" album, Brian Wilson does a version of "Melt Away". In the original from 1988, he sings:

"I feel just like an island
Until I see you smiling
And my blues just melt away"

But in the new version during that parts, he sings

"And my dreams just melt away"

Why did he change 'blues' to 'dreams'? Blues makes it sound like the girl makes his sadness go away. Dreams make it sound like his happiness is melting away or something. Maybe he means bad dreams, like nightmares? But "and my nightmares just melt away" didn't really fit? I just thought it was weird because for me it kinda changes the feel and even meaning of the song. I like the 1995 version a lot, though, but this has always bugged me a little.

Not sure what the answer is, but I agree with you. The lyric change doesn't work for me either.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 258 259 260 [261] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx