gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:15:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 and 42 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 257 258 259 [260] 261 262 263 264 265 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399171 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6475 on: June 23, 2017, 02:26:32 PM »

Right, same with SIP's summer awareness theme. (Proposed reissue with Filleplage liner notes) LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6476 on: June 23, 2017, 07:06:08 PM »

If "Baby Driver" is a box office hit when released next week, look for "Let's Go Away For Awhile" to make an appearance on the trending lists. Perhaps. When people see the film, depending on how the song is used, they may go searching for it. Look what happened with "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" among the Mad Men fanbase after it appeared there.

Cool how "God Only Knows" has almost taken on another life entirely courtesy of these singing competition shows. I know it was featured on several others in recent years, and it's getting to be quite the showcase for vocalists on these programs, which gets a lot of new people who watch them downloading the song.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6477 on: June 23, 2017, 08:31:43 PM »

Well, we all know that the only reason "Sunshine Tomorrow" is happening next week is because of "Full House" and MTV airing the "Kokomo" video back in 1988.....  LOL

gee, and I thought there was a director's cut of 'Problem Child' coming to Blu-Ray with deleted scenes...
Scaroline No
« Reply #6478 on: June 28, 2017, 12:20:23 PM »

At the end of Graduation Day on Beach Boys Concert, who is it that sings "daaaaaaaaaaaayyy" on his own too early? I assume it's Dennis, because it sort of sounds like the voice is un-mic'ed and coming from the back.

Was that premature delivery just his mistake, or did the other guys play a joke on him, holding back on on purpose? It does sound like there's some other goofing around going on during the performance.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 12:21:53 PM by SCaroline Z » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #6479 on: June 28, 2017, 12:24:42 PM »

At the end of Graduation Day on Beach Boys Concert, who is it that sings "daaaaaaaaaaaayyy" on his own too early? I assume it's Dennis, because it sort of sounds like the voice is un-mic'ed and coming from the back.

Was that premature delivery just his mistake, or did the other guys play a joke on him, holding back on on purpose? It does sound like there's some other goofing around going on during the performance.

Haha, yes, it's Dennis. I should imagine it was merely overenthusiasm on his part.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6480 on: June 28, 2017, 02:18:24 PM »

It is, I believe, during a 1989 "Endless Summer" campfire segment after a performance of the song, that Brian reminisces about Dennis doing that note at the end of "Graduation Day."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Scaroline No
« Reply #6481 on: June 29, 2017, 06:47:22 AM »

Haha, yes, it's Dennis. I should imagine it was merely overenthusiasm on his part.

It is, I believe, during a 1989 "Endless Summer" campfire segment after a performance of the song, that Brian reminisces about Dennis doing that note at the end of "Graduation Day."

Thanks for confirming that JK and HJ Smiley

I had no idea this Endless Summer TV series existed... Definitely gonna have to look into that! I found an episode guide that looks like this recollection happened on episode 7.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 06:50:01 AM by SCaroline Z » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6482 on: June 29, 2017, 08:49:55 AM »

Thanks for confirming that JK and HJ Smiley

I had no idea this Endless Summer TV series existed... Definitely gonna have to look into that! I found an episode guide that looks like this recollection happened on episode 7.

There are some random clips on YouTube. There used to, I think, be a compilation on YouTube of all the BB "Campfire" segments, but it's either gone or I can't find it (or it was never there and I'm nuts). I can't find the "Graduation Day" clip at the moment on YouTube.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6483 on: June 29, 2017, 08:59:56 AM »

Having just finally got around to watching the documentary on songwriter Paul Williams, I was curious if he had any notable connection to The Beach Boys back in the day.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6484 on: June 29, 2017, 09:19:31 AM »

I dunno, but I *do* know Paul Williams was in "Battle for the Planet of the Apes":

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6485 on: June 29, 2017, 09:36:43 AM »

Haha, he did star in "the phantom of the paradise" with a great BBs parody.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8q2ejKAsHg

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #6486 on: July 04, 2017, 10:26:40 PM »

Is it just me or has Bruce's hair varied in colors for the last ten or so years?

Like at any given moment it could've been brown, red, grey, or even snow white...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6487 on: July 06, 2017, 06:15:35 AM »

Is it just me or has Bruce's hair varied in colors for the last ten or so years?

Like at any given moment it could've been brown, red, grey, or even snow white...

I've noticed that. Not sure about snow white though. Grin

I remember it was ginger at a time when it was rumoured (on this board, of course) that Mike had ginger pubes.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6488 on: July 22, 2017, 04:14:41 PM »

I've read in some places that there was a promotional video for Good Timin'.  I've searched the internets for this to no avail.  Has anyone ever seen it or know where I can find it?

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6489 on: July 23, 2017, 04:40:10 AM »

Only one I'm aware of is a performance clip that is partially featured in the endless harmony documentary
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #6490 on: July 23, 2017, 03:30:23 PM »

Only one I'm aware of is a performance clip that is partially featured in the endless harmony documentary

There was (on YouTube) a full version of it as part of a whole series of clips which were used to seemingly promote Endless Harmony via purchase at ampop.com

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6491 on: July 23, 2017, 03:38:02 PM »

I've asked in the Mike and Bruce European Tour topic, but does anyone know when M&B typically add the Christmas set to their shows? I'm thinking about going to see them on December 1st and I'm hoping that they'll at least throw in Little Saint Nick, since it's one of the few songs I haven't seen them do live.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6492 on: July 24, 2017, 08:24:14 AM »

AMC did air the "Good Timin'" promo film back in 2000, and it was indeed the one shown briefly on the DVD version of "Endless Harmony."

It's not a terribly interesting promo film (or video I should say, as it was shot on videotape). I actually like straight-forward "performance" clips like this one, but this particular video was edited a bit oddly, with weird almost slo-mo transitions during/between between certain shots. My recollection is that it looked they cut together a bunch of "takes" to make the finished version.

I also have a recollection that they shot at least two videos on that same set. They may have shot another one for "Here Comes the Night" or something else from the album.

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #6493 on: July 24, 2017, 05:10:35 PM »

The "Good Timin"" promo I've seen has just standard transitions between shots, perhaps they cut another version.

And yes, "Here Comes The Night" was filmed using the same staging.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6494 on: August 07, 2017, 09:43:48 AM »

"When I look at other girls it must kill her inside

But it'd be another story if she looked at the guys...."

Maybe I'm just being dense, but what exactly is being implied with these lyrics? How would it be a 'different story'? Would it not kill him inside if she looked at other guys?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6495 on: August 07, 2017, 10:33:26 AM »

Maybe I'm just being dense, but what exactly is being implied with these lyrics? How would it be a 'different story'? Would it not kill him inside if she looked at other guys?

I'm not a lyrics person by any stretch of the imagination but I think the idea is that she keeps quiet (and suffers inside) when he looks at other girls but if she were to look at the guys he'd do everything but keep quiet. In fact he'd kick up a major stink. So she doesn't look at them.

They do love each other, you know.

JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6496 on: August 07, 2017, 10:36:49 AM »

I'm not a lyrics person by any stretch of the imagination but I think the idea is that she keeps quiet (and suffers inside) when he looks at other girls but if she were to look at the guys he'd do everything but keep quiet. In fact he'd kick up a major stink. So she doesn't look at them.

They do love each other, you know.

Oh, yeah. That's what I was sorta thinking it meant, but wasn't sure at all. That makes sense. Thanks!

I love that song but those two lines had always made me pause.
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6497 on: August 11, 2017, 12:59:53 PM »

What makes that "ha ha" sound in fall breaks and back to winter?

What is the information on 'Why' included on the MiC box set? Was it planned for an album? What year was it composed? Who plays on it?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6498 on: August 11, 2017, 01:58:22 PM »

What makes that "ha ha" sound in fall breaks and back to winter?

I know it's on here somewhere! I believe it's the pedals of the Baldwin but I'm willing to be corrected...

jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6499 on: August 11, 2017, 04:47:54 PM »

What is the information on 'Why' included on the MiC box set? Was it planned for an album? What year was it composed? Who plays on it?

All I know about "Why" is that it was composed and recorded in November of 1977 during the M.I.U. sessions. No vocals were ever cut, I doubt lyrics were even written for it either. I always assumed that "Why" was a placeholder title anyways!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 257 258 259 [260] 261 262 263 264 265 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx