gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:08:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 (+ 1 Hidden) and 48 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 253 254 255 [256] 257 258 259 260 261 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399314 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #6375 on: January 22, 2017, 01:34:05 PM »

Did Dennis and the group ever sing "In The Still Of The Night" in concert?

It would seem not. They did perform other tracks from 15 Big Ones (including the other doo wop cover, "A Casual Look") beginning in early 1976 but there's no mention in Ian and Jon's book of "ITSOTN" so far. I'll carry on up to the end of 1983 just to be certain... *

And Eric's Setlist Archive was giving me grief in the pop-up department so I had to abandon my search there.

Maybe one of the experts has more to say about it...

* Nothing there either
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 04:42:44 AM by JK » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6376 on: January 23, 2017, 12:09:05 PM »

I'm relatively good on setlists, and I don't believe they ever did "In the Still of the Night" in concert.

They occasionally did "oldies", sometimes not tied to any album, such as "Come Softly To Me" in 1981/82.

I wouldn't say it's entirely impossible they did the song and it's simply not documented. But seems pretty unlikely.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6377 on: January 31, 2017, 01:48:18 PM »

Does anybody know what version of 'Shortenin Bread' Brian probably listened to so much? I'd guess that there was one version that really got him, but maybe not.

Same with 'Deep Purple'. Of all the versions of 'Deep Purple' I've heard, the Beach Boys version is so much better (to me). I feel Brian captured a magic in the song that no one else has.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6378 on: January 31, 2017, 02:29:38 PM »

Does anybody know what version of 'Shortenin Bread' Brian probably listened to so much? I'd guess that there was one version that really got him, but maybe not.

It might have been this one from late 1960 by Paul Chaplain & His Emeralds:

https://youtu.be/zo8uzeVfO30

Or possibly The Andrews Sisters' version if it was in Audree's collection.

Pure speculation, of course...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6379 on: January 31, 2017, 02:34:56 PM »

It might have been this one from late 1960 by Paul Chaplain & His Emeralds:

https://youtu.be/zo8uzeVfO30

Or possibly The Andrews Sisters' version if it was in Audree's collection.

Pure speculation, of course...

The Andrews Sisters seems more likely for some reason.

This version is quite something:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v5rsEa9vUI

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6380 on: February 01, 2017, 03:35:02 AM »

This version is quite something:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v5rsEa9vUI

LOL

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6381 on: February 01, 2017, 09:09:32 AM »

Oh yeah...and that voice heard from 1:42-1:47 sounds an awful lot like Brian's "Pied Piper".... Cool Guy
Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6382 on: February 01, 2017, 01:05:27 PM »

Hello... I recently made an account here just because I had a few insignificant questions that I couldn't find the answers to. (Or maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.) Have been lurking for a few months.

I won't ask everything at once, but here are a couple to begin with...

1. Where was this video for "Long Promised Road" filmed? I feel like I should recognize the city, but I don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVoDULF4sAM

2. on the subject of "Long Promised Road" (as it's one of my favorite Beach Boys songs), in the second verse, what's the second-to-last line? I keep seeing it written as "So real, the pain growing in my soul," but I can't make my ears hear that for some reason. Is it just the way it's sung? I hear it more like "So real, the pain of growing in soul" or something.

3. Is there more footage available of the event at the White House shown at 9:31 in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSeS622wdQ8

That's all for now... thanks in advance!

Late at night, I think about the love of this whole world...
Da Doo Ron Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6383 on: February 05, 2017, 01:16:31 PM »

What's the story behind the piano intro on Why Do Fools Fall In Love? I listened to a version of the song today with it and I've never heard that intro before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxd0gqP5Phg
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6384 on: February 05, 2017, 01:31:38 PM »

Brian was using Spanish during the recording of Pet Sounds for some reason... during the tracking of one song, I can't remember which, he calls for 'Take Eight... Ocho... Eight'. Didn't he learn some at school or something?

What do you make of this?

https://youtu.be/20ucAMr6ka0

pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6385 on: February 13, 2017, 11:55:43 PM »

I just bought a pair of Koss Pro-4AA headphones, after seeing them on FX's new show Legion, being worn by Aubrey Plaza's character.

I've been testing them out, and decided to listen to Pet Sounds in stereo.

The amount of chills and goosebumps WIBN gave me was amazing.

God Only Knows is spiritual.

Stack-O-Vocals brings more chills, specifically on WIBN, Don't Talk, I'm Waiting for the Day and GOK.

Good Vibratons (Master Take with Partial Vocal) is better than ever.

These are the best headphones I have ever purchased.

Thank you to the Beach Boys for making amazing music.

leetwall97
« Reply #6386 on: February 16, 2017, 09:52:33 AM »

Does anyone know how to contact Adwolf16??
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6387 on: February 16, 2017, 04:08:28 PM »

Did The BBs ever interact with/meet with Boy George?

I'd tend to assume that through the 1985 album/Steve Levine connection, there'd have at least been some sort of meeting (particularly since they used his song Passing Friend), but I haven't heard of them ever actually meeting in person.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6388 on: February 17, 2017, 12:12:27 AM »

Hello... I recently made an account here just because I had a few insignificant questions that I couldn't find the answers to. (Or maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.) Have been lurking for a few months.

I won't ask everything at once, but here are a couple to begin with...

1. Where was this video for "Long Promised Road" filmed? I feel like I should recognize the city, but I don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVoDULF4sAM

2. on the subject of "Long Promised Road" (as it's one of my favorite Beach Boys songs), in the second verse, what's the second-to-last line? I keep seeing it written as "So real, the pain growing in my soul," but I can't make my ears hear that for some reason. Is it just the way it's sung? I hear it more like "So real, the pain of growing in soul" or something.

3. Is there more footage available of the event at the White House shown at 9:31 in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSeS622wdQ8

That's all for now... thanks in advance!

Pretty sure it's Prague 1968

https://goo.gl/images/BuPM45
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6389 on: March 06, 2017, 02:48:16 AM »

Hey! does anyone knows what and where can i find the original photography in the best quality possible of what served for this famous image?

etc

or is that like, just a draw that has been used ever since? if so i'd still like to see the original, or where this visual first appeared
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 02:55:56 AM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6390 on: March 08, 2017, 12:11:44 AM »

I've read on the Steve Hoffman forums (and the r/vinyl sub-reddit forum) that for Record Store Day 2017, this will be released:

Dennis Wilson - Bambu (The Caribou Sessions) [2LP] (150 Gram Translucent Green with Black Smoke Effect Vinyl, gatefold, limited to 3000, indie-retail exclusive)

The info came from the EU list, and their price (44,50€) comes out to around $47 USD.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6391 on: March 08, 2017, 02:38:51 AM »

Hey! does anyone knows what and where can i find the original photography in the best quality possible of what served for this famous image?
etc

or is that like, just a draw that has been used ever since? if so i'd still like to see the original, or where this visual first appeared

I know the quality sucks but that's the best I have.  It might have come from the A&E biography of Brian, which uses a lot of pictures/footage that haven't been used elsewhere.
maggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6392 on: March 08, 2017, 04:40:28 AM »

What's the story behind the piano intro on Why Do Fools Fall In Love? I listened to a version of the song today with it and I've never heard that intro before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxd0gqP5Phg

Sorry for the delayed reply. Supposedly it was found on the session tape for the Shut Down Vol 2 album, which was located in about 2009. This tape allowed them to remix "Fools" as well as "Don't Worry Baby." Both remixes came out on the Summer Love Songs compilation.

Everyone seems to agree that the piano intro was intended for "Fools," but I'm not so sure. It's in a different key than the song proper, there's a hard edit between it and Mike's "doo-bop" vocal intro, and it appears to be based on Carole King's "Take Good Care of My Baby." I've often wondered whether it was an unrelated piece or a sketch for a "Take Good Care" cover.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 04:42:00 AM by maggie » Logged
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6393 on: March 08, 2017, 06:38:53 AM »

Actually it's slated on the original Session Tape for the Tracking Session of Why Do Fools Fall In Love as: Why Do Fools Fall In Love Intro by Chuck Britz. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0m8pWw9XXg    This is from the official 2014 Keeping an Eye on Summer Sessions Comp that was released back in 2014 by Capitol. It featured Session highlights for Fun,Fun,Fun, Don't Worry Baby, The Warmth of The Sun, I Get Around, All Summer Long, Dance,Dance,Dance as well as their Cover of Why Do Fools Fall In Love.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 06:41:21 AM by branaa09 » Logged
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #6394 on: March 08, 2017, 07:14:01 AM »

Hey guys, there's a part of the Smile Sessions where Brian maps out a bass vocal and does a real low note - like so low (for the era) that it's almost debatable whether it was him (I think Mike was there with him? I was 80% sure it was Brian) Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I think it may have been a version of Wonderful, or perhaps a Love to Say Dada session. Bonus points if you can name the note  Grin

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6395 on: March 08, 2017, 08:47:20 AM »

Hey guys, there's a part of the Smile Sessions where Brian maps out a bass vocal and does a real low note - like so low (for the era) that it's almost debatable whether it was him (I think Mike was there with him? I was 80% sure it was Brian) Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I think it may have been a version of Wonderful, or perhaps a Love to Say Dada session. Bonus points if you can name the note  Grin

My instinct is to say it was for the How I Love My Girl sessions.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6396 on: March 08, 2017, 09:08:09 AM »

My instinct is to say it was for the How I Love My Girl sessions.

Or the 'Rock With Me Henry' version of Wonderful? I remember in the Vocal Range thread it was stated that Brian was attempting to hit an Ab1.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6397 on: March 09, 2017, 02:17:41 PM »

I think its the "henry" version of wonderful....

Its so great to listen to BW do his work even if the album didn't come out...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6398 on: March 09, 2017, 02:43:56 PM »

I'd tend to assume that through the 1985 album/Steve Levine connection, there'd have at least been some sort of meeting (particularly since they used his song Passing Friend), but I haven't heard of them ever actually meeting in person.

Boy George co-wrote Passing Friend
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6399 on: March 09, 2017, 02:44:54 PM »

Boy George co-wrote Passing Friend

Right, which is why I'm curious if they ever met in person, or if Levine simply took a demo to The Boys to have them record, without there having been any Boy/Boys in-person meeting.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 253 254 255 [256] 257 258 259 260 261 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx