gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:06:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 238 239 240 [241] 242 243 244 245 246 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1406323 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #6000 on: December 18, 2015, 09:59:48 PM »

Probably most of us have seen photos from this shoot, which looks like to be from 1966. Two questions:

1. Where's Al? (obviously it's not the first time Al missed a photo shoot)

2. More interestingly, who is the sixth guy?

I'm sure there is alternate picture with Al touching Brian's bum. His face shows. Could it be this new pic is photoshop? Though it could be Al. He wore hats too, y'know. Just because Vosse or other guys wore it, doesn't mean that Al couldn't. He might like the hat & buy exactly the same one, big deal. I know that people get upset when they see smb. with the same thing on but it's not his problem. It's okay to copy style.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #6001 on: December 21, 2015, 09:43:00 PM »

Maybe a bit early to post but for those with access to the AXS network, on Sunday Dec 27 at 1:00 pm US Central time, there will be a rebroadcast of the Musicares show honoring Brian

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #6002 on: December 29, 2015, 03:22:14 AM »

In "Little Saint Nick",  the background chant of the title has these wonderful slurs (or smears) in it.

Is this a Brianism, or was it influenced by someone, say the Freshmen or the Hi-Los? I can't find anything of theirs to suggest this, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

Any ideas, anyone?

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6003 on: January 03, 2016, 02:41:44 AM »

I have a second (belated) seasonal question, this time about "The Man With All The Toys". I swear I've heard another song with those background vocal accents on the second beat of the bar (they begin here at 0:30). Does this ring a bell with anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIRP4Xvu_bs

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6004 on: January 03, 2016, 07:09:56 AM »

I have a second (belated) seasonal question, this time about "The Man With All The Toys". I swear I've heard another song with those background vocal accents on the second beat of the bar (they begin here at 0:30). Does this ring a bell with anyone?

The ending of "Deep Purple" by Nino Tempo and April Stevens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkVqCS64joo

Lee
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 07:12:37 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6005 on: January 03, 2016, 07:33:26 AM »

Lee

Yes! Thanks a lot, Lee. And NT & AS recorded and released it a year earlier, so it must have influenced "Toys". (It was all over the airwaves.) I'll sleep easier tonight. :=)

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6006 on: January 06, 2016, 03:52:58 AM »

Lee

Yes! Thanks a lot, Lee. And NT & AS recorded and released it a year earlier, so it must have influenced "Toys". (It was all over the airwaves.) I'll sleep easier tonight. :=)

While looking for something else entirely I happened across another song with the same accents, "Five O'Clock World" by The Vogues from 1965:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXKRwqBmC4A

Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #6007 on: January 06, 2016, 06:57:58 AM »

Anyone else think the end of "Had To Phone Ya" would make a great ringtone?

Please delete my account
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6008 on: January 06, 2016, 09:53:19 PM »

Anyone else think the end of "Had To Phone Ya" would make a great ringtone?

Many years ago I used the "C'mon, c'mon and answer the phone…" tag as my answer phone message.

“We live in divisive times.”
Chownow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6009 on: January 07, 2016, 09:22:53 PM »

Hi - I just registered to ask a question that probably doesn't deserve it's own thread, so this must be the
 place  for it.

I bought pet sounds after seeing love & mercy,  and have been listening to it for a couple of weeks now.
First, it's amazing, and nothing like what I would have imagined. Second, it strikes me as a funny album, as in humorous. Something about the music, pauses and vocals comes across like there's a clever sense of humor behind it. Are there any articles or interviews addressing  humor in "pet sounds"? I can't really pin down why it's funny, so Id like to hear other perspectives if they're out there. 
Google wasn't helpful.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6010 on: January 07, 2016, 10:25:13 PM »

Hi - I just registered to ask a question that probably doesn't deserve it's own thread, so this must be the
 place  for it.

I bought pet sounds after seeing love & mercy,  and have been listening to it for a couple of weeks now.
First, it's amazing, and nothing like what I would have imagined. Second, it strikes me as a funny album, as in humorous. Something about the music, pauses and vocals comes across like there's a clever sense of humor behind it. Are there any articles or interviews addressing  humor in "pet sounds"? I can't really pin down why it's funny, so Id like to hear other perspectives if they're out there.  
Google wasn't helpful.

Welcome to the board! Glad to hear Love and Mercy is exposing people to some great music.

Brian has used humor a lot in his music. When I first listened to Pet Sounds, I also noticed some of what you're talking about. For example, I thought the "ba-ba-ba-ba-ba" vocal part in God Only Knows sounded really goofy, as did the "dit-dit-dit-ditditditdit" vocal part in I'm Waiting For the Day. The sound effects at the end of the album are a little out of left field too.

I don't know if you about Smile, which was the abandoned follow-up to Pet Sounds, but that album was even more focused on humor than Pet Sounds was. You might want to check that out.

http://www.earcandymag.com/humorsmileysmile.htm

This is an article about the humor in Smiley Smile, which was an offshoot of the Smile album that was released as the official follow-up to Pet Sounds after the Smile sessions more or less fell apart. It is a very goofy album, but one that has a cult following here, given this board's name.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Chownow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6011 on: January 08, 2016, 05:16:47 PM »

place  for it.

I bought pet sounds after seeing love & mercy,  and have been listening to it for a couple of weeks now.
First, it's amazing, and nothing like what I would have imagined. Second, it strikes me as a funny album, as in humorous. Something about the music, pauses and vocals comes across like there's a clever sense of humor behind it. Are there any articles or interviews addressing  humor in "pet sounds"? I can't really pin down why it's funny, so Id like to hear other perspectives if they're out there.  
Google wasn't helpful.

Welcome to the board! Glad to hear Love and Mercy is exposing people to some great music.

Brian has used humor a lot in his music. When I first listened to Pet Sounds, I also noticed some of what you're talking about. For example, I thought the "ba-ba-ba-ba-ba" vocal part in God Only Knows sounded really goofy, as did the "dit-dit-dit-ditditditdit" vocal part in I'm Waiting For the Day. The sound effects at the end of the album are a little out of left field too.

I don't know if you about Smile, which was the abandoned follow-up to Pet Sounds, but that album was even more focused on humor than Pet Sounds was. You might want to check that out.

This is an article about the humor in Smiley Smile, which was an offshoot of the Smile album that was released as the official follow-up to Pet Sounds after the Smile sessions more or less fell apart. It is a very goofy album, but one that has a cult following here, given this board's name.

Thank you! I checked out the earcandy link  you posted and the stuff about  Brian and spiritual aspects of humor were exactly what I was looking for. The rest of that article is very dark, though. I might skip Smiley Smile.

For me the funnier parts of "Pet Sounds" is the repeated use of "ah doo bi doo bi doo" in a few of the songs. Sometimes jaunty, then kind of sad. Also the meandering nature of "Let's go away for a while" and how it ends with what sounds like a conversation between the snare drum and kettle drum, and the kettle drum sounds like it's trying to get the last word in. Just funny stuff.

I'm definitely listening to"Smile" next!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6012 on: January 08, 2016, 05:24:00 PM »

place  for it.

Google wasn't helpful.

Thank you! I checked out the earcandy link  you posted and the stuff about  Brian and spiritual aspects of humor were exactly what I was looking for. The rest of that article is very dark, though. I might skip Smiley Smile.

For me the funnier parts of "Pet Sounds" is the repeated use of "ah doo bi doo bi doo" in a few of the songs. Sometimes jaunty, then kind of sad. Also the meandering nature of "Let's go away for a while" and how it ends with what sounds like a conversation between the snare drum and kettle drum, and the kettle drum sounds like it's trying to get the last word in. Just funny stuff.

I'm definitely listening to"Smile" next!
love the doo bi doo bi toward the end of "I Know There's an Answer." Brian Wilson was definitely whimsical.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6013 on: January 08, 2016, 11:39:50 PM »

Just got around to watching the Dec. 14 episode of Supergirl (CBS) on my DVR and heard Supergirl's boss, Cat Grant, tell Supergirl, "If I wanted to have sex with a Beach Boy I'd still be sleeping with John Stamos."

As far as the American public is concerned (as well as the citizens of other countries where Supergirl is shown), this is, in fact, confirmation to all that John Stamos is officially a Beach Boy.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6014 on: January 09, 2016, 07:55:33 PM »

place  for it.

I bought pet sounds after seeing love & mercy,  and have been listening to it for a couple of weeks now.
First, it's amazing, and nothing like what I would have imagined. Second, it strikes me as a funny album, as in humorous. Something about the music, pauses and vocals comes across like there's a clever sense of humor behind it. Are there any articles or interviews addressing  humor in "pet sounds"? I can't really pin down why it's funny, so Id like to hear other perspectives if they're out there. 
Google wasn't helpful.
Hi Chownow, here is an earlier thread from this board with an interesting discussion of Brian Wilson's humor during that era. Someone who knows Brian Wilson says that he intentionally uses humor and shifts of mood to reach the listener at a different level: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,20138.0.html
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6015 on: January 09, 2016, 08:44:06 PM »

Just got around to watching the Dec. 14 episode of Supergirl (CBS) on my DVR and heard Supergirl's boss, Cat Grant, tell Supergirl, "If I wanted to have sex with a Beach Boy I'd still be sleeping with John Stamos."

As far as the American public is concerned (as well as the citizens of other countries where Supergirl is shown), this is, in fact, confirmation to all that John Stamos is officially a Beach Boy.

What prompted him talking about having sex with a Beach Boy?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #6016 on: January 09, 2016, 09:57:41 PM »

"him"? Shocked  Where can I watch this show, sounding on par with  "An American Family"

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6017 on: January 09, 2016, 11:38:55 PM »

In the Supergirl series, Supergirl's boss, Cat Grant, is a woman. Sorry, but I don't recall what led up to the comment.
Sandy Baby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6018 on: January 10, 2016, 07:13:27 AM »

Episode "Hostile Takeover":    http://www.cbs.com/shows/supergirl/video/
YouTube:    http://youtu.be/3QZYVAK1s_c

Listen, listen, listen...
SteveMC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6019 on: January 10, 2016, 08:51:01 AM »

Are there any photos of Carl's full guitar collection?
Did he own any Strats?

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys said of Reynolds: "[He's] just about a god to me. His work is the greatest, and the Freshmen's execution is too much."
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6020 on: January 10, 2016, 05:54:51 PM »

Did Mike Eder ever write/publish his BB book?
I just looked at the Mike Eder thread in honored guests and saw no indication.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 01:49:21 PM by Emily » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6021 on: January 11, 2016, 01:33:25 PM »

Can anyone recommend an online tool to download MySpace videos? I use KeepVid and it doesn't want to.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6022 on: January 11, 2016, 05:49:31 PM »

I didn't know where to put this question, so I'll try here...

I was just listening to the radio, and they had a "flashback" segment. Question: What song was No. 1 on the Billboard Singles Chart, 40 years ago, on January 11, 1976? 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6023 on: January 11, 2016, 05:56:38 PM »

I was just listening to the radio, and they had a "flashback" segment. Question: What song was No. 1 on the Billboard Singles Chart, 40 years ago, on January 11, 1976? 
I don't see a Jan 11, but a Jan 10 and Jan 17:

January 10  Convoy  C.W. McCall 
January 17  I Write The Songs  Barry Manilow 

http://www.billboard.com/archive/charts/1976/hot-100
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6024 on: January 11, 2016, 06:03:04 PM »

I don't see a Jan 11, but a Jan 10 and Jan 17:

January 10  Convoy  C.W. McCall 
January 17  I Write The Songs  Barry Manilow 

http://www.billboard.com/archive/charts/1976/hot-100

Yes, it was the Bruce Johnston-penned, Grammy Award-winning, "I Write The Songs". I had forgotten how close that song was to the 15 Big Ones/"Brian's Back" campaign.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 238 239 240 [241] 242 243 244 245 246 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx