gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:21:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Joshilyn Hoisington, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway (+ 1 Hidden) and 56 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 235 236 237 [238] 239 240 241 242 243 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399631 times)
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5925 on: November 12, 2015, 04:26:10 PM »

Thanks Emily, it's certainly a start.  I'm beginning to think you might be able to count Mike Love's fans on the fingers and toes of a triple amputee.  

This is because I delved into the Mike Love fan page - which was different than the one I saw a year or so ago - and found the forum.

You will have more luck finding his fans if you go to his Facebook page.  It's the simple case of they flock to where it's updated the most, and his FB page is the most updated of all the BBs (Usually with either photos of his most recent concert, or a TBT).  Every post has replies about how great such and such show was, or ravings about how talented he is.

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5926 on: November 12, 2015, 06:59:53 PM »

Thank you, white unicorn.   Smiley
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #5927 on: November 12, 2015, 07:21:47 PM »

Good luck trying to find THAT jacket...  Lucky there was no flea epidemic.

I have a hugely insignificant question, but it has well and truly bugged me for ages, and although I've touched in on it before, but I didn't really feel like I got a satisfying answer.  (When you are left still wondering, it can't be a satisfying answer.)

This is a genuine set of questions.

1. Does Mike Love have fans?  Everywhere you look on this internet, it's the same thing.  It seems like nobody in the world loves the Lovester. 

2.  What kind of person is a Mike Love fan?  (If such a species exists.)

3.  When I went to the Mike Love fan page, - and was blasted out of my seat by high volume  unsolicited music - it appeared that this site was directed out to a large number of fans.  I was driven out by his solo work starting up along with a hidden stop button,  so I did not delve far enough in to see if he has his own community. 

4. Does he?

5.  If he does, what the heck do they talk about?

Thanks in advance.  I'll just wait outside this cave for a reply.  Afro  (I really love these emoticons.)

Careful Bella, ML is like a musical mafia Don. He'll put one of his board hitmen on you (Andy/ Cam/...). Watch  your back, and in box.  LOL

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5928 on: November 12, 2015, 11:24:52 PM »

Thanks kitty, I worked out I'd dug myself a hole. 

Now I have a hole and a cave, and I think I'll just disappear into one of them for a while.

Back to that furry jacket and our regular programme...
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #5929 on: November 12, 2015, 11:54:19 PM »

Well as a Beach Boys fan that makes me a fan of all the group including Mike.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5930 on: November 13, 2015, 09:51:23 AM »

Well as a Beach Boys fan that makes me a fan of all the group including Mike.

I'm in this segment. Although, my favorite is Carl. They all are/were supremely talented and have their flaws to varying degrees. If Mike & Bruce or Brian & Al are within a 2-3 hour drive, I'm doing my best to go...it's not going to last much longer.
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #5931 on: November 13, 2015, 09:56:02 AM »

In That Same Song, who are singing the "Same song" that Brian responds "Oh yeah" to (starts at 1:48). Al, Carl and Brian?

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5932 on: November 13, 2015, 11:11:45 AM »

Thank you, white unicorn.   Smiley

Gryphon!

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5933 on: November 13, 2015, 01:16:28 PM »

Thanks kitty, I worked out I'd dug myself a hole.  

Now I have a hole and a cave, and I think I'll just disappear into one of them for a while.

Back to that furry jacket and our regular programme...
-kay - back to that furry jacket.
I'm quite convinced that Brian and Mick Jagger were wearing the same parka in 1964. Not the exact same one, of course, but the same design/brand.
You've seen Brian's; Mick's can be seen in the top left of the photos I posted before and here:

Same contrast of color and fluff vs. sleek on hood vs. body; same length; same black toggles 3 or so inches in from the zipper; same spotted body...
so, if anyone here has Mick's number, maybe a quick txt will resolve the question of who the designer is.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 01:32:17 PM by Emily » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5934 on: November 15, 2015, 06:59:04 AM »

Has anyone found a way to get just the audio from the L&M/soundtrack (not included on the actual soundtrack):  the tracks Headphones, Deep End, and Baby No Morph?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5935 on: November 15, 2015, 03:50:52 PM »

Okay, I return with my findings...

It appears that there are Mike Love fans out there, and let me clarify that I meant specifically Mike Love fans, not Brian Wilson and Beach Boys fans. 

They exist, and they very quietly support him, because to stick your neck out as a ML fan (specifically, that is, if I can just clarify that one more time)  is to risk getting it brutally torn off and shoved somewhere reasonably difficult to extract, unless you have a history of work experience in certain sectors of the airport. 

Personally, I do not dislike the guy, and I feel that without him the magic would not have occurred.  His lead is awesome, and he is a huge part of my favourite sound in the world, those boys getting together.

Forgive me if any Mike bashing was insinuated. 

Oh yeah, that long dead forum was crap anyway, so I don't regret taking the piss out of that.  Smiley

Back in the cave....
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5936 on: November 17, 2015, 10:27:08 AM »

Can anyone point me to a good resource for contemporary reviews of BB albums in the 60s and 70s? Are all that are available in the thread with the magazine scans?
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5937 on: November 17, 2015, 01:22:08 PM »

Can anyone point me to a good resource for contemporary reviews of BB albums in the 60s and 70s? Are all that are available in the thread with the magazine scans?

Rolling Stone has all of theirs archived on their website. Just search the album name and it should pop up.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5938 on: November 17, 2015, 01:31:02 PM »

Rolling Stone has all of theirs archived on their website. Just search the album name and it should pop up.
Thanks! And it's nice to see an Al avatar for once!
KDS
« Reply #5939 on: November 17, 2015, 01:33:14 PM »

It's sad that I quickly recognized that Al avatar as a screen shot from the Full House episode Beach Boy Bingo. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5940 on: November 17, 2015, 01:35:49 PM »

It's sad that I quickly recognized that Al avatar as a screen shot from the Full House episode Beach Boy Bingo. 
haha! Well, that's probably age-related.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #5941 on: November 17, 2015, 01:53:18 PM »

In That Same Song, who are singing the "Same song" that Brian responds "Oh yeah" to (starts at 1:48). Al, Carl and Brian?

Odd that no one has got round to answering this----or at least having a stab at it. All I can discover is that Marilyn Wilson figures prominently at the end. [Source

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5942 on: November 17, 2015, 03:43:15 PM »

I had completely forgotten that myself! I was watching that clip months ago and paused right when Al made that face.  LOL

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
KDS
« Reply #5943 on: November 18, 2015, 05:42:38 AM »

You are correct, Emily.  I was born in 1980, so I was a big Full House fan.  That episode was the first time I ever saw what The Beach Boys looked like. 

Watching that episode in 2015 (it pops up quite a bit on TV Land), one can't help but laugh.  Especially Al's great line when he finds out DJ's not going to the concert, "Bon Jovi in town?" 

Or Brian when little Michelle said "Ko Ko Mo" - "A REQUEST!!!!!"

Or The Beach Boys Huddle. 

So many laughs.  So many memories. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5944 on: November 18, 2015, 07:09:37 AM »

You are correct, Emily.  I was born in 1980, so I was a big Full House fan.  That episode was the first time I ever saw what The Beach Boys looked like. 

Watching that episode in 2015 (it pops up quite a bit on TV Land), one can't help but laugh.  Especially Al's great line when he finds out DJ's not going to the concert, "Bon Jovi in town?" 

I was a sneering teenager so never saw it. Perhaps I'll look for those episodes online.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5945 on: November 18, 2015, 07:11:31 AM »

I guess Al had a premonition 24 years early about Bon Jovi one day cowriting a BB song (and a fantastic one, at that). That Jardine is a regular Nostradamus.
KDS
« Reply #5946 on: November 18, 2015, 07:15:20 AM »

I guess Al had a premonition 24 years early about Bon Jovi one day cowriting a BB song (and a fantastic one, at that). That Jardine is a regular Nostradamus.

I keep forgetting JBJ co-wrote Summer's Gone.  It's especially impressive considering the fact that Bon Jovi hasn't released anything I've liked since 2000.   (Yes, I'm a fan of the 80s / early 90s stuff). 
wild neon sins
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5947 on: November 21, 2015, 05:17:37 PM »

While wandering around the internet looking for random crumbs about the Beach Boys, I came across Dale Reed, who says he built Dennis' Cobra and he had to go to Brian for the money. No more info in this thread, but he was apparently not professionally building cars at that time, so maybe he knew the Wilsons?
Has anyone met him, talked to him?
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/3332873/posts
He chimes in at post 18.

Claims he's the guy in the striped top facing the camera in the photo here
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/texas-cobra-club/119502-dennis-wilson-beach-boys-track-may-1966-a.html

He also says :
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/3332873/posts?q=1&;page=51#56

It was a 289 and we made a 429 for him.
We did it a year before ford came out with the 429 a friend of ours, Doan Spenser, was thick with Ford and he got a pair of blank 429 castings and machined them.

He also changed the spark plug angle 4 degrees which gave us 80 more HP.

He never got beat at the drags by a car in his class.

When he got on drugs he traded it in to Hollywood Sports Car for a motor cycle before he went and killed himself with an overdose.

I have no idea what happened to it from there except I do know that Shelby rented it for $1,000/day for 2 weeks to try and find out how we were blowing him off so bad.

57 posted on 05/09/2015, 03:05:11 by dalereed

ermm, wait, what?

"And suddenly I find myself, listening to a man I've never known before,
Telling me about the sea..."

Looking for contributions for a Dennis fanzine
https://denniswilsonzine.tumblr.com
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5948 on: November 22, 2015, 02:25:00 PM »

While wandering around the internet looking for random crumbs about the Beach Boys, I came across Dale Reed, who says he built Dennis' Cobra and he had to go to Brian for the money. No more info in this thread, but he was apparently not professionally building cars at that time, so maybe he knew the Wilsons?
Has anyone met him, talked to him?
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/3332873/posts
He chimes in at post 18.

Claims he's the guy in the striped top facing the camera in the photo here
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/texas-cobra-club/119502-dennis-wilson-beach-boys-track-may-1966-a.html

He also says :
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/3332873/posts?q=1&;page=51#56

It was a 289 and we made a 429 for him.
We did it a year before ford came out with the 429 a friend of ours, Doan Spenser, was thick with Ford and he got a pair of blank 429 castings and machined them.

He also changed the spark plug angle 4 degrees which gave us 80 more HP.

He never got beat at the drags by a car in his class.

When he got on drugs he traded it in to Hollywood Sports Car for a motor cycle before he went and killed himself with an overdose.

I have no idea what happened to it from there except I do know that Shelby rented it for $1,000/day for 2 weeks to try and find out how we were blowing him off so bad.

57 posted on 05/09/2015, 03:05:11 by dalereed

ermm, wait, what?

To be honest, that's probably the sanest conspiracy theory on there  LOL
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5949 on: November 22, 2015, 03:03:27 PM »

EDIT: Forgot to Quote
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 07:38:51 AM by Vegetable Man » Logged

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 235 236 237 [238] 239 240 241 242 243 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx