gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:39:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Aomdiddlywalla and 55 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 229 230 231 [232] 233 234 235 236 237 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399723 times)
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5775 on: September 03, 2015, 02:46:52 AM »

Isn't it Wally Heider?  That footage is from Summer 1967 ca. the "Leid In Hawaii" concert and subsequent "rehearsals" at Heider's studio.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5776 on: September 03, 2015, 06:09:26 AM »

I tried to do a search on the board, but couldn't find the answer. Do we know who says/yells, "You're under arrest" on Heroes and Villains on The Smile Sessions? Thanks!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #5777 on: September 03, 2015, 06:13:59 AM »

I tried to do a search on the board, but couldn't find the answer. Do we know who says/yells, "You're under arrest" on Heroes and Villains on The Smile Sessions? Thanks!

I believe it's Gene Gaddy, Barbara Rovell's husband...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5778 on: September 03, 2015, 08:51:25 AM »

Strange, I just tried the link using a number of different browsers, all of which worked.

Try this:

https://youtu.be/1ITsxbE5jf4?t=16m29s
Thanks for reposting! That is the footage I was speaking of. Right about 16:45, that's the earliest I noticed his speaking out of the side of his mouth

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Pet Sounder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5779 on: September 03, 2015, 09:28:17 AM »

I have an original pressing of Pet Sounds in near mint condition that I was able to get autographed during the 50th Anniversary Tour (thanks to a kind VIP host who took it backstage for me - I didn't get to see it being signed).  Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce and David signed it.  Since David didn't contribute the album, do you think that lowers the worth?  BTW, it was interesting where Brian signed.  The other guys all congregated on and around the white goat, but Brian signed in the green section at the top, to the right of the track listing.  He probably didn't mean this by signing there, but to me it signified that, in many ways, this was "his" album.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5780 on: September 03, 2015, 11:29:17 AM »

I have an original pressing of Pet Sounds in near mint condition that I was able to get autographed during the 50th Anniversary Tour (thanks to a kind VIP host who took it backstage for me - I didn't get to see it being signed).  Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce and David signed it.  Since David didn't contribute the album, do you think that lowers the worth?  BTW, it was interesting where Brian signed.  The other guys all congregated on and around the white goat, but Brian signed in the green section at the top, to the right of the track listing.  He probably didn't mean this by signing there, but to me it signified that, in many ways, this was "his" album.

Very cool piece. There have been a few discussions in recent memory in regard to members such as Bruce, David and Blondie signing LPs and other memorabilia that they were not personally associated with. It really comes down to personal preference. In this situation, your LP probably wasn't getting signed without the help of the VIP host and it's a great keepsake from the experience. In my personal opinion, I think it detracts from the value, but it might not bother other potential buyers. Again, it's personal preference and I'm sure you could still get some serious cash for it.

During Jeffrey Foskett's time with Brian Wilson, there were accusations that he would secretarial/forge his signature when items were brought backstage, on the bus, etc. Without a photo of your LP, it's impossible to say if Brian or Jeff signed it (and it would still come down to opinions, as no one witnessed the signing). There is a really interesting piece on the subject here:  http://live.autographmagazine.com/forum/topics/brian-wilson-autographs-on-the-current-be-careful

Roger Epperson is a highly respected autograph expert/authenticator who has worked for several of the major 3rd party authentication companies (i.e. PSA/DNA, James Spence Authentication, etc.), he also does work for several auction houses, most notably RR Auctions.

Don't take any of the above as a slight, it is an awesome piece that I would treasure. I hope this was insightful (and I hope to see you at the New Buffalo show!).
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5781 on: September 03, 2015, 12:28:50 PM »

I reckon as a souvenir of the band's 50th reunion it's priceless. Until Bgas tells us what it's worth Wink

I have a 2004 smile tour programme signed by every band member and VDP, wight he lyrics to Holidays written out by Nicky Wonder, all gained in my presence (I think that's the terminology). The publisher would class it as defaced and valueless…

“We live in divisive times.”
BrianWilsonsTent
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #5782 on: September 03, 2015, 04:45:42 PM »

The coda for Don't Go Near the Water is one of my favourite BB moments, and the song is credited to Mike and Al. Does anyone know if Brian had a hand in writing that harmony section or if it was solely Mike and Al?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5783 on: September 03, 2015, 06:24:25 PM »

I reckon as a souvenir of the band's 50th reunion it's priceless. Until Bgas tells us what it's worth Wink

I have a 2004 smile tour programme signed by every band member and VDP, wight he lyrics to Holidays written out by Nicky Wonder, all gained in my presence (I think that's the terminology). The publisher would class it as defaced and valueless…

I shy away from doing "value" and leave that to LD.
It's all in the eye of the beholder

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5784 on: September 03, 2015, 10:16:21 PM »

When was the first time Brian started talking out of the side of his mouth? Like noticeably in interviews, studio footage, etc.

I was thinking of the studio footage that takes place in the booth, I think it's used for Pet Sounds or late 60s footage on documentaries. I feel like you can see Brian talk out of the side of his mouth then. I think there's an older guy in the booth with him wearing glasses (not Murry or chuck).

In baby pictures.  He smiles lopsided in them.

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
Pet Sounder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5785 on: September 04, 2015, 06:43:11 AM »

Very cool piece. There have been a few discussions in recent memory in regard to members such as Bruce, David and Blondie signing LPs and other memorabilia that they were not personally associated with. It really comes down to personal preference. In this situation, your LP probably wasn't getting signed without the help of the VIP host and it's a great keepsake from the experience. In my personal opinion, I think it detracts from the value, but it might not bother other potential buyers. Again, it's personal preference and I'm sure you could still get some serious cash for it.

During Jeffrey Foskett's time with Brian Wilson, there were accusations that he would secretarial/forge his signature when items were brought backstage, on the bus, etc. Without a photo of your LP, it's impossible to say if Brian or Jeff signed it (and it would still come down to opinions, as no one witnessed the signing). There is a really interesting piece on the subject here:  http://live.autographmagazine.com/forum/topics/brian-wilson-autographs-on-the-current-be-careful

Roger Epperson is a highly respected autograph expert/authenticator who has worked for several of the major 3rd party authentication companies (i.e. PSA/DNA, James Spence Authentication, etc.), he also does work for several auction houses, most notably RR Auctions.

Don't take any of the above as a slight, it is an awesome piece that I would treasure. I hope this was insightful (and I hope to see you at the New Buffalo show!).

Thanks for the input!  I tried to upload a photo, but got this message:

"The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator."

It was 96KB, so I don't think it was too large.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #5786 on: September 04, 2015, 07:01:12 AM »

I have two questions.

Who says "Not for us now!" in All Summer Long?
and
Does Al play guitar on Lady Lynda?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5787 on: September 05, 2015, 02:25:01 PM »

While looking through some BB pictures online I found this one.

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/mike-rutherford-tony-banks-mike-love-nick-mason-and-bruce-news-photo/152723245

Was this the same night (Sept 24) Brian had his C50 dinner in London, thus explaining why Mike and Bruce weren't in attendance?

edit: Guess not. A shot of Al and his wife below and they were there too.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 02:29:14 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Pet Sounder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5788 on: September 05, 2015, 05:34:48 PM »

Is EastWest Studios open to the general public for tours?  If I ever visit LA I'd love to see Studio 3.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5789 on: September 05, 2015, 09:43:07 PM »

While looking through some BB pictures online I found this one.

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/mike-rutherford-tony-banks-mike-love-nick-mason-and-bruce-news-photo/152723245

Was this the same night (Sept 24) Brian had his C50 dinner in London, thus explaining why Mike and Bruce weren't in attendance?

edit: Guess not. A shot of Al and his wife below and they were there too.

That's a great pic, albeit pretty strange.  Put Bruce on bass with that lineup and they send the backing band home!  Grin
Boan Mahoni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5790 on: September 08, 2015, 11:28:31 AM »

Does anyone know where a full unedited version of the Lei'd In Hawaii Heroes And Villains is? I'm curious about Brian's raunchy stage banter.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5791 on: September 08, 2015, 11:30:35 AM »

Does anyone know where a full unedited version of the Lei'd In Hawaii Heroes And Villains is? I'm curious about Brian's raunchy stage banter.

Call Brian, ask him to open the Vault

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5792 on: September 08, 2015, 03:12:58 PM »

Southern California lyric clarification:

Different sources provide these lyrics for the end of the 2nd verse.

In Southern California
I heard the voice of the line

or

In Southern California
I heard the voice of my mind

However, in my ear it sounds more like
"In Southern California
I heard the voice of my ma"

thus lending to my idea that since he harkens back to the days of his dream and his brothers, that when he goes back and hears his dream he heard the voice of his mother, or ma, a very tender reference to Audree and what she meant to him, Carl and Dennis. I like this interpretation, because it makes the song less pretentious and more emotionally bare.

Anyone can clarify this one for sure?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5793 on: September 09, 2015, 03:24:40 AM »

It's "my mind". Rhymes with "time" in the previous couplet. Sounds like "ma" because now and then Brian clips his words, e.g. "It rolls off my tongue like a magical phra"
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 03:27:17 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5794 on: September 09, 2015, 03:32:57 AM »

I believe it's Gene Gaddy, Barbara Rovell's husband...

Indeed it is, but he wasn't her husband at the time. Vital distinction !

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5795 on: September 15, 2015, 02:14:30 PM »

I didn't think it warranted a new thread but I did a small radio 'piece' today for a station in the UK called Magic FM. The show will air on Sunday after 6pm GMT and the Beach Boys are the presenter's artist of the week. I got contacted by the production company behind the show and asked if I wanted to say a few things about why I liked them - how can you possibly explain it?! - and I got to choose a song. 

I really wanted to choose Time To Get Alone but they said it had to be a hit so I chose what I think will encourage non BB fans to listen!

I think it will only be on for about 10 seconds but it might be worth a listen to see what songs they play and if there's anything else that they might add in. I'm just going to be cringing throughout though!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5796 on: September 15, 2015, 02:49:36 PM »

I didn't think it warranted a new thread but I did a small radio 'piece' today for a station in the UK called Magic FM. The show will air on Sunday after 6pm GMT and the Beach Boys are the presenter's artist of the week. I got contacted by the production company behind the show and asked if I wanted to say a few things about why I liked them - how can you possibly explain it?! - and I got to choose a song. 

I really wanted to choose Time To Get Alone but they said it had to be a hit so I chose what I think will encourage non BB fans to listen!

I think it will only be on for about 10 seconds but it might be worth a listen to see what songs they play and if there's anything else that they might add in. I'm just going to be cringing throughout though!

Will it be available for listening on-line?

CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5797 on: September 16, 2015, 12:14:18 AM »

Yes, you should be able to - http://www.magic.co.uk/faqs/listening-to-magic/

I don't know how much of the show will be on the Beach Boys, just that they will be covered!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5798 on: September 16, 2015, 12:43:14 AM »

Here's a question that I've often thought about. In the late 1970's and early 1980's, did the average concert going public know that something was deeply wrong with Brian and Dennis? I mean, was it an "open secret"? 

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #5799 on: September 16, 2015, 08:24:13 AM »

It's my belief that "How She Boogalooed It" is the fastest complete BB studio-recorded track. Or are there other contenders?

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 229 230 231 [232] 233 234 235 236 237 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx