gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:27:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Aomdiddlywalla and 58 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 228 229 230 [231] 232 233 234 235 236 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399688 times)
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #5750 on: August 27, 2015, 02:25:40 AM »

I just listened to the early 80's Beach Boys medley. This was huge back in the day and it was fun to revisit, but what is the story with the beginning of Barbara Ann? It sounds so out of place.

I suspect it was to match the key of the preceding song "Surfin' Safari" to make a less jarring transition between the two songs.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5751 on: August 27, 2015, 02:40:02 AM »

Think I remember reading an Al interview where he had the "all this is that" part first and then Carl (to waves and I) and Mike (Mother Devine's precious kiss) then added their parts. I love this song too and it's a great Al, Carl and Mike collaboration. Great, great song!

I thought it was "Two ways have I, both traveled by" -- which is perhaps a nod to Robert Frost's poem "The Road Not Taken."

Lee

Ha, so did I (had my post that way orig and  changed it). But I checked the lyrics on three sites and they all had "to waves". I think you are right though. Makes sense.

In the officially sanctioned 1978 Byron Preiss book, there's a quote from Alan stating that the original version of the song was based on the Frost poem. Annoyingly, as with all the quotes in said tome, it's entirely undated.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5752 on: August 27, 2015, 02:42:33 AM »

Irrellivant question!

In that recently posted radio interview, Dennis said that he did not like recording in Holland and it was a bummer. anyone know the specifics to why he didnt dig the experience?

That he based himself in the Canary Islands and flew in for sessions is surely informative.

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5753 on: August 27, 2015, 07:59:23 AM »

I saw this UK reissue of the Today album while browsing on Discogs, who the heck is this guy standing between Mike and Al on the cover?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5754 on: August 27, 2015, 08:26:09 AM »

Bill "Daddy-O" Hesterman Sr.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 08:27:07 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5755 on: August 27, 2015, 08:33:09 AM »

Think I remember reading an Al interview where he had the "all this is that" part first and then Carl (to waves and I) and Mike (Mother Devine's precious kiss) then added their parts. I love this song too and it's a great Al, Carl and Mike collaboration. Great, great song!

I thought it was "Two ways have I, both traveled by" -- which is perhaps a nod to Robert Frost's poem "The Road Not Taken."

Lee
Exactly!
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference." Robert Frost

Frost was at the Kennedy Inauguration and on the podium with him, a first.

And post the Kennedy assassination, Frost's work became very popular in the schools, because of that JFK link.  And Frost had predicted in early 1959 that Kennedy would be President, before he had declared his candidacy.

Kennedy, in turn at the inauguration, used Frost's "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" with his "But I have promises to keep/And miles to go before I sleep."

Interesting is the inspiration for lyrics... Wink
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5756 on: August 27, 2015, 09:54:55 AM »

After looking up who that is, if he were to be on any album cover, they should have put him on the Summer Days and Summer Nights reissue cover, the album with Salt Lake City on it!  Or perhaps the MFP label just picked a random photo and didn't realize that guy wasn't a member of the band.

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5757 on: August 27, 2015, 09:58:34 AM »

After looking up who that is, if he were to be on any album cover, they should have put him on the Summer Days and Summer Nights reissue cover, the album with Salt Lake City on it!  Or perhaps the MFP label just picked a random photo and didn't realize that guy wasn't a member of the band.

He has been mis-identified as Murry in at least one BB book...
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5758 on: August 27, 2015, 10:30:26 AM »

IF you have more than $625 you can try to win Rod McKuen's personal copy of this LP( signed by Dennis, Carl, Mike, Al and Bruce)
http://entertainment.ha.com/itm/entertainment-and-music/rod-mckuen-s-beach-boys-signed-beach-boys-album-cover-mfp-5235-1970s-/a/7149-90442.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5759 on: August 27, 2015, 10:43:38 AM »

IF you have more than $625 you can try to win Rod McKuen's personal copy of this LP( signed by Dennis, Carl, Mike, Al and Bruce)
http://entertainment.ha.com/itm/entertainment-and-music/rod-mckuen-s-beach-boys-signed-beach-boys-album-cover-mfp-5235-1970s-/a/7149-90442.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

That's a pretty impressive piece. On the other hand, I have real doubts about the authenticity of these signatures:

http://entertainment.ha.com/itm/entertainment-and-music/beach-boys-signed-drum-head-in-framed-display/a/7149-90315.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5760 on: August 27, 2015, 10:58:51 AM »

Lee

Ha, so did I (had my post that way orig and  changed it). But I checked the lyrics on three sites and they all had "to waves". I think you are right though. Makes sense.

In the officially sanctioned 1978 Byron Preiss book, there's a quote from Alan stating that the original version of the song was based on the Frost poem. Annoyingly, as with all the quotes in said tome, it's entirely undated.

I thought I remembered reading that in one of the BB biographies... I used to have total recall of just about every fact in every one of those books, but I'm getting old...

Lee
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5761 on: August 27, 2015, 12:20:45 PM »

Insignificant question!!!
So I've read that the Wilsons went to Disneyland twice a year and Dennis was a big fan of Tom Sawyer's island. Are there any pics of the Boys at DL?

The BBs are pretty much the unofficial soundtrack to Disney's California Adventure and I don't know why I associate Brian with Disneyland so much!!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #5762 on: August 27, 2015, 12:25:34 PM »

Here's some info on the subject:

https://bonnevillemariner.wordpress.com/category/great-salt-lake/

And here, from my other board:

He was a DJ called Bill "Daddy-O" Hesterman who was a friend of Murry's and heavily promoted the BBs in Utah, where he was general manager of KNAK Radio in the 1950s and '60s.

Quoting from [a long removed] article, "He even toured Europe with them and wound up on one of their album covers (a European release), posing in front of his own Land Cruiser at Saltair Pavilion."

He died in 1996.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5763 on: August 27, 2015, 12:53:25 PM »

Insignificant question!!!
So I've read that the Wilsons went to Disneyland twice a year and Dennis was a big fan of Tom Sawyer's island. Are there any pics of the Boys at DL?

The BBs are pretty much the unofficial soundtrack to Disney's California Adventure and I don't know why I associate Brian with Disneyland so much!!

There's this bit in the A&E bio on Brian about Murry taking them to Disneyland and Brian enjoying the Matterhorn.  Not sure of the original source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krCDi2OA6kI&t=3m57s
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #5764 on: August 27, 2015, 01:04:52 PM »

Irrellivant question!

In that recently posted radio interview, Dennis said that he did not like recording in Holland and it was a bummer. anyone know the specifics to why he didnt dig the experience?

That he based himself in the Canary Islands and flew in for sessions is surely informative.
Is it known where in the Canary Islands he stayed?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5765 on: August 27, 2015, 01:16:41 PM »

"The BBs are pretty much the unofficial soundtrack to Disney's California Adventure"

yeah I took my daughter there in May and CALIFORNIA GIRLS or SURFIN' USA never ceased to be blaring away
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5766 on: September 02, 2015, 09:06:30 AM »

When was the first time Brian started talking out of the side of his mouth? Like noticeably in interviews, studio footage, etc.

I was thinking of the studio footage that takes place in the booth, I think it's used for Pet Sounds or late 60s footage on documentaries. I feel like you can see Brian talk out of the side of his mouth then. I think there's an older guy in the booth with him wearing glasses (not Murry or chuck).

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #5767 on: September 02, 2015, 09:11:24 AM »

"The BBs are pretty much the unofficial soundtrack to Disney's California Adventure"

yeah I took my daughter there in May and CALIFORNIA GIRLS or SURFIN' USA never ceased to be blaring away

I hope the Mouse is paying up.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5768 on: September 02, 2015, 12:17:05 PM »

When was the first time Brian started talking out of the side of his mouth? Like noticeably in interviews, studio footage, etc.

I was thinking of the studio footage that takes place in the booth, I think it's used for Pet Sounds or late 60s footage on documentaries. I feel like you can see Brian talk out of the side of his mouth then. I think there's an older guy in the booth with him wearing glasses (not Murry or chuck).

Is this the guy you mean? That's Winston Wong, the tape operator. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #5769 on: September 02, 2015, 02:49:57 PM »

You mean this footage:

https://youtu.be/7HafiugshLI?t=23m27s

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5770 on: September 02, 2015, 04:04:34 PM »

John K, I don't believe that's who I'm thinking of. The guy I was thinking of has lighter hair like grey or white and kinda shakes his head like "Brian, you're pushing the studio limits."

Metal Paint Flake, I would say yes or not but the link wouldn't work. 😁

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #5771 on: September 02, 2015, 08:11:19 PM »

Strange, I just tried the link using a number of different browsers, all of which worked.

Try this:

https://youtu.be/1ITsxbE5jf4?t=16m29s
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 08:14:17 PM by metal flake paint » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5772 on: September 02, 2015, 08:27:16 PM »

Strange, I just tried the link using a number of different browsers, all of which worked.

Try this:

https://youtu.be/1ITsxbE5jf4?t=16m29s

That one does work, where the other definitely did not. 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #5773 on: September 02, 2015, 09:49:26 PM »

Thanks for letting me know!

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5774 on: September 03, 2015, 02:30:53 AM »

Could that guy in MFP's footage be an engineer at Columbia? Chuck Granata mentions Ralph Balantin as a possible candidate for Pet Sounds post-production. I imagine one of the knowledgable folks here must know who it is...

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 228 229 230 [231] 232 233 234 235 236 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx