gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680743 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 08:22:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 227 228 229 [230] 231 232 233 234 235 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1405983 times)
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #5725 on: August 15, 2015, 07:16:43 PM »

Here's something I've always wondered-

Could Bruce handle singing thei falsetto parts today? He still does on Fun, Fun, Fun and God Only Knows (when Carl isn't on the screen)

http://youtu.be/L5b9mByFgO0

That's Jeff doubling him off stage
Suggests he can still cut it…

thats a little sad... (not the performance)
why wouldn't they have Jeff singing along with the other 4? Its not like the BB's back in the 60's were a quartet...  Sad

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Rocket
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5726 on: August 15, 2015, 07:23:04 PM »

Is the mono Pet Sounds on iTunes just folded down mono or is it the original mix?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5727 on: August 16, 2015, 02:03:35 AM »

Could Bruce handle singing thei falsetto parts today? He still does on Fun, Fun, Fun and God Only Knows (when Carl isn't on the screen)

Seriously? We weren't say close enough to look out for that kind of thing. Should I be asking for a refund?Huh

“We live in divisive times.”
Christoph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5728 on: August 16, 2015, 10:33:15 AM »

No Jeff here. Brian Eichenberger on falsetto lead, Bruce and Scott Totten in the middle.

ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5729 on: August 16, 2015, 10:56:49 PM »

When was the exact date that Brian first tried LSD?
Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5730 on: August 17, 2015, 01:29:46 AM »

Has the 2012 re-recording of 'Do it again" been made digitally available at all?
I have been listening to a crummy rip of the youtube video for the the last three years...

It was an exclusive track on this Walmart compilation.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Anniversary-Collection-ZinePak-Walmart-Exclusive/20678933

It was also a bonus track on Japanese editions of That's Why God Made the Radio.

Thanks, I'm aware of that but I appreciate the response. I don't really want to buy those CD's just for one track so I have been holding out for a digital release, but I guess it's really *that* exclusive.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5731 on: August 17, 2015, 02:22:19 AM »

Only three people know for certain. Immediately before he wrote "California Girls" is the best I can offer.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5732 on: August 17, 2015, 04:55:27 AM »

Only three people know for certain. Immediately before he wrote "California Girls" is the best I can offer.

Anyone want to try asking Lorren Daro?  Grin

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5733 on: August 17, 2015, 08:56:27 AM »

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction AGD. I suppose the EXACT date isn't quite as important to me, moreso simply what songs he began work on after taking that first trip, and what songs were recorded before/afterwards too. Obviously LSD had a profound effect on Brian and marked a certain turning point in his career, for better or for worse...
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5734 on: August 17, 2015, 03:46:54 PM »

Is Brian related to Orson Welles?

According to this website, he is. I'm just curious if anyone of you with a much greater depth of knowledge about such things might know. I'm now VERY curious about this.

http://famouskin.com/famous_kin_chart.php?name=38242+orson+welles&kin=40427+brian+wilson&via=6474

Family Relationship of: Orson Welles (Radio, Stage, and Movie Actor)

9th cousin 2 times removed to Brian Wilson (Founding Member of The Beach Boys)

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Misterlou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5735 on: August 19, 2015, 08:26:48 PM »

I gotta say, All This is That is all that. A great song, definitely one of my favorite post-SMiLE songs. Did Brian really not have anything to do with this song's composition?
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #5736 on: August 23, 2015, 08:43:30 PM »

Is Wake the World on the B-side of the U.S. Do It Again 45 in stereo, mono, or collapsed mono from stereo?

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #5737 on: August 23, 2015, 09:10:44 PM »

I gotta say, All This is That is all that. A great song, definitely one of my favorite post-SMiLE songs. Did Brian really not have anything to do with this song's composition?

Think I remember reading an Al interview where he had the "all this is that" part first and then Carl (to waves and I) and Mike (Mother Devine's precious kiss) then added their parts. I love this song too and it's a great Al, Carl and Mike collaboration. Great, great song!

I'm sure there are a bunch of  people on the board who know a whole lot more about about the song than I.  Did you use the board search finction and plug in the song?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 09:27:29 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5738 on: August 23, 2015, 09:37:41 PM »

Thanks to today's Google Doodle (Duke Kahanamoku's 125th Birthday), I now know there is an Encyclopedia of Surfing.  It does have an article on the BBs, but it has some misinformation in it.

http://encyclopediaofsurfing.com/entries/beach-boys-the

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5739 on: August 24, 2015, 01:47:52 AM »

Can anybody make out the words to the "lost verse" in All This Is That? It can be heard mixed in the background during the second verse, I believe.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #5740 on: August 24, 2015, 03:59:55 AM »

Can anybody make out the words to the "lost verse" in All This Is That? It can be heard mixed in the background during the second verse, I believe.

No idea if this helps but this is what AGD makes of the lyrics (and the singers):

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,11465.msg227350.html#msg227350

Perhaps he'll do the same for "Barbara Ann" some day. Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5741 on: August 24, 2015, 02:46:43 PM »

What is the song order of the 1964 BBC session?  I want to take the songs from MIC and Keep An Eye On Summer and make a playlist and listen to it the way it aired.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5742 on: August 26, 2015, 01:46:47 AM »

Back in the day, I asked Alan (via a mutual friend) what those buried lyrics were. The answer came back in a day or so: "sorry, can't remember".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5743 on: August 26, 2015, 01:58:26 AM »

Back in the day, I asked Alan (via a mutual friend) what those buried lyrics were. The answer came back in a day or so: "sorry, can't remember".
I wonder if the original verse still exists on the multi tracks?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5744 on: August 26, 2015, 08:31:06 AM »

Think I remember reading an Al interview where he had the "all this is that" part first and then Carl (to waves and I) and Mike (Mother Devine's precious kiss) then added their parts. I love this song too and it's a great Al, Carl and Mike collaboration. Great, great song!

I thought it was "Two ways have I, both traveled by" -- which is perhaps a nod to Robert Frost's poem "The Road Not Taken."

Lee
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5745 on: August 26, 2015, 11:35:20 AM »

I thought it was "Two ways have I, both traveled by" -- which is perhaps a nod to Robert Frost's poem "The Road Not Taken."

Lee

I think there is some of that in there… always thought I heard something along the lines of "shouldn't make no difference to me…" buried in the mix. Does that crop up in the original poem?

“We live in divisive times.”
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5746 on: August 26, 2015, 11:41:22 AM »

Irrellivant question!

In that recently posted radio interview, Dennis said that he did not like recording in Holland and it was a bummer. anyone know the specifics to why he didnt dig the experience?
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #5747 on: August 26, 2015, 11:46:23 AM »

Lee

Ha, so did I (had my post that way orig and  changed it). But I checked the lyrics on three sites and they all had "to waves". I think you are right though. Makes sense.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5748 on: August 26, 2015, 01:37:20 PM »

Lee

I think there is some of that in there… always thought I heard something along the lines of "shouldn't make no difference to me…" buried in the mix. Does that crop up in the original poem?

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

http://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/road-not-taken
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5749 on: August 27, 2015, 02:14:23 AM »

I just listened to the early 80's Beach Boys medley. This was huge back in the day and it was fun to revisit, but what is the story with the beginning of Barbara Ann? It sounds so out of place.

Beach Boys Medley. Barbara Ann is about 3:45 into the video...
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 227 228 229 [230] 231 232 233 234 235 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx