gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 04:39:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 222 223 224 [225] 226 227 228 229 230 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1406466 times)
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5600 on: July 02, 2015, 08:14:51 PM »

I don't post often. I'm more interested in reading, learning and finding new BB-related videos on YouTube that I've missed. However, I have an insignificant tidbit that I'd like to share and this is one of the few places on the planet where someone else might appreciate it.

I'm outside yesterday morning having my pre-get ready to go to work cigarette. One of my neighbors, a woman in her early 50s, tends her granddaughter (who's three-ish) during the day while her daughter's at work. She and her granddaughter are outside in their backyard, don't know what they're doing, doesn't matter. Perched in the tree in their backyard is this crow that's squawking away as crows will do. I hear the woman ask her granddaughter, "What does the crow say?" (Do I even have to finish this?) I don't say it aloud, but it runs through my head: "The crow says, over and over, uncover the cornfield."

I'm not a fan of The Beach Boys or anything. Grin

As you were.   

There's only one problem.  We don't know exactly what the crow is saying.  We just know that the cries of the crow is what causes the uncovering of the cornfield.  It's all in how you interpret the line.
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5601 on: July 02, 2015, 08:57:32 PM »

I don't post often. I'm more interested in reading, learning and finding new BB-related videos on YouTube that I've missed. However, I have an insignificant tidbit that I'd like to share and this is one of the few places on the planet where someone else might appreciate it.

I'm outside yesterday morning having my pre-get ready to go to work cigarette. One of my neighbors, a woman in her early 50s, tends her granddaughter (who's three-ish) during the day while her daughter's at work. She and her granddaughter are outside in their backyard, don't know what they're doing, doesn't matter. Perched in the tree in their backyard is this crow that's squawking away as crows will do. I hear the woman ask her granddaughter, "What does the crow say?" (Do I even have to finish this?) I don't say it aloud, but it runs through my head: "The crow says, over and over, uncover the cornfield."

I'm not a fan of The Beach Boys or anything. Grin

As you were.   

There's only one problem.  We don't know exactly what the crow is saying.  We just know that the cries of the crow is what causes the uncovering of the cornfield.  It's all in how you interpret the line.

I personally interpret it as a member of the Crow Nation telling 'em White Folks to get off the land...

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5602 on: July 03, 2015, 03:46:24 AM »

Do any pictures exist of Dennis with Manson?

is this one a fake?

That's a picture of Dennis circa 1977. What do you think ?  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5603 on: July 03, 2015, 04:06:24 AM »

I finally got to see Love and Mercy and I'm sure this has been answered but I was shocked at the solo'd GV vocals, I was under the impression these were lost. So, whats the deal there?

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5604 on: July 03, 2015, 04:13:45 AM »

I finally got to see Love and Mercy and I'm sure this has been answered but I was shocked at the solo'd GV vocals, I was under the impression these were lost. So, whats the deal there?

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,21958.msg522078.html#msg522078
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5605 on: July 03, 2015, 04:18:20 AM »

Thank you! We can only hope one day the full tapes show up.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
Loves The Sunflower
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5606 on: July 04, 2015, 03:35:09 AM »

... Over and over the crow cries... "screw this; I'm tired of flying."

Nice. Grin

... We just know that the cries of the crow is what causes the uncovering of the cornfield.  It's all in how you interpret the line.

No, we don't know that the cries of the crow actually result in the uncovering of the cornfield. There's no resolution of the matter stated -or even implied- in the song. Tongue Grin (Please take that as the abysmal attempt at humor that it was intended to be.)

I personally interpret it as a member of the Crow Nation telling 'em White Folks to get off the land...

Don't know if you're kidding or not or what, but given the nature of some of the Smile material, i.e., a thinly-veiled journey through Americana, this could be true, as it would certainly be part of the story. Interesting.

I don't know what Van Dyke Parks meant, if anything, by the line. What I do know is that it sounds right in the context of Cabinessence. Sometimes that's all that matters. I also know that hearing my neighbor ask the question she did made be think of it. Beyond that, I got nothing. Smiley   
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #5607 on: July 04, 2015, 03:42:40 AM »

I always thought it meant that as the field was being plowed the crows gathered to eat the seeds being planted and the worms in the earth.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5608 on: July 04, 2015, 09:29:26 AM »

The first line of the tag is pretty straightforward... but what about "Over and over/The thresher/And hover the wheat field" ?

Hmmmmmm... ?

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5609 on: July 04, 2015, 10:08:21 AM »

Chop the two lines up and the half of each other fits.

Over and over/The thresher/Uncover the cornfield
Over and over/The crow cries/And hover the wheat field

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5610 on: July 04, 2015, 10:54:24 AM »

Maybe Van was into the William Burroughs "cut and paste" literary method?
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5611 on: July 04, 2015, 12:16:17 PM »

The first line of the tag is pretty straightforward... but what about "Over and over/The thresher/And hover the wheat field" ?

Hmmmmmm... ?

Thresher... best I can do is the threshing machine used to separate grain from husks and stalks.  Wheat is a grain.

As for the crow, I had been interpreting it as the bird crow until the day I had to explain race and enthicity to him my son (about why he looks indistinguishable from his classmates (takes after his father side in looks) but still has to mark down "Asian" on school tests).  After that talk, I thought about it for a bit more.  I do have a tiny sliver of Choctaw in me, so I thought... Choctaw, Apache, Cherokee, Navajo, Chinook, Mohawk, Crow... Crow?  And then suddenly I had a picture in my head of a Crow member facing a business tycoon and pointing at a filthy conglomeration of buildings and infrastructure sitting in the middle of open prairie.

Edit: Just realized my brain was running faster than my fingers.  Corrected "him" to "my son".
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 04:01:40 PM by Komera » Logged

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
SBonilla
« Reply #5612 on: July 04, 2015, 01:45:47 PM »

Hmmmmmm... ?

Thresher... best I can do is the threshing machine used to separate grain from husks and stalks.  Wheat is a grain.

As for the crow, I had been interpreting it as the bird crow until the day I had to explain race and enthicity to him (about why he looks indistinguishable from his classmates (takes after his father side in looks) but still has to mark down "Asian" on school tests).  After that talk, I thought about it for a bit more.  I do have a tiny sliver of Choctaw in me, so I thought... Choctaw, Apache, Cherokee, Navajo, Chinook, Mohawk, Crow... Crow?  And then suddenly I had a picture in my head of a Crow member facing a business tycoon and pointing at a filthy conglomeration of buildings and infrastructure sitting in the middle of open prairie.

No wheat in the Americas. I can see it hovering over the maize.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #5613 on: July 04, 2015, 07:27:15 PM »

I have a question

I heard that Bruce played (or mimed?) guitar at a 2011 gig. Is this true? And if so, does anyone have any pictures???
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5614 on: July 04, 2015, 10:55:02 PM »

I always thought it meant that as the field was being plowed the crows gathered to eat the seeds being planted and the worms in the earth.
Are there vegetables being planted? And does the crow like worms?

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5615 on: July 05, 2015, 12:19:48 AM »

OK, here's something that's been bugging me for some time now. There are two different edits of the "Better Get Back In Bed" track. One has Cal singing the line "Pied Piper, I'd better get back in bed, I hope I see you again" a few times, then as the track is fading out Carl changes the words to something that sounds like "Pied Piper, I'll be rollin' along". This version is from the twofer version of the Mt. Vernon and Fairway fairytale. Then there is another edit that has Carl sing the line " Pied Piper, I'd better get back in bed, I'd better get back in bed". Can anybody explain why there are two distinctly different edits?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5616 on: July 05, 2015, 12:37:03 AM »

Ooh...good question

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5617 on: July 05, 2015, 12:40:23 AM »

Ooh...good question
The version where Carl repeats the "better in get in bed" line is from the "Fairy Tale Music" track on the Good Vibrations box set. It's bothered me for years.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5618 on: July 10, 2015, 01:54:25 PM »

Two things I seem to remember reading, but can't recall where... Can anyone help me with the exact quotes?

Brian saying that he always intended "Sloop John B" to be part of Pet Sounds.

Van Dyke recalling a story of Dennis giving Charles Manson a beatdown in front of a bunch of very hip people.

Thanks in advance!

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5619 on: July 10, 2015, 03:02:06 PM »

Two things I seem to remember reading, but can't recall where... Can anyone help me with the exact quotes?

Van Dyke recalling a story of Dennis giving Charles Manson a beatdown in front of a bunch of very hip people.

Thanks in advance!

I think I read on here once someone disputing the beatdown story, for his size Manson was a pretty tough customer.

Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5620 on: July 10, 2015, 03:09:57 PM »

I think I read on here once someone disputing the beatdown story, for his size Manson was a pretty tough customer.

Interesting, thanks. Any information on why the story was disputed would be welcome as well.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5621 on: July 10, 2015, 03:58:43 PM »

Ooh...good question
The version where Carl repeats the "better in get in bed" line is from the "Fairy Tale Music" track on the Good Vibrations box set. It's bothered me for years.  Grin
Bump ....
Anyone ?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5622 on: July 11, 2015, 01:06:17 AM »

He says that in a Pet Sounds-related podcast from a few years ago... plus. of course, it was included in the original (and incomplete) list of tracks he handed in to Capitol late February 1966:

Wouldn't It Be Nice
Caroline No
Good Vibrations
You Still Believe In Me
That's Not Me
Hang On To Your Ego
Sloop John B
The Old Man And The Baby (= Let's Go Away For A While)
Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 01:08:35 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5623 on: July 12, 2015, 09:15:26 PM »

Thanks, Andrew-- I knew I had seen/heard definitive proof that he wanted Sloop on there somewhere before.

SUICIDE
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5624 on: July 12, 2015, 10:51:15 PM »

I just learned that a friend of mine's nephew plays volleyball with Mike Love's son Christian. They're really good, too, winning tournaments and stuff.

One of those 6 degrees of separation things!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 222 223 224 [225] 226 227 228 229 230 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx