gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:40:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 221 222 223 [224] 225 226 227 228 229 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1406378 times)
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5575 on: June 24, 2015, 02:36:50 PM »

Wow that is weird. I just so happen to have read this very passage earlier today and then I see this post. From the Stephen J. McParland chronicling of the Usher/Wilson sessions in 1986, The Wilson Project, page 27, August 20 1986 entry (Gary Usher is narrating):

One night Brian was in his favourite chair in the living room (he just loved to go there and sit) and in walked Braden [my note: Usher's youngest son] with some golf clubs. So Brian picked up a golf club and my wife happened to be sitting in the living room in the dark strumming a guitar and she said, "Hi Brian, what are you doing?" and he said, "Oh, I am just sitting here in the chair with a golf club in my hand." Then a few minutes of silence went by and he said, "Now there is no golf club in my hand." My wife looked over and he had put the golf club down. Anyway, she went back to strumming the guitar and then a couple of seconds later she happened to look over and Brian had inadvertently picked up the golf club again and she stopped and said, "And now you have the golf club back in your hand." Brian looked at her and broke up laughing. It really broke him up. It was a good example of how they played back and forth the entire time Brian and I were working together.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5576 on: June 24, 2015, 05:02:48 PM »

Listened to a bunch of early BB's last night and just wanted to talk about "Your Summer Dream" for a minute. It has to rank with Brian's best early (pre-'64) ballads, but it seems strangely underproduced. This lead to a thought that most of Brian's advanced production techniques in the early days seemed confined to singles sides or other songs such as "Catch a Wave" and "Our Car Club" that might have been potentially seen as singles at one point. To me at least it seems as though there was a decision to (quite logically) spend more money and effort on the group's "a"-list material. "Your Summer Dream" therefore seems to have been destined to be buried on an LP somewhere. It's a gorgeous song, but even the addition of some vibrato guitar at the end or similar instrumental or vocal overdubbing would have elevated it. I wonder why the group might not have had more faith in it commercially-- perhaps because it was essentially a Brian solo song?

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5577 on: June 24, 2015, 09:10:28 PM »

Does Jeff Foskett have a brother named Michael that works at a Barnes & Noble in California?

He worked in the music and DVD section, if that helps.
StillSurfin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5578 on: June 25, 2015, 03:27:02 AM »

Was wondering, is the Sweet Insanity Millennium unreleased album a better quality version of SI, or is it a fan-made remaster?.
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5579 on: June 25, 2015, 01:14:15 PM »

Listened to a bunch of early BB's last night and just wanted to talk about "Your Summer Dream" for a minute. It has to rank with Brian's best early (pre-'64) ballads, but it seems strangely underproduced. This lead to a thought that most of Brian's advanced production techniques in the early days seemed confined to singles sides or other songs such as "Catch a Wave" and "Our Car Club" that might have been potentially seen as singles at one point. To me at least it seems as though there was a decision to (quite logically) spend more money and effort on the group's "a"-list material. "Your Summer Dream" therefore seems to have been destined to be buried on an LP somewhere. It's a gorgeous song, but even the addition of some vibrato guitar at the end or similar instrumental or vocal overdubbing would have elevated it. I wonder why the group might not have had more faith in it commercially-- perhaps because it was essentially a Brian solo song?

I'm glad you brought up this song.  It's a fantastic tune.  I love the chords, and it's fun for an amateur guitar player like myself to strum along.  I agree, it deserved more attention and sounds like it was done in just a few takes - can you imagine what it would have sounded like if given the Wrecking Crew treatment?

The lyrics are also quite beautiful. 
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5580 on: June 28, 2015, 05:59:04 PM »

CNN - "The unforgettable Glen Campbell"

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/24/opinions/glen-campbell/index.html?sr=tw062815glencampbell130pStoryGalPhoto

There's a list of 10 recordings that the author found unforgettable.  #2 is "Guess I'm Dumb"

Campbell famously filled in for Brian Wilson on the road for the Beach Boys in late 1964 and 1965, but lesser known is this gem written by Wilson and Russ Titleman that Wilson gave to Campbell to record. Though the track was recorded during the sessions for the Beach Boys' 1965 "Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)" album, it has some of the same yearning depth of "Pet Sounds," an album to which Campbell would also contribute as a musician. Despite the song's title, Campbell proves his brilliance here with a high-flying vocal that would make any of the Wilson brothers proud.

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #5581 on: June 28, 2015, 08:47:02 PM »

CNN - "The unforgettable Glen Campbell"

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/24/opinions/glen-campbell/index.html?sr=tw062815glencampbell130pStoryGalPhoto

There's a list of 10 recordings that the author found unforgettable.  #2 is "Guess I'm Dumb"

Campbell famously filled in for Brian Wilson on the road for the Beach Boys in late 1964 and 1965, but lesser known is this gem written by Wilson and Russ Titleman that Wilson gave to Campbell to record. Though the track was recorded during the sessions for the Beach Boys' 1965 "Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)" album, it has some of the same yearning depth of "Pet Sounds," an album to which Campbell would also contribute as a musician. Despite the song's title, Campbell proves his brilliance here with a high-flying vocal that would make any of the Wilson brothers proud.

Actually, the track was recorded during the Today sessions, which makes the song even more remarkable.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5582 on: June 29, 2015, 11:57:44 PM »

Do any pictures exist of the "Pity about Mike Love" shirt?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
KDS
« Reply #5583 on: June 30, 2015, 05:49:05 AM »

Yes, it is the one with 18 songs total (including In The Back Of My Mind and Love & Mercy).  Smiley

so if I dig out my receipt for my original purchase, I can get my $$ back and buy it now for 1/2 price.   Sweet!

If you go to customer service, you might be able to get the credit since it's less than 90 days.  If I still had the receipt from the copies I bought, I'd probably do that. 
Loves The Sunflower
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5584 on: July 01, 2015, 02:10:47 AM »

I don't post often. I'm more interested in reading, learning and finding new BB-related videos on YouTube that I've missed. However, I have an insignificant tidbit that I'd like to share and this is one of the few places on the planet where someone else might appreciate it.

I'm outside yesterday morning having my pre-get ready to go to work cigarette. One of my neighbors, a woman in her early 50s, tends her granddaughter (who's three-ish) during the day while her daughter's at work. She and her granddaughter are outside in their backyard, don't know what they're doing, doesn't matter. Perched in the tree in their backyard is this crow that's squawking away as crows will do. I hear the woman ask her granddaughter, "What does the crow say?" (Do I even have to finish this?) I don't say it aloud, but it runs through my head: "The crow says, over and over, uncover the cornfield."

I'm not a fan of The Beach Boys or anything. Grin

As you were.   
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5585 on: July 01, 2015, 05:24:07 AM »

Question about Darlin': I almost always hear the song when live in the key of E maj, yet on Wild Honey, the song is presented a half step higher (G maj.  Can someone explain the reason for the change?  Thank you!
SBonilla
« Reply #5586 on: July 01, 2015, 05:28:08 AM »

Question about Darlin': I almost always hear the song when live in the key of E maj, yet on Wild Honey, the song is presented a half step higher (G maj.  Can someone explain the reason for the change?  Thank you!

The key of F would be a half step up.
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5587 on: July 01, 2015, 05:31:58 AM »

Yes, I clearly know my alphabet today!  Must be because I just got my wisdom teeth removed...   Tongue
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5588 on: July 01, 2015, 05:35:37 AM »

Yes, I clearly know my alphabet today!  Must be because I just got my wisdom teeth removed...   Tongue
Actually I had the completely wrong keys: I mean B man, to C maj...
SBonilla
« Reply #5589 on: July 01, 2015, 05:49:05 AM »

Actually I had the completely wrong keys: I mean B man, to C maj...
OK, lol. I was playing the song in my mind and was thinking that the chords were in a different position. Haven't played it in years (decades?).

The reason may be that because the verse has a sustained melody of high notes, the key was lowered to keep Carl from straining his voice.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: July 01, 2015, 06:52:12 AM »

No of course you're not.  Cool Guy  Good to see you drop in now and again, Jerod. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
barto
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5591 on: July 01, 2015, 12:16:46 PM »

2 questions:

1. What's the deal with this third love and mercy verse at 2:08? Has anyone heard this anywhere else before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpYJ7FIcQNg

2. Anyone know the history of the section of Rio Grande that starts around 4:00 in the album version? It's so beautiful...was it written for the Rio enterprise originally or come from somewhere else? It's the after rain section "The river's deep and the river's so wide....she's waiting for me on the other side"

Any help would be appreciated Smiley
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 12:19:37 PM by d@rnomite » Logged
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5592 on: July 01, 2015, 04:56:12 PM »

Do any pictures exist of Dennis with Manson?

is this one a fake?

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: July 01, 2015, 05:26:24 PM »

Yup. Gary Pig Gold appeared in the original.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Coda Hall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5594 on: July 01, 2015, 08:12:13 PM »

So, during Live Aid in WIBN, the camera is on Brian for most of the song. Is Bran's mic even on? Can anyone here him in the vocal mix, or is he just miming?
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5595 on: July 01, 2015, 10:12:33 PM »

Are the disparate but increasingly proficient and efficient touring bands of Mike and Brian moving toward a melded final tour........? 
Loves The Sunflower
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5596 on: July 01, 2015, 11:49:05 PM »

No of course you're not.  Cool Guy  Good to see you drop in now and again, Jerod. :=)

Hey, John! Smiley

So, during Live Aid in WIBN, the camera is on Brian for most of the song. Is Bran's mic even on? Can anyone here him in the vocal mix, or is he just miming?

I can kinda hear him. He seems to be at somewhat less than half the volume of whomever (Al?) is doubling him. Why somebody thought it necessary to help him with the lead vocal is a mystery, as WIBN is certainly a song he was still perfectly capable of doing in the mid-1980s, see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIYFmG7HbBc  (Yes, he's lip syncing on this one, but it's obviously his voice.)
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #5597 on: July 02, 2015, 12:15:55 AM »

Hey, John! Smiley

I can kinda hear him. He seems to be at somewhat less than half the volume of whomever (Al?) is doubling him.

Al and probably Jeff, too.

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5598 on: July 02, 2015, 02:55:10 AM »

I don't post often. I'm more interested in reading, learning and finding new BB-related videos on YouTube that I've missed. However, I have an insignificant tidbit that I'd like to share and this is one of the few places on the planet where someone else might appreciate it.

I'm outside yesterday morning having my pre-get ready to go to work cigarette. One of my neighbors, a woman in her early 50s, tends her granddaughter (who's three-ish) during the day while her daughter's at work. She and her granddaughter are outside in their backyard, don't know what they're doing, doesn't matter. Perched in the tree in their backyard is this crow that's squawking away as crows will do. I hear the woman ask her granddaughter, "What does the crow say?" (Do I even have to finish this?) I don't say it aloud, but it runs through my head: "The crow says, over and over, uncover the cornfield."

As you were.   
This has been floating around the internet lately:
http://metro.co.uk/2015/06/30/just-a-crow-landing-on-the-back-of-an-eagle-like-an-absolute-boss-5272998/?ito=facebook

Which reminded me of what you said.
Over and over the crow cries... "screw this; I'm tired of flying."

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5599 on: July 02, 2015, 07:09:30 PM »

Hadn't checked on the Wilson W. Wilson Jr. Twitter account for a few months.  But I checked today and he's FINALLY posted this!  I was WONDERING if this would ever show up.

https://twitter.com/WilsonWWilsonJr/status/603422051748093953

Edit:  Wonder what Al's standing on... and why Wilson never stands on it.  Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 07:11:06 PM by Komera » Logged

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 221 222 223 [224] 225 226 227 228 229 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx