gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:07:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 216 217 218 [219] 220 221 222 223 224 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399862 times)
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #5450 on: April 01, 2015, 06:34:47 AM »

Is it Brian doing the falsetto on Heroes and Villains (52:13-52:42)? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDu6Npt1Z9g

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5451 on: April 01, 2015, 08:46:45 AM »

Is it Brian doing the falsetto on Heroes and Villains (52:13-52:42)? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDu6Npt1Z9g

Can't tell, but it certainly is him on "Catch A Wave"! Cool! Smiley
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 02:19:00 AM by Micha » Logged

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Pet Sounder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5452 on: April 01, 2015, 04:15:44 PM »

Does the tag of the California Girls Hawaii version (MIC Disc 6, Track 23) sound an awful lot like the chorus of Love and Mercy to anyone else?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #5453 on: April 02, 2015, 05:28:45 AM »

What ever happened to the rank the tracks tournament for solo albums?
I asked the mods to move them to the Album Reviews section> Polls. Jus' where they should belong. Aren't I nice? 3D

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #5454 on: April 02, 2015, 06:08:06 AM »

I asked the mods to move them to the Album Reviews section> Polls. Jus' where they should belong. Aren't I nice? 3D

I think the kid means why didn't we carry on doing all the other solo albums.

Please delete my account
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5455 on: April 02, 2015, 06:14:50 AM »

Does the tag of the California Girls Hawaii version (MIC Disc 6, Track 23) sound an awful lot like the chorus of Love and Mercy to anyone else?

Yes, I've always thought the same thing. Tough to sing "California Girls" on top of "Love & Mercy," though-- I speak from experience!
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #5456 on: April 02, 2015, 06:16:10 AM »

"California Girls" is tough to sing in any circumstances. The chorus at any rate.

Please delete my account
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5457 on: April 02, 2015, 09:26:58 AM »

I think the kid means why didn't we carry on doing all the other solo albums.

Exactly
halblaineisgood
« Reply #5458 on: April 06, 2015, 11:22:08 PM »

If I went to any Target at 8AM this morning would I have a good chance of finding No Pier Pressure?
Rocket
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5459 on: April 12, 2015, 09:21:21 AM »

Who actually produced "All I Wanna Do"?

Obviously it has the "Produced By The Beach Boys" tag, but that's a little vague. I can't help but think Brian was the primary producer on it.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5460 on: April 12, 2015, 01:37:56 PM »

I've asked that question before, and this was the post I was directed to:

What's even more remarkable about that song is the fact that ALL I WANNA DO, unlike much of the album, was done entirely 8 track (it had been produced for the unreleased "Last Capitol Album" in 1969).  Interesting note:  for that song, the documentation from the original recording session at Gold Star on 3/19 1969 states the song was produced by Carl Wilson....

Alan
Rocket
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5461 on: April 12, 2015, 01:59:33 PM »

I've asked that question before, and this was the post I was directed to:

What's even more remarkable about that song is the fact that ALL I WANNA DO, unlike much of the album, was done entirely 8 track (it had been produced for the unreleased "Last Capitol Album" in 1969).  Interesting note:  for that song, the documentation from the original recording session at Gold Star on 3/19 1969 states the song was produced by Carl Wilson....

Alan

Thanks for the response!

As for the info, all I can say is wow. Carl really hit that out of the park.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5462 on: April 12, 2015, 02:34:56 PM »

If I went to any Target at 8AM this morning would I have a good chance of finding No Pier Pressure?

I went at 9:30 PM the thursday after it came out and found one with no difficulty at all. You most likely won't have a problem, if anything you might have to drive to a second Target.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5463 on: April 21, 2015, 09:47:09 AM »

Didn't want to make a new thread for it, but MLB Network just played Feel Flows going to commercial break.  Don't know if they've used it before, but I thought that was pretty cool.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5464 on: April 21, 2015, 09:57:20 AM »

Watched a Rob Reiner film last nite from 2012 magic of belle isle with Morgan freeman began with don't worry baby.     surprised and delighted me
KDS
« Reply #5465 on: April 21, 2015, 10:48:02 AM »

Didn't want to make a new thread for it, but MLB Network just played Feel Flows going to commercial break.  Don't know if they've used it before, but I thought that was pretty cool.

Maybe it's a tribute to Jack Rieley.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 10:58:00 AM by KDS » Logged
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5466 on: April 24, 2015, 03:42:24 AM »

In the Brian Wilson Songwriter 69-82 documentary, during his writing for Love You they mentioned songs titled such as 'Bring your own comb' and 'Quit using my toothpaste'. Do these exist anywhere? I have the Brian Loves you and Loves you too boot and thought that might be the sort of place they would be found. I would absolutely love to hear some songs by Brian like this.....

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5467 on: April 24, 2015, 08:16:31 AM »

In the Brian Wilson Songwriter 69-82 documentary, during his writing for Love You they mentioned songs titled such as 'Bring your own comb' and 'Quit using my toothpaste'. Do these exist anywhere? I have the Brian Loves you and Loves you too boot and thought that might be the sort of place they would be found. I would absolutely love to hear some songs by Brian like this.....

I would absolutely love to hear those, but my impression was that those were just things Brian banged out at the piano because Landy assigned them as "homework".

Sorta like that Van Morrison album full of songs like "I Want a Danish", maybe.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #5468 on: April 24, 2015, 08:47:57 AM »

I would absolutely love to hear those, but my impression was that those were just things Brian banged out at the piano because Landy assigned them as "homework".

Sorta like that Van Morrison album full of songs like "I Want a Danish", maybe.

That was Van oweing Bang Records 36 more songs on his contract. Van spent an afternoon recording 31 songs on a crappy acoustic guitar, most of which were under a minute long while he sang nonsense variations on "Hang On Sloopy". He then sent the masters to Bang with a message along the lines of "here's your songs". Still, Brian writing a song about Ringworm could only have improved Love You.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5469 on: April 24, 2015, 11:23:41 AM »

This might or might not merit its own thread but I figured I'd just toss it in here.

The passing of Jack Rieley reminded me, naturally, of YNAMOHTSA from CATP, and of those original lyrics by Tandyn Almer which, as Bruce recalled them, included the line "She do the shake down at Bumbles."  I've wondered from time to time, for decades, just what that was.  Sounded like a nightclub, but was it?

Then sometime last summer, in an FB group to which I belong that discusses LA architecture and whatnot, somebody asked where Bumbles was.  I did some checking on Google and found out, finally, what Tandyn was talking about.

Bumbles was a nightclub/restaurant, opened sometime in the spring of '69, at 828 S. Robertson Blvd, about two blocks down from Wilshire.  The founder and part-owner was Brian Morris who had made his name running the famed Swinging London hotspot the Ad Lib.  Among the investors in Bumbles was John Phillips who refers to the place in his book Papa John.

Through the summer of '69, it was a pretty happening place.  All of the Angeleno hipsters were there. In fact, in the week preceding the Cielo Drive murders, everyone who died there apart from Steven Parent was present at Bumbles at one time or another.

There continued to be good business at Bumbles going into 1970, but during that year business started to drop, and by the middle of '71 the club was struggling. Toward the end of that year, it was purchased by Hugh Hefner; realtor Stan Herman; financier/conman Bernard Cornfeld; and Joe DeCarlo, onetime manager of Sonny & Cher and a gentleman with extensive connections in various places.

The club was renamed Pips and turned into a members-only place. Hefner was a keen backgammon fan and the place was soon filled with backgammon tables, so it became a magnet for a lot of celebs keen on the game, like Lucille Ball.  DeCarlo's involvement helped bring in a lot of old-school showbiz figures like Dean Martin and even Sinatra.  

Pips thrived throughout the Seventies. But business slowed down in the early '80s, and ultimately, during a time when the Playboy empire was sustaining substantial losses, Hef sold the place; the other investors had dropped out long before.  

There doesn't seem to be anything located at this address now, but this is what the building and interior looked like in the mid-'70s, in a Columbo episode:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=563872633666963&theater

And just one more thing as Columbo would say.  During the mid-'70s, there was a psychological clinic across the street from the club, which operated under the name Foundation For The Rechanneling Of Emotions And Education (FREE). Yes, that was Landy's HQ when Brian was first involved with him.

But to get back to the subject heading - the reference to Bumbles suggests that Tandyn and Brian wrote the song while it was still around, ie sometime in the first half or maybe the fall of '71.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 11:26:44 AM by rn57 » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5470 on: April 24, 2015, 12:56:52 PM »

Good story, rn57!  

To the tune of "You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone":

She’s got some holes in her stockings
She do a whole lot of rockin’.
She do the shake down at Bumbles
She do the Chicano rumble.

-Tandyn Almer
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 01:11:09 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5471 on: April 24, 2015, 01:05:52 PM »

Now that you mention Tandyn, it just dawned on me that in the past year-or-so, between him and Ray Kennedy and now Jack Rieley, we've lost three of the writers of Sail on Sailor. Van Dyke is also doing his last performance on keyboards, and Brian seems to be dropping hints of retiring from touring... it's a little sad.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5472 on: April 26, 2015, 01:08:11 AM »

What was Dennis's status in The Beach Boys at the time of his death? Was he officially out of the group?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5473 on: April 26, 2015, 04:05:47 AM »

Officially, I think not. Unofficially, he was told to go away & get his act together before he could play with the band again. Prior to 9/26/83, the last show he played would seem to be August 7th at Paso Robles CA.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5474 on: April 27, 2015, 04:05:14 PM »

Something totally random from Twitter today.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 216 217 218 [219] 220 221 222 223 224 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx