gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680748 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 03:11:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 212 213 214 [215] 216 217 218 219 220 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1406115 times)
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #5350 on: January 06, 2015, 08:20:39 AM »

Sorry if it's been asked already etc...

Does anybody know who wrote Lonely Days? I'm assuming it's a Brian song, sure sounds like it, but according to the Hawthorne CD (composer unknown)...
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5351 on: January 06, 2015, 08:27:48 AM »

In "All Summer Long", the correct lyrics are "...pair of tongs", which were used as roach clips by the nascent hippie community before the advent of the actual roach.

Also, "miniature golf" is a reference to golf balls, a term in the drug culture for certain depressants.

Certainly, the boys had fun all summer long.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #5352 on: January 06, 2015, 05:13:27 PM »

Sorry if it's been asked already etc...

Does anybody know who wrote Lonely Days? I'm assuming it's a Brian song, sure sounds like it, but according to the Hawthorne CD (composer unknown)...

I don't think anything official has been said, but the music and lyrics have to be Brian's work. Lyrically, it has a simplicity to it that goes well with the likes of stuff like "Busy Doin' Nothin'" and I feel like only Brian could come up with those melodies etc. Hard to say if anyone else in the group had any kind of input, but I'd guess the bulk of it is Brian's.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5353 on: January 06, 2015, 08:34:21 PM »

I wasn't sure where else on the forum to put this but I thought it was worth sharing.

From this week's Bob's Burgers.

Grin

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #5354 on: January 07, 2015, 06:23:14 AM »

In "All Summer Long", the correct lyrics are "...pair of tongs", which were used as roach clips by the nascent hippie community before the advent of the actual roach.

Also, "miniature golf" is a reference to golf balls, a term in the drug culture for certain depressants.

Brian said, "I wish I've never done drugs". Don't these words matter to you? I feel sorry for people who think it's a fun subject (aka "doing drugs is cool" Roll Eyes). All this temporary euphoria is nothing compared to the real meaning of "All Summer Long". But go ahead, find the drug ref. in "Surfin' USA", instead of spots & beaches it is fancy names for any kind of substance.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5355 on: January 07, 2015, 12:03:28 PM »

Brian said, "I wish I've never done drugs". Don't these words matter to you? I feel sorry for people who think it's a fun subject (aka "doing drugs is cool" Roll Eyes). All this temporary euphoria is nothing compared to the real meaning of "All Summer Long". But go ahead, find the drug ref. in "Surfin' USA", instead of spots & beaches it is fancy names for any kind of substance.

Personally, I think you take this too seriously, and I wish Brian had never done drugs, even at the expense of losing California Girls and DYLW.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5356 on: January 07, 2015, 01:05:09 PM »

I've never done drugs, they're not for me, but I do find some humor in them. Not in a "doing drugs is cool" sort of way at all, though. At the same time, yes, I understand the, uh, seriousness of them - I also would rather Brian hadn't done drugs if it meant he'd feel a little better nowadays, and obviously drugs of one kind or another is basically what cost us Dennis and, if we include tobacco, Carl, too (among a ton of other brilliant musicians, unfortunately). So yeah, not a fan of them, but I don't think it's off-limits from joking about (to me, at least).

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5357 on: January 10, 2015, 08:43:05 AM »

I've never done drugs, they're not for me, but I do find some humor in them. Not in a "doing drugs is cool" sort of way at all, though. At the same time, yes, I understand the, uh, seriousness of them - I also would rather Brian hadn't done drugs if it meant he'd feel a little better nowadays, and obviously drugs of one kind or another is basically what cost us Dennis and, if we include tobacco, Carl, too (among a ton of other brilliant musicians, unfortunately). So yeah, not a fan of them, but I don't think it's off-limits from joking about (to me, at least).

DAMMIT RUNNNERS IS NOTHING SACRED?!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5358 on: January 10, 2015, 08:58:11 AM »

IS NOTHING SACRED?!

Nothing is sacred.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5359 on: January 10, 2015, 11:35:58 AM »

Totally different topic: My beloved hubby was listening to NPR this a.m., when I heard him laughing uproariously. Turns out he had just heard an accordion consort playing "God Only Knows" as some of the bumper music.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #5360 on: January 10, 2015, 10:07:46 PM »

Personally, I think you take this too seriously, and I wish Brian had never done drugs, even at the expense of losing California Girls and DYLW.
Cali Girls, I'll give you that. Never cared for "Do You Like Worms?". And it's not the best song on Smile anyway.

Great! That's your "Buzz off!"statement to drugs. Anyway, it was a good post. I still disagree with the "humor" part, but you explained yourself well, in a civilized manner. Thank you, friend.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5361 on: January 12, 2015, 02:49:14 AM »

On which tracks can one hear Dennis singing bass?  I have trouble identifying it.  Mr. Stebbins, in Mr. Dillon's book, says that Dennis had more of a sandpapery thing than Mike, but they would basically cover the same parts.  Does this mean they doubled each other on particular tracks?

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #5362 on: January 12, 2015, 03:23:01 AM »

Recently I've heard quite a bit of Kate Bush and wondered what a duet (musically rather than vocally) with Brian would turn out like. Two great musical geniuses, both in their prime at a very young age and very competent at writing classics. It might not work now they're a lot older but I wondered whether you guys think it would have been a match made in heaven or an utter disaster?

They must have been on the same wavelength on this song I just discovered. Does the start remind you of anything.....?

http://youtu.be/G1vOHrrn7Ns
Indeed it does! Odd that no one else has jumped in on this. I have been exploring Kate's music this past year (after decades of her being on the very edge of my radar) and I love it. Every studio album sounds to me like a masterpiece, including Director's Cut.

Well, seeing who Kate has worked with in the past----even comedian Lenny Henry in a singing role----I think it would be pretty close to the proverbial match. She seems to get into the minds of her "collaborators" and draws what she needs from them within the context of that particular song. I'd regard a collaboration between her and Brian to fit this mould, rather than another "Don't Give Up" where the two are on equal footing. Something like Brian on Van Dyke's Orange Crate Art, I suppose...       

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #5363 on: January 12, 2015, 05:03:32 AM »

On which tracks can one hear Dennis singing bass?

I think Shortnenin' Bread (L.A. version) is an example.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
zachrwolfe
« Reply #5364 on: January 12, 2015, 06:00:15 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:58:33 PM by zatch » Logged
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5365 on: January 13, 2015, 10:53:40 AM »

Ta for the responses.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Rocket
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5366 on: January 13, 2015, 08:57:33 PM »

Was Brian high during the recording sessions of Pet Sounds or just when he was actually writing the music?

Listening to the sessions, it doesn't seem like he was, but I can't really tell for sure.

A bit of a random question, I know, but one I've always been a little curious on.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5367 on: January 14, 2015, 05:38:39 AM »

On the Hawthorne CA cover...there's the gang...including Denny wearing what looks to be his Shut Down Vol 2 jacket.  Across the street...directly...is???  David's house?  Man!!!  I'll bet it must have eaten him up some inside to look out the window and see the 'BOYS' just across the road and not be a part of it anymore.

That's almost cruel.

Murry. Angry

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5368 on: January 14, 2015, 09:36:35 PM »

Who is this Gus the Golfer (Gopher) who drops by to say hi to audience on Sacramento live?

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #5369 on: January 14, 2015, 09:51:35 PM »

the Hawthorne cover is one of the worst photoshops to grace an official release. cool concept though
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5370 on: January 14, 2015, 09:58:10 PM »

the Hawthorne cover is one of the worst photoshops to grace an official release. cool concept though

I mean... it's not great, but it's kind of obviously meant to have a sort of "This was put together in Photoshop" vibe to it. Like, I don't think it was meant to be a genuinely believable picture, you know? Like the giant 20x30 poster of my ex-girlfriend's cats that I made her. In that sense, I wouldn't say it's one of the worst Photoshop jobs I've seen at all.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5371 on: January 15, 2015, 05:02:10 AM »

Thanks John K, I'm glad I'm not the only one to think so! Smiley

I have another question for you all. in Celebrate the News, around 1:28 there's a 'howling' in the background. I've been trying to work out who it is. Any ideas who it might be? I think Bruce, Carl and possibly Al.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5372 on: January 18, 2015, 08:29:43 AM »

We're Together Again ?  written by B. Wilson and R. Wilson.  Who is R. Wilson? Huh

By the way...on that photo-shopped [ Hawthorne.CA ] pic mentioned above...That IS David's house across the street.?  Yes?  No?  If yes...it would have been nice if they' had photo-shopped a neater lookin' car onto his driveway.  That little 'dinker' looks kinda lame. LOL

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #5373 on: January 18, 2015, 09:04:35 AM »

Apparently it was the unrelated Ron Wilson for whom Brian produced a single for. Not sure if it's the same Ron Wilson that played in The Surfaris though.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5374 on: January 18, 2015, 09:07:52 AM »

Apparently it was the unrelated Ron Wilson for whom Brian produced a single for. Not sure if it's the same Ron Wilson that played in The Surfaris though.

AGD has said it is not.  I've tried to find more information on this guy to no avail.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 10:40:36 AM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 212 213 214 [215] 216 217 218 219 220 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx