gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:19:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Joshilyn Hoisington, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway (+ 1 Hidden) and 57 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 209 210 211 [212] 213 214 215 216 217 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399630 times)
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5275 on: November 06, 2014, 07:41:56 PM »

Friends is where you want to start buying the lps in stereo.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5276 on: November 08, 2014, 01:17:51 PM »

So while reading an ESQ from September of 1999, Matt Jardine was asked about what a fan would expect at a Friends and Family Show and he mentioned a few tunes such as Wild Honey, Til I Die, Surf's Up, and Be Here in the Morning. I know Mike/Bruce's band has done WH and Til I die, and Brian's band has obviously done those two plus Surf's Up, but did Al's Friends and Family Band perform Til I Die, Surfs Up, or Be Here in the Morning? I'm fairly certain they did Wild Honey on the Live in Las Vegas concert album. I know Eric's setlist site has some of the setlists for Al's shows, but has anyone else experienced any of Al's shows? What type of rare/deep album tracks did Al's group performed live? I know of the ones on the Las Vegas Live album, but did he expand upon that at any point? It'd be great if he performed stuff from his Postcard album, (like do a whole California Saga medley with Lookin down the Coast, Don't Fight the Sea, California Feeling, and maybe the Tidepool Interlude.)

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5277 on: November 09, 2014, 09:23:28 PM »

Perhaps I asked in the wrong thread (the Fire Hats thread), but I'm still curious if Andrew or anyone else could lead me to what I was asking here:

Not a "Fire" session because...

Too early and...

Wrong studio.

Although...

When I interviewed Chuck Britz back in 1985 at Western, he related a session for Fire that he engineered there. Another mystery...
Along with all your research (on the fantastic Bellagio site) and the book you did with Tobler...what's the outlet of this and other interviews you've done over the years? (Perhaps write another book? 😉) I would LOVE to read all those interviews and what not...and speaking of reading something of yours, I'd love to read other observations in your experience over the years of meeting beach boys/various related folk, attending concerts and beach boys conventions..it would provide a unique point if view for  this young beach boys fan. There's so much I'd love to hear about that you've experienced.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5278 on: November 16, 2014, 07:32:21 PM »

I've been watching a lot of the tributes in conjunction with Sesame Street's 45th Anniversary and one of the show's longtime stars Bob McGrath reminds me a lot of Bruce Johnston, both in singing voice and in demeanor.  I then wondered if the Beach Boys ever made an appearance on Sesame Street and it looks like they never have.  It seems like they'd be a perfect fit, especially considering the Muppets have performed Beach Boys songs in the past.  It's not too late to have Brian Wilson interacting with Muppets on Sesame Street, I personally would love to see that.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 07:34:14 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5279 on: November 16, 2014, 08:12:57 PM »

I'd love to visit the alternate universe where Brian was a guest host on The Muppet Show in 1977.  I'm imagining he performed Ding Dang (duet with Animal) and Solar System.
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5280 on: November 17, 2014, 04:39:34 PM »

So while reading an ESQ from September of 1999, Matt Jardine was asked about what a fan would expect at a Friends and Family Show and he mentioned a few tunes such as Wild Honey, Til I Die, Surf's Up, and Be Here in the Morning. I know Mike/Bruce's band has done WH and Til I die, and Brian's band has obviously done those two plus Surf's Up, but did Al's Friends and Family Band perform Til I Die, Surfs Up, or Be Here in the Morning? I'm fairly certain they did Wild Honey on the Live in Las Vegas concert album. I know Eric's setlist site has some of the setlists for Al's shows, but has anyone else experienced any of Al's shows? What type of rare/deep album tracks did Al's group performed live? I know of the ones on the Las Vegas Live album, but did he expand upon that at any point? It'd be great if he performed stuff from his Postcard album, (like do a whole California Saga medley with Lookin down the Coast, Don't Fight the Sea, California Feeling, and maybe the Tidepool Interlude.)

At his "Postcard" release party at the Roxy in 2012, the setlist included "Lookin' At Tomorrow", "California Saga", "Wild Honey" (sung by Matt) and, of course, "Postcard From California" and "Don't Fight The Sea". Less rare, but still not your common jukebox fare, "I Can Hear Music", "You're So Good To Me", "Honkin' Down The Highway", and "Sail On, Sailor". IIRC, Billy & Bobby alternated the lead on that one, quite flawlessly.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5281 on: November 17, 2014, 06:44:42 PM »

Is "Sunflower Maiden" a real thing?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5282 on: November 17, 2014, 10:45:45 PM »

The third Redwood track, co-written by Brian and Van Dyke.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: November 18, 2014, 02:57:03 AM »

The third Redwood track, co-written by Brian and Van Dyke.

Any chance that will ever get recorded, or that at least more information will ever come out about it?

Also, I think someone mentioned at some point on here that "A Thing or Two" was (or was at least rumored) to be intended for Redwood.  Anyone know if there was ever any Redwood recording of that?  Admittedly, the one that we hear on Wild Honey sounds a lot more like the rest of the album, production-wise, than "Darlin'" does.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5284 on: November 18, 2014, 04:12:22 PM »

While hanging out on the Bellagio site, I was checking out the timeline and noticed the sessions for Wild Honey (single), Bluebirds Over the Mountain, and Aren't You Glad were took place (9/26/67 through 10/4/67), then Brian's sessions with Redwood for Time To Get Alone took place. So a few questions just about these facts from Andrew's site:

-I know Brian has credit for writing WH and AYG, but how involved was he with the production? I was thinking the credits were "produced by the BB" for the album.
-Did the Bluebirds from 1967 sound like the single/20/20 track we know now or did it have a Wild Honey type song? Though I figure Bruce produced it, it may not have been in that same style.
-During the Redwood sessions (10/14 & 10/15), TTGA was recorded, but was this when they recorded Darlin' or at least the track for Darlin'? I was thinking they might have did the instrumentation. I know I read about all of this years ago, but I can't remember what the source was.
-I wonder what Brian's inspiration for Time to Get Along was? It's not as much in the style of the R&B style as the Wild Honey album was. I feel like TTGA has a Smile-like production quality to it, especially Brian's early version with the horn section.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5285 on: November 19, 2014, 01:59:52 PM »

A few "My Diane" questions...

1) Was Brian Wilson involved in the revamping of "My Diane" in 1977?

2) On the demo version floating around, Dennis' vocal is single tracked. Did he recut the vocals in '77, or was there always a double tracked vocal on the original multitrack?

If there's one thing I'd love to hear on a future BB's rarities set, it would be a high quality version of the original demo (original vocal reverb intact!)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5286 on: November 19, 2014, 09:57:02 PM »

-I wonder what Brian's inspiration for Time to Get Along was?

"Time To Get Along" would be a great title for a final Beach Boys album. Smiley

Hey, I didn't know a version of "Bluebirds" was recorded for Wild Honey - is this a new information or did I miss that for a long time?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5287 on: November 19, 2014, 11:40:52 PM »

-I wonder what Brian's inspiration for Time to Get Along was?

"Time To Get Along" would be a great title for a final Beach Boys album. Smiley

Hey, I didn't know a version of "Bluebirds" was recorded for Wild Honey - is this a new information or did I miss that for a long time?

According to AGD's site there are two sessions for Bluebirds: 29/09/67 and 16/10/68. As 20/20 seems to be an album of 'stuff in the can' I wonder if they're the same recording rather than 16/10/68 being a remake?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5288 on: November 20, 2014, 12:15:33 AM »

Hello ? No one here bothered to read the footnote to the 9/29/67 entry ?

"A Bruce Johnston session"

That means... not a Beach Boys session. Bruce offered it to the band when they were looking for material on 20/20.

Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5289 on: November 20, 2014, 01:52:32 AM »

Hello ? No one here bothered to read the footnote to the 9/29/67 entry ?

"A Bruce Johnston session"

That means... not a Beach Boys session. Bruce offered it to the band when they were looking for material on 20/20.

Yes I read that and I thought it was obviously implied in my post about 20/20 being an odds and sods kind of album.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5290 on: November 24, 2014, 12:10:49 PM »

Is this really from 1964?  And how can I tell an original from the recent reissue?  Sorry if it's a dumb question.  Smiley

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Beach-Boys-Christmas-Album-Capitol-LP-NM-mono-shrink-wrapped-cover-1964-/331392283791?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item4d2884f48f
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5291 on: November 24, 2014, 12:22:09 PM »

looks original to me..... I have a couple of copies of it, but not handy to check..... but seems to tick all the boxes..

one thing to check is on the back bottom right hand corner where the RIAA logo is shown....the fact that it has that is good...

also, the number 6 there indicates which plant the record was pressed at..... I cant find the link right now, somebody else???,

which tells you exactly where that record was pressed...

the shrink and cover look correct, as is the inner sleeve.  the cardboard cover seems to appear as it should, as do the minor blemishes in the shrink wrap

..... so visually, without close up pics on other specifics.... this one I would say is good to go!!

RickB
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 12:27:49 PM by Rick Bartlett » Logged
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5292 on: November 24, 2014, 12:28:15 PM »

Thanks!
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #5293 on: November 24, 2014, 01:46:55 PM »

also, the number 6 there indicates which plant the record was pressed at..... I cant find the link right now, somebody else???,

which tells you exactly where that record was pressed...

RickB

In this link to a post in a thread is a link to a pdf with the good stuff:  http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,17723.msg456440.html#msg456440

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5294 on: November 24, 2014, 01:54:23 PM »

Thankyou Mr. Smith...... that's what I was looking and couldn't find...  Shocked

Cheers Man,

RickB
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5295 on: November 25, 2014, 10:51:47 AM »

Is this really from 1964?  And how can I tell an original from the recent reissue?  Sorry if it's a dumb question.  Smiley

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Beach-Boys-Christmas-Album-Capitol-LP-NM-mono-shrink-wrapped-cover-1964-/331392283791?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item4d2884f48f

Wow, a mono version at that!

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5296 on: November 28, 2014, 01:15:40 PM »

I've got an indepth question about a particular thing Brian used to do: using a tape recorder with his voice recordings of "yes, "no," and something else, I can't remember.

My particular questions are:
when was this used? how often?
Who was it used with? Capitol Records folks?
Was it just a one time thing?

My only sources are the eronious BB An American Family tv film (which I don't trust) and one of the BB/BW bios, which might have been Brian's WIBN My Own Story (which I don't trust either).

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5297 on: November 29, 2014, 08:38:20 AM »

I've got an indepth question about a particular thing Brian used to do: using a tape recorder with his voice recordings of "yes, "no," and something else, I can't remember.

My only sources are the eronious BB An American Family tv film (which I don't trust) and one of the BB/BW bios, which might have been Brian's WIBN My Own Story (which I don't trust either).

According to Leaf, Brian turned up to at least one Capitol meeting in the sixties with a collection of some eight tape loops, which included "yes", "no" and "that's a great idea".

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5298 on: November 29, 2014, 12:13:24 PM »

According to Leaf, Brian turned up to at least one Capitol meeting in the sixties with a collection of some eight tape loops, which included "yes", "no" and "that's a great idea".
That's brilliant!

Imagine when someone finds those tapes and wondering why there's one word answers...then realized it was Brian Wilson, King of One Word Answers...assuming he didn't record over those tapes.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 12:16:19 PM by punkinhead » Logged

~post of the century~
-Mikie

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5299 on: November 29, 2014, 03:00:34 PM »

I'd love t o sample them and put a beat behind them.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 209 210 211 [212] 213 214 215 216 217 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx