gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:17:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 and 43 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 208 209 210 [211] 212 213 214 215 216 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399173 times)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5250 on: October 17, 2014, 09:19:15 PM »

I'm not up to date on my copyright law - will there be a Big Beat 1964?
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5251 on: October 19, 2014, 12:05:03 PM »

Not nearly as bad as having a guided walk through an old state library and the guide pronouncing "Don Quijote" as "Don Kee-yotee". I wa tempted to ask "Isn't that the one with the roadrunner?"

Oh, that's how I pronounce the name. Is it wrong?

Listen to the sample of the Spanish way to pronounce it on the Wikipedia entry, that's much more helpful than me trying to transscribe it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:07:22 PM by Micha » Logged

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #5252 on: October 19, 2014, 03:38:03 PM »

Not nearly as bad as having a guided walk through an old state library and the guide pronouncing "Don Quijote" as "Don Kee-yotee". I wa tempted to ask "Isn't that the one with the roadrunner?"

Listen to the sample of the Spanish way to pronounce it on the Wikipedia entry, that's much more helpful than me trying to transscribe it.

Thanks, relieved to know I wasn't very far off. Seems the guide just rendered it very crudely. Incidentally in the Krazy Kat comic strip by George Herriman there was a coyote called "Don Kiyote".
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 03:19:01 PM by unreleased backgrounds » Logged

Please delete my account
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5253 on: October 19, 2014, 03:42:25 PM »

Thanks, relieved to know I wasn't very far off. Seems the guide just rendered it very crudely. Incidentally in the Krazy Kat comic strip by George Herriman there was a coyote called "Don Kiyote".

You know what's even worse than someone mispronouncing Don Quixote? Figuring out how to read this mess.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 03:45:42 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5254 on: October 20, 2014, 01:06:40 PM »

You know what's even worse than someone mispronouncing Don Quixote? Figuring out how to read this mess.

Yup, my fault. Sorry! Embarrassed

(This time I hit Preview before posting - good thing, I had gotten it wrong again...)

Krazy Kat rules. Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5255 on: October 22, 2014, 12:35:10 AM »

Am I the only one who notices a similarity between 'That's Why God Made the Radio' and 'Why' off of MIC?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5256 on: October 22, 2014, 06:47:27 AM »

I've been trying to play the awesome bass line that Brian plays during the tag of the piano versions of Surf's Up, just wanna check with anyone that I have the notes right, I'm not sure if I have that final descent right or not:

F-min7.....................C-min7....................Bb....................C-min7
F(low)....C...F(high)...F(low)....C...F(high)...Bb.....F.E.F.Bb.B.C......C.G.......C.Bb.A.Ab.G.F (and repeat).

How do others play it?

Bumping this, because I've been playing the Surf's Up piano tag for weeks. Is this correct?
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5257 on: October 22, 2014, 07:44:15 AM »

Am I the only one who notices a similarity between 'That's Why God Made the Radio' and 'Why' off of MIC?

I hear it too. Interesting to say the least! I'm not a trained musician but to my ears it does sound somewhat similar.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #5258 on: October 22, 2014, 08:31:55 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:00:53 PM by zatch » Logged
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5259 on: October 22, 2014, 10:11:12 AM »

I was watching the Largo 1977 video on Youtube and seeing Carl play piano made me think of a mental list of songs he played keyboards on live.

Off the top of my head

Surf's Up
Long Promised Road
Wild Honey ('72 and '73 tours)
Feel Flows
Wonderful / WonderBill
All This is That
Sail on Sailor
The Trader
Leaving This Town
We Got Love
Let the Wind Blow

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5260 on: October 22, 2014, 11:09:52 AM »

Caroline, No
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5261 on: October 25, 2014, 02:34:22 PM »

Is "I Don't Know" the first song Dennis wrote by himself?
(Barring "Denny's Drums")
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 02:39:56 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5262 on: October 27, 2014, 06:50:42 AM »

I've been trying to play the awesome bass line that Brian plays during the tag of the piano versions of Surf's Up, just wanna check with anyone that I have the notes right, I'm not sure if I have that final descent right or not:

F-min7.....................C-min7....................Bb....................C-min7
F(low)....C...F(high)...F(low)....C...F(high)...Bb.....F.E.F.Bb.B.C......C.G.......C.Bb.A.Ab.G.F (and repeat).

How do others play it?

Bumping this, because I've been playing the Surf's Up piano tag for weeks. Is this correct?

IIRC, though the Cm7 is implied, the right hand never actually plays a C note, and just plays the notes of Eb major, basically. And, it plays an Ab for one beat before switching to Bb. But the bassline looks right.

Edit: Come to think of it, the Fm7 doesn't have an F in the right hand either. All together, like this:

Ab...........................Eb...........................Ab..Bb..............Eb

Thanks!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5263 on: October 27, 2014, 02:48:34 PM »

I seem to recall there being a Youtube video of "California Saga" from one of the C50 shows in which Brian sang his extra response parts from the 45 version.

Anyone else remember this, and if so, at which show it took place?
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5264 on: October 27, 2014, 03:53:51 PM »

How do others play it?

IIRC, though the Cm7 is implied, the right hand never actually plays a C note, and just plays the notes of Eb major, basically. And, it plays an Ab for one beat before switching to Bb. But the bassline looks right.

Edit: Come to think of it, the Fm7 doesn't have an F in the right hand either. All together, like this:

Ab...........................Eb...........................Ab..Bb..............Eb

Thanks!

Nice one Zach

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
zachrwolfe
« Reply #5265 on: October 27, 2014, 08:04:48 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:00:33 PM by zatch » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5266 on: October 29, 2014, 09:02:45 AM »

I'm thinking of creating an inventory of my Beach Boys collection, including everything from vinyl to CDs to books, magazines, tour programs and what not. Has anyone else done this? I know it's gonna be a lengthy process getting it done (between work & life), but I'm really eager to do it. Would Excel be the best program for this? Anyone interested in seeing it once I'm done?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5267 on: October 29, 2014, 11:35:36 AM »

I'm thinking of creating an inventory of my Beach Boys collection, including everything from vinyl to CDs to books, magazines, tour programs and what not. Has anyone else done this? I know it's gonna be a lengthy process getting it done (between work & life), but I'm really eager to do it. Would Excel be the best program for this? Anyone interested in seeing it once I'm done?

I did this about two and a half years ago, on Excel, with different sheets for different categories. I was working on a making a vinyl discography for another project and figured while I was at it I might as well catalog everything. I've actually never looked at it since, and really should update it. It was neat seeing it all come together though.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #5268 on: October 29, 2014, 02:22:27 PM »

I have mine entered in LibreOffice Calc, in conjunction with a photo database. A great way to keep track of items, thus avoiding doubling up Grin

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5269 on: October 29, 2014, 02:43:30 PM »

I have mine entered in LibreOffice Calc, in conjunction with a photo database. A great way to keep track of items, thus avoiding doubling up Grin

If I get LibreOffice Calc will you come over and enter all my stuff? 
 I think it's probably more than I'm up for...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #5270 on: October 29, 2014, 11:19:10 PM »

If I get LibreOffice Calc will you come over and enter all my stuff? 
 I think it's probably more than I'm up for...

Somehow I don't think that entering data into a spreadsheet would figure if I came over to see your collection. Besides, I have enough data entry chores of my own to contend with Grin

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5271 on: November 06, 2014, 09:11:40 AM »

Is Soul Searchin' and You're Still a Mystery the last known songs with Carl on them?
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5272 on: November 06, 2014, 11:12:48 AM »

Is Soul Searchin' and You're Still a Mystery the last known songs with Carl on them?

The last "Beach Boys" tracks, I believe. However, Carl recorded material for this album as well...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Like_a_Brother
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5273 on: November 06, 2014, 11:32:45 AM »

The last "Beach Boys" tracks, I believe. However, Carl recorded material for this album as well...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Like_a_Brother

Wow, I didn't even know this album existed!  Can't wait to take a listen.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5274 on: November 06, 2014, 05:41:48 PM »

In regards to the original LPs, is Pet Sounds a good place to start buying them in stereo? 
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 208 209 210 [211] 212 213 214 215 216 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx