gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 08:47:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 206 207 208 [209] 210 211 212 213 214 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1405776 times)
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5200 on: September 29, 2014, 01:08:12 PM »

Ok, thanks.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5201 on: September 29, 2014, 01:11:38 PM »

Bought it on Amazon Uk… grey area release, not the greatest quality. Second-guessing various reviews if seems some copies might be better quality than others.

Still there… one copy left!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00E65Q8EM/

“We live in divisive times.”
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5202 on: September 29, 2014, 01:29:15 PM »

Is there anyplace I can get the C50 Japan show or do I have to get it off of Youtube?
No official way to get a digital copy, I guess.. I got it off Youtube, too.

Love that show...anyone knows why it wasnt officially released? Its way more energetic and the band is in more top form that the actual C50 video

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #5203 on: September 29, 2014, 01:35:14 PM »

Is there anyplace I can get the C50 Japan show or do I have to get it off of Youtube?
No official way to get a digital copy, I guess.. I got it off Youtube, too.

Love that show...anyone knows why it wasnt officially released? Its way more energetic and the band is in more top form that the actual C50 video
Well, it kind of was officially released.. just not for the home media mass market. Undecided And you're damn right with that assessment, of course. Not only form, but the organic mix and post-production of Live in Japan don't even compare to that official atrocity of sterility. Tongue
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5204 on: October 01, 2014, 05:15:36 PM »

Was recently reading a couple of interviews from ESQ 98, one with Richie Canata and one with John Stamos...they both mention the way Carl used to give a "stink eye" whenever any of the playing band members played a wrong note or flubbed up their playing...I also recall Billy Hinsche (on the Endless Harmony doc) talking about getting a look from Carl whenever the same occurred.

My question, is there any video evidence or concert footage of this happening? I'd be interested to hear about when that was in their career, I imagine in the 80s or 90s.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5205 on: October 04, 2014, 05:35:22 AM »

This is probably a silly question, but there were a few Surfin' Safari reissues released because of the 50 year copyright expiration.  How come other albums didn't follow?  We should be up to All Summer Long already.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5206 on: October 04, 2014, 08:15:21 AM »

This is probably a silly question, but there were a few Surfin' Safari reissues released because of the 50 year copyright expiration.  How come other albums didn't follow?  We should be up to All Summer Long already.

I read somewhere that the copyright law had been changed. According to Wikipedia, on November 1, 2013, the copyright for sound recordings were extended to 70 years. Everything in the public domain is still in the public domain though.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5207 on: October 04, 2014, 09:06:40 AM »

I read somewhere that the copyright law had been changed. According to Wikipedia, on November 1, 2013, the copyright for sound recordings were extended to 70 years. Everything in the public domain is still in the public domain though.
So would that reissue of Surfin Safari be worth much?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5208 on: October 04, 2014, 09:40:13 AM »

So would that reissue of Surfin Safari be worth much?

There are at least half a dozen vinyl reissues on Amazon, priced between Ł9 and Ł14 (approx) via resellers. I'm guessing they're needle drops (the accompanying CD versions seem to be) and I reckon in a few years they'll be worth at least, oh, f*** all.

“We live in divisive times.”
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5209 on: October 04, 2014, 11:43:17 AM »

Who are the backup vocalists on Wouldn't it be nice to live again? I keep hearing Blondie but he hadn't joined yet. That was Carl, right?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5210 on: October 04, 2014, 01:46:35 PM »

Who are the backup vocalists on Wouldn't it be nice to live again? I keep hearing Blondie but he hadn't joined yet. That was Carl, right?

I think the yeah's near the end are Brian and Carl. I deffinetly hear Mike during "do ya think we can live again?" as well.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5211 on: October 04, 2014, 02:10:06 PM »

Ahh...yeah, I figured that part was Carl. He sounded a bit like Blondie in the way he was singing...love that tag.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5212 on: October 04, 2014, 02:43:09 PM »

Where did the writers, researchers, and all around huge fans such as Brad Elliot, David Leaf, and Dominic Priore disappear to? Having become a bigger fan in early 2000, I read so much of their stuff (from previous years and decades) and looked up to them (among other current writers, researchers, fans such as Andrew Doe, Alan Boyd, etc).

I feel like the last I've seen them active was:
David Leaf- Beautiful Dreamer & Who is Harry Nilsson
Dominic Priore- his Smile book (not LLVS, the post BWPS book)
Brad Elliot- his old website

~post of the century~
-Mikie

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5213 on: October 04, 2014, 03:04:41 PM »

Here's a name from the past I... always wonder what happened to Dave Prokopy!

Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5214 on: October 04, 2014, 04:41:36 PM »

Definitely Brian and Carl.

Watch out for snakes!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5215 on: October 04, 2014, 05:29:43 PM »

Definitely Brian and Carl.

I hear Brian on the "oohs", but the final tag with the "yeahs"....pretty sure that's two Carls. And as mentioned, Mike on "do you think we can live again".

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5216 on: October 04, 2014, 06:51:05 PM »

Re: punkinhead question. In my concert book with Jon we have an interview with Ron altbach where he discusses his first shows in 1974. If you look at you'll see that he discusses Carl giving him the "stink eye" but in that particular case it may have been more of an inter-band squabble than anything altbach actually did
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5217 on: October 04, 2014, 10:01:36 PM »

Re: punkinhead question. In my concert book with Jon we have an interview with Ron altbach where he discusses his first shows in 1974. If you look at you'll see that he discusses Carl giving him the "stink eye" but in that particular case it may have been more of an inter-band squabble than anything altbach actually did
Ah I see, perhaps Altbach was seen as a Mike Love camper rather than just Beach Boys tour band member or Wilson camp.

I'm getting through the book, slowly but surely...I'm also reading back issues of ESQ from 94 to present, so it's def tough! I'm in the middle of 1998 in ESQ...I'm in the middle of 1966 in your book.

Any future Beach Boys projects coming up that you're working on or that you know of?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5218 on: October 04, 2014, 10:04:37 PM »

Here's a name from the past I... always wonder what happened to Dave Prokopy!
I've printed and read his "Prokopy Notes" which were great back on the day!
What is he known for? Other writings? Past Message board frequenter? All around good guy/fan?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5219 on: October 04, 2014, 10:47:15 PM »

Made some great tape sets back in the day. During my early days of fandom I used to see his name mentioned all the time...hadn't heard anything about him in years and years.

Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5220 on: October 05, 2014, 01:35:01 PM »

Ah, cheers.  Well, that's fair, I guess, seeing as so many are still going these days.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5221 on: October 06, 2014, 02:26:44 PM »

Was there ever any animosity towards Brian from any members of the Wrecking Crew? I was listening back to the "California Girls" session where he has them do more than 40 takes and I can imagine some people probably got frustrated at a certain point. Although, they all seem to be in good spirits during recording, and they probably knew what they were getting into at this point. I don't think I've ever read anyone from the Wrecking Crew say a bad thing about Brian, but I'd be interested to see otherwise.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #5222 on: October 06, 2014, 02:34:11 PM »

Was there ever any animosity towards Brian from any members of the Wrecking Crew? I was listening back to the "California Girls" session where he has them do more than 40 takes and I can imagine some people probably got frustrated at a certain point. Although, they all seem to be in good spirits during recording, and they probably knew what they were getting into at this point. I don't think I've ever read anyone from the Wrecking Crew say a bad thing about Brian, but I'd be interested to see otherwise.

Carol Kaye, on the BW Songwriter DVD, talks about how Brian had the Crew play a song over and over again (part of me wants to say it was 'Help Me Rhonda, but I could be wrong), because Brian was showing it to people over the phone or something. At the end of the session Carol gave Brian the middle finger as she walked out. She said that after that Brian never really wasted their time again.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 02:35:03 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5223 on: October 07, 2014, 12:46:08 AM »

I do think that sessions like California Girls and other more elaborate productions from that period led Brian to gravitate toward a modular method of recording as a way of avoiding those overly long sessions.  I doubt the musicians minded much being paid overtime, but doing anything over and over can be tedious.  Especially with California Girls where it was the intro hanging everything up.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5224 on: October 07, 2014, 02:26:09 AM »

Carol Kaye, on the BW Songwriter DVD, talks about how Brian had the Crew play a song over and over again (part of me wants to say it was 'Help Me Rhonda, but I could be wrong), because Brian was showing it to people over the phone or something. At the end of the session Carol gave Brian the middle finger as she walked out. She said that after that Brian never really wasted their time again.

Two observations.

1. Brian (OK, Capitol) was paying for the session so it was none of her business how long it took and what Brian did...

2. In the (admittedly unreliable) book The Wrecking Crew, she's interviewed and states it was a "Rhonda" session, but the author states it was the infamous Murry-interrupted session... which of course, was purely vocal, so someone's got it way wrong.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 206 207 208 [209] 210 211 212 213 214 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx