gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:06:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 204 205 206 [207] 208 209 210 211 212 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399860 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5150 on: September 08, 2014, 11:37:58 PM »

The very same, and she's a great person. Not at all a dumb question.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5151 on: September 08, 2014, 11:49:08 PM »

Yeah, she's a dear, which makes it all the more infuriating that Nick Bent did a complete character assassination on her in his shitload of a book.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
mysticmoon1993
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5152 on: September 10, 2014, 03:01:23 PM »

Thanks for responding, guys.

I actually came across her old posts right after I posted the question, one in which she mentioned being an astrologer. Shame people've tried to make her out to be a bad person-- she had a lot of good thing to say on this board (including in the Love & Mercy thread!)
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5153 on: September 10, 2014, 06:39:42 PM »

Can someone please click on the link and tell me if the video is blocked?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fbNxH0_9C8
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5154 on: September 10, 2014, 06:43:11 PM »

It is. Sorry.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5155 on: September 10, 2014, 06:44:44 PM »

It is. Sorry.
Yep, NBC blocked it due to copyright infringement.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5156 on: September 10, 2014, 06:46:46 PM »

Thanks.  Is there anyway I can get around that?  It seems like there are endless videos out there that should be blocked by someone, but aren't.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5157 on: September 11, 2014, 04:06:49 AM »

While listening to the Hallmark BB Songs from Here and Back...I got to thinking, what's everyone's favorite version of the  Spirit of Rock and Roll?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #5158 on: September 11, 2014, 10:18:45 AM »

The one with Dylan.

To be honest, I don't like the song at all. It's a thing of its time.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5159 on: September 11, 2014, 11:17:30 AM »

The Dylan one. So corny, but I kinda like it (and feel deep guilt because of that).

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5160 on: September 11, 2014, 11:31:57 AM »

Any version BUT the Hallmark version...I'd rank near the bottom of BW songs ever, just slightly above the hideous Speed Turtle.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5161 on: September 11, 2014, 12:10:24 PM »

I have a copy of the complete live (mouthed) version from the 25th Anniversary special. That is still my favorite. I too rank the Hallmark version at the bottom.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5162 on: September 11, 2014, 02:24:22 PM »

Thats so interesting, ive never read anything positive about the Hallmark version of Spirit of R&R...i dont mind it, iike the "wall of Brians" at the beginning, but for some reason, the drumming realy bugs me...whats everyone else's beef with that version?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5163 on: September 11, 2014, 02:37:21 PM »

So i was just reading an interview with David Marks from the December 1998 issue pf ESQ and while he was discussing Murry's writing of Two Step Side Step, he mentioned that Murry "got ripped off when he wrote the Tennessee Waltz and else got credit for it." That was from ESQ VOL 12, Number 1, Issue No. 45, 12/1998.

So is this the Tennessee Waltz we all know and love as a country standard?
Has this story been revealed anywhere else? Ive honestly never heard that before.
If its true, it definitely makes Brian's recording of TW with Spring seem a little more sincere.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5164 on: September 11, 2014, 02:50:43 PM »

Thats so interesting, ive never read anything positive about the Hallmark version of Spirit of R&R...i dont mind it, iike the "wall of Brians" at the beginning, but for some reason, the drumming realy bugs me...whats everyone else's beef with that version?
  The tempo, the off-key opening, the arrangement, Brian's vocals. Other than that, it's not half tepid.

ThisWholeWorld
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #5165 on: September 12, 2014, 05:34:22 AM »

In Ian MacDonald's book 'Revolution in the Head' he claims that The Beatles deliberately avoided fade-out endings (especially on their early records). However, when thinking about endings I realised that 'Our Prayer' and 'Girl Don't Tell Me' were the only BB songs I could immediately think of that don't fade out, any reason why Brian/the band used Fade-Outs so often?

Sorry, I know it's a pretty off the wall question
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5166 on: September 12, 2014, 02:36:55 PM »

In Ian MacDonald's book 'Revolution in the Head' he claims that The Beatles deliberately avoided fade-out endings (especially on their early records). However, when thinking about endings I realised that 'Our Prayer' and 'Girl Don't Tell Me' were the only BB songs I could immediately think of that don't fade out, any reason why Brian/the band used Fade-Outs so often?

Off the Wall questions and others like this are what this thread is all about! I love reading everyone's questions, however big or little or detailed or vague. Bring em on!

But to answer your question, I have no idea. 😉

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5167 on: September 12, 2014, 03:22:58 PM »

I have a question about the late 70s Mike Love song Trisha.....did Mike just listen to Sherry She Needs Me (using it as a direct influence) or was it just merely a coincidence that the song sounded exactly like the former?

Furthermore, was Trisha recorded for a solo album (First/Country Love? Proposed for Celebration?) Beach Boy's project? Are there any other familiar voices on the song?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5168 on: September 12, 2014, 05:35:05 PM »

Try this one:  http://vimeo.com/41798109
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5169 on: September 12, 2014, 06:55:59 PM »

I have a question about the late 70s Mike Love song Trisha.....did Mike just listen to Sherry She Needs Me (using it as a direct influence) or was it just merely a coincidence that the song sounded exactly like the former?

Furthermore, was Trisha recorded for a solo album (First/Country Love? Proposed for Celebration?) Beach Boy's project? Are there any other familiar voices on the song?

I'm pretty sure Carl is on Trisha. Same with Brian's Back.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5170 on: September 12, 2014, 07:09:50 PM »

I think it was for First Love, but not 100% sure.

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5171 on: September 12, 2014, 09:35:10 PM »

It probably has a lot to do with how Brian tends to end songs by resting between two or three chords. He is the kind of guy who can spend hours at a piano listening to just a chord because of how it feels. That habit just happened to find itself in the compositions. Only speculating.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5172 on: September 12, 2014, 10:22:23 PM »

Brian nearly always let takes "break down" (both instrumentally and vocally) and never seemed to have any desire for the group or the studio musicians he worked with to create a cold ending.

IMO Girl Don't Tell Me is a nod to The Beatles. It is a very slight musical rewrite of Ticket To Ride and one of the few BB songs (besides the Party! album) to feature an acoustic guitar, overall the production is very Beatley.  The cold ending was probably deliberately done to sound more like a Beatles song.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5173 on: September 12, 2014, 11:08:05 PM »

ThisWholeWorld's "fades" question took me back 38 years to when I started listening to the Beach Boys. The fades added an element of mystery to many of the songs, as I was left wondering what the song did after it had faded away on the disc. Especially tracks like California Girls - in some alternate universe, was Hal Blaine still finding an infinite number of ways to delver those last repetitive bars? Beyond the fade, did the song continue for another few verses that we'd never get to hear? In a way the SoT session boots answered that and at the same time spoiled the mystery element, with the exception of Heroes, which apparently did go on eternally!

“We live in divisive times.”
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #5174 on: September 13, 2014, 01:50:02 AM »

There's not many, but these sprung to mind:
I Went To Sleep. A Young Man Is Gone. Wonderful. Our Sweet Love. Don't Go Near The Water. California. Roller Skating Child. Lady Lynda. Be Here In The Morning. Life Is For The Living.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 204 205 206 [207] 208 209 210 211 212 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx