gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:02:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 (+ 1 Hidden) and 50 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 201 202 203 [204] 205 206 207 208 209 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399374 times)
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5075 on: August 22, 2014, 12:30:17 PM »

Was Knebworth 80 the very last show to feature all three of the Wilsons?  If not, what show was?

"Jeff, you care." --BW
beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5076 on: August 22, 2014, 01:03:42 PM »

Was Knebworth 80 the very last show to feature all three of the Wilsons?  If not, what show was?

Certainly not, there are videos of later concerts where you can see the 3 Wilsons playing together. Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbLx5Y5zRww

I think Knebworth was the last appearence of the 6 members outside US.

Edit: don't know exactly wich was their last concert together.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 01:04:58 PM by beacharg » Logged
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5077 on: August 22, 2014, 03:36:53 PM »

Thanks, beacharg!  That's a great clip!  I think you're right about Knebworth being the last show in the UK, at least. 

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5078 on: August 22, 2014, 10:12:48 PM »

As far as we know, the last full show that all six played was August 3rd 1983 at Pacific Amphitheater, Costa Mesa CA. Thereafter either Brian, Dennis or more often both were absent.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 10:13:57 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #5079 on: August 23, 2014, 08:13:29 AM »

Edit : decided it fits better in the sandbox "Pet Peeves" thread
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 08:14:34 AM by unreleased backgrounds » Logged

Please delete my account
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5080 on: August 23, 2014, 07:56:02 PM »

Who is the fine gentleman pcitured here with Al Jardine?

Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5081 on: August 24, 2014, 10:36:36 AM »

As far as we know, the last full show that all six played was August 3rd 1983 at Pacific Amphitheater, Costa Mesa CA. Thereafter either Brian, Dennis or more often both were absent.

Thanks, AGD! 

"Jeff, you care." --BW
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5082 on: August 24, 2014, 11:45:47 AM »

the last, and for all i know, only time the six bb's played denmark was at the tivoli gardens in copenhagen, on june 4, 1980. i didn't go, because i wasn't a fan yet.

here's the set list from that historic evening:

1.California Girls Play Video
2.Sloop John B Play Video
(Brian/Mike/Carl)
3.Darlin' Play Video
4.School Days Play Video
(Chuck Berry cover)
5.In My Room Play Video
6.Good Timin' Play Video
7.Some of Your Love Play Video
8.Keepin' the Summer Alive Play Video
9.Do It Again Play Video
10.Little Deuce Coupe Play Video
11.Catch a Wave Play Video
12.Lady Lynda Play Video
13.Surfer Girl Play Video
14.Cotton Fields Play Video
(Lead Belly cover)
15.Heroes and Villains Play Video
16.Long Tall Texan Play Video
(Jerry Woodard cover)
17.Be True to Your School Play Video
18.Wouldn't It Be Nice Play Video
19.Help Me, Rhonda Play Video
20.Rock and Roll Music Play Video
(Chuck Berry cover)
21.I Get Around Play Video
22.Surfin' U.S.A. Play Video
Encore:
23.You Are So Beautiful Play Video
(Billy Preston cover)
24.Good Vibrations Play Video
25.Barbara Ann Play Video
(The Regents cover)
26.Fun, Fun, Fun Play Video
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5083 on: August 25, 2014, 06:11:44 PM »

So anyone know of a Beach Boys concert video/boot labeled Vets Day Concert 2001?
I've got it from a friend on VHS, it's not great quality and I've searched around setlists sites, boot sites, and random search engines and can't find anything about it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 05:27:30 PM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #5084 on: August 27, 2014, 11:38:52 AM »

Just when you thought you'd heard pretty much everything...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAGARvThO58

Any background info on Daddy Dear would be much appreciated? Is this a widely known song (among hardcore fans) which I've somehow missed?
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5085 on: August 27, 2014, 12:43:49 PM »

Any background info on Daddy Dear would be much appreciated? Is this a widely known song (among hardcore fans) which I've somehow missed?

It was a demo made around the time of the Holland album. It's pretty well-known, although it was hard to find for a while.
There's a disagreement about who's actually singing/playing. Sounds like Brian to me, but other's (AGD included) say it's Al.
There's a thread dedicated to the song around here somewhere.
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: August 27, 2014, 01:52:40 PM »

It's a song written by Wayne Shanklin that's gone by a lot of titles; it's as often known as "Little Child" as "Daddy Dear".  In fact, the earliest recording of it that I'm aware of (by Frankie Laine and Jimmy Boyd) goes by the title of "The Little Boy And The Old Man":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2-BchYMSsY

One of the most famous recordings of it is by Danny (and Dena) Kaye:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nTj9mZLVEA

Eddie Constantine's version, "L'homme et L'enfant", was a no. 1 hit in France!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bJWnCiTsGM

It's featured (and now named as "Mommy Dear") in the film The Naked Kiss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyTJZ_e6Y-8

Other notable versions are by Wes Montgomery, Robert Wyatt and Marilyn Manson!  Though not as a trio, disappointingly.  And then there's that version you linked to, which is totally Al Jardine whatever anyone else may tell you.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5087 on: August 27, 2014, 03:00:42 PM »

It was a demo made around the time of the Holland album. It's pretty well-known, although it was hard to find for a while.
There's a disagreement about who's actually singing/playing. Sounds like Brian to me, but other's (AGD included) say it's Al.

The background: Brian borrowed a tape recorder from someone while in Laren in 1972, and when it was given back, the owner found this at the end of the reel. So, the facts are...

1 - Brian borrowed it.
2 - there are two people on the tape
3 - the songs are "Daddy Dear" and "Susie Cincinnati".

After that, it gets confusing. To my ears, no-one, but no-one says "gosh darned" that way except Alan (Brian, frankly, would swear)... I don't really see why Brian would play a song that's not his... Alan on the other hand surely would know such a song as "Daddy Dear"... Alan can sound a helluva lot like Brian.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5088 on: August 27, 2014, 03:20:35 PM »

The background: Brian borrowed a tape recorder from someone while in Laren in 1972, and when it was given back, the owner found this at the end of the reel. So, the facts are...

1 - Brian borrowed it.

After that, it gets confusing. To my ears, no-one, but no-one says "gosh darned" that way except Alan (Brian, frankly, would swear)... I don't really see why Brian would play a song that's not his... Alan on the other hand surely would know such a song as "Daddy Dear"... Alan can sound a helluva lot like Brian.

Well, he does swear. He says "sh*t" pretty clearly at 0:13. The way the person hits the notes in his falsetto at around 1:00, the person's lower range vocals, and the speaking voice all sound just like Brian to me, and I've never confused Brian and Al before when paying attention, for whatever that's worth. Also, he says "then it goes" multiple times throughout the tape, which you can also hear Brian saying on the "Fairytale" demo on Get the Boot.

Someone, I think hypehat, mentioned to me that he thought it was two different people. So, when you listen to it with that perspective, I think it almost works. What if that second person/whistler is Alan? What if, after Brian finishes his song, Al sits down and records his own song? The "sorry" just before the break in the two recordings sounds like Al to me.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5089 on: August 27, 2014, 05:28:53 PM »

There are two people on that tape.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #5090 on: August 27, 2014, 06:14:57 PM »

Thanks all. These new discoveries - all part of the fun of being a BB obsessive.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5091 on: August 28, 2014, 02:35:45 AM »

1 - Brian borrowed it.

Well, he does swear. He says "sh*t" pretty clearly at 0:13. The way the person hits the notes in his falsetto at around 1:00, the person's lower range vocals, and the speaking voice all sound just like Brian to me, and I've never confused Brian and Al before when paying attention, for whatever that's worth. Also, he says "then it goes" multiple times throughout the tape, which you can also hear Brian saying on the "Fairytale" demo on Get the Boot.

Someone, I think hypehat, mentioned to me that he thought it was two different people. So, when you listen to it with that perspective, I think it almost works. What if that second person/whistler is Alan? What if, after Brian finishes his song, Al sits down and records his own song? The "sorry" just before the break in the two recordings sounds like Al to me.

I think it sounds like Brian doing both songs. It sounds like Brian is learning/rehearsing SC. Wasn't the original plan in Holland for the BBs to tour Europe to subsidise the expensive move? Would Brian not have been expected to tour? Would Brian have been expected to play piano/keyboard on tour? Wouldn't Brian then need to learn the more recent songs? Wouldn't Susie Cincinnati have been a fun rockier kind of song to play in concert? or maybe he's just playing it for fun.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #5092 on: August 28, 2014, 06:25:56 AM »

Who is the fine gentleman pcitured here with Al Jardine?

It's Chuck Williams: http://www.maybellinebook.com/2011/07/beach-boy-al-jardine-and-chuck-williams.html

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5093 on: August 28, 2014, 02:00:35 PM »

FWIW, Daddy Dear sounds 100% like Brian to me, not only when he's singing, but especially when he's speaking.  In addition to Brian's thinning falsetto, in parts I also hear some emerging elements of BW's deeper Love You voice.  After Daddy Dear, the tape recorder stops and restarts at 1:51 and 2:37.  Susie Cincinnati also sounds like Brian to me, but it's possible Al is in there at parts, as you can hear two voices speaking at the end of Daddy Dear and two or three at the end of Susie.

CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5094 on: August 30, 2014, 02:31:26 PM »

I was thinking about my favourite song earlier and wondered, if Time To Get Alone was on Pet Sounds would it have more praise from us 'hardcore' fans and the general public? It just seems a bit of a waste on 20/20. I personally love the album and it's probably become my fave album but it doesn't get the recognition it deserves in my opinion.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5095 on: August 30, 2014, 07:01:23 PM »

FWIW, Daddy Dear sounds 100% like Brian to me, not only when he's singing, but especially when he's speaking.  In addition to Brian's thinning falsetto, in parts I also hear some emerging elements of BW's deeper Love You voice.  After Daddy Dear, the tape recorder stops and restarts at 1:51 and 2:37.  Susie Cincinnati also sounds like Brian to me, but it's possible Al is in there at parts, as you can hear two voices speaking at the end of Daddy Dear and two or three at the end of Susie.

Two people singing at various times on Daddy Dear.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Capitol Punishment
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5096 on: August 30, 2014, 08:32:32 PM »

It sounds like Brian is the one singing on Daddy Dear (though it could be Al too) and you can kind of hear Brian's smoker-voice when he sings "lonely four birds". I think Al is the one singing on Susie though and also talks on Daddy Dear. Brian saying "and then it goes" constantly reminds me a lot of the H&V demo from November '66. This tape is very neat though.

"I like food" -Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5097 on: August 30, 2014, 08:46:00 PM »

What makes it really obvious is that there is more than one person on it is the whistling while the singing, and the fact that the phrasing changes part of the way through. The first 'children could fly' part is NOT Brian, as his voice did not have that timbre at any point of his life, and it matches the Susie Cincinnati clip as well. The odd part is, if you listen closely on headphones, they are actually trading lines. If you listen closely too, you can hear Carl say something at the very end. I wouldn't doubt that that is indeed Brian on piano, though.

Here's any easy way to tell which parts are indeed Alan's...listen to the full Out In the Country and you hear Al's higher parts sound much the same. Brian's on there too on the higher parts, and he sounds little like the previous track...and it was done around the same time.

But yeah, the parts you do hear Brian on , and speaking wise, he does sound like a clearer version of his later self, which he pretty much did on So Tough as well.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 08:50:41 PM by Solid Snake » Logged

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5098 on: August 30, 2014, 09:05:38 PM »

I have no doubt in my mind that it's Brian doing all the singing on the tape. Although I can see why some people may not hear it. There's hardly any BW vocals in existence from 1972, so it's weird to hear his voice sounding all over the place in terms of eras. A little bit of late 60's BW, Sunflower BW, 15 BO BW...

As far as Susie Cincinnati.... just think Breakaway demo. Same guy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5099 on: August 30, 2014, 09:21:33 PM »

It's not, though...there's more than one voice on the tape, singing and otherwise. Listen on headphones, there are at least two times where they trade lines after '...and it goes', which pops up several times. Despite what has been said before previously about it only being Al, Brian clearly is singing much of it...however, Al is very audible on it as well.  One of the 'oh little one' is indeed Al, sounding exactly like he did on Out In the Country. Couldn't be Brian, unless Al is a master ventriloquist, as Brian is audible at the same time (Brian is the last part, with Al going MMMHMM). Carl is present although not singing. Somebody else is present as well, but not sure who.

It is indeed Al on the second part of the tape, with Susie Cincinnati, according to Al himself (although, truth be told, his memory isn't always the greatest). The funny part of the story, on why a completely random attempt at Susie would pop up? Because the Daddy Dear clip was recording over it! LOL

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 201 202 203 [204] 205 206 207 208 209 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx