gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:30:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 (+ 1 Hidden) and 59 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 191 192 193 [194] 195 196 197 198 199 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399456 times)
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #4825 on: April 20, 2014, 02:13:11 PM »

Does anybody know where this quote comes from?

"There will always be a Beach Boys. Being a Beach Boy is like being in love."
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/d/denniswils181610.html#7SWdgF5CK72elG1y.99
I always attributed that to Dennis. Could be wrong, of course.
Well, yeah that's what the site says too, but is that quote legit? Or did someone just make that up? I think it's a great quote and would like to find about it's origins. Google search didn't help me so I thought maybe someone here would know more?

Hmmm....  Did you follow every link at google?  Two in particular, Dan Adington: http://www.danaddington.com/denny/quotes.html  and Badman ( referncing the Los Angeles Times): http://tinyurl.com/n3tcqx5   ( page 370 if you have the book) 
Thanks! And yep, I suck at searching...
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4826 on: April 21, 2014, 12:57:36 AM »

What songs from Brian's Gershwin and Disney albums were performed live by him and his band?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 12:59:22 AM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #4827 on: April 21, 2014, 02:06:37 AM »

All the Gershwin album.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4828 on: April 21, 2014, 02:08:49 AM »

What songs from Brian's Gershwin and Disney albums were performed live by him and his band?

All the Gershwin album.

+
Your Imagination (112)
Lay Down Burden (62)
South American (33)

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: April 21, 2014, 10:18:16 AM »

All the Gershwin album.

+
Your Imagination (112)
Lay Down Burden (62)
South American (33)

What part on the Disney album were these?

“We live in divisive times.”
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4830 on: April 21, 2014, 06:31:46 PM »

All the Gershwin album.

+
Your Imagination (112)
Lay Down Burden (62)
South American (33)

None. They were from Imagination.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: April 22, 2014, 08:34:58 AM »

So none of the Disney album was ever played live? That surprises me, I would at least expect You've Got a Friend in Me and Yo Ho Yo Ho/The Pirates Life for Me to have been played once or so.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #4832 on: April 22, 2014, 09:09:20 AM »

So none of the Disney album was ever played live? That surprises me, I would at least expect You've Got a Friend in Me and Yo Ho Yo Ho/The Pirates Life for Me to have been played once or so.
Nope, none of it. Undecided For me it would be "Bare Necessities".. 3D
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4833 on: April 23, 2014, 04:17:40 AM »

All the Gershwin album.

+
Your Imagination (112)
Lay Down Burden (62)
South American (33)

None. They were from Imagination.

Careless mistake   Wall

Bare Necessities would make a GREAT addition to Brian's setlists.

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: April 23, 2014, 04:27:37 AM »

it would now seem the Brian/Disney project was a complete 'flop'........

darn, I would have at least loved a vinyl release.....

it does have some good recordings on it to boot!

RickB
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: April 23, 2014, 06:33:20 AM »

When You Wish Upon a Star would've made the most sense to me.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4836 on: April 24, 2014, 02:02:35 PM »

Baby Mine, if Brian could sing it anywhere near like it was on the album.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: April 26, 2014, 07:19:51 PM »

Not really a question but I wanted to mention that I FINALLY heard Marilyn's vocals on Busy Doin Nothin, flipping brilliant the way it was mixed together with Brian's vocals. Am I right in saying that she's on the chorus, like the "take all the time you need..." part? And I was thinking only on the last 2 choruses? I might not have heard it all...I had to have headphones and close my eyes to work it out.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4838 on: April 30, 2014, 09:34:29 PM »

I was reading an issue of Endless Summer Quarterly from June of 1995 and part of the news and updates went on to say that Tom Petty had Diamond Head in his setlist "recently". Anyone know if there's a recording of this "out there"? I'm not a big Tom Petty fan, so I wouldn't know. Interesting to note though.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: April 30, 2014, 10:30:46 PM »

I was reading an issue of Endless Summer Quarterly from June of 1995 and part of the news and updates went on to say that Tom Petty had Diamond Head in his setlist "recently". Anyone know if there's a recording of this "out there"? I'm not a big Tom Petty fan, so I wouldn't know. Interesting to note though.

TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS / Saving Grace = 164min & 124min C060828 NORTHERN (2DVDR)(164/124分) DISC 1: "United Center, Chicago, IL March 8 1995" Love Is A Long Road / You Don't Know How It Feels / Listen To Her Heart / I Won't Back Down / Free Fallin' / You Wreck Me / Diamond Head / Mary Jane's Last Dance / Into The Great Wide Open / Learning To Fly / Don't Fade On Me / Girl On LSD / I Just Wanna Make Love To You / Wildflowers / Yer So Bad / It's Good Too Be King / Breakdown / Driving Down To Georgia / Refugee / Runnin' Down A Dream / Honey Bee / American Girl / Alright For Now "VH1 Storytellers, Burbank, California May 31 1999" I Won't Back Down / Story: Introduction / Free Fallin' / Story: The Joint / You Don't Know How It Feels / Story: You Rock Me / You Wreck Me / Story: Titanic / Room At The Top / Walls / Story: Swingin' / Swingin' / Angel Dream DISC 2: "Madison Square Garden, New York, NY June 20 2006" LISTEN TO HER HEART / YOU DON'T KNOW HOW IT FEELS / I WON'T BACK DOWN / FREE FALLIN' / SAVING GRACE / MARY JANE / I'M A MAN / OH WELL / HANDLE WITH CARE / Band Intro & Stevie Nicks Intro / STOP DRAGGIN' MY HEART AROUND # / I NEED TO KNOW ## / MELINDA / SQUARE ONE / INSIDER # / LEARNING TO FLY ### / DON'T COME AROUND HERE NO MORE ### / REFUGEE / RUNNIN' DOWN A DREAM / YOU WRECK ME / MYSTIC EYES / AMERICAN GIRL ### (Duet with Stevie Nicks #, Lead Vocal by Stevie Nicks ##, Background Vocal include Stevie Nicks ###) "Tonight Show w/Jay Leno, NBC Studios, Burbank, CA July 20 2006" Saving Grace

“We live in divisive times.”
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4840 on: May 01, 2014, 03:24:54 AM »

Yes, Tom Petty had "Diamond Head" in his setlist - a cover of a song by The Ventures !!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4841 on: May 01, 2014, 09:03:04 PM »

Yes, Tom Petty had "Diamond Head" in his setlist - a cover of a song by The Ventures !!
Oh, not the instrumental from Friends eh? They left that detail out.
No wonder I kept hearing a different song when I'd look it up on YT

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4842 on: May 01, 2014, 09:05:53 PM »

Just reading some classifieds from a Dec 95 ESQ, someone was looking for a vinyl release of the Good Vibrations boxset....does a vinyl release exist?

Also, they mentioned an Australian LP of Still Crusin' with the Spanish version of Kokomo, does that LP exist as well?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 09:08:32 PM by punkinhead » Logged

~post of the century~
-Mikie

bluesno1fann
« Reply #4843 on: May 01, 2014, 09:38:29 PM »

Just reading some classifieds from a Dec 95 ESQ, someone was looking for a vinyl release of the Good Vibrations boxset....does a vinyl release exist?

Also, they mentioned an Australian LP of Still Crusin' with the Spanish version of Kokomo, does that LP exist as well?

Yes, I've got a copy of it myself. The Spanish version of Kokomo seems to be a bonus track, it's placed after the 3 60's BB's songs on the LP.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4844 on: May 02, 2014, 02:14:56 AM »

No vinyl version of the 1993 box has ever been sighted.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4845 on: May 02, 2014, 06:05:52 AM »

I'd probably buy it if it was.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4846 on: May 02, 2014, 03:18:23 PM »

No vinyl version of the 1993 box has ever been sighted.

Yeah, far as I know it was CD and Cassettes only. 
LPs would have been neat, but I don't think anyone was making them then

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4847 on: May 02, 2014, 03:42:04 PM »

Looks like CD only:

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4848 on: May 02, 2014, 04:35:00 PM »

I see you and raise you this:  ( sold only on QVC at initial release)  

AND, Billboard said 4 cassettes, but as my ( sealed) box states 5, I'm going with that...  
 http://tinyurl.com/n72aasz

Oh yeah. here's one that somebody ( wasn't me) got from Ebay in February that shows the 5 tapes:
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Good-Vibrations-Thirty-Years-of-The-Beach-Boys-5-Tape-Set-Cassettes-/131109209805   
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 04:47:11 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4849 on: May 02, 2014, 05:41:11 PM »

Indeed, I believe only the Aussie's got the 'Spanish' version on Still Cruisin'......

strange addition really, however I'm glad it's on there...... I actually prefer the 'spanish' version over the English...

RickB
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 191 192 193 [194] 195 196 197 198 199 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx