gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:31:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 184 185 186 [187] 188 189 190 191 192 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1406396 times)
Gohi
« Reply #4650 on: February 07, 2014, 11:09:50 AM »

Just found this DVD listing on amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E65Q8EM/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p14_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=028C85GBJSYQ88DSM0J1&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

It's a 2012 live DVD titled "Back Again." I have never heard of it (I visit the board in infrequent spurts). I did a forum search for the words "Back Again" but nothing came up. I can't believe this is news to anyone, but why can't I find any information on it? How is it different from the other 2012 live DVD?
Looks like a dvd bootleg of the proshot Chiba show that's on youtube.
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: February 16, 2014, 12:00:33 PM »

Can someone confirm who is the higher response after 1:25 on Celebrate the News? I think it's Carl but just want to check!
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: February 22, 2014, 08:56:17 PM »

Who is singing the "stay here on the weekend and unplug my phone" line on Be Here In The Morning?

Also, does it have any type of vocal effect on it? It sounds nice... but a little odd. I've always wondered
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: February 22, 2014, 09:07:17 PM »

Who is singing the "stay here on the weekend and unplug my phone" line on Be Here In The Morning?

Alan Jardine

Also, does it have any type of vocal effect on it? It sounds nice... but a little odd. I've always wondered

I don't hear an effect on that vocal, although the vocal on the second chorus of the song features a "leslie" effect (apart from the first instance of "life").

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: February 22, 2014, 10:35:42 PM »

I would like to know more about 'Night Bloomin' Jasmine'.

Brian's vocals on the demo sound like his mid/late 70's voice, which makes me think he started writing the song long before BW88.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: February 25, 2014, 03:52:10 AM »

What is/was H.E.L.P.? Haven't found anything that seems to fit through Google. Thought it could've been H.E.L.P. USA (http://www.helpusa.org/) but that was founded in 1986. From the lyrics of "Feet" it seems to be a place where you can get/buy sandals, but "H.E.L.P. Is On The Way" further mystifies me. It has the best food in town? It's a restaurant selling sandals?

Thankful for any help (pun not intended) on this.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: February 25, 2014, 04:21:31 AM »

What is/was H.E.L.P.? Haven't found anything that seems to fit through Google. Thought it could've been H.E.L.P. USA (http://www.helpusa.org/) but that was founded in 1986. From the lyrics of "Feet" it seems to be a place where you can get/buy sandals, but "H.E.L.P. Is On The Way" further mystifies me. It has the best food in town? It's a restaurant selling sandals?

I was always figured it was some kind of health food store in L.A. .. not necessarily a franchise, maybe a single store. Never thought about it much, either.

I gotta say though, it's one of my all-time favourite Beach Boys songs. Smiley
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: February 25, 2014, 11:20:40 PM »

Anybody have any information for what the status is on this 3D Hollywood Bowl film?
http://rockfuelmedia.com/event/the-beach-boys-3d-live-at-the-hollywood-bowl/

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4658 on: February 27, 2014, 03:46:55 PM »

I was always figured it was some kind of health food store in L.A. .. not necessarily a franchise, maybe a single store. Never thought about it much, either.

I gotta say though, it's one of my all-time favourite Beach Boys songs. Smiley

H.E.L.P stood for (something like) Health Education Love & Peace. They sing that during the tag.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: February 27, 2014, 10:38:44 PM »

Alan Jardine

I don't hear an effect on that vocal, although the vocal on the second chorus of the song features a "leslie" effect (apart from the first instance of "life").

Thanks. I didn't know Al could hit anything that high!
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: February 27, 2014, 10:42:09 PM »

Also, I was in Starbucks the other day and saw this http://www.starbucksstore.com/music-for-little-hipsters/011036233,default,pd.html

Featuring Vegetables! Thought that was funny.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: February 27, 2014, 11:06:50 PM »

Also, I was in Starbucks the other day and saw this http://www.starbucksstore.com/music-for-little-hipsters/011036233,default,pd.html

Interesting. Begs the question, "Which version of Vegetables?"

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: March 01, 2014, 05:09:41 PM »

I guess someone on here will just have to buy it.
Blake Alan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: March 01, 2014, 05:27:49 PM »

It's the Smiley Smile version. You can find a short article about the comp here:

http://theseconddisc.com/2014/02/17/starbucks-goes-hip-and-jazzy-on-venti-release-slate/

By the way, that website (www.theseconddisc.com) is a great source of information about forthcoming re-issues and re-packagings of older music.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 05:35:55 PM by Blake Alan » Logged
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: March 01, 2014, 06:19:48 PM »

It's the Smiley Smile version. You can find a short article about the comp here:

http://theseconddisc.com/2014/02/17/starbucks-goes-hip-and-jazzy-on-venti-release-slate/

By the way, that website (www.theseconddisc.com) is a great source of information about forthcoming re-issues and re-packagings of older music.

Thanks Blake!

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4665 on: March 05, 2014, 11:07:43 AM »

So I finally got a VHS copy of the Deadman's Curve TV movie. I don't know their story very well, just the hits and other songs...my question is, how accurate is this movie? Seems like jan was a jerk, was he really? Would love to hear what everyone thinks of this biopic? Would love to hear comparisons on how the movie is comparedto their life.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4666 on: March 05, 2014, 11:16:37 AM »

Granted, I do know that Jan was known as a perfectionist, as I have read in a couple of Dean Torrence interviews... So with that personality trait, I guess I could see them portraying him as a jerk.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4667 on: March 06, 2014, 08:37:06 PM »

So having only owned the 70's-80's albums on vinyl and the 2000 (what I think is) remastered twofers(Sunflower through BB85), and not possessing the best of ears to tell a difference between some mixes, were the 70's-80's songs on the GV Box set a different mix than the mixes on the 2000 twofers?
I don't own or have not heard the early 90s cd releases of those albums, so I was wondering if Capitol used the early 90s mixes of those songs or did they remastered them, or all three sets (90s release/GV boxset/2000 twofers) are the same "mixes?"

Just thinking and wondering aloud.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #4668 on: March 07, 2014, 01:06:05 AM »

So having only owned the 70's-80's albums on vinyl and the 2000 (what I think is) remastered twofers(Sunflower through BB85), and not possessing the best of ears to tell a difference between some mixes, were the 70's-80's songs on the GV Box set a different mix than the mixes on the 2000 twofers?
I don't own or have not heard the early 90s cd releases of those albums, so I was wondering if Capitol used the early 90s mixes of those songs or did they remastered them, or all three sets (90s release/GV boxset/2000 twofers) are the same "mixes?"

I'm not sure if there are any 90s mixes, per se, but all sets were mastered for CD individually.

According to GV box liner notes;"In preparation of this set, every effort has been made to make these historic recordings sound as good as they did when the Beach Boys first made them.  The producers auditioned numerous tapes in order to find the original single and LP masters which have been used throughout...

The box selections were engineered by Mark Linett, and mastered (remastered) by Mark L and Larry Walsh.

The 70s/80s twofers from 2000 were remastered by Andrew Sandoval and Dan Hersch.  Tape research was by Andrew Sandoval.

So, GV & the twofers pretty much used the same mixes (but hey, there may be 1 or 2 little gotchas in there somewhere - I would never rule that out when it comes to BB re-releases).

As for the 90s CBS reissues, The Legendary AGD's book notes several  gaffs in terms of mixes or versions used (especially re MIU), indicating shoddy tape research - however, what's presented are not "90s" mixes.

So bar the CBS root-ups,  all 3 sets pretty much use original mixes.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4669 on: March 07, 2014, 03:50:57 AM »

I'm not sure if there are any 90s mixes, per se, but all sets were mastered for CD individually.

According to GV box liner notes;"In preparation of this set, every effort has been made to make these historic recordings sound as good as they did when the Beach Boys first made them.  The producers auditioned numerous tapes in order to find the original single and LP masters which have been used throughout...

The box selections were engineered by Mark Linett, and mastered (remastered) by Mark L and Larry Walsh.

The 70s/80s twofers from 2000 were remastered by Andrew Sandoval and Dan Hersch.  Tape research was by Andrew Sandoval.

So, GV & the twofers pretty much used the same mixes (but hey, there may be 1 or 2 little gotchas in there somewhere - I would never rule that out when it comes to BB re-releases).

As for the 90s CBS reissues, The Legendary AGD's book notes several  gaffs in terms of mixes or versions used (especially re MIU), indicating shoddy tape research - however, what's presented are not "90s" mixes.

So bar the CBS root-ups,  all 3 sets pretty much use original mixes.
Alrighty! Thanks!
Yeah, it's awesome they included those flubbed tracks on the CBS reissues.
Oh, another question, would the CBS cd release of POB sound different from the POB release from 2008?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4670 on: March 07, 2014, 05:18:42 AM »

In the SMiLE booklet, in the picture where Mike drinks from a bottle, who is the woman in the the lower right corner with "Mike" on her lips?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4671 on: March 07, 2014, 05:25:33 AM »

In the SMiLE booklet, in the picture where Mike drinks from a bottle, who is the woman in the the lower right corner with "Mike" on her lips?

Um, I think that's Al.

“We live in divisive times.”
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4672 on: March 07, 2014, 07:08:20 AM »

If so, why is his hair so dark? Is someone standing right behind him?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 03:13:16 PM by Micha » Logged

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

Male eagle walking down the street....

View Profile
« Reply #4673 on: March 07, 2014, 05:01:47 PM »

On the Made In California box set Little Honda comes after Fun, Fun, Fun but before Don't Worry Baby, Why Do Fools Fall In Love and The Warmth Of The Sun. Why is it in the Shut Down Vol. 2 section not the All Summer Long section?
bluesno1fann
« Reply #4674 on: March 08, 2014, 06:05:02 PM »

Aside from the 88 album and That Lucky Old Sun (which I've seen a few times), which Brian Wilson albums are available on vinyl?

It's something I've been wondering about for a while
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 184 185 186 [187] 188 189 190 191 192 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx