gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:16:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway (+ 1 Hidden) and 56 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 174 175 176 [177] 178 179 180 181 182 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399543 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4400 on: November 09, 2013, 03:20:12 AM »

The original version of the video has french narration over the BBs practicing surfer girl.

...along with snippets of Feel Flows, Love Is A Woman, Let Us Go On This Way, Airplane, and Back Home.

Where can I see that?

'Twas on YouTube... http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,2412.msg292930.html#msg292930

Gee, I'm fairly certain the questioner wants to know where to see it now, not where it might have been a year ago...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: November 09, 2013, 06:40:40 PM »

The original version of the video has french narration over the BBs practicing surfer girl.

...along with snippets of Feel Flows, Love Is A Woman, Let Us Go On This Way, Airplane, and Back Home.

Where can I see that?

'Twas on YouTube... http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,2412.msg292930.html#msg292930

Gee, I'm fairly certain the questioner wants to know where to see it now, not where it might have been a year ago...

Such is the transient nature of some YouTube videos  Sad

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: November 10, 2013, 12:17:33 PM »

Where can I see that?

Such is the transient nature of some YouTube videos  Sad

Sad
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: November 11, 2013, 07:01:08 PM »

Was Time To Get Alone ever performed live? I haven't found a live version but thought it was possible since (I think) it was a planned single at one point.

Only by Brian's band. If it was performed live by The Beach Boys, it has yet to be documented, AFAIK.
It was performed at the Smile concerts (the first shows and some (if not most or all) shows here in the States). The first setlist was divided into an acoustic (Party!-like) set with And Your Dreams Come True, Keep an Eye On Summer, and Good To My Baby and then an electric set that had Time to get Alone and other goodies like Sail On Sailor, Soul Searchin', and Marcella...the second set was the BWPS and then the encore. The early to mid 2000s were the best days of creative setlists in Brian's camp. I recall a concert I have the audio to that had Busy Doin Nothin, The Night was So Young, Melt Away, Meant For you/Friends, and other goodies. And then I recall a later show around TLOS that had Salt Lake City, She Knows Me Too Well, and Girl Don't Tell Me.

Those were the setlist that were REALLY great.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: November 12, 2013, 11:03:39 AM »

Those are amazing setlists. Thanks for the info.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: November 12, 2013, 08:45:12 PM »

Speaking of live performances, just noticed Wikipedia has a section on each album from Surfin Safari to 15 Big Ones that is called Live Performances. Each entry declares what has been played over and when, whether it's the album release time or came back on the setlist. Also notes when Brian or Mike have performed it, which is really interesting! I didn't realize This Car of Mine was played live with Brian, Al, and Dave this year. There's a couple mistakes here and there. I believe every song from Surf's Up has been played live at some point, Don't Go Near the Water was not listed. In the Sunflower section, Cool Cool Water is not mentioned as being played. And they are including times when snippets have been performed like Pom Pom Play Girl was performed in the early 70s. I'm not sure if they're still working on this as to why Love You through That's Why God Made the Radio have no live entries.

Here's a link to the Sunflower entry in case you're interested.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunflower_(The_Beach_Boys_album)

Ahhhh, the joy of being a nerdy fan.  Grin

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: November 14, 2013, 05:40:40 PM »

Which member has performed with the group the second most after Mike? I would guess it comes down to Carl, Al and Bruce. (Carl has the first couple years over Al; Al has the C50 over Carl; Bruce has the last 15 years over both).

Which Beach Boy has performed the second most after Mike with or without being a member of the Beach Boys? I would guess that comes down to Brian, Al and Bruce.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #4407 on: November 14, 2013, 10:04:22 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:38:05 PM by zatch » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4408 on: November 14, 2013, 10:24:13 PM »

Which member has performed with the group the second most after Mike? I would guess it comes down to Carl, Al and Bruce. (Carl has the first couple years over Al; Al has the C50 over Carl; Bruce has the last 15 years over both).

Which Beach Boy has performed the second most after Mike with or without being a member of the Beach Boys? I would guess that comes down to Brian, Al and Bruce.

Depends - if you cutoff at spring 1998, almost certainly Carl. If you include Mike & Bruce's incarnation to date, irrespective of solo shows, then absolutely Bruce. Once Ian & I have updated the shows listings to include 2001-2013 (nearly there), it'll be possible (albeit the work of a madman) to work out a reasonably accurate value of individual shows performed for each individual.

Ah... sh*t.

You know I'm gonna do it, dontch ?  LOL
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 10:25:22 PM by A. Grayham Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: November 16, 2013, 03:14:43 PM »

Is there a bigger/higher quality version of this image?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4410 on: November 16, 2013, 03:20:34 PM »

Possibly the best quality version would be the 16" x 12" limited edition lithograph that was included with certain copies of The Warmth Of The Sun CD comp.

Alternatively...

http://www.timothymcgaw.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/brian.jpg
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 09:03:28 PM by metal flake paint » Logged

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #4411 on: November 17, 2013, 01:05:12 AM »

This isn't a question. I found this interesting photo and I may as well put it here:

I'm just surprised Brian Wilson was put on here, and even more surprised at the choice of hairstyle they used for him!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #4412 on: November 17, 2013, 06:19:12 AM »

This isn't a question. I found this interesting photo and I may as well put it here:

I'm just surprised Brian Wilson was put on here, and even more surprised at the choice of hairstyle they used for him!

I was looking through the names then gave up trying to find it. Then I saw the haircut and knew it was Brian without a Shadow Of A Doubt.  That's when you know you're a fan  Afro

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
bluesno1fann
« Reply #4413 on: November 17, 2013, 01:30:36 PM »

I was looking through the names then gave up trying to find it. Then I saw the haircut and knew it was Brian without a Shadow Of A Doubt.  That's when you know you're a fan  Afro
That's what happened with me as well! I'm guessing that a lot of people didn't notice him, only fans like us lol
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4414 on: November 17, 2013, 03:18:20 PM »

Possibly the best quality version would be the 16" x 12" limited edition lithograph that was included with certain copies of The Warmth Of The Sun CD comp.

Alternatively...

Amazing quality picture of that at that link! I had to save it to my computer. I'm guessing that is from 1967? I love that picture of Brian.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: November 17, 2013, 03:41:54 PM »

Alternatively...

Amazing quality picture of that at that link! I had to save it to my computer. I'm guessing that is from 1967? I love that picture of Brian.

I completely missed the link! Thanks! They really should make a full size poster of that image - I'd snap it up in a second!

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4416 on: November 17, 2013, 05:47:24 PM »

I'm inclined to think 1966, as by their University of Michigan gig in October 22, 1966, Carl was parting his hair on the opposite side.

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: November 17, 2013, 05:55:34 PM »

I completely missed the link! Thanks! They really should make a full size poster of that image - I'd snap it up in a second!

No worries. I'd buy one too as it would make a nice upgrade from the 16" x 12" version Grin

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4418 on: November 17, 2013, 08:21:43 PM »

I'm inclined to think 1966, as by their University of Michigan gig in October 22, 1966, Carl was parting his hair on the opposite side.

Or just use a different mirror for his images, maybe a carnival effect

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4419 on: November 18, 2013, 12:57:53 PM »

So I've been seeing a handful of the original 70s albums/Caribou(?) Cd releases for the early 90s.
I've seen the Holland, Love You, and In Concert albums. I obviously have all the 2000 twofers…my question, are these worth gettng? I know the quality might not be the same as the remastered releases from over ten years ago, but as a collector, are they worth getting? I know if I find the Tens Years of Harmony or POB cd releases from then are instant purchases...but what about these others?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #4420 on: November 18, 2013, 01:17:12 PM »

So I've been seeing a handful of the original 70s albums/Caribou(?) Cd releases for the early 90s.
I've seen the Holland, Love You, and In Concert albums. I obviously have all the 2000 twofers…my question, are these worth gettng? I know the quality might not be the same as the remastered releases from over ten years ago, but as a collector, are they worth getting? I know if I find the Tens Years of Harmony or POB cd releases from then are instant purchases...but what about these others?

MIU is noted for careless use of wrong mixes on a couple of tracks, hence some cred re collectibility (see the AGD book if you have it).

Love You drops the first couple of seconds of Honkin'; I don't have it  but would if it turned up as you can never have too many copies/editions of that baby.

I only have In Concert and 15 BO in the Caribou editions - they sound fine, depending on your rig
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 01:18:59 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
RockNSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: November 18, 2013, 02:24:01 PM »

Did Murry Wilson really sing the bass part on 'Break Away' while Mike was sick? I remember hearing an alternate version of the song somewhere on Youtube, and right before the song starts someone says something like "Sounds good guys, come on, let's go." It sounded like Murry, but it might've been someone else, I dunno.

These categorizations might work If it was 1963 and we were all a bunch of 12 year old girls clutching tear soaked pictures of our favourite beach boy.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4422 on: November 18, 2013, 02:34:12 PM »

Murry contributes a bass vocal on "Be Here In the Morning" ("... FULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL"), but not heard of him adding vocals to "Break Away" before. Mike was well enough to tour spring 1969, when the sessions were held, so... probably not.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4423 on: November 18, 2013, 02:37:52 PM »

Murry contributes a bass vocal on "Be Here In the Morning" ("... FULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL"), but not heard of him adding vocals to "Break Away" before. Mike was well enough to tour spring 1969, when the sessions were held, so... probably not.

THANKS AGD! I've been posting that comment for years and no one either believes me or replies.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4424 on: November 18, 2013, 02:44:22 PM »

Sorry Mr. Doe, sure this was asked many, many times before, but what exactly happened to Mike in 1969? I've read different versions, from tour exhaustion to depression and even something related with drugs (?).

Mike said somewhere, not sure what interview exactly, that what happened was due to his 'tainted Wilson blood'. Would that have to do with the temper/mood changes/mental issues that were common in the Wilson family? And if so, was Mike ever diagnosed of something?

Just curious about it. Mike's always struck me as rather sane.

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 174 175 176 [177] 178 179 180 181 182 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx