gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:31:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 and 45 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 172 173 174 [175] 176 177 178 179 180 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399265 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4350 on: October 17, 2013, 02:20:17 AM »

Ben Plumbob defo ain't Mike Eder, right kids?

“We live in divisive times.”
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4351 on: October 17, 2013, 02:26:17 AM »

Well, he's an honored guest here now... so maybe there will be thread you can ask him about it in. Or not. The whole damn thing is pretty nutty sounding to me, and how nutty sounding am I? You know you're in trouble when I'M the one going "wait, what?"

Now, the real insignificant question is -- does he appear on any AFM sheets?

I'm now going to stop posting about it before I'm hit with a flying clothesline from Frankie The Chi Town Hit Man.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 03:05:53 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4352 on: October 17, 2013, 05:11:10 AM »

Now, the real insignificant question is -- does he appear on any AFM sheets?

I'll ask my good buddy Carol. She knows, she was there. We weren't. Always remember that.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: October 17, 2013, 01:43:46 PM »

At least we know he's not Elvis Eder.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: October 17, 2013, 01:58:42 PM »

Review of Eder's book:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3MTIQSI9IC12M/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?ie=UTF8&asin=1617130494&cdForum=FxUD2AFRLLFRKN&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx333GEVJ856I09&store=books#wasThisHelpful

Eder uses two different guises (Dr. Stock and Ron) to combat the negative review, which has been described as "Helpful" by Amazon users. 

In the comments section, another user describes the review as "certainly better written than Eder's book, which come off like the syntax-scrambled ramblings of a crazy man."

Maybe something didn't happen to Eder after all?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 02:32:10 PM by Gabo » Logged
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: October 17, 2013, 03:28:12 PM »

I asked this a while back and never got an answer, so I'll try again as it still bugs me: What's the deal with the fade on "Transcendental Meditation"? It goes from loud to quiet to silent in just a few seconds. Is the instrumental version on MiC that way as well?

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: October 17, 2013, 09:49:38 PM »

So I recently bought an original copy of The Wilson Project from a friend, the pink cover…very interesting so far. The friend who sold it said he never had the tapes that came with the book. I've never heard the tapes. My question is, what's on these tapes? Music? Spoken Word documentation?

Is it worth seeking out now that I have the book?
I'm not the type to bump my own posts, but is there really no one on the board that owns the tapes who can tell me their contents? I feel it's odd nothing from those tapes has been booted or released on a rarities comp (as far as I know!)

I bought both books back in the day, and there were no tapes.
Oh ok, I'm a moron. Where did I read that?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: October 18, 2013, 12:12:32 AM »

So I recently bought an original copy of The Wilson Project from a friend, the pink cover…very interesting so far. The friend who sold it said he never had the tapes that came with the book. I've never heard the tapes. My question is, what's on these tapes? Music? Spoken Word documentation?

I'm not the type to bump my own posts, but is there really no one on the board that owns the tapes who can tell me their contents? I feel it's odd nothing from those tapes has been booted or released on a rarities comp (as far as I know!)

Are ya thinking of this thread ("tape 10" missing etc)

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,7754.msg126405.html#msg126405

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: October 20, 2013, 06:25:28 AM »

Why does the California Dreamin' video look like a clothing commercial?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: October 20, 2013, 07:50:23 PM »

Are ya thinking of this thread ("tape 10" missing etc)

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,7754.msg126405.html#msg126405

Hmm, maybe.
So there is tapes or there isn't?
Or were the tapes just a source to write out the info for the book?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4360 on: October 20, 2013, 10:26:44 PM »

The sources for the book were Usher's daily journal and a bunch of tapes - 10 actually...hm... how coincidental... - he sent Stephen McParland.

There was a tape doing the rounds entitled The Wilson Project, but it was nothing to do with SJP.

ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: October 21, 2013, 09:52:08 AM »

Question:

Is there a version of "In the Back of My Mind" out there that doesn't fade out early?  (I'm assuming that's what's happening on the album version.  I love how bizarre the strings sound, but I'm always left wondering what Brian was likely intending it to be.)

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4362 on: October 21, 2013, 01:13:04 PM »

In the Gaines book, it says the Maharishi suggested the Beatles tithe 10-25% of their earnings into a Swiss bank account in his name. Does anyone know if Mike has been doing any of this since the late-60s? How heavily involved is Mike into TM? He seems to mention it in almost every single appearance, concert, interview, etc. And in this article (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-512747/Lennon-right-The-Giggling-Guru-shameless-old-fraud.html) it says Mike is a teacher of TM, so he must have some investment in the movement.

Is there any possibility that TM and Mike's involvement has more to do with some of the disagreements within the band than anyone may surmise from the surface? It's entirely possible I'm completely off base in this question, but I felt it was worth hearing what others had to say.

Anyone know exactly how deeply involved Mike is in TM?
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #4363 on: October 21, 2013, 01:28:31 PM »

Question:

Is there a version of "In the Back of My Mind" out there that doesn't fade out early?  (I'm assuming that's what's happening on the album version.  I love how bizarre the strings sound, but I'm always left wondering what Brian was likely intending it to be.)

The stereo mix doesn't fade.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: October 21, 2013, 10:55:40 PM »

Does anyone have the lyrics to "You're Still A Mystery?"

Particularly the chorus and the bridge.

Thanks!
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #4365 on: October 22, 2013, 01:16:43 AM »

Does anyone have the lyrics to "You're Still A Mystery?"

Particularly the chorus and the bridge.

Thanks!

http://www.surfermoon.com/francis/wilsonpaley.html

EDIT: I see that's missing a chorus vocal line, which goes:

Tell me your secrets
Don't try my brain
Give it to me straight now
What you feel inside [?]
Need a little hand now
Gotta find the the key now
You're still a mystery

Not sure about that fourth line.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 01:26:46 AM by au bord de ma chčre » Logged

Please delete my account
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4366 on: October 22, 2013, 08:32:48 PM »

I have a relevant question to this thread. I just found a lost Honey's LP with apparently some late 70s Brian Wilson productions/songs on it. It has "Do Ya" which I'm addicted to right now. I can't believe a song this good and catchy is so obscure.. Does that sound like Brian at the end? Because if so that's some amazing vocals for the late 70s. Anyway, I can't find any info about this song. There are a few other obscure Brian Wilson productions like "Romeo And Juliet", a "Don't Be Cruel" cover (also very very good),  and "It's Like Heaven ". I found info on the sessions page about these, but I couldn't find when "Do Ya" was recorded. It sounds like Brian recycled this song for about 2 or 3 other songs as well (most notably "Mona" and "Hows About A Little Bit Of Your Sweet Lovin".. possibly also "Almost Summer"). I also must say Marilyn still had an awesome voice at this period. I can see why Brian used her on a few Beach Boys songs around this time.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4367 on: October 22, 2013, 10:40:28 PM »

"Do Ya" basically combines "How's About A Little Bit" (verse) and "Marilyn Rovell" (chorus) - recorded (allegedly) fall 1977 at MIU

Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4368 on: October 24, 2013, 04:50:29 AM »

Is there anything to discuss about The Beach Boys and The Woodstock Festival? I don't think the organizers ever even considered adding them to the bill? Where were the boys that weekend? Has anyone of them ever commented on Woodstock?

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4369 on: October 24, 2013, 12:36:56 PM »

Should Mike Love have received a credit for playing piano on the Knebworth CD?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4370 on: October 24, 2013, 03:06:20 PM »

Is there anything to discuss about The Beach Boys and The Woodstock Festival? I don't think the organizers ever even considered adding them to the bill? Where were the boys that weekend? Has anyone of them ever commented on Woodstock?

Here y'go: August 1969

15 - single session: Cotton Fields (45 version) [Sunset]
19 - Happening ABCTV show, Los Angeles CA

So, could have played, if asked. But they weren't.

Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4371 on: October 24, 2013, 03:14:12 PM »

I love this place.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: October 25, 2013, 07:32:05 AM »

"Do Ya" basically combines "How's About A Little Bit" (verse) and "Marilyn Rovell" (chorus) - recorded (allegedly) fall 1977 at MIU
Wow! I knew how's a little bit was in there some where but I had no idea about Marilyn Rovell. Somehow, I knew that song would be used somewhere else, I just didn't think it'd be so close in the timeline...figured maybe in BW's solo material or something.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: October 25, 2013, 11:08:11 AM »

I guess the "Mary, oh mary baby oh mary!" melody is very similar to the Do Ya chorus.. but it also reminds me a hell of a lot of Mona as well, which seemed to use the same melody throughout the whole song..

I prefer "Do Ya" out of them all.. It's a very well done pop song, should have been a hit.
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4374 on: October 28, 2013, 09:31:12 AM »

I know I posted last and I'm double posting, but I was listening to an older version of
"Santa Ana Winds" and compared it to the version on KTSA. When was the original
bootlegged version recorded? Can't really find any info about that either except the version
on KTSA which was mostly tracked in '78 I guess. There's an earlier version that I could have
sworn was tracked in around 1974 possibly produced by Brian Wilson but I'm not sure.. Sounds like Brian
doing the count off at the beginning and there's a bass harmonica and slightly different instrumentation
than what was eventually released.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 172 173 174 [175] 176 177 178 179 180 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx