gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:09:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 (+ 1 Hidden) and 48 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 168 169 170 [171] 172 173 174 175 176 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399334 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4250 on: September 15, 2013, 12:35:34 PM »

anyone seen this picture before. It looks like it was taken around 1972. All six of them (except Brian) are standing in front of a car in the middle of what looks to be Arizona. Very Desperado looking.

Arizona ?  Try Holland.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4251 on: September 15, 2013, 12:52:51 PM »

I've read a few vague statements about Brian wanting to "re-do" Shut Down Vol. 2. Can anyone elaborate on details here?
when did he say that?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #4252 on: September 15, 2013, 01:03:08 PM »

The famous "room" is metaphorical. Mike just wants to collaborate with Brian the way he used to, mano a mano.

if Mike wants to engage in hand-to-hand combat with Brian then i can see why the BW camp is a bit hesitant.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #4253 on: September 15, 2013, 10:09:38 PM »

I've read a few vague statements about Brian wanting to "re-do" Shut Down Vol. 2. Can anyone elaborate on details here?
when did he say that?
No idea, which is why I'm asking for clarification Grin Looks like it may have never happened...

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4254 on: September 16, 2013, 12:06:18 AM »

Who is the guy sitting in the car?

when did he say that?

"Autobiography".

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4255 on: September 16, 2013, 05:55:19 AM »

Daryl Dragon, aka "Captain Keyboards," aka "The Captain" (of "The Captain & Tennille").
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4256 on: September 16, 2013, 07:50:55 PM »

This is more of an opinion question, but the song Rock and Roll to the Rescue, is it me or is the opening parts: "gotta get a ticket cuz I really gotta go, there's a party goin on at the rock and roll show…" a lot stronger of a melody than the chorus line? I find myself getting more into that opening bit (is that part of the chorus or not?)

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4257 on: September 16, 2013, 07:57:28 PM »

Daryl Dragon, aka "Captain Keyboards," aka "The Captain" (of "The Captain & Tennille").

Interesting that he'd be featured so prominently on a record sleeve.  I wonder if he was ever asked to be a full-time member of the band.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4258 on: September 17, 2013, 01:54:30 AM »

This is more of an opinion question, but the song Rock and Roll to the Rescue, is it me or is the opening parts: "gotta get a ticket cuz I really gotta go, there's a party goin on at the rock and roll show…" a lot stronger of a melody than the chorus line? I find myself getting more into that opening bit (is that part of the chorus or not?)

Yup, that's an opinion, which I happen to disagree. Smiley

Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4259 on: September 17, 2013, 07:23:15 AM »

Interesting that he'd be featured so prominently on a record sleeve.  I wonder if he was ever asked to be a full-time member of the band.

Google is your friend:

Daryl Dragon, 2001, from an online Q&A:

Re: Beach Boy touring: I started with them in 1968, and "lasted" thru their "struggling years" which was thru '72. Funny thing though: As soon as I left the 'Boyz' for Toni ... where we were making $15.00 per night in local clubs, the 'BOYZ' took off ! (Whoops, Toni says I should spell it "BOYS"). Anyway ... they got along without me, although they did ask me to be an official "Beach Boy." I told them I could make more money with my wife, Toni ... in local clubs. ($) Hah ... just kidding.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/liveonline/01/music/tennille080801.htm

chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4260 on: September 17, 2013, 10:16:33 AM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/beach-boys-to-get-their-own-mamma-mia-with-new-film-20101004

Wow.... I am so glad this never came to be. Anyone know what happened?
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #4261 on: September 17, 2013, 11:10:03 AM »

Google is your friend:

Daryl Dragon, 2001, from an online Q&A:

Re: Beach Boy touring: I started with them in 1968, and "lasted" thru their "struggling years" which was thru '72. Funny thing though: As soon as I left the 'Boyz' for Toni ... where we were making $15.00 per night in local clubs, the 'BOYZ' took off ! (Whoops, Toni says I should spell it "BOYS"). Anyway ... they got along without me, although they did ask me to be an official "Beach Boy." I told them I could make more money with my wife, Toni ... in local clubs. ($) Hah ... just kidding.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/liveonline/01/music/tennille080801.htm

See: http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/daryl-dragon-cat-in-hat.html
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: September 18, 2013, 02:19:57 AM »

Great read, thanks for the link.  It's a little crazy to think that such a talented arranger would be known for trite 70s pop but I'm sure it's all the same to him.  And Toni Tennille is a fantastic singer so I'm glad they found such success, even if it's mostly for a song I cannot stand (just my personal taste though).  Sorry to hear about Dragon having Parkinson's.  I hope it's not too severe but I'd imagine it wouldn't make it very easy for him to play the keyboards anymore.  Sad

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: September 18, 2013, 10:12:03 AM »

I know everyone thinks the Blondie/Ricky faction of the band was screwed on the MIC set, so if that's the case, what Blondie/Ricky tunes would you have added?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: September 18, 2013, 10:35:16 AM »

I know everyone thinks the Blondie/Ricky faction of the band was screwed on the MIC set, so if that's the case, what Blondie/Ricky tunes would you have added?

Maybe Leaving This Town.  Oh, and Funky Pretty which was on the '93 set (they didn't write it but they were both very prominently featured).  Nothing else though.  I think they're great musicians but I think people sometimes overstate what their role in the band was at the time.  The fact that we got the live Wild Honey is awesome enough.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #4265 on: September 18, 2013, 10:39:39 AM »

Maybe Leaving This Town.  Oh, and Funky Pretty which was on the '93 set (they didn't write it but they were both very prominently featured).  Nothing else though.  I think they're great musicians but I think people sometimes overstate what their role in the band was at the time.  The fact that we got the live Wild Honey is awesome enough.

It'd have been nice to have seen Hard Times included. Damn good song! 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4266 on: September 18, 2013, 11:29:25 AM »

Absolutely! Though, I think that Blondie and Ricky are the only Beach Boys on it, IIRC.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #4267 on: September 18, 2013, 11:34:36 AM »

Absolutely! Though, I think that Blondie and Ricky are the only Beach Boys on it, IIRC.

All the more reason to include it. They were Beach Boys during this period and I think a direct acknowledgement of their song-writing would've been justified.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: September 18, 2013, 11:40:29 AM »

All the more reason to include it. They were Beach Boys during this period and I think a direct acknowledgement of their song-writing would've been justified.
Maybe, but I doubt that Brian, Mike & Al felt the same way. Great song. IMHO, the best Blondie/Ricky song that was never released. A definite candidate for inclusion on a 1974 album release.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: September 18, 2013, 11:58:13 AM »

I agree with you dr. I don't think the group, outside of Carl, considered them BBs.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 12:03:16 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: September 18, 2013, 12:03:53 PM »

That's true. I honestly think Leavin this Town is the best song they offered.

Now thinking back about how So Tough, Holland, and In Concert woulda sounded without Blondie/Ricky.…well, perhaps one of the touring drummers woulda played drums on the albums…in my opinion though, those two guys gave a new blend to the vocals of the group and gave the band a little more balls when playing on those albumsZ.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #4271 on: September 18, 2013, 12:15:45 PM »

That's true. I honestly think Leavin this Town is the best song they offered.

Now thinking back about how So Tough, Holland, and In Concert woulda sounded without Blondie/Ricky.…well, perhaps one of the touring drummers woulda played drums on the albums…in my opinion though, those two guys gave a new blend to the vocals of the group and gave the band a little more balls when playing on those albumsZ.

They sure did. I think they added a lot. And I'm fairly sure Carl wasn't the only one who considered them Beach Boys - I mean Dennis is on record singing their praises ain't he?
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4272 on: September 18, 2013, 02:13:08 PM »

Maybe, but I doubt that Brian, Mike & Al felt the same way. Great song. IMHO, the best Blondie/Ricky song that was never released. A definite candidate for inclusion on a 1974 album release.

"Hard Times" is so good that even I like it! Smiley

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: September 18, 2013, 02:54:08 PM »

What a great question!

Okay, I'd put forward He She Comes. Starts off slow but builds to a dynamic crescendo, and Ricky's drumming is some of the best on any rock era record, by anyone. Next time there's a box set I'd like that drumming track isolated, pretty please!  Smiley

“We live in divisive times.”
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: September 18, 2013, 10:17:53 PM »

"Hard Times" deserves a release.
The studio version of "We Got Love" deserves a full scale world wide release.
"Here She Comes" deserves a properly mixed version (Sorry, Ricky) to be released!

And in addition to the songs they wrote, it would be nice to have high quality versions of Dennis's stuff that featured Blondie:  "Carry Me Home" and ESPECIALLY "It's A New Day!

I would have included all five of those tracks.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 168 169 170 [171] 172 173 174 175 176 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx