gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:18:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray (+ 1 Hidden) and 55 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 167 168 169 [170] 171 172 173 174 175 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399522 times)
Pet Sounder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4225 on: September 11, 2013, 09:21:06 AM »

When I attended one of Brian's "That Lucky Old Sun" concerts there were symphonic BB covers playing on the sound system during intermission.  Anyone know what that album was or where I could find it?
zane7570
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: September 11, 2013, 09:29:44 AM »

When I attended one of Brian's "That Lucky Old Sun" concerts there were symphonic BB covers playing on the sound system during intermission.  Anyone know what that album was or where I could find it?

possibly this? http://www.amazon.com/Symphonic-Sounds-Music-Beach-Boys/dp/B000009NH7

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: September 11, 2013, 09:52:01 AM »

Is Brupublican too much of a mouthfull? If not Brucian for Bruce works fine.
A David Marks fanboy is known as a member of The Marks Mafia.
Wirestone is right; the term Kokomaoists for Mike Love apologists cannot be bettered.
I'm not sure if overzealous fans of Blondie and Ricky exist but if so they should be known as Flamers.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 09:56:12 AM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: September 11, 2013, 12:34:28 PM »

I guess it's quite well known that Carl took charge of the quality of the music on tours from quite early on. When listening to It's About Time on MIC I liked how funky the "I'm singing in my heart" parts were and wondered who would have come up with that sound? It's different to the album and a lot more to my liking. Would it have been a group choice?
Pet Sounder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: September 11, 2013, 05:59:06 PM »

Who all is singing on the tag to Back Home 1970?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4230 on: September 11, 2013, 06:28:36 PM »

While listening to my copy of ML's Looking Back with Love record, I thought, "you know, Mike had First Love and Country Love proposed but got rejected, then he did LBWL, which is either all covers or just written by anybody but Mike, except Paradise Found...So anyways, I was wondering what happened to all the other material from the first two proposed albums? Did he record them and was not "allowed" to use them, or after being rejected twice, Mike just thought: "well I'm just gonna scrap all this music" and put out something different? Was the record label he put LBWL out on (Boardwalk, I believe) the same he proposed First and Country Love to? If it was, perhaps the record exec's said: "Mike, bring us back something that ISN'T either First Love or Country Love and we'll release it."

This may all look like a put down but I honestly love and cherish Mike Love's work, with or without the BB...Celebration, LBWL, I love it all! I would even place some of First Love's material on LBWL love to IMPROVE the album (songs like Daybreak, I don't Wanna Know, First Love, and Brian's Back are all quality songs I'd put on a Beach Boys late 70s album.)

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: September 11, 2013, 07:53:40 PM »

possibly this? http://www.amazon.com/Symphonic-Sounds-Music-Beach-Boys/dp/B000009NH7

Fairly sure it's this one, instead (Gary Usher's symphonic tribute to BW from 1970):

http://www.amazon.com/Add-Some-Music-Your-Day/dp/B00005J9N2/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1378954389&sr=1-3&keywords=Brian+Wilson+usher
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4232 on: September 12, 2013, 12:05:32 AM »

Does anyone know some good websites for free or cheap Beach Boys sheet music for beginners?

I don't, but I'd recommend to try your local public library.

My public library has the the C50 live CD now, but there's 6 people ahead of me waiting for it! Sad

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #4233 on: September 12, 2013, 12:26:23 AM »

While listening to my copy of ML's Looking Back with Love record, I thought, "you know, Mike had First Love and Country Love proposed but got rejected, then he did LBWL, which is either all covers or just written by anybody but Mike, except Paradise Found...So anyways, I was wondering what happened to all the other material from the first two proposed albums? Did he record them and was not "allowed" to use them, or after being rejected twice, Mike just thought: "well I'm just gonna scrap all this music" and put out something different? Was the record label he put LBWL out on (Boardwalk, I believe) the same he proposed First and Country Love to? If it was, perhaps the record exec's said: "Mike, bring us back something that ISN'T either First Love or Country Love and we'll release it."

This may all look like a put down but I honestly love and cherish Mike Love's work, with or without the BB...Celebration, LBWL, I love it all! I would even place some of First Love's material on LBWL love to IMPROVE the album (songs like Daybreak, I don't Wanna Know, First Love, and Brian's Back are all quality songs I'd put on a Beach Boys late 70s album.)

I even prefer Country Love to LBWL.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: September 12, 2013, 06:32:44 AM »

I even prefer Country Love to LBWL.
Really? That's saying ALOT

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
zachrwolfe
« Reply #4235 on: September 12, 2013, 04:26:47 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:45:51 PM by zatch » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: September 12, 2013, 04:46:56 PM »

Has the initial version of Slip On Through tracked at Gold Star been booted?

This got ignored, but I believe I've managed to find it. For anyone wondering, it's on "Get The Boot 1".

The backing track is really good. Pet Sounds meets Santana.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: September 12, 2013, 05:41:32 PM »

Does anyone know some good websites for free or cheap Beach Boys sheet music for beginners?

If you're looking for guitar or bass, there are tabs here:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/beach_boys_tabs.htm?no_takeover

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: September 12, 2013, 06:11:36 PM »

Ok, I've seen two references to "the room" and regarding Mike in the past two threads I've read. What's "the room" and what's it got to do with Mike?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

zachrwolfe
« Reply #4239 on: September 12, 2013, 06:36:08 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:45:46 PM by zatch » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: September 12, 2013, 06:45:07 PM »

Ok, I've seen two references to "the room" and regarding Mike in the past two threads I've read. What's "the room" and what's it got to do with Mike?

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/5650662/mike-love-upset-over-direction-of-beach-boys-reunion-album-tour

Though the Beach Boys are divided rather than conquering a year after their triumphant 50th anniversary reunion tour, Mike Love is not ruling out the possibility of it happening again. But he has some stipulations.

"It depends, because the way it was run and the people who were running it I have serious issues with," Love -- who's currently leading his version of the Beach Boys with keyboardist Bruce Johnston -- tells Billboard. "It will happen only if I can do it with people who I trusted and liked and were honorable. I have no problem with my cousin Brian (Wilson) and I in a room with a piano, but it's not that uncomplicated."

And also...

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/playlist/325039/Surf-s-up-again-for-the-Beach-Boys

Mike admitted he misses Brian – his cousin. He said: “I’d very much like to get in a room, just him and I, to write more songs.

Basically, Mike only will work with Brian again if they can be alone to work together in a room.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: September 12, 2013, 08:46:14 PM »

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/5650662/mike-love-upset-over-direction-of-beach-boys-reunion-album-tour

Though the Beach Boys are divided rather than conquering a year after their triumphant 50th anniversary reunion tour, Mike Love is not ruling out the possibility of it happening again. But he has some stipulations.

"It depends, because the way it was run and the people who were running it I have serious issues with," Love -- who's currently leading his version of the Beach Boys with keyboardist Bruce Johnston -- tells Billboard. "It will happen only if I can do it with people who I trusted and liked and were honorable. I have no problem with my cousin Brian (Wilson) and I in a room with a piano, but it's not that uncomplicated."

And also...

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/playlist/325039/Surf-s-up-again-for-the-Beach-Boys

Mike admitted he misses Brian – his cousin. He said: “I’d very much like to get in a room, just him and I, to write more songs.

Basically, Mike only will work with Brian again if they can be alone to work together in a room.
Oh ok. I was thinking it was something of that nature.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: September 12, 2013, 08:58:46 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ4KzClb1C4
"I did naaaht."

A discipline daddy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4243 on: September 13, 2013, 07:30:31 AM »

The famous "room" is metaphorical. Mike just wants to collaborate with Brian the way he used to, mano a mano.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: September 13, 2013, 08:10:29 AM »

The famous "room" is metaphorical. Mike just wants to collaborate with Brian the way he used to, mano a mano.

Thank god someone said it…

“We live in divisive times.”
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4245 on: September 13, 2013, 02:10:34 PM »

anyone seen this picture before. It looks like it was taken around 1972. All six of them (except Brian) are standing in front of a car in the middle of what looks to be Arizona. Very Desperado looking.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: September 13, 2013, 02:49:37 PM »

Oh sure, you mean THIS picture

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: September 13, 2013, 04:55:55 PM »

Maybe it's THIS one.

http://i34.tinypic.com/1zvr686.jpg
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4248 on: September 15, 2013, 02:35:13 AM »

So this thread is locked?

Edit: or not!

“We live in divisive times.”
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: September 15, 2013, 06:29:41 AM »

I've read a few vague statements about Brian wanting to "re-do" Shut Down Vol. 2. Can anyone elaborate on details here?

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 167 168 169 [170] 171 172 173 174 175 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx