gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 11:16:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 162 163 164 [165] 166 167 168 169 170 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1408958 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4100 on: August 23, 2013, 02:18:43 AM »

Mike was also at said nuptials.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4101 on: August 26, 2013, 05:37:15 AM »

Prepare for the silliest question I ever thought of regarding the Beach Boys:

Why didn't Ron Wilson join the Beach Boys as their drummer in 1984? Shocked

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
jvcthome
Smiley Smile Associate

fear and loathing in the woodstock nation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4102 on: August 26, 2013, 03:13:52 PM »

Which of these songs still exists in the vaults?

• You Never Give Me Your Money (the Beatles cover, from the Sunflower sessions)
  • Beatrice From Baltimore
  • The original version of Marcella
  • Burlesque
  • Rooftop Harry
  • Dr. Tom
  • Canyon Summer
  • Pattycake
  • Just An Imitation (I always thought it was never recorded, but AGD's site shows that it was, on summer '74)
  • Earthquake Time
  • Honeycomb
  • Don't Let Me Go/You're Riding High On Our Music/Our Life, Our Love, Our Land
  • Don't Want Much, Just A Country Or Two, Maybe A Planet Before It's Through
  • Gold Rush/Workin' On A Coal Mine/Lisa/Secret Love/10,000 Years Ago
  • Beach Burlesque
  • Egypt (recorded at M.I.U, I had never heard of it until now. but I guess it exists, since it was recorded the same day as Why)
  • There's A Feeling In The Air (Brian song, recorded for L.A (Light Album)
  • Surfer Suzie
  • Other stuff from the Wilson/Love sessions from 1981, like Bucks and Children of the Night
  • Fly/Candlesticks/Up Again (recorded by Brian shortly after the KTSA sessions ended)
  • Oh Lord (the version they recorded for their 1985 self-titled)

Also, I know it would be a lot of work, but some info on most of the songs would be really appreciated!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4103 on: August 26, 2013, 03:43:45 PM »

I believe there's an instrumental cut of 10,000 Years on the Dennis/Bamboo Dumb Angel Rarity I think.

And I feel like Mike recorded a version of it for his mid 2000's solo album. Which makes sense since mike and Denny wrote it.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4104 on: August 27, 2013, 06:25:39 AM »

In the MiC booklet, Jimmy Webb is credited with arranging - what did he arrange?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: August 27, 2013, 06:34:00 AM »

In the MiC booklet, Jimmy Webb is credited with arranging - what did he arrange?

He arranged to get his name in the booklet

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4106 on: August 27, 2013, 09:20:11 AM »

Cheesy Great one!

jvcthome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4107 on: August 27, 2013, 05:57:53 PM »

I believe there's an instrumental cut of 10,000 Years on the Dennis/Bamboo Dumb Angel Rarity I think.

And I feel like Mike recorded a version of it for his mid 2000's solo album. Which makes sense since mike and Denny wrote it.

Oh, I forgot about it! And yes, he did record it. It's a nice song.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4108 on: August 27, 2013, 06:42:14 PM »

Strings on the 96 Stars and Stripes version of Caroline, No.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: August 27, 2013, 09:16:12 PM »

If the U.K. version of Sunflower had "Cotton Fields" as its opener, what was the tracklist like for the U.K. version of 20/20?

Were the songs any different? Or did they just keep "Cotton Fields" off?
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4110 on: August 27, 2013, 09:38:35 PM »

If the U.K. version of Sunflower had "Cotton Fields" as its opener, what was the tracklist like for the U.K. version of 20/20?

Were the songs any different? Or did they just keep "Cotton Fields" off?

For the UK 20/20...same track lineup and same order as the US. Remember...the UK Sunflower had the single version of Cottonfields. Smiley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: August 28, 2013, 05:35:03 AM »

Strings on the 96 Stars and Stripes version of Caroline, No.

Ahh, cheers!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Will C.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: August 29, 2013, 08:25:57 AM »

• Does anybody know what synthesizer is being used for the bass line in "It's OK"? I know the Moog Taurus 1 is all over this Beach Boys era, but this bass line seems a little different to me.  I LOVE the sound of it.  If it is indeed the Taurus, does anybody know if it's run through another piece of equipment to get the sound it has on "It's OK"?

• Also, I've been curious for quite awhile now as to what synthesizer is being used on "Baby Blue." It's most prevalent bubbling up during the "late at night, late at night, hunny late at night" part of the song where Dennis is singing. Is it an ARP string ensemble? I don't necessarily mean the string sound that is providing the pad, but more the specific melody line notes going on around those parts of the song.

Thanks to anybody who can help!

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4113 on: August 29, 2013, 08:38:59 AM »

• You Never Give Me Your Money (the Beatles cover, from the Sunflower sessions)
  • Beatrice From Baltimore
  • The original version of Marcella
  • Burlesque
  • Rooftop Harry
  • Dr. Tom
  • Canyon Summer
  • Pattycake
  • Just An Imitation (I always thought it was never recorded, but AGD's site shows that it was, on summer '74)
  • Earthquake Time
  • Honeycomb
  • Don't Let Me Go/You're Riding High On Our Music/Our Life, Our Love, Our Land
  • Don't Want Much, Just A Country Or Two, Maybe A Planet Before It's Through
  • Gold Rush/Workin' On A Coal Mine/Lisa/Secret Love/10,000 Years Ago
  • Beach Burlesque
  • Egypt (recorded at M.I.U, I had never heard of it until now. but I guess it exists, since it was recorded the same day as Why)
  • There's A Feeling In The Air (Brian song, recorded for L.A (Light Album)
  • Surfer Suzie
  • Other stuff from the Wilson/Love sessions from 1981, like Bucks and Children of the Night
  • Fly/Candlesticks/Up Again (recorded by Brian shortly after the KTSA sessions ended)
  • Oh Lord (the version they recorded for their 1985 self-titled)

Also, I know it would be a lot of work, but some info on most of the songs would be really appreciated!

1 - no-one knows if it is a cover of The Beatles song, but as an AFM sheet exists, I'm guessing a tape does too.
2 - Is in fact...
3 - and there is a tape box in the vault labelled just "Beatrice".
4 - no idea
5 - allegedly
6 - yes
7 - yes
8 - doubtful, only a demo if it does
9 - yes
10 - no idea
11 - yes, reported in the 1976 Crawdaddy 2-parter
12 - probably (see #1)
13 - see above
14 - maybe/yes/maybe/yes/maybe
15 - see #1
16 - as above
17 - yes
18 - yes
19 - Wilson/Love sessions were summer 1980: those are ML solo sessions, and they exist. "Jailbait" became "Lovestruck".
20 - see #1
21 - possibly: there's no documentary proof they attempted it, just a strong rumor.

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: August 29, 2013, 08:45:33 AM »

Man, so much stuff still out there. Hope the box set does well so we can get a new installment of rarities soon!
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: August 29, 2013, 10:02:23 AM »

OK so in the last 14 months I've managed to accumulate all of the Beach Boys studio albums, Good Vibrations, Made in California, Endless Harmony, Hawthorne, and even Ultimate Christmas. I thought I had it all, but then....

I heard Dennis sing Fallin' in Love on MiC and I realized that this track (in a slightly different form) was on Summer Love Songs, a compilation I deemed unnecessary given that I had every studio album.

I know, my introduction to the annoyances of being a big fan of an artist who puts one track you want on a compilation.

Anyway, my question is--what tracks do I need to complete my Beach Boy playlist? I am not so much concerned with alternate versions of songs I already have, more with missing jewels like Fallin' in Love. Any help here would be much appreciated. Btw, is it necessary to try to track down Lady in its original form or is it pretty much the same as this MiC Fallin' in Love?
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #4116 on: August 29, 2013, 10:13:55 AM »

OK so in the last 14 months I've managed to accumulate all of the Beach Boys studio albums, Good Vibrations, Made in California, Endless Harmony, Hawthorne, and even Ultimate Christmas. I thought I had it all, but then....

I heard Dennis sing Fallin' in Love on MiC and I realized that this track (in a slightly different form) was on Summer Love Songs, a compilation I deemed unnecessary given that I had every studio album.

I know, my introduction to the annoyances of being a big fan of an artist who puts one track you want on a compilation.

Anyway, my question is--what tracks do I need to complete my Beach Boy playlist? I am not so much concerned with alternate versions of songs I already have, more with missing jewels like Fallin' in Love. Any help here would be much appreciated. Btw, is it necessary to try to track down Lady in its original form or is it pretty much the same as this MiC Fallin' in Love?

The original version is on Super Furry Animals' 'Under The Influence' album (as is Feel Flows). It's a compilation of music by other artists that inspired them.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 10:18:26 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: August 29, 2013, 02:06:47 PM »

Besides "Soul Searchin'" and "You're Still a Mystery", what else did the band do at the Paley sessions or was that it?
jvcthome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4118 on: August 29, 2013, 02:21:27 PM »

Thank you so much, AGD!   Smiley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4119 on: August 29, 2013, 10:49:45 PM »

Besides "Soul Searchin'" and "You're Still a Mystery", what else did the band do at the Paley sessions or was that it?

Gigs & sessions 1995

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4120 on: August 30, 2013, 06:31:13 AM »

Btw, is it necessary to try to track down Lady in its original form or is it pretty much the same as this MiC Fallin' in Love?

Depends on your taste. IMHO the original mix is way better, it just fades way too early. Others may think differently.

Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: August 30, 2013, 08:29:00 AM »

zomgomgomg i summon andrew g doe to the stand for some 'splainin'!!

*clears throat, takes ritalin*

How did we get from here:

I don't think a recording of "Just An Imitation" exists, right?
Right.

To here:

9:
9 - yes

*ritalin wears off*

Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh!

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: August 30, 2013, 09:03:28 AM »

Why do everybody says that the Beach Boys were joined by two black south african musicians in 1972? Ricky's hair is straighter than mine! He may not be caucasian but black he isn't, by any definition.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: August 30, 2013, 09:26:18 AM »

Why do everybody says that the Beach Boys were joined by two black south african musicians in 1972?

Ricky Fataar is of Malay descent, and Wiki states...

'From the early 1970s to the present, some members of this community – particularly those with a political allegiance to broader liberation movements in South Africa – have identified as "black" in the terms of the Black Consciousness Movement. The "Cape Malay" identity was also a subcategory of the "Coloured" category, in the terms of the apartheid-era government's classifications of ethnicity.[6][7] Like many South Africans, people described in some situations as "Cape Malay" are often the descendants of people from many continents and religions.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Malay

So Ricky may well choose to identify himself that way.

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: August 30, 2013, 10:29:06 AM »

Why do everybody says that the Beach Boys were joined by two black south african musicians in 1972?

Ricky Fataar is of Malay descent, and Wiki states...

'From the early 1970s to the present, some members of this community – particularly those with a political allegiance to broader liberation movements in South Africa – have identified as "black" in the terms of the Black Consciousness Movement. The "Cape Malay" identity was also a subcategory of the "Coloured" category, in the terms of the apartheid-era government's classifications of ethnicity.[6][7] Like many South Africans, people described in some situations as "Cape Malay" are often the descendants of people from many continents and religions.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Malay

So Ricky may well choose to identify himself that way.

Fair enough. Thanks for the time taken.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 162 163 164 [165] 166 167 168 169 170 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx