gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:11:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 160 161 162 [163] 164 165 166 167 168 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399835 times)
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #4050 on: August 04, 2013, 01:44:41 AM »

What the f*** happens to the vocals at 1:23-1:24 in I Just Got My Pay?
Seriously...

A discipline daddy.
Nicko1234
« Reply #4051 on: August 04, 2013, 02:03:06 AM »

does it seem that there are two basic types of beach boys songs - uppers and downers?

Uppers
Fun, Fun, Fun
Good Vibrations
Surfin Safari
California Girls

Downers
Only With You
Til I Die
All This Is That
Sail On Sailor

Only With You isnt a downer.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4052 on: August 04, 2013, 07:01:41 AM »

Seriously...

I don't know what you mean - please explain.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: August 04, 2013, 11:56:01 AM »

does it seem that there are two basic types of beach boys songs - uppers and downers?

"Do you have any uppers?" - Brian Wilson, 1976

dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: August 04, 2013, 06:15:18 PM »

Quote from:  link=topic=8214.msg388623#msg388623 date=1375590259

its in the same category as "Wouldn't It Be Nice". It sounds upbeat on first glance but implies that there is some looming threat to their existing love.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: August 04, 2013, 06:23:46 PM »

Seriously...

Listen closely to the left channel. It sounds like whoever is singing turns into a little kid.

A discipline daddy.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: August 04, 2013, 07:00:31 PM »

Quote from:  link=topic=8214.msg388623#msg388623 date=1375590259

its in the same category as "Wouldn't It Be Nice". It sounds upbeat on first glance but implies that there is some looming threat to their existing love.

yeah, sure, if you want to look at everything from a negative viewpoint. 
None of those four songs are "downers" unless you think negatively and put yourself there.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: August 04, 2013, 07:54:49 PM »

Ok, so we all know that when POB came out, Mike and maybe Al were possibly upset that dennis didn't use any of his material for the band's albums, which is ridiculous.  So when Mike went on to form Celebration, were the other guys upset? I know some help was given by the others, but was Almosr Summer written specifically for Celebration and/or the movie? We all know al and Brian helped write it with mike, that's why I think it's kind odd. Or then when the next Celebration album came out, the guys thought: "hey! That remake of Gettin Hungry, She's just out to get you, how's Bout a little bit of your sweet lovin, and country pie are all great song, why couldn't we have had those on MIU or LA? Or were those tunes already considered out takes and useless for the beach boys?

Also, with Its A Beautiful Day being on a Soundtrack, did they originally want Celebration to do it or were they breaking up with the Celebration II album failing? 

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4058 on: August 05, 2013, 06:26:32 AM »

Seriously...

Listen closely to the left channel. It sounds like whoever is singing turns into a little kid.

I can hear something too in the left channel at that spot, but to me it doesn't sound to me the way you describe it at all. There seems to be an electronic beep that rises in pitch very fast. It's on both the bootleg and the official release, and only in the left channel. But it's not the vocal IMO.

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: August 06, 2013, 09:02:09 AM »

So almost everything from the Sunflower era has been released...except for What Can The Matter Be?

Anyone know what the song sounds like?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: August 06, 2013, 10:01:46 AM »

And…

Al's Raspberries Strawberries
Seasons in the Sun (Carl sings lead)
Carnival/Over the Waves (group vocals)
Walkin' (Brian and/or Al)
I'm Going Your Way (Dennis)
You Never Give Me Your Money (no clue)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 10:02:45 AM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: August 06, 2013, 02:38:45 PM »

And…

just steppin in here to help...

chorus of "In My Window" is based on the chorus of "Raspberries Strawberries"
"Seasons in the Sun"  is often booted
Carnival/Over the Waves (group vocals) is also commonly booted, makes me wonder if "What Can The Matter Be?" isn't part of that ... music to play at a Fair suite??
"Walkin' " and "I'm Going Your Way" are on the Get The Boot set....

that just leaves "You Never Give Me Your Money"  Beatle cover??

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: August 06, 2013, 03:29:56 PM »

And…

Carnival/Over the Waves (group vocals) is also commonly booted, makes me wonder if "What Can The Matter Be?" isn't part of that ... music to play at a Fair suite??

Good they never released 'You Never Give Me Your Money'. Typical harmless Macca ditty.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: August 06, 2013, 04:58:45 PM »

And…

Ah, I didn't realize we were including booted items.
I thought we were talking about official stuff released from box sets, rarity comps, and  theupcoming box set.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: August 09, 2013, 06:00:02 AM »

So...I've been looking for several days for the instrumental backing track to "Shut Down" (the first one, not Pt. 2). I've found a cappella, I've found early stereo mixes...no backing only.

Could somebody please point me in the right direction? Thanks!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4065 on: August 09, 2013, 08:02:42 AM »

So...I've been looking for several days for the instrumental backing track to "Shut Down" (the first one, not Pt. 2). I've found a cappella, I've found early stereo mixes...no backing only.

Could somebody please point me in the right direction? Thanks!
YouTube typically has it.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: August 10, 2013, 03:24:56 PM »

I found this Bruce quote on the BBB board (it's a couple months old) - regarding last year's "She Believes In Love Again" remake...

"FYI: We now have a very recent Beach Boys recording of "She Believes In Love Again" about 180 degrees opposite our 1985 released version. It was a possible track for our BB 50 studio album but it now lives in the BB/Capitol Records music vault. The track is completely mixed down to a stereo two track mix. "

Would have been really cool to see this on the box....

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: August 10, 2013, 03:33:08 PM »

And.....AXS TV will show the 2005 tribute to Brian special a few times over the next week.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: August 12, 2013, 01:19:21 PM »

I've always felt the 1985 Beach boys album, being Self-titled was incorrectly self-titled. In my opinion, the music on that album does not hold up like other albums that are self-titled by the band. Most notably the Beatles/white album, this album just remains BB85, but really Which Beach boys album would be the best as a self-titled album?

I was actually thinking 15 big ones, sunflower, 20/20, friends, surfs up.…not that I don't like these album titles, I just feel some of these albums deservedly could be titled The Beach Boys because it either respresnts the band's album as a complete work or thought or, like Sunflower or 20/20, the album has songs by ALL of the band members. Though I do understand that if they did have a self titled name after The Beatles/1968 White Album, the BB may have gotten even more flack from the "fans"/public for trying to capitalize on The Beatles "creativity."

Don't get me wrong, I love 1985 album as much as the next guy,but to call it the Beach boys is kind of undeserving in my opinion when Dennis was no longer in the band. Some think the Beach boys died when Dennis Wilson died. I don't agree with that, Mostly because I was born in 1984 and I want the Beach boys to be together while I am alive, Perhaps that is show so selfish of me.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: August 12, 2013, 01:23:01 PM »

I've always felt the 1985 Beach boys album, being Self-titled was incorrectly self-titled. In my opinion, the music on that album does not hold up like other albums that are self-titled by the band. Most notably the Beatles/white album, this album just remains BB85, but really Which Beach boys album would be the best as a self-titled album?

I was actually thinking 15 big ones, sunflower, 20/20, friends, surfs up.…not that I don't like these album titles, I just feel some of these albums deservedly could be titled The Beach Boys because it either respresnts the band's album as a complete work or thought or, like Sunflower or 20/20, the album has songs by ALL of the band members. Though I do understand that if they did have a self titled name after The Beatles/1968 White Album, the BB may have gotten even more flack from the "fans"/public for trying to capitalize on The Beatles "creativity."

Don't get me wrong, I love 1985 album as much as the next guy,but to call it the Beach boys is kind of undeserving in my opinion when Dennis was no longer in the band. Some think the Beach boys died when Dennis Wilson died. I don't agree with that, Mostly because I was born in 1984 and I want the Beach boys to be together while I am alive, Perhaps that is show so selfish of me.
Pet Sounds would be the most likely candidate, but for me, I think All Summer Long or Today would best represent a self-titled album name.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: August 12, 2013, 01:25:50 PM »

but really Which Beach boys album would be the best as a self-titled album?

Surfer Girl.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #4071 on: August 13, 2013, 09:04:00 AM »

I was actually thinking 15 big ones, sunflower, 20/20, friends, surfs up.…not that I don't like these album titles, I just feel some of these albums deservedly could be titled The Beach Boys because it either represents the band's album as a complete work or thought or, like Sunflower or 20/20, the album has songs by ALL of the band members. Though I do understand that if they did have a self titled name after The Beatles/1968 White Album, the BB may have gotten even more flack from the "fans"/public for trying to capitalize on The Beatles "creativity."

Very interesting points, punkinhead. While I sure like the 1985 album, I totally agree with you that it doesn't make any sense why namely that one was self-titled. Usually, the artists self-title the debut or later advanced work that brings out the best of their music. But The Beach Boys are strange beasts, so they once again ignored the rule sacrificing the band's name to critically one of the worst albums. I'm afraid even most of the hardcore fans don't take it seriously.

Re "Which BBs album would be the best as self-titled": first thing that came to my mind was Surf's Up. Shut Down Vol. 2 fits this category as well, because it has all - signature songs, (a bit) obscure stuff & fillers. I mean, The BBs are famous for their inconsistencies & it still is a solid group effort.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: August 13, 2013, 12:45:39 PM »

I was actually thinking 15 big ones, sunflower, 20/20, friends, surfs up.…not that I don't like these album titles, I just feel some of these albums deservedly could be titled The Beach Boys because it either represents the band's album as a complete work or thought or, like Sunflower or 20/20, the album has songs by ALL of the band members. Though I do understand that if they did have a self titled name after The Beatles/1968 White Album, the BB may have gotten even more flack from the "fans"/public for trying to capitalize on The Beatles "creativity."

Very interesting points, punkinhead. While I sure like the 1985 album, I totally agree with you that it doesn't make any sense why namely that one was self-titled. Usually, the artists self-title the debut or later advanced work that brings out the best of their music. But The Beach Boys are strange beasts, so they once again ignored the rule sacrificing the band's name to critically one of the worst albums. I'm afraid even most of the hardcore fans don't take it seriously.

Re "Which BBs album would be the best as self-titled": first thing that came to my mind was Surf's Up. Shut Down Vol. 2 fits this category as well, because it has all - signature songs, (a bit) obscure stuff & fillers. I mean, The BBs are famous for their inconsistencies & it still is a solid group effort.

That's so weird! I actually thought of Today and sh*t Down Vol 2 as well.

Then I got to thinking That's why God Made the Radio is a hip/fab title, but how cool would it have been to have a comeback album 50 Years later simply called the Beach Boys (2012)

~post of the century~
-Mikie

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: August 13, 2013, 01:37:42 PM »

If I were to originally want to name my album "sh*t Down Volume 2", I might want to change my mind and make it self-titled, too. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4074 on: August 13, 2013, 01:41:22 PM »

If I were to originally want to name my album "sh*t Down Volume 2", I might want to change my mind and make it self-titled, too. Wink

Cheesy

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 160 161 162 [163] 164 165 166 167 168 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx