gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680718 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 03:51:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Bill M and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 151 152 153 [154] 155 156 157 158 159 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1405192 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3825 on: June 08, 2013, 01:07:06 PM »

Who do you think will always be in the Beach Boys' backing bands?

I guess to do it correctly, we'll have to divide it up into the Mike and Brian camps, which realistically, is how i'd go about it:

Brian's Backing band:
Jeff Foskett
Scott Bennett
Nelson Bragg (hopefully!)
Darian Sahanaja
Probyn Gregory
Paul Mertens
Nick Walusko
-Brett Simons?

I wish they were still there:
Taylor Mills
Bob Lizik
Mike D'Amico
Jimmy Hines

Mike/Brucey:
-John Cowsill
-Mike Kowalski (I think)
-Scott Totten
-

I honestly thought Adrien Baker would be with them forever!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: June 08, 2013, 01:52:34 PM »

Mike Kowalski? Didn't he leave the band 6 years ago?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: June 08, 2013, 03:11:26 PM »

Yep, and also why John Cowsill is now the drummer. Why wishing Mikey D'Amico was still there? Did I miss something? He was the bass player for the C50 Tour last year.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: June 08, 2013, 03:39:11 PM »

Yep, and also why John Cowsill is now the drummer. Why wishing Mikey D'Amico was still there? Did I miss something? He was the bass player for the C50 Tour last year.

I couldn't remember if kowalski was with them or not, I don't pay enough attention to mikes shows.

As for D'Amico, i was thinking he was just in and out of Brian's band sporadically these past few tours with him. While I'm thinking about it, kinda wished Andy Paley was up there too.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: June 08, 2013, 05:06:17 PM »

I couldn't remember if kowalski was with them or not, I don't pay enough attention to mikes shows.

As for D'Amico, i was thinking he was just in and out of Brian's band sporadically these past few tours with him. While I'm thinking about it, kinda wished Andy Paley was up there too.
Mikey has been Brian's full-time drummer since Jim Hines left. Andy Paley was never full-time, he just filled in before Nelson came on board.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: June 08, 2013, 05:21:56 PM »

Who do you think will always be in the Beach Boys' backing bands?

Tim Bonhomme is by far the longest-standing member of any of the bands, having toured with the Beach Boys since 1996 -- and he was given the tour manager job last year for the reunion tour.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: June 08, 2013, 06:32:43 PM »

I was thinking Ed Carter was the longest one, when did he stop being a touring member? Was he with Al's touring band for a while?

I guess my touring band knowledge isn't quite up to par with everyone else's. still, a fun topic. I know Andy Paley wasn't full time, I just liked him being there. I thought Mike D'Amico left when Nelson came on and then Mike came back later on last decade.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3832 on: June 10, 2013, 01:19:27 AM »

Just for the yucks - and, er, because it's what I do - I compiled a list of the touring band from 1967-2011, and the results were a mild eye-opener. Subject to the usual possible errors, the top 5 longest band members are...

1 Mike Kowalski - 31 years (1968-71, 1973, 1977, 1981-2007)
2 Billy Hinsche - 25 years (1971-1995)
3 Ed Carter - 24 years (1968-70, 1972-95)
4 Mike Meros - 23 years (1979-2001)
5 Tim Bonhomme - 21 years (1993-date)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 01:23:25 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: June 10, 2013, 01:44:25 AM »

Just for the yucks - and, er, because it's what I do - I compiled a list of the touring band from 1967-2011, and the results were a mild eye-opener. Subject to the usual possible errors, the top 5 longest band members are...

Was Bonhomme really in the band that long ago? I thought he'd joined with the shakeup that saw Hinsche and Carter leaving, not a couple of years before.

And was Billy Hinsche in the band continually for that time? I was under the impression he was out for a year or two in the late 70s/early 80s.

I could easily be wrong about both, of course.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3834 on: June 10, 2013, 01:53:45 AM »

What the heck is Brian doing at 1:20:25???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPNVknCRpTk&feature=youtu.be&t=80m20s

Makes me laugh.

And Darian looks really old without his wig. ;) (1:20:30)

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3835 on: June 10, 2013, 02:12:55 AM »

Was Bonhomme really in the band that long ago? I thought he'd joined with the shakeup that saw Hinsche and Carter leaving, not a couple of years before.

And was Billy Hinsche in the band continually for that time? I was under the impression he was out for a year or two in the late 70s/early 80s.

I could easily be wrong about both, of course.

Took some of that info from Eric's excellent site, so a few unavoidable gaps, but by and large it's a good overview.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: June 12, 2013, 04:51:29 AM »

Music theory question: On the last line of the verses of "Good Vibrations", how come the bass line works? I'm talking about the

Bb - D - F - B - Bb - Ab - Gb - F

The B note (or should that be Cb?) is played underneath a Bb chord and should, according to my rudimentary knowledge, sound way off, but yet it doesn't. Can someone explain that to me?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: June 12, 2013, 04:56:27 AM »

Well, a Bbmaj chord has a B (or Cb) in it.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: June 12, 2013, 04:57:01 AM »

Makes me laugh.

And Darian looks really old without his wig. Wink (1:20:30)

It's not Darian. It's Garry Griffin. Darian did not tour with Brian in 2007 (at least not in Sweden), he was doing some Disney work.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: June 12, 2013, 04:58:21 AM »

Well, a Bbmaj chord has a B (or Cb) in it.
No, that would be an A, right?

Iirc, the same dissonance is also found in "Still I Dream Of It" on the words "... I'd fall in love", but there it actually sounds dissonant.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 05:27:35 AM by Fall Breaks » Logged

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3840 on: June 12, 2013, 04:59:51 AM »

Of course you are correct, ignore me. Thud

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: June 12, 2013, 05:27:12 AM »

Makes me laugh.

It's not Darian. It's Garry Griffin. Darian did not tour with Brian in 2007 (at least not in Sweden), he was doing some Disney work.
I think that was a joke on Micha's part. Wink

(Nice slapstick moment by Brian, I have to admit. Cheesy)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: June 12, 2013, 07:04:43 AM »

Seems to me Brian throws a ski at someone in the audience. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyhow, good fun video! I like Brian's unhip white dressing that looks very hip on him.

2Lowbacca: since finding this board I've noticed that you've got excellent English. You know even such rare words as "slapstick", "harken", "slick back" etc. Before I thought German people talk very bad in English. But after reading your's, Rocker's, Micha's & others' posts I totally changed my mind. The worst English speakers remain Russians, full stop.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: June 12, 2013, 07:21:06 AM »

2Lowbacca: since finding this board I've noticed that you've got excellent English. You know even such rare words as "slapstick", "harken", "slick back" etc. Before I thought German people talk very bad in English. But after reading your's, Rocker's, Micha's & others' posts I totally changed my mind. The worst English speakers remain Russians, full stop.
On behalf of all the German SmileySmilers:
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3844 on: June 12, 2013, 10:10:40 AM »

2Lowbacca: since finding this board I've noticed that you've got excellent English. You know even such rare words as "slapstick", "harken", "slick back" etc. Before I thought German people talk very bad in English. But after reading your's, Rocker's, Micha's & others' posts I totally changed my mind.

Thank you very much, but you've only read us write, not heard us talk. We're really very bad talkers. Wink 2 Nice of you!

Makes me laugh.

I think that was a joke on Micha's part. Wink

No, I really thought that was Darian and put that winking emoticon behind my phrase by mistake.

Wink 2

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: June 12, 2013, 12:26:08 PM »

I'm trying to get the album art for American Spring but have found a few versions.

Does anyone know which is the cover to the US release?   It seems it got different covers in different countries.
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: June 12, 2013, 12:53:36 PM »

I know Mark Linett and Alan Boyd are main people in getting archived Beach Boys material out there.  So what exactly does Dennis Wolfe do, that Mark and Alan don't, as a "Producer"?
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: June 12, 2013, 12:59:34 PM »

What's the color of love?

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: June 12, 2013, 01:00:32 PM »

I'm trying to get the album art for American Spring but have found a few versions.

Does anyone know which is the cover to the US release?   It seems it got different covers in different countries.

It is titled just "Spring" and has a sculpture of Marilyn's (I think) face (Diane's is on the back cover) with greenish lighting.

(Edit:)  http://www.amazon.com/Spring-Brian-Wilson-Related-Honeys/dp/B00008LDY6/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1371068338&sr=1-4&keywords=spring+brian+wilson
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 01:20:19 PM by Les P » Logged
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: June 12, 2013, 01:19:30 PM »

Does anyone know which is the cover to the US release?   It seems it got different covers in different countries.

It is titled just "Spring" and has a sculpture of Marilyn's (I think) face (Diane's is on the back cover) with greenish lighting.  (I was unsuccessful in posting a photo).

Thanks for that Les!  Much Appreciated :D
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 151 152 153 [154] 155 156 157 158 159 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx