gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:39:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 and 47 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 149 150 151 [152] 153 154 155 156 157 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399301 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3775 on: May 16, 2013, 03:42:19 PM »

does this remind anyone of the Beatles song "Because"? For some reason it reminds me of it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGXhpRNTBxw

damn these kids with their "I'm 14 and modern music sucks" comments.
i used to be one of those kids   Wink

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: May 18, 2013, 06:00:33 AM »

Not sure if this has been asked before, but who is singing the Dom Dom Kingdom part on Radio King Dom? Blondie?

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3777 on: May 18, 2013, 06:27:09 AM »

Not sure if this has been asked before, but who is singing the Dom Dom Kingdom part on Radio King Dom? Blondie?

I always thought it was Carl (I was under a vague impression, I don't know from where, that he and Brian were the only Beach Boys on the track), but listening again it sounds very like Billy Hinsche, actually... doesn't sound like Blondie to my ears.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3778 on: May 18, 2013, 06:53:28 AM »

I always thought it was Carl (I was under a vague impression, I don't know from where, that he and Brian were the only Beach Boys on the track), but listening again it sounds very like Billy Hinsche, actually... doesn't sound like Blondie to my ears.

You could be right!
Definitely doesn't sound like Carl to me, but you never know!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3779 on: May 18, 2013, 07:46:18 AM »

You could be right!

I sorta thought it sounded like Jack R., but I was unsure if he was able to sing anything *quite* that well
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3780 on: May 20, 2013, 06:25:12 AM »

Only heard Walkin' for the first time today, was this melody re-used for Morning Beat?  Sounds really similar!

Also not a question just a statement, just heard Lazy Lizzie for the first time too, where has it been all my life?!  Quality Smiley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3781 on: May 20, 2013, 02:31:26 PM »

You could be right!

I sorta thought it sounded like Jack R., but I was unsure if he was able to sing anything *quite* that well

Dennis, surely.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3782 on: May 20, 2013, 09:16:14 PM »

Only heard Walkin' for the first time today, was this melody re-used for Morning Beat?  Sounds really similar!

Sounds about right to me: http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/20/800088/walkin-morningbeat.mp3

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3783 on: May 21, 2013, 06:23:54 PM »

What exactly are the 'bell goodies' on the Cabin Essence fade? Some kind of tuned percussion?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #3784 on: May 22, 2013, 04:18:43 AM »

Not a question, but I just wanted to say Happy 47th Birthday to Pet Sounds!
 w00t!
It's not a jubilee, but I'll join you anyway in congratulating this stellar record: Happy Birthday, Mr. (or Miss?) Pet Sounds!

Dennis, surely.
Sounds about right to me.

As for the CE fade ?, methinks it is someone hitting tambourine's separate metals with stick. I mean, theoretically it's possible, because metals can create chimey sound when necessary, especially if they are flat & light in weight as in tambourine or coins, f.ex. If what I said is correct, then it's a very inventive & cool arrangement. And yet another evidence of Brian's creativity & unconventional mind.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3785 on: May 22, 2013, 09:10:35 AM »

Why are all live recording from 1977-78 featuring Charles Lloyd? He's alright but his flute gets incredibly annoying after a couple of songs and he features on ALL of them. Why did the band feel the need for the constant fluting?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3786 on: May 22, 2013, 09:26:46 AM »

Why are all live recording from 1977-78 featuring Charles Lloyd? He's alright but his flute gets incredibly annoying after a couple of songs and he features on ALL of them. Why did the band feel the need for the constant fluting?
They were pretending to be Jethro Tull. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3787 on: May 22, 2013, 02:51:48 PM »

I always thought that was odd too cuz it was around those years they weren't as creative in the studio as they were 5 years earlier. I do appreciate his efforts with feel flows, all this is that and Airplane in concert. But the years you mentioned l, those were the years the "TM-ers" really took over the "creative flow" so you have mike and al calling the shots, and since he was a fellow follower of TM, they melded together. Plus he was in the Celebration band, so you know mike loved the guy…no pun intended.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3788 on: May 23, 2013, 05:20:41 PM »

Have you guys checked out Charles Lloyd's jazz stuff? Dude is seriously talented. He put out a CD recently that got some srs 'wow' stuff from me, need to check it out again.

IDG that argument though, like are you saying why hire him (dude is ridiculously talented) or why let him play all the time (dude is ridiculously talented + I'd rather hear flute solos than noodly guitar crap over those songs any day of the week). It's like saying 'why hire a horn section because they never put horns on Good Vibrations', I guess?

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3789 on: May 23, 2013, 07:41:49 PM »

Can someone direct me to the correct American Spring album cover(s)? I'm so confused, seen a lot all over the Internet, not sure what's fake and what's really.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3790 on: May 24, 2013, 01:36:12 AM »

Have you guys checked out Charles Lloyd's jazz stuff? Dude is seriously talented. He put out a CD recently that got some srs 'wow' stuff from me, need to check it out again.

IDG that argument though, like are you saying why hire him (dude is ridiculously talented) or why let him play all the time (dude is ridiculously talented + I'd rather hear flute solos than noodly guitar crap over those songs any day of the week). It's like saying 'why hire a horn section because they never put horns on Good Vibrations', I guess?

Absolutely. And if you think of it, it was a good move for band unity -- Carl and Dennis want to be more progressive, Al and Mike don't but are into TM, so get in one of their TM friends who just happens to be one of the finest jazz musicians of his generation.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3791 on: May 24, 2013, 11:32:46 AM »

is the guitar that becomes apparent in Sail on Sailor on the "sail and stumble, never crumble" part, played by Carl?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3792 on: May 24, 2013, 12:54:05 PM »

You mean the wah-wah one that carries on throughout? I thought it was Blondie, as dictated to him by B-Dub down the phone.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3793 on: May 24, 2013, 03:22:46 PM »

I was reading one of the last Add Some Music issues which had an interview about the Honeys Ecstacy album, and the interview was conducted by none other than our own Andrew G Doe…anyways, he was interviewing someone behind the scenes and he mentioned that they recorded a newer version of The One You Can't Have" for the album but they didn't like their vocals, so it was cut from the album and he said it may be a b-side one day, but of course I'm sure that never happened.

Anyways, has anyone ever heard this rumored outtake from the album? I'd be I retested I hearing it, it's prolly light years better than half that album! Wink

~post of the century~
-Mikie

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #3794 on: May 24, 2013, 05:58:58 PM »

is the guitar that becomes apparent in Sail on Sailor on the "sail and stumble, never crumble" part, played by Carl?

Carl played the morse-code guitar pattern in Sail On, Sailor, as noted below:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,12683.msg261034.html#msg261034

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3795 on: May 24, 2013, 06:01:19 PM »

Carl played the morse-code guitar pattern in Sail On, Sailor, as noted below:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,12683.msg261034.html#msg261034

Thanks  Smiley

Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: May 25, 2013, 03:45:40 PM »

Just heard Little Egypt by the Coasters and noted the reference the Beach Boys made to it in Amusement Parks USA. Welcome to 1965.

Watch out for snakes!
zachrwolfe
« Reply #3797 on: May 25, 2013, 04:15:47 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:08:48 PM by zatch » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: May 25, 2013, 05:45:06 PM »

Am I alone that Brian when he was younger sounded a little bit like Kermit the frog?  When he talked I mean.  I'm listening to the Smile sessions and I can't help but picture Kermit the frog every time Brian speaks.  Personally I think it adds to the listening experience.

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: May 25, 2013, 11:33:33 PM »

Strictly speaking, he didn't play flute on every song in concert. For instance, out of the 28 songs that Charles can be visually identified playing on in Largo, January 1977, he played flute on 6:
Sloop John B, Airplane, It's OK, Love Is A Woman, Everyone's In Love With You and Feel Flows. Out of those, four studio versions of these songs originally featured flute.

The remainder of the songs break down thus:
Percussion (maracas, cowbell, shaker): 13, almost half the set.
Saxophone: 6
Absent from stage: 3

Interesting figures considering he was primarily a saxophonist/flautist.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 08:06:58 PM by metal flake paint » Logged

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 149 150 151 [152] 153 154 155 156 157 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx