gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 02:51:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 146 147 148 [149] 150 151 152 153 154 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1410360 times)
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3700 on: April 12, 2013, 08:56:59 AM »

Play it fucking loud and you'll hear it.

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: April 12, 2013, 09:46:01 AM »

Play it fucking loud and you'll hear it.

Did the job

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: April 12, 2013, 08:59:00 PM »

What is that voice saying at 2:16 in the mono I Just Wasn't Made For These Times? Also does anyone know what that "futuristic noise" that comes in at about 0:05?

The sound at 5 seconds is a tape being rewound by accident. I'm not sure about what is said at the 2:16 second mark of the mono version.

I can't hear a rewound tape at 0:05, the only sound I detect there is a fuzz guitar or bass, but that's at many more spots throughout the arrangement, not just at 0:05. The voice seems to say "Sssst."

It's there and once you actually notice it, you will know that there is no way it is a guitar or bass and it is no where else in the song.

Easiest way to notice for those who aren't able to hear it is to listen to the first 10 seconds of the stereo track, stereo vocal track, stereo backing track, and then listen to the mono mix. It'll hit you like a ton of bricks, if not, you have a problem.
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: April 12, 2013, 10:21:48 PM »

I've been reading some of the Gaines book and I've started to think: does Dennis sort of remind you of those people at the lottery who burn through it in a year (or even in a few months)?
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3704 on: April 13, 2013, 11:31:06 AM »

*anybody* have sheet music they're willing to share of bicycle rider/h&v chorus? Pretty please?

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #3705 on: April 13, 2013, 12:53:51 PM »

Are there any books which delve into the chart positions of the songs worldwide? Is the data at http://www.mountvernonandfairway.de/charts.htm accurate? If so, does anyone know where was that information sourced from?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 12:56:24 PM by Quzi » Logged

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: April 14, 2013, 04:21:02 AM »

As usual-the answer is that you have to go to AGD's site!!!! http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/index.html
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: April 14, 2013, 05:06:12 AM »

As usual-the answer is that you have to go to AGD's site!!!! http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/index.html

This is fantastic (as is most of Andrew's website) however, I'm looking for International figures.

The reason for this is I'm trying to get the band on Wikipedia's "List of best-selling music artists"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists. The Telegraph reported the other day that the band have sold "over 100 million records" which is all well and good, except we need some proof in addition to this claim in order for them to make it onto the list.

The band has 28.2 million certified units sold, which means I need to make a solid argument that the band has sold an additional 70 million units and explain why they haven't been properly counted. The angle I'm taking is that the band achieved great international success, particularly from '65 to '70 however most markets they were successful in didn't audit record sales at this time. In order to do this, I need to cite international chart positions of singles and albums to prove they were a band capable of achieving these sales.

Also, if anyone has sales figures for ANY release (bar RIAA certifications), it would be very, very, very appreciated if you shared them.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: April 14, 2013, 07:16:35 AM »

This is fantastic (as is most of Andrew's website) however, I'm looking for International figures.

The reason for this is I'm trying to get the band on Wikipedia's "List of best-selling music artists"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists. The Telegraph reported the other day that the band have sold "over 100 million records" which is all well and good, except we need some proof in addition to this claim in order for them to make it onto the list.

The band has 28.2 million certified units sold, which means I need to make a solid argument that the band has sold an additional 70 million units and explain why they haven't been properly counted. The angle I'm taking is that the band achieved great international success, particularly from '65 to '70 however most markets they were successful in didn't audit record sales at this time. In order to do this, I need to cite international chart positions of singles and albums to prove they were a band capable of achieving these sales.

Also, if anyone has sales figures for ANY release (bar RIAA certifications), it would be very, very, very appreciated if you shared them.

It's a shame that seemingly no one is keeping track of this.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: April 15, 2013, 09:35:09 PM »

Who's singing the bass vocal in "Rock With Me Henry", is it Brian?

It's a shame that seemingly no one is keeping track of this.

You're to blame for my procrastination + thread creation yesterday  LOL

"A/S/L"?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: April 15, 2013, 09:57:26 PM »

About a hundred or so pages back, somebody asked what I thought was a good question and interesting topic. When the Beach Boys played at the White House in 1983, what songs did they do? Was it recorded/filmed?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3711 on: April 15, 2013, 10:39:13 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 12:43:00 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3712 on: April 15, 2013, 10:39:50 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 12:23:02 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: April 15, 2013, 11:26:23 PM »

I went to get my quarterly dose of Brian recording Good Vibrations from the Doin It Again film, and it was blocked on youtube. That footage should be available as a public service. It is not right that it is blocked. Am I right??

It's not blocked for me at this youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8rd53WuojE

"A/S/L"?
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3714 on: April 15, 2013, 11:28:57 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 12:23:34 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3715 on: April 16, 2013, 01:26:56 AM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 12:23:46 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: April 16, 2013, 01:33:06 AM »

I was over at the bloo. I like to check there occasionally.  I found something out. HE's BEEN ELIGIBLE FOR  22 YEARS. ELIGIBLE. INDUCT. NOW. If PauHL MchARnNt-ee Cahn Bee IndUchTed...

Brian's already in as a Beach Boy, and frankly hasn't done anything like enough as a solo artist to deserve comparison with someone like McCartney, who had a nearly twenty-year streak of massive solo hits.

Although why people care one iota about that Hall of Fame thing, I don't know. It seems to be an American thing because I don't ever see anyone from any other countries complaining about it. Is Jann Wenner's opinion *that* important to you?

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3717 on: April 16, 2013, 01:38:28 AM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 12:24:20 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3718 on: April 16, 2013, 03:02:33 AM »

What is that voice saying at 2:16 in the mono I Just Wasn't Made For These Times? Also does anyone know what that "futuristic noise" that comes in at about 0:05?

The sound at 5 seconds is a tape being rewound by accident. I'm not sure about what is said at the 2:16 second mark of the mono version.

I can't hear a rewound tape at 0:05, the only sound I detect there is a fuzz guitar or bass, but that's at many more spots throughout the arrangement, not just at 0:05. The voice seems to say "Sssst."

It's there and once you actually notice it, you will know that there is no way it is a guitar or bass and it is no where else in the song.

Easiest way to notice for those who aren't able to hear it is to listen to the first 10 seconds of the stereo track, stereo vocal track, stereo backing track, and then listen to the mono mix. It'll hit you like a ton of bricks, if not, you have a problem.

In that case I have a problem. The fuzz guitar seems to have more reverb on the mono version, in the stereo version it's in the left channel. What syllable of the lyrics is that sound you're referring to on?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: April 21, 2013, 12:07:11 PM »

So, after finally getting an original '83 SMiLE 'leg, I have to wonder what other LP editions there are

I have:

-1983 Original version [with Liner Note sheet - a funny read I must say  Grin ]
-Vigotone 3LP set with poster and Session sheets [I know there are a few different issues of this, i don't care about those]
-Sea of Tunes LP [I know there are a few different issues of this, i don't care about those]

any others that have passed me by?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3720 on: April 21, 2013, 11:26:39 PM »

There's a 1985 version: basically it's the '83 rebooted with the pukka tracks replacing some of the substitutes. Insert sheet is different too. Another BE artifact, despite promising the person who supplied the tapes he'd not copy it.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: April 23, 2013, 08:51:15 AM »

what's the deepest Beach Boys song? Here's some candidates

Day In the Life of a Tree
Long Promised Road
All This Is That
Caroline No
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: April 23, 2013, 08:53:40 AM »

Nothing is deeper than Til I Die

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: April 23, 2013, 09:01:00 AM »

Nothing is deeper than Til I Die

can't believe i forgot to mention that one
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: April 23, 2013, 11:32:14 AM »

There's a 1985 version: basically it's the '83 rebooted with the pukka tracks replacing some of the substitutes. Insert sheet is different too. Another BE artifact, despite promising the person who supplied the tapes he'd not copy it.

Sorry to sound stupid, but 'BE'?

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 146 147 148 [149] 150 151 152 153 154 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx