gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681024 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 04:05:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Rebel and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 136 137 138 [139] 140 141 142 143 144 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1415894 times)
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3450 on: January 19, 2013, 05:55:03 AM »

Who besides Ricky, played drums at "the" Carnegie Hall show (the one used for two of the tracks on Endless Harmony)?  Mike Kowalski?  Dennis Dragon?  And since that version of "Long Promised Road" features flute, is it correct to assume the drums on it are being played by the "other" drummer, while Ricky played flute, or did Charles Lloyd also take part in that show? 

Thanks!

I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure Ricky drums for the entire show.  I have the radio broadcast of a portion of one of the shows and it's definitely him throughout, the drumming is too good to be anyone else.  And I think Charles Lloyd was in the backing band at that time, so the flute is most likely him.
Of course, if they'd just release the damned shows in some form, we'd have a definitive answer.  Dreaming, I know...
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: January 19, 2013, 10:06:01 PM »

Thanks for your input and I wholeheartedly agree.  It was supposed to be in the pipeline but nothing's come of it since.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3452 on: January 19, 2013, 10:59:03 PM »

Anyone got the Instrumental version of Isn't it Time?

I wish I did.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3453 on: January 20, 2013, 12:57:51 AM »

Who besides Ricky, played drums at "the" Carnegie Hall show (the one used for two of the tracks on Endless Harmony)?  Mike Kowalski?  Dennis Dragon?  And since that version of "Long Promised Road" features flute, is it correct to assume the drums on it are being played by the "other" drummer, while Ricky played flute, or did Charles Lloyd also take part in that show? 

Thanks!

I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure Ricky drums for the entire show.  I have the radio broadcast of a portion of one of the shows and it's definitely him throughout, the drumming is too good to be anyone else.  And I think Charles Lloyd was in the backing band at that time, so the flute is most likely him.
Of course, if they'd just release the damned shows in some form, we'd have a definitive answer.  Dreaming, I know...

Backing band for the 9/24/71 Carnegie show (I know, a year off) was:

Mike Kowalski
Ed Carter
Bobby Torres
Ricky Fataar
Billy Hinsche
Daryl Dragon
Joel Peskin
Roger Newman
Sal Marquez
Glenn Ferris
Mike Price

Charles Lloyd was definitely touring with them in 1972.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3454 on: January 22, 2013, 10:01:18 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 02:19:08 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3455 on: January 22, 2013, 10:13:29 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 02:10:12 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3456 on: January 22, 2013, 10:15:04 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 02:10:31 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: January 23, 2013, 01:12:06 AM »

What is the second best selling non-compilation album released by the band, after what I'm presuming is now Pet Sounds?

Little Deuce Coupe.

Anyone have any theories as to why this should be?
Does this prove that Capitol were correct from the beginning that the Beach Boys should have quit singing about surfing and just sang about cars to appeal to mainstream America?

Please delete my account
Gohi
« Reply #3458 on: January 23, 2013, 06:19:07 AM »

Are the BPM's of Be My Baby and Wouldn't It Be Nice close ? I've been thinking that they are secretly the same song. Like, they are encoded with the same damn groove. But, it is in a secret, discreet manner. Wouldn't it Be Nice emphasizes those swinging eighth notes, while, Be My Baby has a different emphasis. I have a feeling ,  that there is some replication of Be My Baby's "feel"( in some subtle way) on Wouldn't It Be Nice. Maybe there's a critical mass of shared musicians between those two tracks to lend them a similar spirit. Or, are they just the two greatest compositions of their respective composers ? Brian finally replicated, or topped Spector with that one. I swear it's the same feel ! It's just...errr...anyone think so?
I don't hear this at all. Sorry.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: January 23, 2013, 08:57:21 AM »

What is the second best selling non-compilation album released by the band, after what I'm presuming is now Pet Sounds?

Little Deuce Coupe.

Does this prove that Capitol were correct from the beginning that the Beach Boys should have quit singing about surfing and just sang about cars to appeal to mainstream America?

I dunno, my theory as to why it should be is that it is a great album.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: January 23, 2013, 11:11:27 AM »

Little Deuce Coupe.

I dunno, my theory as to why it should be is that it is a great album.

It sure is, but so are Surfer Girl and Shut Down vol. 2 and All Summer Long....

Please delete my account
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3461 on: January 23, 2013, 11:37:51 AM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 02:13:30 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: January 23, 2013, 04:01:27 PM »

It's those pesky mind gangsters!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3463 on: January 23, 2013, 08:33:31 PM »

Little Deuce Coupe was a bigger seller than Surfer Girl because of Surfer Girl, I'll bet. It was momentum for Beach Boys built up over the year; that and maybe the car theme registered in late 63 big-time. Same reason Concert was their first number one; nothing to do with the quality of the record; it was just momentum built up from a year that had Fun, Fun, Fun, Don't Worry Baby, I Get Around, and so on.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: January 24, 2013, 03:10:35 PM »

I have a question about the picture of Brian when he has the platinum record of Endless Summer....is he in a pool or what? It's a pretty amazing pose really.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3465 on: January 24, 2013, 03:17:34 PM »

I have a question about the picture of Brian when he has the platinum record of Endless Summer....is he in a pool or what? It's a pretty amazing pose really.
I think it's in his home pool, yeah.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: January 24, 2013, 04:06:02 PM »

I wish him smashing the record immediately after had been captured too...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3467 on: January 24, 2013, 04:06:50 PM »

I wish him smashing the record immediately after had been captured too...
Would have been a great cover for "love you"

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: January 24, 2013, 04:24:55 PM »

nah, for miu. if ya know what i mean..

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: January 24, 2013, 04:47:28 PM »

At 0:29 into "Love Is a Woman", does anyone else hear sniffing sounds in the background? Is someone doing something they're not supposed to?
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: January 24, 2013, 05:11:23 PM »

At 0:29 into "Love Is a Woman", does anyone else hear sniffing sounds in the background? Is someone doing something they're not supposed to?
That ain't sniffing, that's some kind of scraping between a rough and a rather smooth kind of surface, I'd say. Probably caused by some instrument and/or equipment.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 05:13:48 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: January 25, 2013, 03:48:26 AM »

Is that Bruce taking the highs on Got to Know the Woman? It doesn't sound like Brian too much to me.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #3472 on: January 25, 2013, 02:09:26 PM »

Apparently Roy Wood is on It's OK. I had no idea, would love to know more about that session!

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: January 25, 2013, 02:23:29 PM »

Apparently Roy Wood is on It's OK. I had no idea, would love to know more about that session!

Yeah, Wood and a couple of Wizzard are on there, playing the sax. There was an interview on The Record Producers about two years ago where Wood talked a little about being invited to record with them because Brian liked Forever (Wood's Spector/Beach Boys/doo-wop track). He said he sang some vocals around the same mic as Brian and Carl, as well, but he's not credited for vocals on It's OK, so either they were wiped, mis-credited, or he sang on something else that wasn't released.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: January 25, 2013, 03:26:28 PM »

Is that Bruce taking the highs on Got to Know the Woman? It doesn't sound like Brian too much to me.

Check out this link:

http://recordingsunflower.blogspot.com.au/2008/02/track-4-got-to-know-woman.html

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 136 137 138 [139] 140 141 142 143 144 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx