gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681069 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 20, 2024, 08:56:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 115 116 117 [118] 119 120 121 122 123 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1416876 times)
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2925 on: October 05, 2012, 05:27:17 AM »

OK here are some more

1. Why wasn't Marks invited back in 65? He seemed like a pretty nice guy and with Murry out, I would think he would want back in. If not then, why not invite him after Bruce bailed in 71?
2. did Carl and Murry get along? He had to actually live with the guy until he was 18 (which would have been a few months after he was fired). It seemed that Murry wasn't as harsh on Carl.
3. What is the premise of the Help Me Rhonda sessions? Wasn't Murry already fired by then? How did he get in the studio?
4. Why did Mr Rovell not object about letting his sixteen year old daughter sleep with a 21 year old guy? Was it a $$$ issue?
5. is it really true that Carl got expelled from high school for sneaking into the girls locker room?

5. No. Legend says he was expelled for going to the bathroom without permission. Hopefully not at his desk.

getting expelled for going to the bathroom without permission? Dear God, that's a petty offense. If people still got expelled for that, everyone would be expelled. I have heard though that Carl was notorious for playing hookie so that might have been a contributing factor.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: October 05, 2012, 07:50:41 AM »

To anyone who's watching the new season of The Office, does the new guy (played by Clark Duke) remind you of Brian? It's like they deliberately gave him the Pet Sounds-era look.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 09:06:01 AM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: October 05, 2012, 08:21:37 AM »

To anyone who's watching the new season of The Office, does the new guy (played by Clark Duke) remind you of Brian? It's like they deliberately gave him the Pet Sounds-era look.

More like Alan Carr:

“We live in divisive times.”
halblaineisgood
« Reply #2928 on: October 06, 2012, 10:27:05 PM »

When Doc Pomus worked with Mort Shuman, it was considered "writing a song"... but when Mike works with Brian, it isn't? Mike wrote only the lyrics and it could have been anybody. That's an attitude that I don't understand.

It's (sort of) more upsetting than a case of hate 4 the Lovester. It's a lack of respect for the completed song. It could have been anybody. What does that have to do with anything? Who actually finished the song?  A finished song is a thing of beauty, I say.

I've got my own thoughts. I'd like to hear yours.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 03:25:34 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: October 07, 2012, 03:15:31 AM »

So that surprise ending/credits video on Doin' it Again was fantastic.

http://youtu.be/ahgKAi9pDpY

When and where was this recorded? And where's Denny??!?!?
Is there more footage from this video?

Ian discussed it here:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13254.150.html

So it seems that there would be more footage. AFAIK, Dennis never sang this live with the group.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
sheknowsmetoowell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: October 07, 2012, 07:45:56 AM »

What's up with "Don't Let Her Know She's An Angel"? I'm not talking about the Sweet Insanity version. I have two versions, both just vocal and piano. One sounds like Brian, and the other one is in a higher voice. Is this someone else or has the pitch been adjusted? When did this song originate?

Anyone? Please and thank you  Grin
Nicko1234
« Reply #2931 on: October 07, 2012, 08:34:40 AM »

When Doc Pomus worked with Mort Shuman, it was considered "writing a song"... but when Mike works with Brian, it isn't? Mike wrote only the lyrics and it could have been anybody. That's an attitude that I don't understand.

It's (sort of) more upsetting than a case of hate 4 the Lovester. It's a lack of respect for the completed song. It could have been anybody. What does that have to do with anything? Who actually finished the song?  A finished song is a thing of beauty, I say.

I've got my own thoughts. I'd like to hear yours.

It is strange with The Beach Boys. It`s the only group I can think of where the lyricists are considered to be almost an irrelevance. For example, when people are talking about a band like The Smiths nobody would ever say that Morrissey wasn`t a songwriter just because he didn`t have a hand in the music. Yet with the The Beach Boys it seems like the music is the only important thing.
sheknowsmetoowell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: October 08, 2012, 06:18:13 AM »

Is this Brian?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJE9Obg_N80&feature=plcp
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: October 08, 2012, 06:19:59 AM »

It sounds like Mike singing through Brian.
Weird.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
TerryWogan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: October 08, 2012, 07:30:55 AM »

Definitely sounds like him, but perhaps the recording's being played back slightly too fast?
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: October 08, 2012, 08:32:21 AM »

Definitely sounds like him, but perhaps the recording's being played back slightly too fast?

Correct.

dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: October 08, 2012, 02:24:55 PM »

does anyone here think that Girls On the Beach, In My Room, The Warmth of the Sun and Surfer Girl are all the same song? Grin
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: October 08, 2012, 02:27:34 PM »

does anyone here think that Girls On the Beach, In My Room, The Warmth of the Sun and Surfer Girl are all the same song? Grin

Variation on a common doo-woppy chord progression. Surfer Girl is actually so much more complex than it sounds on a cursory listen. It's incredible.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #2938 on: October 08, 2012, 02:48:21 PM »

Anyone else surprised to hear Little Richard's original version of Tutti Frutti on the B side of Kokomo? I just assumed  it was some 80's redo. Nope, it's the original, with a slight kokomo mastering. I've never seen Gallowstale, but I guess Tutti Frutti was in there somewhere.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #2939 on: October 08, 2012, 03:03:59 PM »

I don't.

However,  I do think those tracks are very tasteful examples of not f***ing with the formula.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 03:07:12 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2940 on: October 08, 2012, 09:30:11 PM »

Anybody got sheet music for I Went to Sleep?

Or at least a video of somebody's *hands* playing the piano part?

I could figure it out, but I want to run up to my friend's house tomorrow and try to teach it to him.

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2941 on: October 08, 2012, 10:49:36 PM »

I hear a big similarity between Girls on the Beach and Surfer Girl, the rest of them are all completely different.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #2942 on: October 09, 2012, 01:37:12 AM »

Anybody got sheet music for I Went to Sleep?

Or at least a video of somebody's *hands* playing the piano part?

I could figure it out, but I want to run up to my friend's house tomorrow and try to teach it to him.

If elected president of smiley smile I can promise video of somebody's *hands* playing the piano part for every song in the Beach Boys catalog - and, I want it available online and free, for every registered member.  My opponent thinks you should learn those parts yourself !

some of you know what it's like, growing up without access to accurate sheet music.  it may have been too expensive,  you and your kids  gettin' hungry and having to choose between  cool clear water, or buying vegatables - my heart goes out to you. Food won out. But, you starved musically.

I'm telling you that  learning I wanna pick you up's got nothin to do with pickin yourself up by  bootstraps!
If you don't know where you'll sleep tonight, It's pretty darn hard to learn I went to sleep!! Huzzzzah!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: October 09, 2012, 04:45:40 AM »

Assume this is boot-sourced but it ain't from the one illustrated. Anyone give me a pointer please?

“We live in divisive times.”
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: October 10, 2012, 12:26:21 PM »

I was just listening to the 78 of H&V (alt. take)/GV (early take) from Record Store day. I had a revelation that the 2nd disc's labels are wrong, when I played the early take GV side, it plays H&V alt. take, and vice versa. Does anyone else have this strange yet noticeable mistake on their 78?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: October 10, 2012, 12:39:31 PM »

I remember on a thread here, we were talking about songs that morphed into others or even just bits/lines from songs are in others...anyways, someone said something about A Thing or Two morphed into Do it Again or something along those lines, can someone help me hear/see what they're talking about?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: October 10, 2012, 12:48:12 PM »

I remember on a thread here, we were talking about songs that morphed into others or even just bits/lines from songs are in others...anyways, someone said something about A Thing or Two morphed into Do it Again or something along those lines, can someone help me hear/see what they're talking about?

Do you hear the guitar lick throughout Thing, particularly at the end? Then check the vocal melody of the Again verse. For extra fun, then check the chorus of ABBA's On And On And On, then Mike's solo version of same.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: October 10, 2012, 12:51:33 PM »

Do you hear the guitar lick throughout Thing, particularly at the end? Then check the vocal melody of the Again verse. For extra fun, then check the chorus of ABBA's On And On And On, then Mike's solo version of same.
Thanks! I appreciate that.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: October 10, 2012, 06:43:36 PM »

are there any what you would call "Half-Assed Beach Boys fans" on here besides myself?
I've never much cared for the "traditional sound" of the group and the only stuff I like from them is the "post surf pre-death of murry era"
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: October 10, 2012, 06:47:44 PM »

are there any what you would call "Half-Assed Beach Boys fans" on here besides myself?
I've never much cared for the "traditional sound" of the group and the only stuff I like from them is the "post surf pre-death of murry era"

I dunno if there are many here on this board, but a lot of so-called hipsters share your taste.
Really, you'll come around if you give it a chance, eventually. There are some real gems from that early period. And also, it's so fun and interesting to watch the musical path these guys went on album-by-album, single-by-single.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 115 116 117 [118] 119 120 121 122 123 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx