gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 08:56:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 81 82 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1410449 times)
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1900 on: October 01, 2011, 12:53:19 PM »

What happened to Ghost?

Was he banned because of the gay thing?

Did he hijack this board?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: October 01, 2011, 01:02:36 PM »

Wouldn't put it past him. It's kinda odd that the board went down just days after he was banned.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: October 01, 2011, 03:50:56 PM »

What's the deal with "Michael, Row That Boat Ashore"? It seems to have been done at a time when Brian (presumably) was really into oldies (I'm guessing 15 Big Ones sessions for the obvious reasons of getting him back in the groove?) but... it's such a weird choice, being a Negro hymn and all, along with something like "Battle Hymn Of The Republic" (and even "Shortenin' Bread"). Was Brian taking the piss outta Mike with that one too or what?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: October 01, 2011, 04:53:53 PM »

Many thousands of sites were brought down by the hack. It had nothing to do with anyone here.

http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=11703
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: October 01, 2011, 11:31:07 PM »

I blame the ghost of 1967 SMiLE!  Shocked

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1905 on: October 02, 2011, 06:31:13 PM »

What's the deal with "Michael, Row That Boat Ashore"? It seems to have been done at a time when Brian (presumably) was really into oldies (I'm guessing 15 Big Ones sessions for the obvious reasons of getting him back in the groove?) but... it's such a weird choice, being a Negro hymn and all, along with something like "Battle Hymn Of The Republic" (and even "Shortenin' Bread"). Was Brian taking the piss outta Mike with that one too or what?
I always thought the backing vocals for Michael Row were tremendous! I wonder what a cleaned up version sounds like. Don't forget Runnin' Bear, another oddity in that bunch....it kinda has that Shortenin' Bread feel with the sax or bari-sax, whichever it is.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: October 05, 2011, 12:47:56 PM »

Is there any place online to watch the complete Wrecking Crew documentary?  I really want to see this!
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: October 07, 2011, 02:36:37 AM »

who is Ron Wilson? i keep seeing this guy mentioned everywhere but googling comes up with nothing relevant. it seems like some inside joke

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classics_Selected_by_Brian_Wilson
"We're Together Again" (Ron Wilson)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1908 on: October 07, 2011, 03:00:55 AM »

who is Ron Wilson? i keep seeing this guy mentioned everywhere but googling comes up with nothing relevant. it seems like some inside joke

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classics_Selected_by_Brian_Wilson
"We're Together Again" (Ron Wilson)

Not the Ron Wilson from The Surfaris, as is often assumed: Brian co-produced a single for him in 1968 - "I'll Keep On Loving You/As Tears Go By" (Columbia 444636).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: October 09, 2011, 09:12:00 PM »

what's up with "Funky Pretty"?  How involved was Brian on that tune, i hear his finger prints more on that song than any others on the album.  Was he actively into that song or was it just a melody the rest of the band built off
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1910 on: October 09, 2011, 10:24:18 PM »

what's up with "Funky Pretty"?  How involved was Brian on that tune, i hear his finger prints more on that song than any others on the album.  Was he actively into that song or was it just a melody the rest of the band built off

Co-wrote it, plays drums, sings on it.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: October 09, 2011, 11:31:46 PM »

Co-wrote it, plays drums, sings on it.

Safe to assume Brian came up with the basis for it musically, melodically etc. and Mike and Jack contributed more in the way of lyrics? Overall, I know the latter two probably added a bit musically etc.

The tag of "Funky Pretty" is so mindblowingly complex in some ways. I think I could listen to it on a loop for a couple hours before wanting to move onto something else.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1912 on: October 09, 2011, 11:33:48 PM »

Mike wrote most of the words, Jack wrote the gay parisee usay asee part.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: October 10, 2011, 10:52:10 AM »

I've got a strange non-beach boy question...

How much would an EMI original Beatles Acetate be worth? Especially one for one of McCartneys most famous songs?

CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: October 10, 2011, 12:15:18 PM »

This may be a stupid question and may have been answered already but do you think the Beach Boys are aware of how good their music is? I often read interviews with Brian where he says that a song was a bit simple or he didn't like the melody etc but do you think they all at some point have stood back and gone "WOW"? I wonder if Dennis and Carl knew we all think their music/voices/shows were amazing to say the least?
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: October 10, 2011, 01:49:49 PM »

This may be a stupid question and may have been answered already but do you think the Beach Boys are aware of how good their music is? I often read interviews with Brian where he says that a song was a bit simple or he didn't like the melody etc but do you think they all at some point have stood back and gone "WOW"? I wonder if Dennis and Carl knew we all think their music/voices/shows were amazing to say the least?

I'm sure they realized their two brothers' talents but to me Brian and Dennis (probably Carl but I dont know he was so reserved) never seemed like the kind of people who would acknowledge how good something they wrote is. I'm sure there were "holy f*** that sounds awesome" moments, but we know how Dennis moved on from POB before it was even released. And here we are almost 35 years later....

Brian has moments of self-deprecation but I'm sure he secretly plays some of his tunes on repeat for hours on end.

To answer your question, I dont know.

No mas, por favor.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: October 10, 2011, 01:54:27 PM »

I'm sure they realized their two brothers' talents but to me Brian and Dennis (probably Carl but I dont know he was so reserved) never seemed like the kind of people who would acknowledge how good something they wrote is. I'm sure there were "holy f*ck that sounds awesome" moments, but we know how Dennis moved on from POB before it was even released. And here we are almost 35 years later....

Brian has moments of self-deprecation but I'm sure he secretly plays some of his tunes on repeat for hours on end.

To answer your question, I dont know.
Brian probably still plays "be my baby" on repeat Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: October 30, 2011, 06:07:10 PM »

I was wondering about liner notes for any "rarities" packages...more along the lines of b00ts...I've only printed out the ones for the Dumb Angel Rarities....but I'd like more, anyone know a good source that has them all printable?
BTW, is there liner notes for the Essential Live Rarities? (the 5 or 6 disc set?)

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: November 03, 2011, 09:22:15 PM »

Does anybody know anything about Brian and Tina Turner/Ike Turner 'hanging out' back in the 70's at all? 

I saw an 'intervention' show on t.v. a while back, the guy that was the focus of the show grew up in L.a. with some famous parents (can't remember who, somebody in a band like BTO or something)... he was a drug addict, and said that he was introduced to all of that because his parents had parties all the time in the 70's, so he was around Brian Wilson, Tina Turner, Ike Turner, and a bunch of other people as a child watching them party.

Any stories or anybody know anything about that? 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1919 on: November 03, 2011, 11:08:52 PM »

Does anybody know anything about Brian and Tina Turner/Ike Turner 'hanging out' back in the 70's at all? 

I saw an 'intervention' show on t.v. a while back, the guy that was the focus of the show grew up in L.a. with some famous parents (can't remember who, somebody in a band like BTO or something)... he was a drug addict, and said that he was introduced to all of that because his parents had parties all the time in the 70's, so he was around Brian Wilson, Tina Turner, Ike Turner, and a bunch of other people as a child watching them party.

Any stories or anybody know anything about that? 

Well, that might explain Brian & Sandler recording at Bolic in February 1972.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1920 on: November 06, 2011, 04:00:41 PM »

Who put together that "disco medley" that I remember hearing on a "rarities disc". Wasn't it a radio promo for Here Comes the Night (LA)? Did they just picked the hits or ones that would sound good with a disco mix over it? I remember hearing You're So Good to Me on it with a disco backbeat (gag!)

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: November 07, 2011, 06:34:55 AM »

I remember reading in (I think) the Tour booklet for Smile that Blue Swede's inspiration for the chanting on Hooked On a Feeling was from the Hawaiin chant on Do You Like Worms/Roll Plymouth Rock...is there any truth to this or just speculation?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: November 07, 2011, 06:47:49 AM »

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1923 on: November 07, 2011, 06:53:44 AM »

You're getting increasingly tiresome.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: November 07, 2011, 07:06:21 AM »

You're getting increasingly tiresome.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 07:09:21 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx