gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681070 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 20, 2024, 09:30:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1416908 times)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #1800 on: August 11, 2011, 01:11:07 AM »

Was WGL on the album(s) itself, or was it just listed on the back cover?

Just listed.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: August 11, 2011, 05:12:28 AM »

Concerning the booklet that was to be made for the Holland album, were there any prints made up for it?

Like the Smile booklets and prints of the Holland album with We Got Love listed on the tracklisting.

Don't know how many copies circulate of that Holland promotional booklet, but seeing that it's offered regularly on Ebay my guess is it's not that rare (but definitely worth buying!)

I think only a few (original) SMiLE booklets survived.
Holland albums that have We Got Love listed on the back sleeve: as far as I know only Canadian and French pressings contain that error. I'm not sure if there's only a small amount of Canadian pressings that have that error. It's being offered regularly, so my guess is that a lot of these were made. And I have yet to discover a French pressing without WGL being listed.
As far as I can tell, EVERY Canadian copy has WGL listed on the cover; none have ever surfaced without it. ( tho sellers will try and tell you they're rare; "let the buyer beware")

Likewise, I've been told there are French covers without  it, but again, I've never seen any evidence.

As to SMiLE booklets, I'm fairly certain the number is currently thought to be 10-15 worldwide, including the art department mockup(s). OF course, some Capitol employee could have kept a whole bag of them out of the landfill for themself, but there's no evidence for that.

Never seen a "real" number for the Holland booklets, but I'd think at least a thousand or two. Mikie probably has 20-30 or them...  It should be noted , of course, that unlike the SMiLE booklet (that was manufactured to be included in the LP) the Holland booklet was strictly a promo item, and never intended to be included with the LP.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 05:15:09 AM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: August 11, 2011, 06:56:30 AM »

Concerning the booklet that was to be made for the Holland album, were there any prints made up for it?

Like the Smile booklets and prints of the Holland album with We Got Love listed on the tracklisting.

Don't know how many copies circulate of that Holland promotional booklet, but seeing that it's offered regularly on Ebay my guess is it's not that rare (but definitely worth buying!)

Holland albums that have We Got Love listed on the back sleeve: as far as I know only Canadian and French pressings contain that error. I'm not sure if there's only a small amount of Canadian pressings that have that error. It's being offered regularly, so my guess is that a lot of these were made. And I have yet to discover a French pressing without WGL being listed.
As far as I can tell, EVERY Canadian copy has WGL listed on the cover; none have ever surfaced without it. ( tho sellers will try and tell you they're rare; "let the buyer beware")

Likewise, I've been told there are French covers without  it, but again, I've never seen any evidence.

As to SMiLE booklets, I'm fairly certain the number is currently thought to be 10-15 worldwide, including the art department mockup(s). OF course, some Capitol employee could have kept a whole bag of them out of the landfill for themself, but there's no evidence for that.

Never seen a "real" number for the Holland booklets, but I'd think at least a thousand or two. Mikie probably has 20-30 or them...  It should be noted , of course, that unlike the SMiLE booklet (that was manufactured to be included in the LP) the Holland booklet was strictly a promo item, and never intended to be included with the LP.

You know what's next to the Smile booklets in the landfill, right?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: August 11, 2011, 06:58:33 AM »

You know what's next to the Smile booklets in the landfill, right?
cartridges for E.T. the video game for Atari.  Grin

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: August 11, 2011, 07:02:32 AM »

wrong era

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: August 11, 2011, 07:25:25 AM »

wrong era
eh, so the Smile books were a little decrepit by the time E.T. was thrown in there, still a fun joke

~post of the century~
-Mikie

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: August 11, 2011, 07:34:15 AM »

Whats the story behind the song "our team"?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: August 16, 2011, 04:35:07 PM »

What's everyone's preferred order of sections for Child is the Father of the Man?

As much as Ilove the slow piano section/part (right before Surf's Up on BWPS); hearing it as one of the first parts (a verse perhaps) on the sessions seems so right too.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: August 17, 2011, 08:13:39 PM »

California Girls has been released at different speeds for many different releases:

The 2001 stereo remix is a bit slower than the mono mix as heard on 'Summer Days and Summer Nights'

The Stack-O-Tracks version is slower than the stereo remix but faster than the mono version.

(I was trying to make a mix using all three of these versions - but I noticed that each version had a pitch variation - so I lined all three of the tracks up perfectly at the head of the track in Logic, then I realized that they didn't all match up at the organ solo near the end...)

If they transfer these recordings directly from the tape, why are some versions slower/faster than others? And what version is the correct speed?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1809 on: August 18, 2011, 01:35:13 AM »

Recorded at MIU, late 1977.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: August 18, 2011, 12:04:55 PM »

What a story!...and the investigation comes to a close.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1811 on: August 18, 2011, 12:08:43 PM »

Sometimes simple is best - you can have too much detail.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: August 18, 2011, 12:20:01 PM »

Makes sense because it has the feel of a lazy MIU song.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: August 18, 2011, 01:45:18 PM »

Are the stereo remixes on the Warm Of The Sun compilation faked? Some of the tracks seem... off. Namely, All Summer Long and Let Him Run Wild.

In LHRW's case, I'm leaning toward it being a bad mix.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 01:58:52 PM by bakabaka » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1814 on: August 18, 2011, 02:12:22 PM »

Are the stereo remixes on the Warm Of The Sun compilation faked? Some of the tracks seem... off. Namely, All Summer Long and Let Him Run Wild.

No.

Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1815 on: August 18, 2011, 02:32:30 PM »

"All Summer Long" is basically what a Chuck Britz stereo mix ca. 1964 would have sounded like...backing track in stereo and the vocals in the center.  Like many of the songs remixed for Pet Sounds, "Let Him Run Wild" is created from the three-track backing track synced with the vocals recorded at Columbia.

I find LHRW to be one of the better remixes on that compilation.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: August 18, 2011, 04:51:37 PM »

I find LHRW to be one of the better remixes on that compilation.
It's just the vibraphones that drive me crazy when listening on headphones. Only in the first verse, though.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 04:59:09 PM by bakabaka » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: August 19, 2011, 03:50:24 PM »

Was Friends released in mono? And if so, is it a unique mix or just a fold down?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1818 on: August 19, 2011, 03:57:47 PM »

Mono fold-down in the UK, same for 20/20.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: August 19, 2011, 04:35:54 PM »

Was Friends released in mono? And if so, is it a unique mix or just a fold down?
Three songs do have dedicated mono mixes: Friends, Wake The World, and Little Bird.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: August 20, 2011, 04:39:19 AM »

Thanks!

Another thing. Watching 'An American Band'. Why are there several poor quality concert recordings when they talk about Pet Sounds - Sloop, GOK, Good Vibes, etc. It's mystifying, especially when they say 'Here's how amazing PS is' and then they play SLoop john B which has loads of mistakes..... Could they not license the mastertapes, hence alt mixes/live footage/audio?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 04:40:44 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: August 27, 2011, 05:36:09 PM »

Given that working with The Beach Boys was one of Van Dyke Parks's first major projects, has he ever commented about whether he learned much in terms of arranging or music-making more generally from Brian during this period? I know VDP had some of his songs recorded before (by himself and others) and that he had obvious talent already, I'm simply curious to what extent, if any, he credited (or still credits) Brian with helping him expand a bit in the songwriting department (non-lyrically, obviously)? Certainly it'd be a matter of implicit vs. explicit influence I'm thinking of here, and if any of the latter kind is known in any depth beyond the lip service to the Smile product and his former employer.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: August 28, 2011, 02:05:52 PM »

During the scene on Endless Harmony, when they first start discussing Spector, there's a shot of Brian playing on a drumset, the opening drum beat to Be My Baby, anyone know when that was shot and what it was originally for? Brian looks a little bit younger in that footage than during the interviews....I was thinkin maybe shot around IJWMFTT or OCA.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: August 28, 2011, 02:53:31 PM »

Given that working with The Beach Boys was one of Van Dyke Parks's first major projects, has he ever commented about whether he learned much in terms of arranging or music-making more generally from Brian during this period? I know VDP had some of his songs recorded before (by himself and others) and that he had obvious talent already, I'm simply curious to what extent, if any, he credited (or still credits) Brian with helping him expand a bit in the songwriting department (non-lyrically, obviously)? Certainly it'd be a matter of implicit vs. explicit influence I'm thinking of here, and if any of the latter kind is known in any depth beyond the lip service to the Smile product and his former employer.

I don't know, Van Dyke's arrangement style really doesn't seem BW influenced in a lot of ways - it seems informed more by 30's/40's Jazz or Gershwin or Disney soundtracks of the period. VDP seems rather fond  of Brian's seeming untutored nature (the whole 'Barco' thing) as arranger, whereas Parks comes from a more traditional background - he studied composition under Aaron Copland!

Does anyone wanna answer my 'An American Band' question upthread?

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: August 29, 2011, 05:40:35 AM »

Does anyone wanna answer my 'An American Band' question upthread?

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I'm wondering if the producers had the rights to use unreleased material (hence, "Fire"), but not the actual masters of hit songs. I seem to remember that every released track is represented by an alternate mix or version in the documentary. Similar to how BEAUTIFUL DREAMER could not use actual SMiLE recordings and, instead, used BWPS backing tracks to simulate the originals.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx