gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:51:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1406191 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1050 on: January 28, 2011, 09:18:41 AM »

yeah yeah. All I know is this Ebay listing, for a Marxophone, says it was used on that song: 
http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Marxophone-Vintage-String-Instrument-/230579076866

Um... actually, it only mentions "WGGT" as an example of a song using a Marxophone... unless Portishead, The Beach Boys, The All-American Rejects, Queens of the Stone Age, Failure and Incubus all managed to track down the exact same instrument to use on their songs.

This is what I'm reading...

It can be heard on these modern recordings:

"Sour Times" by Portishead
"When Girls Get Together" by The Beach Boys
"Another Heart Calls" by The All-American Rejects
"Someone's in the Wolf" by Queens of the Stone Age
"Blank" by Failure
"Anna Molly" and "Leech" by Incubus

I get the impression that there are quite a few surviving Marxophones out there and don't think the listing is trying to imply that the specific instrument being auctioned is the one that appears on any of the recordings mentioned; it's just the same model.

Oh I got that part!  Is that what AGD was implying? ( all of them using the same marxophone)  Nah...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: January 28, 2011, 09:56:36 AM »

Might as well try asking my moronic question here, googling isn't helping much.

Gershwin's music is supposed to come into the public domain soon, right? Does this mean the songs he wrote with Ira (or indeed others) come into the public domain with it, or do the lyrics remain copyrighted? Pardon my ignorance of copyright law, but there it is. Thanks!

I know that copyright in the States now extends from the life of the author plus 70 years.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: January 31, 2011, 05:11:52 PM »

I've been searching for this thread on and off throughout the day to no avail;

Can anyone link me to the thread where (I think) Steve Desper talks about how we can trade in (plus a small sum of $) our CD copies of Surf's Up and Sunflower to get his mix of the albums?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 05:12:50 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: January 31, 2011, 06:34:22 PM »

When did Carl/Al first sing the bicycle rider verse of Heroes and Villains in concert? Was it an impromptu thing? I've always wondered what Brian thought of it.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: January 31, 2011, 07:09:56 PM »

I have a question.
The other day, I was listening to At My Window and I know it's based on Raspberries Strawberries, does anyone know anything about it? I was thinking where Brian start's talking French, maybe that's the chorus;l just singing Raaaasspberries, Straaaaaawberries.
Does that make sense?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1055 on: January 31, 2011, 07:23:24 PM »

I think Raspberry Strawberries is an old folk song; I wouldn't be surprised but I bet that the melody is the same, considering it's Al.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1056 on: February 01, 2011, 12:26:39 AM »

I think Raspberry Strawberries is an old folk song; I wouldn't be surprised but I bet that the melody is the same, considering it's Al.

Old Kingston Trio (surprise !) number - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKAxV3rNBpo
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 12:28:54 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: February 01, 2011, 01:43:10 AM »

For fecks sake, Al.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Blake Alan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: February 01, 2011, 12:58:39 PM »

Can anyone link me to the thread where (I think) Steve Desper talks about how we can trade in (plus a small sum of $) our CD copies of Surf's Up and Sunflower to get his mix of the albums?

On page 9 of the Stephen Desper thread, he retracted the offer after his fee for the service was called into question (legally speaking). He said he wanted to consult with his lawyers before re-instating the offer, but I don't think it was ever brought up again. Perhaps the word from the legal men wasn't so good...

Here's a link to that page if you'd like to read it in his own words:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?PHPSESSID=f2d7fac54b8f3191ff2fdc111c982094&topic=1203.200
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: February 01, 2011, 07:25:16 PM »

What's the story with the scream during the fade of Be With Me?

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: February 01, 2011, 08:06:36 PM »

On page 9 of the Stephen Desper thread, he retracted the offer after his fee for the service was called into question (legally speaking). He said he wanted to consult with his lawyers before re-instating the offer, but I don't think it was ever brought up again. Perhaps the word from the legal men wasn't so good...

Here's a link to that page if you'd like to read it in his own words:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?PHPSESSID=f2d7fac54b8f3191ff2fdc111c982094&topic=1203.200

Thanks so much Bubblegum! I searched the Desper thread starting with the last page on backwards because I thought it was a recent post. I never made it back to page 9. It's a shame legality was in question - seemed only fair as we did have to buy the original version first.

Undecided

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: February 01, 2011, 09:18:19 PM »

There is always the possibility that the good Mr Desper rmight be willing to provide a select few hardcore fans with a copy for free. As long is he isn't legally selling it....

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: February 02, 2011, 07:32:36 AM »

About Van Dyke's Volvo: I e-mailed him and he said he is fairly sure it was a Volvo 123 GT (which by the way was a sportier version, with 115 hp!). He also mentioned that that car lasted for three years, after which he had a VW Bus, then a Rover sedan. These days he drives a Honda Hybrid.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1063 on: February 02, 2011, 08:32:27 AM »

About Van Dyke's Volvo: I e-mailed him and he said he is fairly sure it was a Volvo 123 GT (which by the way was a sportier version, with 115 hp!). He also mentioned that that car lasted for three years, after which he had a VW Bus, then a Rover sedan. These days he drives a Honda Hybrid.

A 70's Rover? I knew he was brave, but...  LOL

Still, very interesting piece of information (to me at least)

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: February 02, 2011, 08:38:08 AM »

Yea me too! Fits my picture of him nicely not to drive American cars. He also mentioned he had a 180 cc Yamaha motorcycle before he got the Volvo, but I believe I've read that elsewhere.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1065 on: February 02, 2011, 09:07:04 AM »

Yea me too! Fits my picture of him nicely not to drive American cars. He also mentioned he had a 180 cc Yamaha motorcycle before he got the Volvo, but I believe I've read that elsewhere.

Van Dyke's criteria for choosing a Volvo had nothing to do with nationality: when Brian asked him what car he'd like, he replied that a Volvo was the safest car on the road.

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: February 02, 2011, 09:13:17 AM »

I know that. The model that Van Dyke owned became the first car in the world to, in 1959, have three-point belts in the front seats as standard equipment. But the other cars he listed was also non-American.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: February 03, 2011, 08:49:55 PM »

I have a request and a question, all in one.

Concerning the pictures taken at the airport with Brian and the whole smile entourage (when Brian was headed to Mich. to oversee the guys play GV, I believe).

My question is how many different pics were taken? I only knew of the one that's in the Smile-Tour book with everyone posing, Jules Segal on the floor, Brian cheesing it, and so on.  I also know of the one towards the very back of LLVS where everyone is walking in the terminal. Didn't Brian have the first one framed in his home? Does it still exist somewhere? Or was it thrown out with the Smile tapes? ( Wink

My request is if someone could upload or point me in the direction of a site that has these pics in color.

Many Thanks!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: February 03, 2011, 11:24:04 PM »

Speaking of photos in color, is there any chance a new revision of LLSV would be made with all the pages in COLOR?

How amazing would that look?

Also, just a revision with articles from late 90s about Smile, then articles of Brian playing Smile songs here and there on tour, and then BWPS.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 11:26:56 PM by punkinhead » Logged

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: February 04, 2011, 12:04:01 AM »

Ok, I must be having a brainfart. What the heck is LLSV?

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: February 04, 2011, 12:06:10 AM »

Sorry,

Look Listen Smile Vibrate, The Smile Bible basically.
by Dominic Priore and others (I believe)

~post of the century~
-Mikie

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: February 04, 2011, 12:43:04 AM »

Sorry,

Look Listen Smile Vibrate, The Smile Bible basically.
by Dominic Priore and others (I believe)

Ehm, that would be Look Listen Vibrate SMiLE (LLVS).

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1072 on: February 04, 2011, 12:43:45 AM »

I have a request and a question, all in one.

Concerning the pictures taken at the airport with Brian and the whole smile entourage (when Brian was headed to Mich. to oversee the guys play GV, I believe).

My question is how many different pics were taken? I only knew of the one that's in the Smile-Tour book with everyone posing, Jules Segal on the floor, Brian cheesing it, and so on.  I also know of the one towards the very back of LLVS where everyone is walking in the terminal. Didn't Brian have the first one framed in his home? Does it still exist somewhere? Or was it thrown out with the Smile tapes? ( Wink

My request is if someone could upload or point me in the direction of a site that has these pics in color.

Many Thanks!

I've seen three different prints from that 'shoot', all b/w.

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: February 04, 2011, 02:12:33 AM »

IIRC, there were two colour "airport" pics featured in the Photo Gallery of Disc Two of the Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE DVD

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: February 04, 2011, 02:21:49 AM »

When Vegetables was declared to be the next single, how far did that go?
Was a sleeve made for it?
A b-side picked?
Particular version/mix?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx