gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:59:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 (+ 1 Hidden) and 54 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399411 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #900 on: October 21, 2010, 03:30:13 AM »

The landylocked one I have seems to have a bit of the first bar cut off, so the start would appear quicker.... Thanks for your help! That'll save me a day of hopeless internet searching

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #901 on: October 22, 2010, 08:56:03 PM »

This isn't a direct question about The Beach Boys themselves, but more of a question about peoples opinions. Ever since I first heard it on GIOMH, I thought that Carl's vocal on SOul Searchin' was pretty weak. His voice sounds very weak to me, almost like he was already sick by then. Does anybody else here think the same?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #902 on: October 23, 2010, 12:10:33 AM »

His illness: that's hard to tell, but chances are that he already was.

As for his vocals: his voice had changed in those last years, but I don't find them particularly weak om Soul Searchin'. If you hear him sing that bridge in the Beach Boys demo-version (which he nails btw) you'll think differently. But that one was replaced by a new vocal from Brian...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #903 on: October 23, 2010, 12:49:22 AM »

I think there's been enough heavy hinting and comments by folk who knew Carl pretty well to indicate that he knew he was very ill some considerable time before the official diagnosis in spring 1997.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #904 on: October 25, 2010, 12:01:33 PM »

Listening to Paul McCartney's Ram album.  Haven't heard the tunes I was familar with from this album in a long time, and never heard the album as a whole before.  I am finding myself amazingly taken by it.  Great album.  It also appears to be his most Beach Boys influenced.  There are several songs here - Back Seat of My Car, Ram On, Heart of The Country that seem Beach Boys like.   And Smile Away....??
What might have been the influence of Brian recording at home in McCartney doing this at the outset of his solo career?   The whole homey, family, love, everyday life kind of thing seems very Brian-ish.   
The other tunes are all very agreeable to me as well - Monkberry Moon Delight, Too Many People, Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey of course, and even the goofy 3 Legs...
jimmyboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #905 on: October 25, 2010, 10:45:49 PM »

I thought "Walkin'" was more of Al's tune.

because he's so short?

LOL In a world populated by midgets, Al would rule supreme.
He really looked weird at the "We Are The World" reunion last year.The poor man has a head the size of Baltimore! The color job did'nt help either.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #906 on: October 26, 2010, 02:12:18 AM »

As for his vocals: his voice had changed in those last years, but I don't find them particularly weak om Soul Searchin'. If you hear him sing that bridge in the Beach Boys demo-version (which he nails btw) you'll think differently. But that one was replaced by a new vocal from Brian...
i hate Brian's line in that song. It might have worked had he dubbed it in circa 1996, but in 2003(or whenever GIOMH came out) his voice was so different that the change from Carl to Brian is very jarring awkward. Not to mention that Brian does his best to shout the lyric out at the top of his head.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #907 on: October 26, 2010, 09:48:59 AM »

I thought "Walkin'" was more of Al's tune.

because he's so short?

LOL In a world populated by midgets, Al would rule supreme.
He really looked weird at the "We Are The World" reunion last year.The poor man has a head the size of Baltimore! The color job did'nt help either.

At least he's cut off the ponytail. Balding men should never grow ponytails. Never.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #908 on: October 26, 2010, 10:10:25 AM »

Except Mick Fleetwood. Wink Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #909 on: October 28, 2010, 10:46:42 AM »

Why did Al stop to sing lead on "Wouldn't It Be Nice" in the late '80s?

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #910 on: October 28, 2010, 10:59:37 AM »

Except Mick Fleetwood. Wink Wink

Smiley
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #911 on: October 28, 2010, 12:18:23 PM »

Why did Al stop to sing lead on "Wouldn't It Be Nice" in the late '80s?
It was probably getting out of his range. I saw Carl sing lead in the 90's and it was even tough on him.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #912 on: October 28, 2010, 08:07:55 PM »

I've never understood why the group always switched leads on certain songs. WIBN is one. Don't Worry Baby is another one that Al and Carl switched off on a few times. I think Don't Worry Baby might have sounded interesting with Dennis singing.

Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #913 on: October 28, 2010, 09:13:14 PM »

Listening to Paul McCartney's Ram album.  Haven't heard the tunes I was familar with from this album in a long time, and never heard the album as a whole before.  I am finding myself amazingly taken by it.  Great album.  It also appears to be his most Beach Boys influenced.  There are several songs here - Back Seat of My Car, Ram On, Heart of The Country that seem Beach Boys like.   And Smile Away....??
What might have been the influence of Brian recording at home in McCartney doing this at the outset of his solo career?   The whole homey, family, love, everyday life kind of thing seems very Brian-ish.   
The other tunes are all very agreeable to me as well - Monkberry Moon Delight, Too Many People, Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey of course, and even the goofy 3 Legs...

Great album and definitely Paul's most BBs influenced one. He was already working on Back Seat of My Car while still in the Beatles. One of the Get Back/Let it Be session tapes (January '69) has Paul playing and singing it at the piano while working out the lyrics. Somebody in the background mentions that it sounds like the Beach Boys, and he acknowledges it (even affecting a goofy American accent when singing some of the lines): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS2A7V4M2sE
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 09:14:15 PM by Ganz Allein » Logged
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #914 on: October 29, 2010, 08:44:06 AM »

I've never understood why the group always switched leads on certain songs. WIBN is one. Don't Worry Baby is another one that Al and Carl switched off on a few times. I think Don't Worry Baby might have sounded interesting with Dennis singing.
For the fun of it? Imagine touring as a full time job, playing (more or less) the same songs every night. Though a dream job to start with, even that can turn into a routine.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #915 on: October 29, 2010, 09:02:53 AM »

Because they could. Seriously.

Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #916 on: October 29, 2010, 01:51:04 PM »

Does footage of the Hawaii '67 live shows synched with the correct audio exist anywhere?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #917 on: October 29, 2010, 02:56:04 PM »

Does footage of the Hawaii '67 live shows synched with the correct audio exist anywhere?

Not unless someone did a rough sync somewhere along the line - that is, not officially. I know someone had a crack with one song.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #918 on: October 29, 2010, 10:14:17 PM »

Did Marylin or Diane participate in the recording of Rollin' Up To Heaven? I have listened to the song several times now, and I swear I can hear at least one female voice.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #919 on: October 30, 2010, 05:46:20 PM »

Not unless someone did a rough sync somewhere along the line - that is, not officially. I know someone had a crack with one song.
speaking of syncing, I've often tried to read their lips on the BB 1966 London dvd, didn't have much luck. I think I saw their lips singing Graduation Day, but who knows; I could be way off. Haven't watched it in forever.

Anyone have that audio?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #920 on: October 31, 2010, 01:59:06 AM »

One's "SJB", another "GOK". They didn't do "Graduation Day".

Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #921 on: October 31, 2010, 03:10:52 AM »

"Paul McCartney's Ram"

One of the few Macca solo efforts that is quite warm and that I can listen to all the way through.

Honk! Honk!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #922 on: October 31, 2010, 11:42:33 AM »

I wouldn't have thought they would perform GD, but then again, I thought it was on the setlist sometime in 66 or 67...like I feel they perform it on a pretty well known live boot.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #923 on: October 31, 2010, 02:31:47 PM »

I wouldn't have thought they would perform GD, but then again, I thought it was on the setlist sometime in 66 or 67...like I feel they perform it on a pretty well known live boot.

Just dug out a very old cassette from the 1966 tour - I stand corrected, they did do "GD"

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #924 on: October 31, 2010, 02:33:51 PM »

Might as well try asking my moronic question here, googling isn't helping much.

Gershwin's music is supposed to come into the public domain soon, right? Does this mean the songs he wrote with Ira (or indeed others) come into the public domain with it, or do the lyrics remain copyrighted? Pardon my ignorance of copyright law, but there it is. Thanks!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx