gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:58:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 (+ 1 Hidden) and 54 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399492 times)
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #875 on: October 17, 2010, 03:46:29 PM »

The track for "Sherry" was cut with the Wrecking Crew on March 29th, 1965...during sessions for Summer Days.  "Sandy" was cut later with the group on May 4th.
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #876 on: October 18, 2010, 02:37:58 AM »

The track for "Sherry" was cut with the Wrecking Crew on March 29th, 1965...during sessions for Summer Days.  "Sandy" was cut later with the group on May 4th.

I thought that might've been the case. They both sound veeerrryy representative of Brian's production style during that period. Bright and clear.

Why Brian recorded two master takes of the same song, overdubbing one with backing vocals during the time, and then shelving both, only to bring the first one back during the 15 Big Ones sessions, overdubbing his own vocal onto it, and then shelving it again, only to attempt versions during both BW88 and Imagination, FINALLY releasing it on the latter, in a form different in just about every way from the very first recording, I'll never know. That tune in it's various forms basically covers every major "voice" Brian ever had, with "Sandy" containing his original, sweet falsetto in the tag, "Sherry" sung by the "smoker" Brian, "Terri" sung by the "shouty" Brian, and the final version, "She Says" in his latest, "old man" voice. I would be the least surprised out of anyone if there was a version with his IJWMFTT voice too.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #877 on: October 18, 2010, 07:01:47 AM »

I thought that might've been the case. They both sound veeerrryy representative of Brian's production style during that period. Bright and clear.

Why Brian recorded two master takes of the same song, overdubbing one with backing vocals during the time, and then shelving both, only to bring the first one back during the 15 Big Ones sessions, overdubbing his own vocal onto it, and then shelving it again, only to attempt versions during both BW88 and Imagination, FINALLY releasing it on the latter, in a form different in just about every way from the very first recording, I'll never know. That tune in it's various forms basically covers every major "voice" Brian ever had, with "Sandy" containing his original, sweet falsetto in the tag, "Sherry" sung by the "smoker" Brian, "Terri" sung by the "shouty" Brian, and the final version, "She Says" in his latest, "old man" voice. I would be the least surprised out of anyone if there was a version with his IJWMFTT voice too.

have you heard Terri she needs me? what backing track does it use? or is it a different production all together?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #878 on: October 18, 2010, 04:19:12 PM »

have you heard Terri she needs me? what backing track does it use? or is it a different production all together?

As far as I know, it hasn't even been booted yet. If I could guess, it would probably be very similar to BW88's style of production. I'd be doubtful if it used any of the two original backing tracks, Brian's proved that he's quite willing to scrap a song and do it all over.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #879 on: October 18, 2010, 07:15:54 PM »

As far as I know, it hasn't even been booted yet. If I could guess, it would probably be very similar to BW88's style of production. I'd be doubtful if it used any of the two original backing tracks, Brian's proved that he's quite willing to scrap a song and do it all over.
That's what I thought.

Actually, earlier in the car, I was thinking about this, and I sang it in my imitation of Brian from the 80s (BB85/BW88), and it made total sense that that's how he'd sing it.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #880 on: October 18, 2010, 10:58:53 PM »

I love "Sandy" and "Sherry She Needs Me", but I hate "She Says That She Needs Me". I hate the drums. They are mixed WAY to high, and they just suck, in general. I hate the weird change in the line "I don't know whether we're gonna be together". The "Sherry..." chorus makes more sense musically. But I DISPISE how at the end, the line "Sorry baby, it's time we..." is repeated three times. I have not heard this done in any Beach Boys song or any other Brian Wilson song(that I know of), so why should it be done here? It's just dumb.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #881 on: October 18, 2010, 11:47:12 PM »

But I DISPISE how at the end, the line "Sorry baby, it's time we..." is repeated three times. I have not heard this done in any Beach Boys song or any other Brian Wilson song(that I know of), so why should it be done here?

All songs should be the same.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #882 on: October 19, 2010, 12:26:14 PM »

What was "Walkin'" rewritten as later?  Like didn't that song evolve into something else?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #883 on: October 19, 2010, 12:52:20 PM »

What was "Walkin'" rewritten as later?  Like didn't that song evolve into something else?

Morning Beat

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #884 on: October 19, 2010, 09:52:58 PM »

No, wasn't it an actual Beach Boys song?
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #885 on: October 19, 2010, 11:51:20 PM »

What's amazing about "Walkin'" is to think that this guy was recording songs like "Wonderful" only three years earlier. Not that "Walkin'" doesn't have some merit musically, but it's such a baffling transition. It makes me wonder if songs like this are the kind that  the rest of the BBs would "snicker" at, to quote Chuck Britz. He said that the BBs would laugh at some of the stuff Brian would bring into the studio after he his commercial peak had passed, as they felt that it was way beneath his level of talent.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 11:53:48 PM by Dada » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #886 on: October 20, 2010, 04:02:10 AM »

What's amazing about "Walkin'" is to think that this guy was recording songs like "Wonderful" only three years earlier. Not that "Walkin'" doesn't have some merit musically, but it's such a baffling transition. It makes me wonder if songs like this are the kind that  the rest of the BBs would "snicker" at, to quote Chuck Britz. He said that the BBs would laugh at some of the stuff Brian would bring into the studio after he his commercial peak had passed, as they felt that it was way beneath his level of talent.

My respect for the group has been lowered ever so slightly. Unless Al or Mike had something as good as "'Til I Die" or "A Day in the Life of a Tree" stashed away, I don't think they have much room to be saying anything as, despite their great amount of talent, they'd probably have had careers pumping gas if not for Brian.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #887 on: October 20, 2010, 04:08:03 AM »

My respect for the group has been lowered ever so slightly. Unless Al or Mike had something as good as "'Til I Die" or "A Day in the Life of a Tree" stashed away, I don't think they have much room to be saying anything as, despite their great amount of talent, they'd probably have had careers pumping gas if not for Brian.

and dentist!

~post of the century~
-Mikie

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #888 on: October 20, 2010, 04:10:13 AM »

and dentist!

I've been laying on my back
Like a freight train off a track
Trying to find a job to fit my trade...

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #889 on: October 20, 2010, 06:50:02 AM »

Is the version of This Song Wants To Sleep With You Tonight on the Do It Again single dramatically different than the version I've got on Landylocked, or shall i not bother trying to hunt one down?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #890 on: October 20, 2010, 06:57:17 AM »

Is the version of This Song Wants To Sleep With You Tonight on the Do It Again single dramatically different than the version I've got on Landylocked, or shall i not bother trying to hunt one down?

IIRC there is but one version.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #891 on: October 20, 2010, 09:41:52 AM »

I thought "Walkin'" was more of Al's tune.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #892 on: October 20, 2010, 09:43:17 AM »

because he's so short?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #893 on: October 20, 2010, 09:45:18 AM »

because he's so short?

LOL In a world populated by midgets, Al would rule supreme.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #894 on: October 20, 2010, 11:24:04 AM »

and dentist!

Which brings up one of my favorite scenes from An American Family. After the band gets $200 a piece for an early surfing song (or for signing with Capitol... it was something like that, anyway), everyone looks really excited except Al. Cut to the next scene, and Al is in his car explaining how he's going back to school. Then, Brian screams, in an accusatory voice, the best line in the movie: "You still want be a dentist, don't you?"
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #895 on: October 20, 2010, 11:27:37 AM »

and dentist!

Which brings up one of my favorite scenes from An American Family. After the band gets $200 a piece for an early surfing song (or for signing with Capitol... it was something like that, anyway), everyone looks really excited except Al. Cut to the next scene, and Al is in his car explaining how he's going back to school. Then, Brian screams, in an accusatory voice, the best line in the movie: "You still want be a dentist, don't you?"

That was indeed a cool line. Inaccurate, but cool.  My #1 was Murry's "Mike dear, you're sounding a little nasal". It's a lot funnier if you know the backstory about the movie's production history.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #896 on: October 20, 2010, 11:30:19 AM »

Chewing out Mike for sounding nasal would be like criticizing Lassie for barking.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #897 on: October 20, 2010, 08:42:45 PM »

I've heard it on quite a few rarities packages...I feel like there's a different beginning or it's more sudden at the beginning. idk what it is...it doesn't sound too good for a soft tune as such.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #898 on: October 21, 2010, 12:22:37 AM »

Chewing out Mike for sounding nasal would be like criticizing Lassie for barking.

LOL what a way to start the day...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #899 on: October 21, 2010, 01:45:22 AM »

I've heard it on quite a few rarities packages...I feel like there's a different beginning or it's more sudden at the beginning. idk what it is...it doesn't sound too good for a soft tune as such.

I've only ever heard the one version - in varying levels of audio quality, granted, but just the one.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx