gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:59:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 and 42 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399224 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: October 09, 2010, 06:32:50 AM »

Am I the only one here who REALLY wants to see Andrew's complete list, along with what actually made the cut?  Grin

Of course you're not the only one, look at who you're posting to, all Beach Boy-Fandom-Geeks

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: October 09, 2010, 11:25:54 AM »

I was listening to AM oldies radio, and I heard a song that must have subconsciously influenced Brian to write "You're So Good to Me". Either that, or they stole from Brian. Somebody stole is all I'm saying. The bass riff and variations on it appear in the song, most of them played on a kooky electric organ, and at points they even do  "lalalalalalala..." harmonies. The song, judging by the quality of the recording, sounded older than "You're So Good To Me", but it's impossible to tell. Has anyone heard it before or know what I'm talking about?
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: October 10, 2010, 05:00:01 PM »

A mildly amusing coincidence: Justin Timberlake is at least as talented as an uncaring Brian Wilson! Witness:
Hi my name is Bob and I work at my job
I make forty-something dollars a day

(Justin Timberlake - "Losing My Way")
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #853 on: October 10, 2010, 05:22:08 PM »

Am I the only one here who REALLY wants to see Andrew's complete list, along with what actually made the cut?  Grin

I'd love to see it as well. Typed it - yes, typed - and although I made a copy, I have no idea where it is.  Sad

What's this behind you r ear haha. Just kidding.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: October 10, 2010, 06:36:58 PM »

Hi my name is Bob and I work at my job
I make forty-something dollars a day

But I'm so happy 'cause
I just got my pay!

Brian probably thought that was a working class anthem.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #855 on: October 10, 2010, 06:45:56 PM »

Does a lead vocal exist for the Sandy outtake? The only vocals I have heard are "Sandy baby, it's time we said goodbye", as well as some harmonies at the end. Did lyrics for the song exist at this point? I'm wondering when the lyrics for Sherry SHe Needs Me were composed. Was it before or after Sandy?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #856 on: October 10, 2010, 06:46:45 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, "All This is That" was a fan's choice.

"ATIT" very nearly didn't make it - a good UK friend of mine had to make a phone call to the US pretty much demanding it was included. My sole direct input to the box (list aside) was ensuring the correct version of "Come Go..." was included: one of the box producers called me from the mastering room at Capitol to ask. Turns out each of the three thought the others knew which was the right one.  Any conversation that starts with "I'm going to ask you a question, please don't laugh" is going to be one to treasure. Grin

That's actually really cool to be part of that.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #857 on: October 10, 2010, 06:59:22 PM »

"ATIT" very nearly didn't make it - a good UK friend of mine had to make a phone call to the US pretty much demanding it was included. My sole direct input to the box (list aside) was ensuring the correct version of "Come Go..." was included: one of the box producers called me from the mastering room at Capitol to ask. Turns out each of the three thought the others knew which was the right one.  Any conversation that starts with "I'm going to ask you a question, please don't laugh" is going to be one to treasure. Grin

True. But it's rather sad when a group can't remember the "correct" version of one of their own songs.  Roll Eyes

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #858 on: October 10, 2010, 07:06:52 PM »

Who cares, it's a throwaway song anyway.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #859 on: October 11, 2010, 12:42:05 AM »

True. But it's rather sad when a group can't remember the "correct" version of one of their own songs.  Roll Eyes

Not the band... the three producers of the box set.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #860 on: October 11, 2010, 12:44:13 AM »

We care, because we like things to be documented accurately, or prefer it that compilations have the right tracks on them. It's called showing respect to the artist.

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #861 on: October 12, 2010, 02:32:25 PM »

not a question, just a statement.  Watching PTI on ESPN and Tony, while talking about what they'll be talking about finished with, "and what's up with Brian Wilson's beard.  Brian Wilson the pitcher, not Brian Wilson the Beach Boy".

though i guess that would have begged for a continuing joke too
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: October 12, 2010, 04:59:44 PM »

We care, because we like things to be documented accurately, or prefer it that compilations have the right tracks on them. It's called showing respect to the artist.

I bet you were tempted to stick an 'extra' unreleased track on there....  LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #863 on: October 12, 2010, 05:40:58 PM »

If it was about respect for the artist they would have simply not included anything by The Beach Boys from M.I.U. onwards.
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #864 on: October 13, 2010, 12:46:58 PM »

According to the Badman book, in October 1971 The Beach Boys played a couple of shows in Milwaukee with Jackson Browne and........Yes?!  As in "I've Seen All Good People" Yes?

If anybody knows anything about these gigs I'd love to know more.

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #865 on: October 13, 2010, 01:08:03 PM »

Suggest you recheck that - my copy of Badman has no Milwaukee shows in October 1971.

He says November 22nd... however, Ian's research says the show happened, but not with Yes. I know who I've got the college fund on.  Grin

Badman lists five November 1971 shows. Ian has found adverts and/or reviews for 17, and also proof that the Puerto Rico show was cancelled.

If you want a far more accurate listing of Beach Boys shows 1961-2000, researched in depth by Ian Rusten (and about 0.25% by me), try this place:

Bellagio 10452 - Gigs & Sessions

Later: just checked a Yes site - guess where they were playing 11/22/71 ? Correct, not where he claims: Atlanta GA, in fact. Didn't play Milwaukee on that tour at all.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 01:25:16 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: October 13, 2010, 01:49:44 PM »

Oops!  Yeah, the book says November, not October. 

Thanks for doing the leg work on that, Andrew.  I thought that sounded like a strange bill...wonder where Badman got that info?

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #867 on: October 13, 2010, 01:52:05 PM »

Oops!  Yeah, the book says November, not October. 

Thanks for doing the leg work on that, Andrew.  I thought that sounded like a strange bill...wonder where Badman got that info?

I'd imagine the same place he seems to have got a goodly degree of his information - made it up.  Roll Eyes

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #868 on: October 14, 2010, 12:38:08 AM »

I have a question, but I'm not sure how much can be openly talked about. I was wondering how the "Vocal Element" box set came about. It just seems like those concerts turned all out of the blue. Then again, I'm not really that knowledgable in these matters. Were the shows already circulating before that set came out?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #869 on: October 14, 2010, 01:49:26 AM »

I have a question, but I'm not sure how much can be openly talked about. I was wondering how the "Vocal Element" box set came about. It just seems like those concerts turned all out of the blue. Then again, I'm not really that knowledgable in these matters. Were the shows already circulating before that set came out?

Not exactly what you'd call 'circulating'... but they were out there.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: October 14, 2010, 10:24:45 PM »

Did Dennis take his brother Brian's drug addiction and mental illness seriously? You always hear and read about Dennis being Brian's biggest fan back around the Pet Sounds era, but what about when Brian started to go downhill in the mid 1970's and on? Did Dennis ever talk about the disasterous 1981 tour when Brian could barely sing or play?

Paulos
« Reply #871 on: October 15, 2010, 05:24:10 AM »

Did Dennis take his brother Brian's drug addiction and mental illness seriously? You always hear and read about Dennis being Brian's biggest fan back around the Pet Sounds era, but what about when Brian started to go downhill in the mid 1970's and on? Did Dennis ever talk about the disasterous 1981 tour when Brian could barely sing or play?

I don't know about the mid 1970's and onwards but I remember a quote (can't remember it exactly) from the Dennis documentary where he said something like that he would go to Brian's house every day and plead with Brian to let him know what he could do to help Brian, I think this was the 1967 onwards period, so it would seem to me that Dennis did car and take Brians illnesses seriously but by the mid 1970's onwards Dennis had his own problems to contend with
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #872 on: October 17, 2010, 12:54:40 AM »

Does a lead vocal exist for the Sandy outtake? The only vocals I have heard are "Sandy baby, it's time we said goodbye", as well as some harmonies at the end. Did lyrics for the song exist at this point? I'm wondering when the lyrics for Sherry SHe Needs Me were composed. Was it before or after Sandy?

I've always wondered about how Brian used a different take of Sandy to sing Sherry on than the one overdubbed with vocals in 1965. The one Brian sings on has more guitar, louder drums, more prominent drums, a horn section, no organ, etc. Unless he's singing on a heavily mixed and overdubbed tape of the original master - But again, I don't get why he would do THAT when the take was finished (at least, instrumentally) already. It's probable that the original lyrics to Sandy were simply Sherry's lyrics, with the obvious name change, considering the "Sandy/Sherry baby, it's time we said goodbye" part.

Guess that's just how Brian works!
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #873 on: October 17, 2010, 02:15:02 AM »

I have a feeling that the lyrics came later. They have the same awkwardness to them as "Tomboy", "Lizzie" et c.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #874 on: October 17, 2010, 07:02:57 AM »

I've always wondered about how Brian used a different take of Sandy to sing Sherry on than the one overdubbed with vocals in 1965. The one Brian sings on has more guitar, louder drums, more prominent drums, a horn section, no organ, etc. Unless he's singing on a heavily mixed and overdubbed tape of the original master - But again, I don't get why he would do THAT when the take was finished (at least, instrumentally) already. It's probable that the original lyrics to Sandy were simply Sherry's lyrics, with the obvious name change, considering the "Sandy/Sherry baby, it's time we said goodbye" part.

Guess that's just how Brian works!
Isn't Sandy the one with just the BB playing, whereas Sherry is the wrecking crew? My impression was BW was not totally satisfied with the Sandy version musically, though he went as far as doing some backgrounds before he made this decision, thus, what we've heard. Sherry is earlier, from Today era (right?) and it's a crime they never finished it (though the 76 version is weird/good). I imagine Mike would've come up with some good lyrics for it.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx