gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:41:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway (+ 1 Hidden) and 55 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399529 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #825 on: October 05, 2010, 12:12:39 PM »

I think I'll play it backwards when I am home tonight. I sense that there might be a 'hidden' Christmas Oratorio by Charlie Manson on it.

6 Cantatas, 6 instrumental interludes, and 6 spoken-word pieces. Genius.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #826 on: October 05, 2010, 05:41:48 PM »

In the liner notes to the reissued POB, it says something about the original POB album being just remastered. I can't remember exactly how it was put, but there is a sentence along the lines of "the original mix has been left as is, except for a brief "surprise"". What is the "surprise"?

Does anybody know?
Is it the part in "Thoughts of You" where the music  suddenly gets very loud for a few seconds?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #827 on: October 06, 2010, 08:01:47 AM »

In the liner notes to the reissued POB, it says something about the original POB album being just remastered. I can't remember exactly how it was put, but there is a sentence along the lines of "the original mix has been left as is, except for a brief "surprise"". What is the "surprise"?

Does anybody know?
Is it the part in "Thoughts of You" where the music  suddenly gets very loud for a few seconds?

I don't think so - I remember reading this part is very loud because it was supposed to be. I think it was loud too on the original LP - the 1990s CD was quieter, but it wasn't "true" to the original recording.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #828 on: October 06, 2010, 02:27:34 PM »

Did the Beach Boys ever record "Runaway" ?
I just know their great live versions.

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #829 on: October 06, 2010, 02:29:25 PM »

Did the Beach Boys ever record "Runaway" ?
I just know their great live versions.

Recorded a live version, overdubbed it for single release, had second thoughts and eventually put it out on the 1986 Sunkist album.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #830 on: October 06, 2010, 09:05:06 PM »

Whose idea was it to put "Our Team" on the Good Vibrations box set? It's a really bad... not even half-baked song. Then again, considering the era they were trying to cherry-pick, I can sort of understand how hard to must have been to do that and not make the BBs seem like utter sh*t. (Hint: It's impossible to do that. And they didn't even include "My Diane"!)
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #831 on: October 06, 2010, 09:44:56 PM »

I was going to make this a topic of its own, but then realized it's more of just an observation (and probably not all that interesting a one other than to me).  I made a list of the BB songs that went top ten (both here in the US and in the UK).
In the US

Surfin' USA (3)
Surfer Girl (7)
Be True To Your School (6)
Fun, Fun, Fun (5)
I Get Around (1)
When I Grow Up (To Be A Man) (9)
Dance, Dance, Dance [8]
Help Me, Rhonda (1)
California Girls (3)
Barbara Ann (2)
Sloop John B (3)
Wouldn't It be Nice [8]
Good Vibrations (1)

One could include their two Christmas hits (both #3 on the Holiday charts) Little Saint Nick and Man With All The Toys and have an album that could legitimately be called 15 Big Ones.  Razz
And yes, I suppose if we must - include Kokomo  and make it 16 Big Ones.  Roll Eyes

Edit: And I somehow had forgotten about Rock And Roll Music (5), so I guess that's 17 Big Ones!

UK Top Ten

I Get Around (7)
Barbara Ann (3)
Sloop John B (2)
God Only Knows (2)
Good Vibrations (1)
Then I Kissed Her (4)
Heroes And Villains [8]
Do It Again (1)
I Can Here Music (10)
Break Away (6)
Cotton Fields (2)

You could probably throw Darlin' (11) in there as an honorable mention.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 12:04:12 AM by Paul » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #832 on: October 07, 2010, 02:02:19 AM »

Whose idea was it to put "Our Team" on the Good Vibrations box set? It's a really bad... not even half-baked song. Then again, considering the era they were trying to cherry-pick, I can sort of understand how hard to must have been to do that and not make the BBs seem like utter merda. (Hint: It's impossible to do that. And they didn't even include "My Diane"!)

You should probably blame the fans. Remember, this was the selection process for the tracks on the box:

1 - Top 40 single hits
2 - established 'classic' tracks (subject to band veto)
3 - archive material (subject to band veto)
4 - gaps filled by the lists solicited from fans worldwide in 1992 (released and unreleased)

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #833 on: October 07, 2010, 02:35:18 AM »

How did they go about soliciting the lists from the fans, may i ask? Putting ads in the fanzines?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #834 on: October 07, 2010, 03:39:23 AM »

Were the fan songs subject to band veto as well? (I assume they were, but since you didn't write it out, I must ask...)

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #835 on: October 07, 2010, 06:32:14 AM »

Huh, I had no idea about the fourth selection criterion. Well, I blame all of you here, then, for the inclusion of such a horrible song where something less terrible from the same era (yeah, I know, that'd be really hard but I think it could still be done -- heck, they could've given us "Da Doo Ron Ron" or something!) would be much more desirable. Were there many fans who opted for bootlegged material to be included on the box set? I imagine so, and that a lot of it probably would have been vetoed for one reason or another...
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #836 on: October 07, 2010, 07:58:05 AM »

Our Team is actually more fun, way better and more Brian Wilsony than almost any other BB song from the 80's. I especially love Bri's imitation of Dennis in the harmonies.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #837 on: October 07, 2010, 08:45:52 AM »

How did they go about soliciting the lists from the fans, may i ask? Putting ads in the fanzines?

'Xactly.  The brief was to compile your fantasy 5-CD (that was the original plan) box, studio, live and unreleased (but no solo material). That was a fun thing to do.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 08:49:14 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #838 on: October 07, 2010, 03:31:15 PM »

aaaah, makes sense. Shame no 70's Live material made it on, because I bet a bunch of you suggested that! Did any of your 'rare' picks make it on, Andrew?

Our Team is pretty rough, but i couldn't tell you what I'd like to replace it.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #839 on: October 07, 2010, 03:56:37 PM »

A surprising percentage of my 'archive' selections made the cut, but I can't claim I was directly responsible for any single inclusion.

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: October 07, 2010, 05:02:05 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, "All This is That" was a fan's choice.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: October 07, 2010, 05:04:44 PM »

Oh and AGD I've always wondered, was there ever a reason given why "WIBNTLA" wasn't included?

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: October 07, 2010, 05:29:10 PM »

Oh and AGD I've always wondered, was there ever a reason given why "WIBNTLA" wasn't included?
WIBNTLA is essentially an unfinished recording...although its missing very little(guitar solo). I don't think there was much awareness of this track within the decision making hierarchy at BRI until about 2002, that's when it seemed to suddenly surface as an unbooted gem ...hence it was probably not even considered as a 30th anniversary box set contender.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #843 on: October 07, 2010, 05:34:51 PM »

My dream is for a new rareties collection to come out, and have that, 74 California Feelin', Lucy Jones, and the other admittedly few tracks I've never heard that actually still exist.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #844 on: October 08, 2010, 03:12:55 AM »

If I'm not mistaken, "All This is That" was a fan's choice.

"ATIT" very nearly didn't make it - a good UK friend of mine had to make a phone call to the US pretty much demanding it was included. My sole direct input to the box (list aside) was ensuring the correct version of "Come Go..." was included: one of the box producers called me from the mastering room at Capitol to ask. Turns out each of the three thought the others knew which was the right one.  Any conversation that starts with "I'm going to ask you a question, please don't laugh" is going to be one to treasure. Grin

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #845 on: October 08, 2010, 09:14:54 AM »

My dream is for a new rareties collection to come out, and have that, 74 California Feelin', Lucy Jones, and the other admittedly few tracks I've never heard that actually still exist.

Better yet, a 10 track album that is nothing but remixed versions of "Lazy Lizzie". Old bands do that occasionally. You could get Kanye West, Swizz Beats, Aphex Twin, Moby... whoever, man, but it would be great.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #846 on: October 08, 2010, 09:31:52 PM »

I was being serious LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: October 08, 2010, 10:11:17 PM »

Am I the only one here who REALLY wants to see Andrew's complete list, along with what actually made the cut?  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #848 on: October 08, 2010, 10:13:38 PM »

Nope LOL

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #849 on: October 09, 2010, 02:03:31 AM »

Am I the only one here who REALLY wants to see Andrew's complete list, along with what actually made the cut?  Grin

I'd love to see it as well. Typed it - yes, typed - and although I made a copy, I have no idea where it is.  Sad

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx