gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:58:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 (+ 1 Hidden) and 54 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399491 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #750 on: September 15, 2010, 04:07:00 PM »

i'd love if brian did "busy doin nothin" live.

He did it at one of the CWF shows.

Also did it during his UK summer 2002 tour.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: September 15, 2010, 04:15:10 PM »

I'm gonna have this chiselled on my tombstone, but...

No Landlocked album - never was, never will be. It was the working title for Surf's Up for, oh, maybe three weeks, a month. That's all.

But I've owned the Landlocked album for years!

Wait ... could it be, gasp, that my copy of Landlocked is a bootleg??   Smiley

Well... y'know... I'd be dubious.

I just realized my copy of the Landlocked album has gotta be legit, because no one on this board owns any bootlegs!

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: September 15, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »

What took you so long?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: September 15, 2010, 07:30:56 PM »

When/why did Carl start doing the Bicycle Rider line during performances of Heroes and Villains?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MBE
« Reply #754 on: September 15, 2010, 09:28:17 PM »

Yeah I don't like Carl's later hair do either. Last time it looked really good was probably 1983.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #755 on: September 16, 2010, 07:52:53 AM »

Anyone else know the 'Many Moods Of Murry Wilson' is available on mp3 from amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Moods-Murry-Wilson-digital-booklet/dp/B001KSRUEK/ref=dm_cd_album_lnk_alt

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #756 on: September 16, 2010, 08:43:11 AM »

Anyone else know the 'Many Moods Of Murry Wilson' is available on mp3 from amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Moods-Murry-Wilson-digital-booklet/dp/B001KSRUEK/ref=dm_cd_album_lnk_alt

Buying it to collect it, I see that. 
Getting it to actually listen?  WHA?

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: September 16, 2010, 08:55:37 AM »

Buying it to collect it, I see that.  
Getting it to actually listen?  WHA?

Eh, I just gave it an honest first time listen. As the liner notes (for the mp3 album) say (paraphrasing): Brian was inspired by the same music his father listened to (Four Freshmen, Martin Denny, Les Baxster) of which inspired this album - This album has an incredible exotica vibe on it.

Yes, some songs (The Happy Song, Plumbers Tune) sound like they are straight from the Lawrence Welk show (and I know Murry wrote songs for the show) but most have a great Nelson Riddle/Henry Mancini feel.

Thoroughly enjoying it thus far. I have to say 'Islands In The Sky' is THE best 'lounge' tune I have ever heard.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 08:57:05 AM by rab2591 » Logged

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #758 on: September 16, 2010, 09:10:35 AM »

Shame he didn't throw "Two Step, Side Step" on there.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: September 16, 2010, 09:18:58 AM »

Shame he didn't throw "Two Step, Side Step" on there.

and Kentucky Fried Chicken!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #760 on: September 16, 2010, 11:24:55 AM »

Eh, I just gave it an honest first time listen. As the liner notes (for the mp3 album) say (paraphrasing): Brian was inspired by the same music his father listened to (Four Freshmen, Martin Denny, Les Baxster) of which inspired this album - This album has an incredible exotica vibe on it.

Hell yeah!  I'm listening to snippets on amazon.  Am seriously digging some of the more Les Baxter-esque tunes!  Helps explain some of Baxter/Denny-isms in BW's stuff.  
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 11:37:08 AM by Menace Wilson » Logged

"Jeff, you care." --BW
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: September 16, 2010, 01:20:24 PM »

Hell yeah!  I'm listening to snippets on amazon.  Am seriously digging some of the more Les Baxter-esque tunes!  Helps explain some of Baxter/Denny-isms in BW's stuff.  

I very much recommend it! Besides the two Lawrence-Welk-like songs that I mentioned previously I find the album to be full of great songs.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #762 on: September 16, 2010, 04:15:24 PM »

Just to let you know, Us Britishers can listen to it on Spotify.... Don't let me suffer alone!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: September 16, 2010, 08:05:21 PM »

Who is "kenny"? On the Hartford 1973 recording, several references to "kenny" were made. Al says something like "Kenny has been found, so you can stop looking".

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: September 16, 2010, 08:50:56 PM »

On the documentary: Endless Harmony, during the section of touring (68-69) in Europe...it seems like footage is taken from another documentary with commentary by the Beach Boys while walking around. Mike's talking about being a tourist in England I believe and talking about the 'Lou' in the middle of the street (if that's what you call it) and Country Air is playing in the background. Dennis is sleeping on a train, narrating about a girl he met that night and I Went to Sleep is in the background. And Al's walking around with Our Prayer. What doc. was this from? Were the tracks added for that doc. or for EH? They're not very audible.

Oh, also, it's where Bruce is "directing" in the park and part of Loop De Loop (track) is playing in the background.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #765 on: September 16, 2010, 09:33:12 PM »

My vinyl copy plays fine.  But, for all the hype surrounding vinyl, it still has a number of potential issues, including warps, clicks and pops, and other surface noise.  Although most of today's vinyl is pressed on thick 180 gram vinyl, my experience has been that the pressing quality of most vinyl today is just mediocre, and overall is not up to the standards of the best high quality audiophile stuff available in the 70s and 80s.  This could be due to the fact that few vinyl pressing plants are still around, and from what I've heard, they are running at capacity.

I have returned some recent vinyl purchases due to these issues, but ya gotta remember that vinyl, by its very nature, is far more prone to flaws than CDs.  However, the larger graphics are totally cool compared to the much smaller graphics found on CDs.

Check your BWRG disc for warps by looking at the disc from the side as it plays.   Mistracking due to warps is most pronounced at the outer edges of the vinyl, which is what you are experiencing.  Another issue could be your stylus tracking force is set too low.  If you have a stylus pressure gauge, check your tracking force to see if it is within the specified range, assuming you have paperwork indicating what that is.  Otherwise, if no warps seems to be apparent, try setting it a little higher to see if that solves the problem.

How was the packaging from Amazon?  Their prices are good, but I have been very disappointed by their cheap vinyl LP packaging.  I have returned two vinyl albums to Amazon due to the covers getting beat up due their cheap packaging. Then again, I also returned my first copy of the BWRG CD I got from them, as it was shipped in a cheap bubble pack envelope, and and the plastic tray on the digipac was completely cracked from one end to the other.  They shipped the replacement in the same cheap packaging, but the second one arrived in fine condition.  This wouldn't have been an issue for me if BWRG was a jewel box CD, as I would have simply junked the cracked jewel box and placed the CD and inserts in a new jewel box.  But, that being said, I do have a distinct preference for digipacs as opposed to jewel boxes.

Thanks for the reply Custom Machine! Much appreciated. I don't mind extra sounds (as long as it's not extreme) on vinyl records. Like surface noise, some clicks and pops, especially on older records, it adds something to the album imo. They packed the item in a medium sized box, with bubble packets, probably what you described your CD was shipped in.
Is that the proper way to ship vinyl? I've received vinyl different ways from won auctions on eBay and purchases from other websites.
I didn't see anything wrong with the disc as far as warps or anything, though I don't know exactly what to look for. What would they look like exactly?
I tried applying different pressure but that didn't cease it from skipping-even used the anti-skate function. And what do you mean by setting it a little higher, the pressure gauge or the speed of the record playing? Sorry to hear you had a problem with your CD shipment, glad you were able to get it straightened out, unlike my vinyl situation here it seems.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #766 on: September 16, 2010, 10:06:48 PM »

On the documentary: Endless Harmony, during the section of touring (68-69) in Europe...it seems like footage is taken from another documentary with commentary by the Beach Boys while walking around. Mike's talking about being a tourist in England I believe and talking about the 'Lou' in the middle of the street (if that's what you call it) and Country Air is playing in the background. Dennis is sleeping on a train, narrating about a girl he met that night and I Went to Sleep is in the background. And Al's walking around with Our Prayer. What doc. was this from? Were the tracks added for that doc. or for EH? They're not very audible.

Oh, also, it's where Bruce is "directing" in the park and part of Loop De Loop (track) is playing in the background.
That's all from the late '68 to '69 European tour documentary filmed by Vic Kettle...which was unreleased/unfinished...but snuck out for a minute via gray market a couple of years ago. The soundtrack is dubbed on top of the silent footage in a sometimes random and amateurish way...but that footage is gold. The doc. ran about 60 minutes...but there's another 60 to 90 minutes of unedited footage that exists.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #767 on: September 16, 2010, 10:32:44 PM »

I wish these things would get a release!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #768 on: September 17, 2010, 05:57:11 AM »

That's all from the late '68 to '69 European tour documentary filmed by Vic Kettle...which was unreleased/unfinished...but snuck out for a minute via gray market a couple of years ago. The soundtrack is dubbed on top of the silent footage in a sometimes random and amateurish way...but that footage is gold. The doc. ran about 60 minutes...but there's another 60 to 90 minutes of unedited footage that exists.

I have a bunch of still photos form that tour/time( non-concert). I wonder if I got them from the same person responsible for the gray market video, which I don't think I got...

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #769 on: September 19, 2010, 01:13:23 PM »

Since SMiLE was never an official album will Capitol even bother to release a boxset?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 01:14:21 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #770 on: September 19, 2010, 01:16:49 PM »

isn't the issue more that brian doesn't want it
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #771 on: September 19, 2010, 01:23:13 PM »

isn't the issue more that brian doesn't want it

But even if he wanted it there isn't much of a market for a boxset (as much as say Pet Sounds)...so in lieu of that, would Capitol even bother to take the chance in the market?

(I know nothing of how much this stuff costs to make, or the "risk" involved for Capitol, so pardon my ignorance  Smiley )

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #772 on: September 19, 2010, 01:35:48 PM »

As a niche market product, there is a huge market for a box set. There is no true Smile album (unless you count BWPS), but there is a true Smile legend and a relatively small but proven-dedicated market. They can sell a package--as long as it consists of something more than just music, which is easy enough to share for free (ahem...)--for way above what that number of minutes of music should cost, because there is this ridiculously interested group of people who will buy anything new. The general public won't care and it won't chart, but if you're selling a 2-disc set for, say, $30 apiece at a limited run, you'll make out just fine. Because everyone here would bitch like mad about it, but they'd buy it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: September 19, 2010, 01:56:01 PM »

As a niche market product, there is a huge market for a box set. There is no true Smile album (unless you count BWPS), but there is a true Smile legend and a relatively small but proven-dedicated market. They can sell a package--as long as it consists of something more than just music, which is easy enough to share for free (ahem...)--for way above what that number of minutes of music should cost, because there is this ridiculously interested group of people who will buy anything new. The general public won't care and it won't chart, but if you're selling a 2-disc set for, say, $30 apiece at a limited run, you'll make out just fine. Because everyone here would bitch like mad about it, but they'd buy it.

Yeah, I suppose most of those who bought the Pet Sounds boxset would buy the SMiLE boxset. I'd settle for a two-disc $30 set....oooooh to hear 'Holidays' in proper quality......

Any chance any sort of SMiLE set comes out in the next two years?

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #774 on: September 19, 2010, 07:48:41 PM »

Who is "kenny"? On the Hartford 1973 recording, several references to "kenny" were made. Al says something like "Kenny has been found, so you can stop looking".
Can anybody answer this?

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx